Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: 9th ed? When? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 9th ed? When?  (Read 26970 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

on: August 18, 2005, 10:38:22 AM

Yeah I could just go find out, but I thought I'd ask.  I'm also wondering if you all are expecting to do a bunch of drafting and other fun stuff still?  I think I would rather work off 8 years of rust getting kicked in the head by people who aren't just random douchebags, better the douche you know then the...  well you see my drift.

Then again I've been debating MTGO for about 2 years so who knows if I'll actually do it, I have had issues with CCG spending in the past.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:22:41 PM

Yeah I could just go find out, but I thought I'd ask.  I'm also wondering if you all are expecting to do a bunch of drafting and other fun stuff still?  I think I would rather work off 8 years of rust getting kicked in the head by people who aren't just random douchebags, better the douche you know then the...  well you see my drift.

Then again I've been debating MTGO for about 2 years so who knows if I'll actually do it, I have had issues with CCG spending in the past.

9th Ed is going up online end of August.  I believe that we're going to have a private draft of it,  with any F13 or Corp folks that decide to show. (Cost would be 3 packs of 9th and 2 tickets,  approx. $14.  You keep all the cards you draft).

If you want to get started in constructed,  there's a F13 card pool you can borrow from.  Also,  a few of us have more than enough commons/uncommons to spare a few.  Just stay out of the "serious" rooms until you get your legs and a decent card pool to build decks with.

Speaking of....

Who would be in for the private draft?  I'm game,  and can rearrange my schedule as needed. 
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 01:40:11 PM

I would possibly be interested in the 9th ed draftage.  Depends on the day though.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:28:26 PM

Speaking of....

Who would be in for the private draft?  I'm game,  and can rearrange my schedule as needed. 

I'm game.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:32:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised, here are the detailed release plans.

I'll start by saying the SoK beta was a huge success in terms of execution and quality. We're VERY conscience of some behavioral issues and will take action to prevent that from occurring this time around.

General Information

Objective: Our objective remains the same - provide a high quality product. To that end, we expect beta testers to actually test cards and not abuse the opportunity.

Signup: We will not have an open signup opportunity for 9th Edition beta as we have thousands of applicants still available to us from the SoK signup. We will open signup for Ravnica later this year.

Beta Start Date: Beta testing will begin on Monday August 1st.

Core Testers: We have identified a core group of testers from the SoK beta that will be invited back for the 9th edition beta test. This group represents about 33% of the beta participants from the SoK beta.

Rotation: 400 new beta invites will be sent via email and in-game message on Monday August 1st. If we find that we need additional testers we will send out a 2nd wave of invites as needed.

Play Environment

Drafts: Casual drafting will not longer be available to beta testers. Drafts will take place via the draft queues and will be limited to "mixed sets", for example, Champions, Betrayers, Saviors draft queues will be replaced with Champions, Darksteel, 9th queues.

Sealed: Sealed deck will also use the mixed format at our discretion.

Constructed: Constructed play will be defined by what sets we make available. We will focus on 9th edition play and then mix in older sets per our testing schedule.

Mirage: If we reach our quality goals for 9th Edition and time permits, we may release Mirage to the beta servers.

Enforcement

Adepts: In addition to providing support and moderation, adepts will have full authority to kick testers that are abusing their beta testing privileges. There will be shadow adepts (invisible accounts) as well as undercover adepts (normal accounts/not marked as WotC or Adepts) policing the beta.

We will not tolerate testers that - join & drop, participate in simultaneous events or play with no intent to test.

Bug Reporting

Bug reporting: We will use the web forum used during SoK beta.

Known Issues List: We will use the same known issues list we used during SoK beta.

More flexible tools are in development but will not be available until RAV beta.

Release Details

On Sale Date: Monday - August 29th at 11:00 am PDT

Release Events Start: Thursday - September 1st and culminate in a release championship. Events details to follow in Scott Larabee's 9th Ed. FAQ

Release Avatars: Hell's Caretaker & Maro

Release Event Prizes: Details to follow in Scott Larabee's 9th Ed. FAQ

8th Edition Off Sale: We will take 8th edition off sale on Monday August 29th (before 9th edition goes on sale). You will be able to buy 8th Edition card right up to the pre-release downtime on Monday.

NOTE: If you plan on buying 8th Edition product please plan accordingly. We will not extend the off sale deadline for any reason including but not limited to (transaction issues, scheduled downtime, system crash etc). If you are going to buy 8th Edition cards, buy them on Sunday.

Core Set: The 9th Edition activation codes that come inside the physical 9th Edition box will not be active until next Thursday. Once activated, you will receive digital versions of both the 8th Edition Core Set & 9th Edition Core Set. The 9th Edition Core Set will be unusable until August 29th when the entire 9th edition product line goes on sale.

See you online,

Justin

I want in that beta.

I'm wondering how you "test" cards beyond playing them.

And also, Bugs?

There have been reports of people (allegedly pros) simply using beta as free drafting practice. That's what they mean by 'behavoural issues'.

I'm wondering how you "test" cards beyond playing them.

And also, Bugs?

I've never been in Magic Online beta, but....

I'd assume you need a fair amount of testing to make sure all the cards are behaving like they should be,  and catch the bugs.  Every now and then a bug makes it to play, which can be annoying as hell.  I've only run into it once or twice.

Just as an example:  Sensei's Divining Top.  It has a fairly complicated relationship with priority and when you can actually use it's ability.  For a while,  I think it was possible to play spells or use abilities on top of the "tap and place Top on top of your library effect" allowing you to:
1. Pay to use the scrying abilitiy of the top.
2. on the stack, put your "draw card, put top on top of your library" ability.

This gets you out of having to draw the top next turn.

For my part,  I knew people in the beta run last time.  Pretty much all they did was practice draft, without doing any bug reporting.  With this step ahead, they made sure to go to as many cardboard events as possible and clean up.

I bow to your superior laziness. Not being arsed to go look on the offical website would be lazy, but not being willing to look two threads down; that elevates it an artform.

wink

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:14:55 PM

I am in for a draft. As far as a deck building pool, I have started toying around with constructed now but nobody from Bat Country is ever online so I've been selling rares for tix and then buying what I need, which is a pain in the ass.

Not that my constructed decks are particularly good, but whatever. I like to make decks that are not cookie-cutter, and that can win. Maybe not be the best deck, but win.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 06:19:50 PM

I bow to your superior laziness. Not being arsed to go look on the offical website would be lazy, but not being willing to look two threads down; that elevates it an artform.

wink

Heh.  I did look, but went right over it.  Home from work with a sinus infection, and wanted to get to bed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  wink

Okay, Monday August 29th it goes on sale.  Release events start September 1st.  I'd suggest later in the week or on the weekend as a good day.  Is there a particular day or time that's better than the others?  A full 3 round draft with card selection and deck building takes approx 3 hours so I'd suggest 9pm at the latest. 

I'm a complete noob as to setting up a private room and starting the draft.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 06:24:16 PM

I'm in for a private 8th draft or two.  And I think private drafts may not require the standard two tickets, just packs. 
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 09:15:17 PM

I'm in for a private 8th draft or two.  And I think private drafts may not require the standard two tickets, just packs. 

Ahhh, great then.

The 9th release I did (cardboard) had a shitload of pain lands turn up.  Painlands should be worth good dough,  if you don't decide to keep them.  I think drafting 9th you should come out pretty well value wise.  Not alot of fat in that set.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 09:37:13 AM

I'm a complete noob as to setting up a private room and starting the draft.

Casual Play -> Limited Games -> New Trn -> Enter details -> kick anyone you don't like

I'm travelling most weekdays for a while, but if it's a weekend and uk-practical I'm in.

Back when all the cool kids played CoH TFs; 0900 Pacific / 1200 Eastern / 1700 UK / 1800 Euro worked pretty well for ppl.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 04:51:46 PM

Ok I actually installed this and the fear of $$$ going down the drain to VIRTUAL CARDBOARD almost made me remove it twelve seconds later.

But yeah it is still installed and at this point I still tenatively intend to play whatever practice system they have to get used to which buttons to push and then n00b it up bigtime when 9th comes out.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 09:41:11 PM

It actually takes a lot of practice to learn to stop screwing things up, for example when I started I constantly missed regenerates.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 03:05:44 PM

Welp it did not take long for me to have to stop practicing with those shit pre-made decks, gah I think I'm going to do a 8th ed draft just to practice how that works...  hopefully I wont piss anyone off too bad by taking too long at something.

-William Gibson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 08:19:51 AM

You'd better hurry up - server goes down to remove 8th ed in... oh, gone.

9th edition up and on sale within an hour or two.

EDIT : 9th now available.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:21:17 AM by eldaec »

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 09:57:12 AM

So I buy three packs in the store just for the heck of it..

First pack rare:  Verdant Force.  Nice! 
Second rare, opened 10 seconds later:  Verdant Force again...?  Well ok
Third:  Mana Clash.  Boo. 

Weird.  I think I'll go see if I can sell the forces for 10 or so  evil
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 10:48:05 AM

When are we drafting?   :-D

-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 11:35:39 AM

I have no money.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 01:08:41 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 01:51:57 PM

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 02:08:41 PM

Sorry, I could not help myself.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 09:45:02 PM

I'm gone all this weekend, but any time before or after then is ok with me.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 06:31:37 PM

Someone come up with some details for this, and if I can attend, I will.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 10:36:20 AM

I know its short notice, but how about tomorrow night for a private draft?  Say, 8 or 9 central time.   Anyone know if we need exactly 8 people for this?

I'm going to join a release league or two - I saw a wizards employee using the new Maro avatar, and somehow they made it look halfway decent.  Unfortunately, they did the standard craptastic job on the caretaker avatar.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 10:57:14 AM

I can play Mon-Thurs from 7pm-1am pst.  Excepting Wed 10-11pm pst.

So I think (central is two hours ahead right?)  I can make that time if nothing unusual comes up.  How long do drafts usually take?

-William Gibson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 12:48:21 PM

About three and a half hours. (though they are single elimination, so half the table is done within 90 minutes)

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 12:59:21 PM

Did a little research - you DON'T need exactly 8 for a private draft.  Less people is fine, I assume more should be as well.  So anyone not in Bat Country feel free to come and play, more people makes for a better draft.  Yeah, I'm talking to all you lurkers  cool  Rememeber, buy three packs of 9th before you try to join...      

Draft time can vary.  For those who lose first round, it can take an 1-1.5 hours (draft itself plus 2 out of three games). All the way to finals is about three hours I think, give or take some time for long/short rounds.  Haven't drafted in several months though, people who've been drafting more recently probably have better estimates.  

I'm thinking 8:00 Central time, which is 9 Eastern and 6 Pacific... that work for people?  And is Thursday (tomorrow) good?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 01:45:07 PM

Good for me. I can bring another person also, if needed.

EDIT: Any time between Thursday evening EST and Sunday evening is good for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 02:41:18 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

I can't make 6, I have a 70% chance of making 6:30 and I can assuredly make 7pm PST but 6 is too early for me thanks to the whole public transportation thing.

-William Gibson
Xilren's Twin

Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 03:02:15 PM

Did a little research - you DON'T need exactly 8 for a private draft.  Less people is fine, I assume more should be as well.  So anyone not in Bat Country feel free to come and play, more people makes for a better draft.  Yeah, I'm talking to all you lurkers  cool  Rememeber, buy three packs of 9th before you try to join...      

Draft time can vary.  For those who lose first round, it can take an 1-1.5 hours (draft itself plus 2 out of three games). All the way to finals is about three hours I think, give or take some time for long/short rounds.  Haven't drafted in several months though, people who've been drafting more recently probably have better estimates.  

I'm thinking 8:00 Central time, which is 9 Eastern and 6 Pacific... that work for people?  And is Thursday (tomorrow) good?

Thurs or Friday would be ok, but 9am EST is a little too early for me.  10pm would be better...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 03:02:26 PM

Thursday night any time is fine with me.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 03:05:41 PM

Lets make it 7 Pacific, 9 Central, 10 Eastern then.  Works a little better for me too.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 04:05:26 PM

I'm in  :-D

Name:  HoaxRe

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 08:02:46 PM

Lets make it 7 Pacific, 9 Central, 10 Eastern then.  Works a little better for me too.

Heh, sounds like I'm the only one on EST time.  Should be there.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 08:18:59 PM

I'm Margalis online. I'm in EST but I'm a night owl, late is fine. I can use an hour beforehand reading the spoiler to get some idea for what's in the set. Right now the only think I know for sure is if I see a Loxodon Warhammer I'm grabbing it!

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 09:13:23 PM

Hypnotic Specter is going for about 18 tix right now   shocked
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: 9th ed? When?  
Jump to: