Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Lone Wolf... because I want to be a Magnakai! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lone Wolf... because I want to be a Magnakai!  (Read 3025 times)
Train Wreck
Contributor

on: May 01, 2004, 12:05:43 PM

Lone Wolf was my favorite book series in the 80's.  It was similar to those "choose your own adventure" books, but featured skill selection/character development, inventory control, and combat.  They are written by Joe Dever, who is a gifted story teller.

The plot is similar to the original Starwars Trilligy.  You are the last of a legendary class of warriors called the "Kai", and must defeat the evil emperor and rebuild the order.  But the silimarities of the plot end there --the Lonewolf series stands solidly on its own merit.

Fans of the series or the curious will definantly want to visit this site:
http://www.projectaon.org/
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 01:12:43 PM

If you like Dungeons and Dragons they are coming out with a Lonewolf RPG. I'll be picking it up because I literally owned every lone wolf book as a child.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 03:46:29 AM

For those interested it's the posting ONLINE of the ENTIRE book(s), so far up to 12 I think (plus 2 greystar the wizard books). All Downloadable AND HTMLized. So you can now play then for free.

So if you're looking for OLDSCHOOL gaming, you can't get more old school than this (unless they released the Warlock of Firetop Mountain online, but that's already came out as a D20 module).

(---> Just  started running a D&D campagin in Allensia. Unforutnaly Deathtrap dungeon is a level 8 adventure, so it'll be awhile before the party goes there).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
hectorvictorious
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 06:21:21 AM

Oh wow, that's a huge hit of nostalgia.  I  used to have the first 24 or so of those books, and I read them to the point of spinal disintegration.  The only 5 that I seem to have left are the 5 non-interactive ones, and they're just not as good.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 08:01:16 AM

They wrote non-interactive ones? I used to have one that was a semi-gamebook and world manual. It was called the Lone Wolf Companion or something like that. Man, to this day I wish I knew what happened to it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 10:48:57 AM

I think the site that I posted a link to actually has the LW Compendium in PDF form.  I haven't looked at it yet, so I don't know if it's the real one, or something that a fan wrote.

The site actually has the first 15 books online, the last three of which are part of the "Kai Grand Master" series and were extremely difficult to find in the day; probably impossible now (I only had Book 13, myself).  And they are the unabridged UK versions, which means that even if you were lucky enough to find them in the US ten years ago, the ones on that Aon website are better anyway.  They plan to get the entire series online eventually, including a series after "Kai Grand Master" that I had never heard of before now, in which you are one of Lone Wolf's students.

Definantly getting the LW RPG when it comes out.  Last I heard it was supposed to be this month, so it probably got pushed back.
hectorvictorious
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 01:19:50 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
They wrote non-interactive ones? I used to have one that was a semi-gamebook and world manual. It was called the Lone Wolf Companion or something like that. Man, to this day I wish I knew what happened to it.

A series of five books called "Legends of Lone Wolf," starting with, I believe the title was "Eclipse of the Kai."  

I remember the books being pretty awesome, but I was twelve when I last read them.  Not as awesome as the actual, interactive books, but still...awesome.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 09:52:19 PM

I found a 2nd hand book store 5 years ago that had a complete collection, which I now own :), though I only have 1 of the student-post-lone-wolf books.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 07:35:18 AM

Sadly enough I found one of my original Lone Wolf books today while preparing to move. I'm going to try to find the rest. I may have to get on Ebay. Man I loved those books.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 09:07:59 AM

Wow, there's some memories.  Gonna have to check out that site - I was a huge fan of them.  Hell, my books are still up on the shelf, though I haven't read them since grade school.  My char sheet is still folded up in the last book, too.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 09:53:51 AM

Mmm, I started reading those around third grade or so, and kept reading/collecting them for at least 7 or so years after.  Tried to re-read the beginning a few times since then, but kept getting sidetracked. :/

I know I at least have up to 19 (thought I had more, but don't see them around), plus the 4 Grey Star books.  Great stuff.  I think I never actually read the last few that I have because I kept restarting the series.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Lone Wolf... because I want to be a Magnakai!  
Jump to: