Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Official 9th spolier up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official 9th spolier up  (Read 8736 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: July 26, 2005, 10:13:24 AM

Official 9th spoiler up.

One observation worth making is that as with kamigawa, the art is a million times better than everything before kami.

Ass

Not Ass

Ass

Not Ass

Also local enchantments are now also 'Auras' no doubt just to 'surprise and delight' everyone with some weird card type keyword interactions I haven't thought of.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 10:21:03 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 04:45:31 PM

Auras seem silly to me.  I'm not sure if they'll help the new players.  Probably put in just so they can make 'Super Arcane Global Epic Auras' a block or two down the road. 

As for the art, I totally agree.  When Mirage was announced, I looked through the set on MTGO, and I think I could draw better art myself for about half the cards.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 04:59:30 PM

I still miss some of the old classic artists. Mostly because some of the old art kicked amazing ass. City of Shadows, Nettling Imp or Time Twister anyone?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 06:43:05 PM

Hmmm....

I liked the old art.  Yes, some of it is simplistic, but I liked it.

Lanowar Elf (Revised,  pictured above) was almost abstract.
White Knight and Hypnotic Specter.
Terror!
I even liked the Serra Angel in the wedding dress.

I thought the circa 7th edition stuff was terrible.  Pretty much all of it.

I think the new art is pretty decent, but...  It's all pretty similiar.  And hypnotic specter now looks like he should be out looking for Frodo and the Ring....

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 07:39:13 PM

I <3 the old Caretaker. Also, Library of Leng. Might have been Douglas Shuler, but whoever did that is a god in my book. Yes, I'm too lazy to take 30 seconds to look it up.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 10:04:08 PM

The old Serra rocked. I'm not a big fan of the art these days, because there is too much sameness. Each piece looks nice enough but altogether they look pretty bland.

In the old days there was a very wide range of styles. Stuff from Quentin Hoover was almost cell-shaded for example. There were cartoony cards, painted cards, etc. I feel today the cards suffer from the same thing that happened to computer-colored comic books. The sum of the parts is less than the whole.

Of course, there is plenty of ass all around. I think the new Hypnotic Specter would look great if it were another card. A guy riding a fearsome dragon thing doesn't scream 2/2 to me.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 07:26:10 PM

9th release date has been announced on the official forums...

Quote from: Wizards guy
Official post coming tomorrow but here is the skinny

Beta begins early next week

Onsale date is August 29th, 2005

Release Events begin around September 1st

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 05:20:18 PM

There was a female artist who put a wierd little box with a stylized M on her pieces that I remember thinking did some really cool stuff.  But that was so long ago I might be mixing together like 3 different facts to create a memory.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 09:59:30 PM

Melissa Benson.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 02:22:44 AM

Qualify for the protour and you might be able to play this ...guy?:

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 02:06:35 PM

Melissa Benson.

She was at Connecticon 2 weeks ago.  Sadly I didn't have any of her cards in the few decks I brought.  Woulda been cool to get my Hand of Justice signed.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 08:44:16 PM

Am I retarded or did she draw some really cool cards?  I'd bother to find out myself but then what good are you all for?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 10:02:30 PM

Just go to the wizards site, use gatherer, and search for her name. I do like a lot of her cards. They tend to be very colorful.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 10:13:49 PM

Douglas Shuler and Daniel Gelon and Tom Wänerstrand for me. Booyakasha.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 10:14:58 PM

I don't like Gelon.

I would post stuff I like..but I don't keep up on which artist does what.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 11:15:15 PM

Ummm, Demonic Tutor.

Great Pic,  and great card.  The slight cartoonishness offests the fact it's a horned demon with pentacle on forehead.

I miss the old Llanowar Elf.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 09:16:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised, here are the detailed release plans.

I'll start by saying the SoK beta was a huge success in terms of execution and quality. We're VERY conscience of some behavioral issues and will take action to prevent that from occurring this time around.

General Information

Objective: Our objective remains the same - provide a high quality product. To that end, we expect beta testers to actually test cards and not abuse the opportunity.

Signup: We will not have an open signup opportunity for 9th Edition beta as we have thousands of applicants still available to us from the SoK signup. We will open signup for Ravnica later this year.

Beta Start Date: Beta testing will begin on Monday August 1st.

Core Testers: We have identified a core group of testers from the SoK beta that will be invited back for the 9th edition beta test. This group represents about 33% of the beta participants from the SoK beta.

Rotation: 400 new beta invites will be sent via email and in-game message on Monday August 1st. If we find that we need additional testers we will send out a 2nd wave of invites as needed.

Play Environment

Drafts: Casual drafting will not longer be available to beta testers. Drafts will take place via the draft queues and will be limited to "mixed sets", for example, Champions, Betrayers, Saviors draft queues will be replaced with Champions, Darksteel, 9th queues.

Sealed: Sealed deck will also use the mixed format at our discretion.

Constructed: Constructed play will be defined by what sets we make available. We will focus on 9th edition play and then mix in older sets per our testing schedule.

Mirage: If we reach our quality goals for 9th Edition and time permits, we may release Mirage to the beta servers.

Enforcement

Adepts: In addition to providing support and moderation, adepts will have full authority to kick testers that are abusing their beta testing privileges. There will be shadow adepts (invisible accounts) as well as undercover adepts (normal accounts/not marked as WotC or Adepts) policing the beta.

We will not tolerate testers that - join & drop, participate in simultaneous events or play with no intent to test.

Bug Reporting

Bug reporting: We will use the web forum used during SoK beta.

Known Issues List: We will use the same known issues list we used during SoK beta.

More flexible tools are in development but will not be available until RAV beta.

Release Details

On Sale Date: Monday - August 29th at 11:00 am PDT

Release Events Start: Thursday - September 1st and culminate in a release championship. Events details to follow in Scott Larabee's 9th Ed. FAQ

Release Avatars: Hell's Caretaker & Maro

Release Event Prizes: Details to follow in Scott Larabee's 9th Ed. FAQ

8th Edition Off Sale: We will take 8th edition off sale on Monday August 29th (before 9th edition goes on sale). You will be able to buy 8th Edition card right up to the pre-release downtime on Monday.

NOTE: If you plan on buying 8th Edition product please plan accordingly. We will not extend the off sale deadline for any reason including but not limited to (transaction issues, scheduled downtime, system crash etc). If you are going to buy 8th Edition cards, buy them on Sunday.

Core Set: The 9th Edition activation codes that come inside the physical 9th Edition box will not be active until next Thursday. Once activated, you will receive digital versions of both the 8th Edition Core Set & 9th Edition Core Set. The 9th Edition Core Set will be unusable until August 29th when the entire 9th edition product line goes on sale.

See you online,

Justin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 09:24:26 PM by eldaec »

schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 09:23:57 PM

I want in that beta.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 10:18:05 PM

I'm wondering how you "test" cards beyond playing them.

And also, Bugs?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 06:50:40 AM

There have been reports of people (allegedly pros) simply using beta as free drafting practice. That's what they mean by 'behavoural issues'.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2005, 05:33:55 PM

I'm wondering how you "test" cards beyond playing them.

And also, Bugs?

I've never been in Magic Online beta, but....

I'd assume you need a fair amount of testing to make sure all the cards are behaving like they should be,  and catch the bugs.  Every now and then a bug makes it to play, which can be annoying as hell.  I've only run into it once or twice.

Just as an example:  Sensei's Divining Top.  It has a fairly complicated relationship with priority and when you can actually use it's ability.  For a while,  I think it was possible to play spells or use abilities on top of the "tap and place Top on top of your library effect" allowing you to:
1. Pay to use the scrying abilitiy of the top.
2. on the stack, put your "draw card, put top on top of your library" ability.

This gets you out of having to draw the top next turn.

For my part,  I knew people in the beta run last time.  Pretty much all they did was practice draft, without doing any bug reporting.  With this step ahead, they made sure to go to as many cardboard events as possible and clean up.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Official 9th spolier up  
Jump to: