Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: 300 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 300  (Read 66961 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: July 28, 2005, 11:07:57 PM

Here's an original idea:  Let's take one of Frank Miller's old non-Marvel or DC Universe stories (from back before his writing turned to shit), and translate it almost exactly into a movie.

Well that's the rumor Ain't it Cool is posting regarding a movie based on Miller's old 300 story, anyway.  Not only that, but the rumor is that the guy who directed the Dawn of the Dead remake (Zach Snyder) will be directing this.  This guy must love sloppy seconds.  Not only is he "the guy that did that remake of Dawn of the Dead", but now he'll be "that other guy that made a movie based on a Frank Miller comic". 

Not that I'm surprised at a lack of originality in Hollywood mind you.  I'm just awaiting the inevitable backlash against comic book movies.  At least this isn't another superhero movie though, so it might slip by the public unnoticed as being based on a comic.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:04:56 PM by Velorath »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 11:11:07 PM

I liked the new Dawn of the Dead.

Also, I don't read AICN because Knowles is really really fat. So much so that I think that when he hits the caps locks to type it's an accident. People that big can't be trusted. Because they'll eat you. Seriously. He scares the hell out of me.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:18:02 PM

I liked the new Dawn of the Dead.

Also, I don't read AICN because Knowles is really really fat. So much so that I think that when he hits the caps locks to type it's an accident. People that big can't be trusted. Because they'll eat you. Seriously. He scares the hell out of me.

I don't like AICN because the reviews are self important ramblings that go on and on about the reviewers' childhoods to the point where you stop reading in disgust long before you ever get to the actual review.

That said, a lot of their rumors tend to be accurate.  And while I liked the Dawn of the Dead remake, it's hard for me not to like a zombie movie.  IMDB also has Snyder listed as doing a Rainbow Six movie to be released in 2007.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 08:22:36 AM

If you haven't read 300, you should. It's brilliant, and I don't see this as sloppy seconds. Really, 300 had very little similarity to Sin City other than the artist who wrote/drew it.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 12:27:18 PM

If you haven't read 300, you should. It's brilliant, and I don't see this as sloppy seconds. Really, 300 had very little similarity to Sin City other than the artist who wrote/drew it.

I'd be surprised if any of the studio execs who gave this the greenlight have read it.  I don't think 300 and Sin City have any similarity at all, but deciding to do a shot for panel translation of a Frank Miller so soon after Sin City seems more than coincidental.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 04:19:34 PM

<shrug>  If it turns out to be good, then cool.  We get another good movie.  Does it matter why?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 04:58:01 PM

If this could lead to a Dark Knight Returns movie...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 05:28:34 PM

If this could lead to a Dark Knight Returns movie...

I've always thought Ed Harris could make a good "old" Batman.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 05:49:21 PM

]Sean Bean as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Ron Livingston as Superman/Clark Kent.  My dream picks for Dark Knight Returns.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 05:52:09 PM

Without clicking that link I can only assume it's Ron Livingston from Office Space. In which case I say they might as well bring back Dean Cain. As for Sean Bean, he's not Batmanny enough. If Christian Bale is open to getting collogen injections, I'd say they should keep him.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 05:56:25 PM

Ron Livingston? Heh. If we're going for comedy, might as well make it Warburton.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 05:56:52 PM

The idea is that both are getting old and tired and pissed off, coping with it in their own ways.  Wayne is growing broodier by the second, if that is even possible, and Kent is becoming increasingly apathetic about his life.  From what I've seen of both actors in things like Boromir and Nixon(Band of Brothers), I think the two could actually pull it off pretty well.  Livingston would need to really beef up, though.

Oh, and a lot of people thought that same about Michael Keaton prior to Batman.  Actors can sometimes really surprise.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:59:33 PM by ahoythematey »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:49 AM

Keaton is my wife's favorite Batman.  Just sayin'.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 09:07:58 AM

Oh, and a lot of people thought that same about Michael Keaton prior to Batman.  Actors can sometimes really surprise.

Yeah, you're right.

Btw, did you know that one of Burton's first choices for Batman was Bill Murray?!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 09:11:50 AM

That's almost as bad as George Clooney.  Thank God Clooney never played Batman.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 09:58:42 AM

I like Clooney as Batman. Just not the movie and script that they put him in.

Warburton would make a great Dark Knight Superman. He's got the jaw, the look, and the impenetrable naivety thing down pat.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 01:40:52 PM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 02:54:01 PM

More news here

No slowdown of Frank Miller’s relationship with Hollywood is in sight, as today Variety confirmed the details of the deal that had been making the rounds for weeks: Miller’s 300 has landed at Warner Brothers.

The film adaptation of Miller’s Harvey Award winning 5-issue miniseries (originally published by Dark Horse in 1998 with colors by Lynn Varley) will be directed by Zack (Dawn of the Dead) Snyder, and produced by Atmosphere Pictures and Hollywood Gang Productions. Filming will begin October 17th in Montreal from a screenplay by Snyder and Kurt Johnstad.

Miller (currently busy with All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder for DC as well as Sin City 2 preparations won’t take as active a role in the production of 300 as he did with Sin City, though he will get an executive producer credit.

Also:

Gerard Butler, who most recently was seen in The Phantom of the Opera has been signed to star as Leonidas.

Haven't really seen anything he's been in, so I don't have much of an opinion on the casting

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 10:09:07 AM

I don't the characters in 300 are all that big a part of the story. 300 was always more about the mood, the artwork and the style. Snyder should be able to pull that off.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 07:31:32 PM

Slightly related, there's a pretty good Robert Rodriguez interview up here.  Among other things, he had a few things to say about Sin City 2:

Are you going to have the same kind of working relationship with Frank Miller on the sequels?

Robert Rodriguez: Yeah.

And is he ready to direct on his own?

Robert Rodriguez: He wants to, he loves it now. He says ‘I can see why you want to do this all the time; he can’t wait to get back on the set.

What are you guys working on story wise for the sequels?

Robert Rodriguez: A Dame to Kill For is the basis for the second one.

So which characters would be returning?

Robert Rodriguez: I think Marv (Mickey Rourke) will come back, before he died and Dwight’s (Clive Owen) in that one, Gail’s (Rosario Dawson) in that one, both Goldie and Wendy (Jaime King) are together, you see the twins together – one blonde, the other black and white, Miho’s (Devon Aoki) in that one, and then there’s a bunch of new characters.

And for the third?

Robert Rodriguez: Yeah, we’re still writing the script to see if there’s enough for a third one or we might just stick with the second one.

When is that going to start?

Robert Rodriguez: We’re supposed to start in January, but we might start earlier if we keep working up this clip.

Are there any actors you’re thinking of bringing on?

Robert Rodriguez: No, not yet.

Do you have a bigger budget this time around?

Robert Rodriguez: No, I’m going to make the sequel cheaper then the one before so it’ll probably be less.

So does that mean that the technology has improved that quickly?

Robert Rodriguez: Yeah, we did that on each Spy Kids, they just got cheaper; the third one had the most effects and was in 3-D and was less expensive then the first one which was made three years later.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 09:48:01 PM by Velorath »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 05:51:16 AM

Yeah.  Compare it to the spy kids sequels.  That'll work.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 06:08:46 AM

Yeah.  Compare it to the spy kids sequels.  That'll work.
Yeah cause Spy Kids 3D really tanked. No wait, it grossed $50 million more worldwide than the original Spy Kids did.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #22 on: December 25, 2005, 12:26:04 PM

New website for the movie has opened.

Not much on there yet though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 08:57:24 PM

I didn't much like the Spy Kids stuff, but for kid's movies (i.e. for what it was trying to be) they were decent. And they did do great box office, which is probably what gave him the pull to get Sin City done.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 11:18:03 PM

Trailer is up

Looks intriguing.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 11:29:08 PM

Seems to be treading a fine line between stylish and cheesy, at times looking really good and at times looking like something that was made for the Sci-Fi channel.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 11:58:27 PM by Velorath »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 11:32:02 PM

Gotta love the hawt babe action too. Historically, Spartans kept their women in a corral, head-shaved and cowed. They were brought out for breeding purposes from time to time.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Seems to be treading a find line between stylish and cheesy, at times looking really good and at times looking like something that was made for the Sci-Fi channel.

I agree.  It is still 7 months out from release though so you have to figure there is some post still going on even on those shots in the trailer.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 11:46:40 PM

I've got nothing bad to say about that trailer.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 01:55:26 AM

Trailer is up

Looks intriguing.

Wow.  I like the look of that.  Reminds me that I haven't read the GN in quite some time.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 07:46:47 AM

It keeps telling me trailer not found.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 03:27:21 PM

Over and out.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 08:47:30 AM

Spartans apparently listen to a lot of Nine Inch Nails.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 08:55:19 AM

Nope, now it's been removed by Warner's request. Fuck. Why stop people who want to give FREE FUCKING PUBLICITY to your upcoming movie?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 07:08:30 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: 300  
Jump to: