Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Opinions on the state of the game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions on the state of the game?  (Read 19798 times)
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 10:52:47 AM

I'm just waiting for Vanguard.

lol

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 11:40:22 AM

I knew you were a catass at heart!  :-D

I just canceled my strat guide order. Amazon kept pushing the ship date out, and I decided I really don't care if I ever play GW again. I never even got to PvP in retail. Sigh.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 01:03:59 PM

Why are henchmen all but useless post-imbue?  What is the purpose?

Why is the healer henchmen the dumbest bitch imaginable? How the fuck can she continually run directly into the path of combat and not be expected to be ganked senseless?

The biggest problem I see with the game is that healing > everything else. If you don't have healing, you are shit out of luck, whether solo, PVE or PVP. Healing is just too strong or too needed. As soon as your healer gets ganked, forget it, you will lose.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 01:10:42 PM by HaemishM »

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 01:42:47 PM

Hah! I kind of like the PvE in a "brute force" it kind of way. If the PvE mission takes more than one try is when it starts to suck. On the other hand the most missions kind of play like a platformer because once you learn the trick (pattern) of the mobs you can avoid a lot of fights and just go for the boss. Can't say that I would want to run through it all again on another character.

Grinding for skills is fucking stupid though.

Done, visit the "Team Arenas" on a PvP character (or a RP character who passed the Dragon's Lair quest).

Ahh. Didn't notice they had adding one. Thought it was HoH only. Haven't passed the Dragon's Lair quest either.

Quote from: HaemishM
The biggest problem I see with the game is that healing > everything else.

Except most (all?) classes have their own self healing spells. I can't think if the Mesmer has any but I haven't played that class much.

Current PvP character is a E/Mo with Fire and Smiting. Area effect love.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:07:10 PM by Krakrok »
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 02:12:45 PM

Except most (all?) classes have their own self healing spells. I can't think if the Mesmer has any but I haven't played that class much.

Mesmers can suck Action/Mana/Power points from mobs and players for self-healing, can't they?
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 02:27:02 PM

Yes, Ether Feast.  Drain 5 Energy from target foe, and you gain X health for each point of energy drained.

But the healing that is available to other classes (with the possible exception of warrior or sometimes a necromancer, but even then) is nothing compared to what a monk can provide.  You are unlikely to survive relying on your own healing.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 02:56:19 PM

Monks are mandatory which great because they are second to last in popularity.  Its even worse in PvP, there are no competitive builds that I know of that doesn't have three monks.  My guild has played against guilds up to rank 45, they all have 3 monks. Any team without 3 monks crumples like paper.  Teams with more than 3 monks tend not to have the damage.  In fact the current fad, air ele builds, only works because the monks are so over-powered.

"Me am play gods"
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:58 PM

Double post.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 05:29:17 PM

I want to record what happens in a match.  What skills do they use?  What conditions, hexes, and enchants are on people effects? When did they end? How much damage did people do?

So tired of losing and not being able to figure what happened.

Agreed, a combat window would be nice.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 15, 2005, 09:57:57 AM

What it really needs is a way for me to save my 8 current skill picks into a "build" I can name. Allow me to recall any build I saved and have it put all those skills in my bar. I use different skill builds for PvE and PvP and for the most part I can never remember what I used before so I'm alway using different variations. If I discovered a good build in PvP two days ago I have no idea what it is now. This would fix the problem.

Two add ons to that would be maybe allow you to save a build into a "rune" and trade it? Or allow guilds to have a "build" bank where everyone in the guild could name and save builds to. Oh and allow me to pick a build I saved with my RPG character and create a new PvP character with it.

Just a time saver really.

The only downside would seem to be you would have people saying "OMFG you must use build X to be in this guild".

Edit: Possibly show the other team how many wins in a row your random 4v4 team has had already at the beginning of the match.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:08:23 PM by Krakrok »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #45 on: June 15, 2005, 11:05:10 AM

What it really needs is a way for me to save my 8 current skill picks into a "build" I can name.

I have joined several pick-up groups in ToPK, lately, that want to type out what skills I have.  The ability to report what skills you have to chat would help coordinate groups with people you have never played with before.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Reply #46 on: June 16, 2005, 02:29:45 AM

Okay, I've decided the #1 thing I want:

A fame granting tournament for teams of 4 and 6.  8 is just too much for me.  4v4 battles are more fun.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 16, 2005, 09:48:32 AM

The more fame you have should increase your transparency + blue ghosty look like the failed ascended people in the desert. Or some other "shiny" method of telling in towns who is a super duper hero. Remember kids shiny rewards > power rewards for PvP games.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #48 on: June 16, 2005, 10:36:51 AM

The more fame you have should increase your transparency + blue ghosty look like the failed ascended people in the desert. Or some other "shiny" method of telling in towns who is a super duper hero. Remember kids shiny rewards > power rewards for PvP games.

So is "fame" simply a bragging rights kind of thing, or is there in-game effects? I must have missed the memo that described what it's for :P

Rumors of War
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 16, 2005, 11:44:37 AM

The manual says that fame is used to increase your 'rank' statistic.

No, increasing your 'rank' doesn't do anything.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Llava
Contributor

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2005, 03:05:28 PM

You get skill points for fame, I assume each time you gain a rank.

You also get emotes at rank 3 and higher that only people of those ranks can do.

e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 31, 2005, 03:35:04 AM

They completely ruined the game by gearing it towards newbies and making everything way too easy. I guess it is impossible to find a game company that will just let a good thing be a good thing. They always get a case of "this would be cool's" and add crap after crap, all the while ignoring annoying bugs.

I haven't played in over a month, but at least if I get so bored that popping zits or taking care of seamonkeys starts sounding fun, I can always just go back in without having an account to have to reactivate.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #52 on: July 31, 2005, 03:51:23 AM

They completely ruined the game by gearing it towards newbies and making everything way too easy. I guess it is impossible to find a game company that will just let a good thing be a good thing. They always get a case of "this would be cool's" and add crap after crap, all the while ignoring annoying bugs.

I haven't played in over a month, but at least if I get so bored that popping zits or taking care of seamonkeys starts sounding fun, I can always just go back in without having an account to have to reactivate.

Which part of the game are you talking about being too easy?

--PvE?
--PvP?
--gaining PvP capabilities through actually doing PvP (faction system)?

Rumors of War
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #53 on: July 31, 2005, 11:40:29 AM

Funny, I thought it was people like you that ruin good games by encouraging pointless road blocks between the player and the fun (if the game has any fun, usually its just pointless road blocks)

I have lost interest in game.  The amount of effort to coordinate groups to construct builds drains much fun away from high level pvp, but builds are absolutely required now.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Reply #54 on: July 31, 2005, 12:04:56 PM

Funny, I thought it was people like you that ruin good games by encouraging pointless road blocks between the player and the fun (if the game has any fun, usually its just pointless road blocks)

I have lost interest in game.  The amount of effort to coordinate groups to construct builds drains much fun away from high level pvp, but builds are absolutely required now.

I agree about the builds.  It's a pain in the ass to find/make a group now unless, of course, you're a monk.

I really don't get the complaints about it being too easy.  Are you complaining because they added an actual reward for PvP instead of bragging emotes?

Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 01, 2005, 09:45:14 AM

Too easy? Riiiggghhhttt... you must be one of those clowns who was saying "too many people are level 20 they should raise the level cap".

I'm pretty much done with the game for the time being. And you know what? That's the way it should be since I break from the game feeling satisfied instead of feeling "wow this leveling really blows".
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Opinions on the state of the game?  
Jump to: