Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: fucking StarForce motherfucker cocksucker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: fucking StarForce motherfucker cocksucker  (Read 3549 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

on: June 13, 2005, 10:14:23 PM

I'm truly upset. The StarForce protection on GTASA corrupted the firmware on my pioneer DVR-108 to the point where it's not even flashable. I'm going to have to replace my DVD RW now thanks to Cockstar and their fucking 'copy protection'. I can forgive them making children kill people with shotguns, but this shit is unforgiveable. I guess I'll just go back to pirating everything again. Honest to fucking god, I wish I was a lawyer just so I could sue Rockstar and whoever the fuck makes StarForce for the replacement cost.

Remember my pain whenever you're thinking of installing a game with StarForce. It could be your drive next.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:18:01 PM

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:42:26 PM

I really you or someone in the similar position gets angry enough to sue fuckers for big lump sum and wins to discourage future copyright-protection fucktardy. There is no sane justification to subject paying customers to anal-raping copyright-protection; it doesn’t work that well against determined pirates and it at best incontinence at worse screws your paying customers.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:48:34 PM

Also anyone can explain to me how Straforce works? I was under impression that you need OS-level permission to even access firmware, less re-write it.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 12:11:24 AM

GTA has Starforce?  BUH?  It mentions that nowhere on the box.  Aren't they legally obligated to warn you that their game will potentially turn your drive into an expensive paperweight?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 12:43:04 AM

Would hijacking your computer be considered grand theft auto? What if the computer has rims and a sticker that says "Honda, Bitches" on the side?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 01:02:47 AM

I'm truly upset. The StarForce protection on GTASA corrupted the firmware on my pioneer DVR-108 to the point where it's not even flashable. I'm going to have to replace my DVD RW now thanks to Cockstar and their fucking 'copy protection'.
You might want to test your DVD drive in another machine before tossing it out. It might be the StarForce drivers that are causing the problem, not the drive firmware itself.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 01:06:29 AM

Supposedly if you go to www.star-force.com, they have a utility to remove their drivers.
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 01:38:05 AM

I don't think its starforce. I have GTA:SA and I looked for the usual starforce suspects... they hide in the device manager..make sure you are showing hidden devices and then go to the non plug and play drivers. It would show as "starforce protection driver"

Or it hides as sfdrv01, sfhlp02 and sfsync02. The descriptions are "Starforce protection helper driver", etc. Look in "system drivers" in your system information program under accessories in start/programs/accesories/system tools/system information.

I think GTA has securom7. There's a process running on my machine in windows/system32/ called uaservice7.exe which is securom7. I disabled it in the system information program and havent had any problems with it.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 08:13:21 AM

DOH! it is Securom7...

Regardless, I hate them both. Just to make sure it wasn't software related, I swapped out my current c drive and replaced it with my "control" drive. (I keep at least one drive in the closet with nothing but w2k pro and bare utilities, all verified to be working correctly when it goes in storage). I also replaced the cable on the off chance there was a problem there. Still no dice. So I tried flashing the firmware and that failed repeatedly at the 20% installed point. It might have just been a coincidence in timing, but it seems odd that it burnt a DL DVD perfectly fine right before installing GTASA, but then had problems immediately after I was done playing it that first time. Regardless, I got sick of dicking with it and got a Toshiba DLDVD burner. Sadly, they haven't gotten any faster in the last year, but at least they aren't almost 300 bucks anymore.

I'm tempted to reinstall GTASA to try out the infinately sad sex patch, but I feel like the game has fucked me enough already. hohaho, enjoy the comedy of my suffering.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:21:14 PM

Don't worry.  Soon as that new anti-intrusion law gets passed (focused on spyware) you can fire off letters of cease and desist with 10 year federal prison terms as a real threat.

EULA's do not mean you get to destroy private property.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 12:22:18 PM

Don't worry.  Soon as that new anti-intrusion law gets passed (focused on spyware) you can fire off letters of cease and desist with 10 year federal prison terms as a real threat.

EULA's do not mean you get to destroy private property.

I'm sure there'll be an exemption for copy protection measures to protect the travesty that is the DMCA.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 05:30:52 PM

Just use NoCD cracks and Starforce isn't a problem. Granted the only Starforce game I have installed to my knowlage is X2: The Threat, but with the NoCD it has given me no trouble whatsoever. Hell, the NoCD is even supplied by Egosoft themselves.

Wiiiiii!
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 05:47:57 PM

I would just like to take this space to say fuck all computers. Especially fuck printer+fax+computers.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: fucking StarForce motherfucker cocksucker  
Jump to: