Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: D&D online beta begins 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: D&D online beta begins  (Read 119933 times)
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 11, 2005, 06:47:25 AM

A good NWN PW is the closest you're going to get to a tabletop experence with worldly scope.

Speaking of which when is Bioware going to get off their collective pimply asses and give us a decent MOG-in-a-box.  The business model is already proven.  I want the NWN tools over a Torque-like platform with RunUO's flexibility.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #106 on: August 11, 2005, 08:07:27 AM

A good NWN PW is the closest you're going to get to a tabletop experence with worldly scope.

Speaking of which when is Bioware going to get off their collective pimply asses and give us a decent MOG-in-a-box.  The business model is already proven.  I want the NWN tools over a Torque-like platform with RunUO's flexibility.

or a Jade-Empire China/Japan themed MMO
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #107 on: August 11, 2005, 08:31:31 AM

NWN 2. Sort of. Or Dragon Empires or whatever it is that's their proprietary-world no-license RPG that's coming out around the same.

No one is going to provide MMOG in a box for less than a few thousand (for a license) or absolutely nothing (open source shit).

Also, I don't see Shadowbane on that list because the tears of failure cloud my vision.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #108 on: August 11, 2005, 09:13:12 AM

Need Jade Empire for PC, hopefully with someone like that chap who hacked the thief textures handling the transition.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 11, 2005, 11:42:05 AM

I have high hopes for Age of Conan, except Funcom still haven't bothered fixing lots of broken bits in Anarchy Online, and I take all pre-release hype from them with a big helping of salt. Hopefully Lost Eden, the AO's Jump to Lightspeed/Mechwarrior expansion, will fix at least some of AO's problems. And I say that with a straight face, knowing that SL and AI introduced more problems than they solved.

D&DO probably has elves in it. After WoW I will not purchase a MMO that has elves in it.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 11, 2005, 12:26:13 PM

I dunno....killing them was pretty satisfying.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #111 on: August 11, 2005, 12:36:55 PM

I'm more irritated with the humans in WoW. Who, oddly enough, all seem to have an upper lip like this guy:

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #112 on: August 11, 2005, 01:52:21 PM

NWN 2. Sort of. Or Dragon Empires or whatever it is that's their proprietary-world no-license RPG that's coming out around the same.

No one is going to provide MMOG in a box for less than a few thousand (for a license) or absolutely nothing (open source shit).

Heh.  Apparently I'm one of the few who actually read and clicked thru the link on the Minions of Mirth thread.  Everyone else was prolly too busy going "Massively Single Player?  WTF???".  It's an MMO in a box, for $25.  People seem to be indicating it's very configurable, as in being able to change the combat/spell systems, etc.  Most of the game logic seems to be in Python.

Admittedly, it's still in Alpha, and you can tell by playing, as a lot of the art is missing still, etc.  Given that the art has mostly been purchased by the two programmers as they can afford it...  It's not bad.  Apparently with the exposure they've gotten a bit more help with such, so maybe it'll move faster now.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #113 on: August 11, 2005, 05:01:27 PM

I use Everquest as a generic term for any fantasy MMORPG where you look at your character from that over-and-behind perspective as he runs around killing shit to level up.  Anyway, AC1 was one of the few other MMO games I actually bothered to play.  The events I heard described on Lum's sounded really cool, but the newbie game itself sucked mad ass, yo.  I can still hear that weird little stepped-on cat yelp of a drudge.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 26, 2005, 05:52:05 PM

Congratulations! Your account has been activated for the Dungeons & Dragons® Online: Stormreach Alpha.

:-D

Unfortunately, my testicles will be fed to rabid muskrats if I say anything else.
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: August 26, 2005, 06:23:22 PM

You don't even play games anymore. Ya bastard.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #116 on: August 26, 2005, 06:30:50 PM

Cal, if you're reading this....Umm...Help me and I'll help you?  undecided
schild
Administrator

Reply #117 on: August 26, 2005, 06:32:23 PM

Cal, if you're reading this....Umm...Help me and I'll help you?  undecided

Weak.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #118 on: August 26, 2005, 06:41:38 PM

I'm too bored to say much else.

And the reason for that boredom? Well, take a wild guess.

[edit] I just watched Intolerable Cruelty for like, the 15th time. That's how bored I am.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 06:48:29 PM by Stray »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #119 on: August 26, 2005, 06:51:31 PM

Cal, if you're reading this....Ill play until I read patch notes... then Ill wax idiotic for a bit as I go back and forth on wether I will play... then I will jump to another game for 2 weeks... rinse repeat  undecided

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #120 on: August 26, 2005, 06:58:15 PM

Heh, that was pretty funny, but I suspect nothing good can come out of this.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #121 on: August 26, 2005, 06:59:01 PM

Except for pissing people off that are not in the Alpha.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #122 on: August 26, 2005, 07:04:04 PM

No seriously, I usually don't care about betas, but I'm really looking forward to this game.

As for dogging me for hopping games -- Well, my video card didn't work in EQ2. Yeah, that's my fault. Then I spent money on a new video card (but then realized they're changing the entire class and combat system). *Sorry if I just want to wait.*

Doesn't matter anyways, my DDO account information is probably a little screwy. I've recently switched isp's, and I'm not sure if my beta register was with my gmail account or not. My forum information is up to date though, so maybe I'm Ok.

edited
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #123 on: August 26, 2005, 07:06:02 PM

Stray knows I am teasing.  I like him.  I do not like others.  But I know my role in this organization sir and "will not go there."

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: August 26, 2005, 09:45:03 PM

I use Everquest as a generic term for any fantasy MMORPG where you look at your character from that over-and-behind perspective as he runs around killing shit to level up.
Which is a very odd usage considering EQ was designed as to be played as a first person perspective game and sucked ass if you tried to play with the camera trailing for the first 5 years of it's life.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: August 27, 2005, 09:25:11 AM

Except for pissing people off that are not in the Alpha.
Didn't piss me off....
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: August 29, 2005, 05:53:49 AM

You don't even play games anymore. Ya bastard.

Well that's not entirely true... I still play HL2 DM (stray, schild, I'm waiting for you...) and UOGamers:Hybrid (occasionally, to refresh my houses).  Oh, and Canasta on Yahoo.

I'm completely burned out on MMORPG's, but since I was lucky enough to get into the DDO alpha, I'll be giving it some playtime.  My hopes aren't exactly sky-high.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 29, 2005, 08:53:31 AM

My old idea for death penalties: If you feel a game does not penalize death enough, wire clamps to your nuts and run voltage through them until you feel you've been punished enough for dying in a game. Meanwhile, I'll respawn and keep playing the game, thanks.

The inverse:

I'll go out and slay evil, enjoying the benefits of victory in balance with the penalties of defeat.  Meanwhile, you can build a sword out of cardboard and slay your couch over and over again, somehow enjoying the complete lack of consequences.

This gives me a flashback to my Mechwarrior 4 days, when some of us played only No Respawn games, and the rest of the MW4 community thought we were crazy.  Its not true that if one life is fun, then unlimited lives must be a gaming Nirvana.  The tension induced by the fear of a "real" loss can't be replicated by self-mutilation.  The human brain simply doesn't work that way. 

Theres a reason that every major commercial MMOG has some form of death penalty - and no, its not that they are all stupid and you alone have the ultimate answer.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 29, 2005, 11:17:15 AM

No sweat off my nuts, man. The genre has gone to shit since UO, so I don't play the games. I'll just sit on the sidelines and add in my 2˘ now and again. I just want to play a game and have fun, not be punished for playing. So enjoy your penalties. And your niche.

Me? I play guitars, not mmogs.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #129 on: August 30, 2005, 10:56:22 AM

/rerail 

I am looking forward to this game (it is in no sense a virtual world).  How the hell did you guys get into that wierdo musician chat anyhow?

Edit.  I bow down to Shockeye.  Good show sir.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 08:48:19 PM by Cheddar »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #130 on: August 30, 2005, 02:07:34 PM

*Frantically looks for the gaming thread.*

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #131 on: August 30, 2005, 02:24:19 PM

This thread has been cleansed. You can find the guitar-related stuff in this thread.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #132 on: August 30, 2005, 02:36:53 PM

Nice job, Shockeye! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 30, 2005, 08:43:24 PM

Quote from: Mesozoic
Theres a reason that every major commercial MMOG has some form of death penalty - and no, its not that they are all stupid and you alone have the ultimate answer.
There's a big difference between "some form of death penalty" and the tiered sadism that was old EQ. WoW technically has some form of death penalty, but who notices it? This isn't to say their 4mil is based on a death penalty that's little more than a financially taxed respawn (since that 4mil is based on VU's ability to hit markets no-one else apparently could). However, it shan't be ignored that WoW has probably the lightest death penalty of any of the fee-based MMORPGs, even UO, once people started caring about their gear.

Death penalties are a function of these games. Most games in fact, beit GTA, NWN, KOTOR, or an MMO. It's just a question of how obvious they are. The more obvious they are, the more negatively they impact the game because they detract from experimention. It's a tough balancing act. Too little and people don't care. Too much and people don't want to play.

Do people care less about their actions in current WoW than old EQ? Yea, probably. But there's a whole lot more of them not caring now than those who did back then. So who's right?

Oh, and on D&D? Gonna be an interesting one that's for sure. It always was though. How to take an entirely-dynamic player-directed focused gaming experience and turn it into something that doesn't require that for a few hundred thousand people?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: August 31, 2005, 07:04:55 AM

This thread has been cleansed. You can find the guitar-related stuff in this thread.
Bah. It's not like any decent conversation can take place here, anyone who knows anything is under NDA.
However, it shan't be ignored that WoW has probably the lightest death penalty of any of the fee-based MMORPGs, even UO, once people started caring about their gear.
And they only cared about gear once OSI started aping EQ with itemization.

I mean, sure, we cared about our Katana of Vanquishing, but if you lost it, you could still clean house with GM-made stuff, easily available all over the map.

But in both WoW and UO, the penalty was more about time lost in running back to your body. Moving beyond that is, as you say, sadism. Thus my comments about electrified nuts. I quit EQ because every time my 54th level character died, I lost around three weeks worth of experience. So if I died once every two weeks, I was in retrograde motion. That's retarded. Punished for playing the game in a fun way, once I was killed exploring Luclin when it came out.

Saw some mobs, went to a safe distance and /conned them: indifferent (after dropping invis), one blue and two greens (aka no exp). Went to hail the lead mob, as he looked like a quest mob...killed in a couple seconds by mobs that conned safely. Lost around three weeks of experience, putting me one death from losing a level (!!) and a couple of my best spells. Quit that day, never returned.

Death penalties? You can stuff 'em where the sun don't shine, along with your comment about my sofa and cardboard swords. As I said, enjoy your niche, I believe most people would disagree with you. Blizzard would agree.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 31, 2005, 03:07:24 PM

Pretty much EVERY video game has a death penalty, not just MMORPGs. In most games if you die you have to start at the beginning of a level or area, continue from your last save point, use up a life of which you have limited numbers before the game ends, etc. It's just a matter of degrees.

Try to think of a game where any time you die you instantly come back to life in exactly the same spot with all your gear, etc, in any genre. Not so easy.

It's just a question of degrees. Death penalties that allow you to make repeated, substantial negative progress are probably bad. IN a short single-player console game dying enough times may mean starting again from scratch, but that's a game that lasts only a couple hours anyway (think Contra), not years.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #136 on: August 31, 2005, 05:21:32 PM

The problem I personally had with WoW was defeating another player never felt like winning.  I dont really care for PvE death penalties, in the form of EQ's massive xp loss I'm with you on that one but testing my skills against another person is meaningless to me if there is no penalty to the loser.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: September 01, 2005, 06:58:44 PM

Saw the various videos released, noted how everyone keeps running around all the time, regardless of where their party is, read about how the thief unlocked the chest and got all the loot before anyone else could, and decided it's not going to be DnD after all. 

I never ran everywhere in DnD, and usually the group moved slowly and together most of the time, and cooperated.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #138 on: September 02, 2005, 05:12:42 AM

Saw the various videos released, noted how everyone keeps running around all the time, regardless of where their party is, read about how the thief unlocked the chest and got all the loot before anyone else could, and decided it's not going to be DnD after all. 

I never ran everywhere in DnD, and usually the group moved slowly and together most of the time, and cooperated.

Sounds similar to my gaming group... but apparently we are a bit of an oddity.  From what I read around the intarweb, many groups treated D&D as a PvP game.  Such as tales of the large dungeon, with no traps or creatures, full of big piles of cash, and of the group, only one made it out alive.

Just like PnP, groups will vary.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: September 02, 2005, 07:03:46 AM

I dunno, I've seen the spectrum of AD&D groups. Hack & slash can be fun, but the best campaigns are those where the players get into the spirit of the gameworld. Since I was a 1st ed DM/player (still am, pretty much), I liked the rules that a higher level character attracted followers, it put a great spin on gameplay. Some players embraced their followers, set up a Duchy, dealt with the political fallout of that, and the game became half adventure, half diplomacy. Others treated their followers like paparazzi, "ye gods why can't you people leave me be?!?!"

Btw, the thread title is erroneous: DDO is still in alpha.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: D&D online beta begins  
Jump to: