Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 12:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 541723 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #455 on: May 20, 2008, 05:47:46 AM

You said you wanted Thai curry too. Thai curry is extremely easy to make if you have an Asian grocery store near you. All you need is a good Thai curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, and possibly some chicken stock. Also coconut milk is good for you.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/brands.html

How the hell is coconut milk good for you? It's like 90% fat.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #456 on: May 20, 2008, 05:54:44 AM

Yeah, it's one of the only plant forms of saturated fat, too, iirc.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #457 on: May 20, 2008, 06:14:01 AM

Its fine.  Just don't drink like a liter of it.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #458 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:22 PM

Do you have a recipe for a good mayo? Something maybe flavoured will dill or chive?

Do you have Joy of Cooking? I just followed their directions for mayonnaise, then added finely, finely chopped herbs of my choosing (fennel, tarragon, thyme and parsley).

If you don't have it, it's basically 2 beaten egg yolks whipped with a slow, thin stream of oil until completely emulsified and aerated. You can do this by hand if you're a showoff or just use an electric beater or immersion blender. Then stir in a squirt of vinegar, a couple pinches of salt and a little spoon of Dijon mustard. Then add dill or chive.

I have some of my herb mayo left and was thinking of adding it to some soba with crab and maitake mushrooms. I bet it'd be great on some truffled French fries too. Oh goawwwawaood. swamp poop

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #459 on: May 21, 2008, 11:01:06 AM

Actually no I don't, I just wing my recipes. It's how I come up with some really great dishes.  But tonight, I think I am going to try making the mayo because the one you described actually sounds lovely.

Did I mention I'm on my way to your home for dinner?

I'll bring the wine.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #460 on: May 22, 2008, 07:37:42 PM

Cherry galettes with black pepper-Kirschwasser glaze
This would probably be great with Rainier cherries or even plums. I'm totally making them with plums in a few months. Makes 4 galettes.

Prepare the pastry dough:
1.5 c AP flour
2 pinches salt
3 tbsp sugar
8 tbsp (one stick) cold butter
~like 5 or 6 tbsp ice water

Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a food processor (or with a pastry cutter) cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal with pea-sized nubs of butter. Sprinkle in the ice water and stir together (or pulse a couple times) until the dough starts to come together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and mush the dough together into a ball. Quarter the dough and wrap each in plastic wrap. Fridge for an hour or freezer for 20-30 minutes until the dough resembles modeling clay in texture.

Prepare the fruit:
2 oz. (an airline bottle) Kirschwasser
2 tbsp blood orange juice (or 1 tsp lemon juice)
2 tbsp Bokbunjajoo (or other cloying red booze - I guess sloe gin would work), or omit
2 tbsp sugar

Simmer down to a syrup (thick enough to be brushed without making pastry soggy).

~6 c bing cherries, pitted and halved (this was like 8 handfuls)
1/2 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
1 tbsp sugar
pinch Chinese 5 spice

Toss fruit together with other ingredients.

Pull the dough out of the chiller and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out as thin as is praticable - you should get each ball to about 10" in diameter. Arrange the cherries fastidiously all concave-up as pictured (you think I'm just being fussy, but this will be crucial for pooling the juice and glaze). Brush the glaze over the fruit and give each galette another crack of pepper. Fold over the edges of the dough rustically (if you want perfection then you'd be making a tarte and not a galette). Brush the dough with some milk or cream and sprinkle a pinch of sugar over the top.

Bake for 10 minutes, then brush more glaze over the fruit. Another ten minutes, and brush some glaze. Then bake another 5-10 more minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Brush once more and cool on a rack. Serve warm with black walnut ice cream, thundershowers and Nude.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:42:49 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #461 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:18 AM

bump

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: May 27, 2008, 07:47:39 AM

I might have to try that with the cherries from our box this week. I have some kirschwasser I've been wanting to use up.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #463 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:17 AM

They're really easy. Once you get the cherries pitted you're looking at maybe 20 minutes of active time in the kitchen.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #464 on: May 27, 2008, 08:53:02 AM

16. Don’t store your bananas in a bunch or in a fruit bowl with other fruits. Separate your bananas and place each in a different location. Bananas release gases which cause fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Separating them will keep them fresh longer.
This is a technique I use all the time. Supermarkets always put out bananas that are not ripened and all green. I like bananas with no green color or taste at all, so I also buy one of the old dinged up bananas and lay it over the new ones (assuming I don't have old bananas at home). Instead of waiting days for my bananas to ripen, they usually ripen to edibility overnight. Just ditch the old banana before they ripen too much.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #465 on: May 27, 2008, 09:44:40 AM

You can also use the ethylene gas emitted by ripe bananas to get your orchids to bloom.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #466 on: May 27, 2008, 06:42:20 PM

Also if you peel bananas from the bottom you don't get strings.  They last longer if you wrap them in a towel and put them in the cupboard.  My aunt used to use bananas to make a face mask to make her freckles go away, too.  Smoking bananas is silly and doesn't make you stoned.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #467 on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:27 PM

I read the post. I read the part about smoking bananas and being stoned. Then I looked at the poster and saw Signe. For some reason I laughed for quite a while. I may have had too much beer tonight.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: May 29, 2008, 10:44:18 AM

I love cherries but I am slightly allergic to them. My immune system is a communist.

I wonder if grapes would be as delicious, or even perhaps raspberries.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: May 29, 2008, 10:53:45 AM

Frozen grapes are wicked. I never had them and my fiancee had popped some in the freezer and I tasted win. Great summer snack.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: May 29, 2008, 10:56:57 AM

I do the same with cherries. Food of the gods really.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #471 on: May 29, 2008, 01:19:12 PM

I like to put chunks of pinapple in the freezer and then top them with some lite cool whip for a lighter dessert than ice cream.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #472 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:58 PM

I love cherries but I am slightly allergic to them. My immune system is a communist.

I love roasted grapes. I make a warm chutney with them to go with pork chops.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #473 on: May 29, 2008, 06:54:24 PM

I like to put chunks of pinapple in the freezer and then top them with some lite cool whip for a lighter dessert than ice cream.

This sounds like pure awesome as I love pineapple.  I'm so doing this tomorrow.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: May 30, 2008, 07:38:07 AM

I love roasted grapes. I make a warm chutney with them to go with pork chops.

If I wasn't rolling sushi tonight I would so be doing this.

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #475 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:57 AM

Tastespotting is back up!

Someone talk about food  awesome, for real

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #476 on: June 30, 2008, 07:43:53 AM

I don't usually make many lamb meals in hot weather but I think I'm going to try THIS (or some variation) for the weekend:

It looks summery and has Righ's favourite meat.  I like an all in one dinner.  Of course, it all depends on if I can get a nice bit of lamb loin.  It's not always easy. 

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: June 30, 2008, 08:07:15 AM

I do the same with cherries. Food of the gods really.

Do you take the pits out and the stems off first?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #478 on: June 30, 2008, 08:56:17 AM

I don't usually make many lamb meals in hot weather but I think I'm going to try THIS (or some variation) for the weekend:

It looks summery and has Righ's favourite meat.  I like an all in one dinner.  Of course, it all depends on if I can get a nice bit of lamb loin.  It's not always easy. 

Righ, can I borrow her for a week if the lamb course comes out alright? My GF plays AoC and Half Life, so its an even trade I figure.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #479 on: June 30, 2008, 10:36:07 AM

Ooops.  I messed up my THIS!  Anyway, I'm not a great cook and this meal looks very simple.  I bet you could even make it, Engels! The lamb is just grilled in a very very hot pan with salt and pepper.  The dressing for the julienne veggies seems simple enough, too.  However, Nevermore now has me obsessing on swordfish! 

The lamb dish is really pretty though, isn't it?  Geez, did anyone besides me and Ookii look at those gorgeous danish on Tastespotting?   Eat  I bet Ookii can even make them, too!

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #480 on: June 30, 2008, 10:52:39 AM

Oh I just had the best BBQ I've had in awhile!  From one of the two best places in Phoenix!  Turns out it's only 5 minutes from where I work  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #481 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:16 AM

Oh I just had the best BBQ I've had in awhile!  From one of the two best places in Phoenix!  Turns out it's only 5 minutes from where I work  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

What place?
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #482 on: June 30, 2008, 11:51:02 AM

Stacy's Smokehouse

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: June 30, 2008, 12:33:35 PM

Smoking bananas is silly and doesn't make you stoned.

True, but eating Nutmeg will seriously mess you up...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: July 01, 2008, 06:04:09 AM

I finally got around to bringing some more kitchen stuff over to the new house, so we ate a meal with actual veggies last night. Marinated some chicken in salad dressing we used on the salad and then grilled it up, sliced it and had a baby greens salad with a few assorted veggies. My fiancee is a heathen and doesn't like grilled peppers and onions, I've been living off brats with grilled veg when she's not around.

I feel there should be a petition to stop the cultivation of iceberg lettuce. Always so disappointing when we get a salad in a restaurant and it's loaded with big white iceberg ribs. Bleh.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: July 01, 2008, 06:38:51 AM

Iceberg lettuce is a blight upon the culinary world.

Over and out.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #486 on: July 01, 2008, 08:00:09 AM

Aw, c'mon! A wedge of iceberg with blue cheese dressing is the classic side to a plate of prime rib. It's classic! And it's high in folic acid just like any other lettuce. It's so crispy and sweet! Don't knock iceberg.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: July 01, 2008, 08:14:33 AM

Ok, there are some applications. It's really good shredded due to the crispiness, too.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #488 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:13 AM

It's great on tacos and, although useless in any nutritional respect, a wedge of iceberg with tangy-sweet French dressing is wonderful. 

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #489 on: July 01, 2008, 11:58:11 AM

It's good on tacos and burgers (except when the fast food places stick a 2 inch thick main rib of it on your burger), but for salad I'd rather go right to baby spinach.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: