Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Mythic to make Warhammer online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mythic to make Warhammer online  (Read 50503 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 11:43:51 AM

Other than letting them continue to play?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #36 on: May 19, 2005, 12:40:35 PM

This game will suck.

The one good thing is to see how many races they can cut before release, we should totally have a pool.

I'm going with:
Chaos gets cut entirely as a playable faction.
Skaven cut
Chaos Dwarves cut
All non vanilla empire stuff = cut
Lizardmen cut
Bretonians will make it and end up looking, sounding and being Albion so semi-cut.
Goblins will not be a playable race.
Undead or at a minimum all the new fancy undead (tomb kings, blood knights, ect) will be cut.

Is that more then horizons cut from release?  (god remember how great that game sounded on paper?)

WH fantasy does not convert to a vanilla EQ clone at all, in fact neither game does.  There is only one part of the GW lines that deserves (in fact BEGS) for a MMOG and that is Inquisitor.  *sigh*

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #37 on: May 19, 2005, 01:07:13 PM

There is a market for RTS Warhammer (see Dawn of War), but RTS is such a stale genre. And I'm quite sure there's a larger market for accurate, multiplayer-capable tabletop translation than for an RTS version.

As long as I've been associated with video game conversions of  popular tabletop games (about 20 years now), this has been the case, yet I have yet to see anything as good as the old SSI WWII games (Panzer Group, Kampfgruppe, etc) I played on C64/128s.  Lots of folks yearn to satisfy the grognard hidden within by playing a game that takes care of all the fiddly calculations and just let's them channel Rommel, whether it is with Legionnares, Tiger Tanks, Hellcats, Mechs, or Orcs In Space.  Myth is about as close as I can think in 'modern' stuff, and it is still RTS.  Well, Close Combat probably is the same general thing, and moved at a turn based pace for me, even though it was RTS.

The one case I do have inside knowledge on tells me that the core game got started, and then the people at the top, who created the original game, got seduced by the possibilities, and revised the game out of all recognition, producing in the end an unplayable abortion that couldn't be released and turned the whole thing into a pariah within the company, never to be mentioned again.  Maybe that is the problem; that tabletop tactics seems too simple to be good to people who have been designing games for any length of time.  Maybe they keep getting dragged off by the lure of the RTS, or the RPG, or Civ, and lose the simplicity of what people have said they have wanted for years.

Or at least what people have said they wanted.  Here is where I really want that game design notation system Raph talked about.  I want to lay out the generic tabletop next to the RTS and the RPG, and Civ, so I can say 'I want this!  Not that, or that, or that, this!'.  And maybe then they could show me that I really didn't want this, and really did want that.  Or maybe they couldn't show me, and would then go ahead and build the simple thing I want.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38 on: May 19, 2005, 01:57:59 PM

It's just that you would think, after all these years of lackluster sales on their video games, and constant bitching of the fans, they might fucking get it. Just might. But these are the assholes who think it's ok to charge $50 for a plastic fucking miniature that's 1/100th of your army. Cockslobber, all of them.

It isn't as if they can't make recurring revenue off of the tabletop translation. I mean, as often as they change the fucking rules and release expansions/addendums/codices/army books, they could have a constant stream of expansions, a la Guild Wars. But they refuse to see beyond the cardboard and pewter, like movie studios and the music industry.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #39 on: May 19, 2005, 02:40:03 PM

Myth really was a fucking brilliant game, I do miss it and often re-find my MythII cd only to realize its broken when I try to install it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 19, 2005, 03:01:23 PM

Myth is one of the best things that ever happened to my computer. I still can hear my little explosive dwarves cursing and muttering. The multiplayer for Myth2 was one of the most strategically rich games I think I've ever played.  Supposedly there is still an active user community. I may have to go dig up a copy. Anyone tried to get it to work with WinXP?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: May 19, 2005, 04:48:13 PM

"Fallout", "Myth", "Marathon"....And it was Pee Cee "gamers" who were always making fun of my Mac back in the day. Pfft...I was blessed before anyone else.

It's amazing too that Halo single handedly saved the X-Box from almost certain doom. That was almost a Mac thing as well.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #42 on: May 19, 2005, 07:04:00 PM

Now, more than ever, I fucking hate GW. Hey, assheads, most of us who actually played your fucking games and paid out the ass for the privilege, would really just like you to translate your tabletop game DIRECTLY TO THE FUCKING COMPUTER WITH ONLINE PLAY. It won't kill your fucking business, you goddamn retarded limey monkeys, see Wizards of the fucking Coast for a goddamn example. The entirety of your electronic attempts, with the notable exception of the original Space Hulk and Dawn of War, have been unmitigated SHITE. Stop being pigfuckers.
Well, Wizards of the Coast did translate there entire pricing scheme to the online version as well, so your still paying the same amount online as you are offline.  I'm sure GW would happily make a direct computer version of the game if you had to buy virtual plastic elf models for $10 each to build your army, but I think even THEY know that probably wouldn't fly to well.

They're dumb ass's for not makeing a straight computer port though.  They could make tons of money selling the game, and even charge a subscription if they wanted for a really good online network.  I've been wanting to get into Warhammer Fantasy for years, but the cost always stops me.  Looks like alot of fun, but I'm going to have to wait till either they, or some board underground programmer, makes a direct version of their game online (Doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard to make a table top simulation).  Or they could just sell their products at a realistic price, but I know thats asking way to much.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #43 on: May 19, 2005, 10:23:22 PM

If they were not assholes, they would do 40K instead.
You hit the head on the nail.  Messing up a franchise is always a possibility, but it should be obvious that if they were actually trying to make something innovative, they would have chosen 40K instead of yet another elf-dwarf-wizard setting.
I agree. The world in 2007 is not going need another Tolkein/D&D Fantasy MMORPG. On the other hand an MMOFPS set in the WH40K universe would totally float my boat. However if WH Online allows you to play a Night Goblin Fanatic I'll buy a copy just for that.

Edit: fixed my mixed metaphor
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 04:40:26 AM by Trippy »
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #44 on: May 19, 2005, 10:39:25 PM

As I've said before, I've had no greater love/hate relationship with a company than with Mythic.  I attribute a great deal of that to the fact that DAoC was my first MMORPG.  The remainder I consider deserved.  I still remember some old blunders.  I could name instances, but I'd prefer not to alienate anyone.  There are some good sailors on that ship... it's just sometimes I'm not too sure about the captain or his navigator.  Most of the time, in fact.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #45 on: May 20, 2005, 12:31:16 AM

I'm sure GW would happily make a direct computer version of the game if you had to buy virtual plastic elf models for $10 each to build your army, but I think even THEY know that probably wouldn't fly to well.

Don't be so sure.  Everyone was convinced MtGO would bomb because no one would pay real money for virtual cards.  I bet if GW created a good, good-looking, free client interface to 40K, had a fully functional online mode with matchmaking and tournaments, and gave out free 'demo' armies with the basic grunt troops from each race, they could definitely charge full price for the other models and many, many people would pay.  The value of being able to fire up a game or a tournament at any time from your bedroom is enormous.  The draw of paying 'just $5 more' for that one model you need to make your army perfect is irresistable.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: May 20, 2005, 12:35:47 AM

Full price? No. WH4k is far more tangible than Magic cards. Replacing cardboard with pictures is feasible. Replacing pewter with pictures is near impossible. And stupid.

Could they charge 25% of the market price? Yes. And they'd make a killing.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #47 on: May 20, 2005, 12:46:42 AM

With a paint program that let you detail your army any way you want with mouse clicks (rather than huddling under a desklamp with a jeweler's monocle trying to get the eyesockets in the skull on the belt buckle right)?  You could charge full price.  Somebody do it right now, plzk.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 20, 2005, 05:32:30 AM

Full price? No. WH4k is far more tangible than Magic cards. Replacing cardboard with pictures is feasible. Replacing pewter with pictures is near impossible. And stupid.

Could they charge 25% of the market price? Yes. And they'd make a killing.

I don't see whats so hard about replacing pewter with 3-d models, include a good editor for making custom maps and network/pbem code and they should easily be able to sell a few 100k copies.  I'm clueless as to why they didn't do it five years ago though.

Maybe it's just bad corporate thinking ala RIAA, "Our business model relies on selling pewter and game books, if we sell stuff digitally no one will buy our pewter and gamebooks."

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #49 on: May 20, 2005, 05:53:50 AM

You guys are missing the point. Games Workshop has fucked itself to the point where they’re dying off. Their rules systems are complete and total shit and are only fun for retards. All their rules, including WFB. Here’s a secret for you: The “Old World” is fucking Europe. The “fluff” that people cum over is European history slightly modified and with Chaos instead of Mongols. There is nothing new, interesting, original, or compelling in GW fluff. Sure they started out pretty good, but at this point they’re nothing more than Yahtzee while you push some miniatures around a table while you wait for this months overpowered new release that costs $15 (for a single metal trooper). Their rules are shit so no self respecting adult wants to be seen playing them, and their products are now so expensive that parents won’t buy them anymore for the early-teen mongoloids the games cater too. The one advantage they have is there are still a lot of people with their miniatures out there playing in stores. That would be good, but they’re being suck cocks about only allowing the “current” releases of their miniatures being used in official events.

The bath they took on the previous incarnation of their online game coupled with no one actually buying their latest round of re-re-re-re-re-re-released armies is making their stock tank, and tank hard. See? They need an announcement to buoy their stock price. This is it. You shouldn’t be sad for GW, you should be sorry for Mythic for getting this pig of a license. GW is no longer relevant. They’re not going to die off completely, but the amount of space they get in stores is already much smaller than it was a year ago, and completely gone in many cases. They’ve been replaced by Rackham, Privateer Press, and even Mongoose’s new SST game. All three of those companies produce games for far cheaper, have far better rulesets, and quite frankly produce far superior miniatures-especially Rackham. Even their trooper miniatures are tear inspiring works of art.

If someone's going to make an online "miniatures" game, I'd much rather it be Privateer who have a genuinely interesting and unique world, as well as a good rulest. W40K, and to a lesser extent WFB, is shit for idiots. It's crap for spotty dorks who are afraid to talk to girls. If you think they're good for anything other than making the hobby much dumber for about a decade, please get the fuck out of my hobby and collect pokemon cards or something. Though if you're a dedicated player of the "Games Workshop Hobby" it looks like the hobby might be getting itself gone for you.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 20, 2005, 08:00:21 AM

As long as I've been associated with video game conversions of  popular tabletop games (about 20 years now), this has been the case, yet I have yet to see anything as good as the old SSI WWII games (Panzer Group, Kampfgruppe, etc) I played on C64/128s.  Lots of folks yearn to satisfy the grognard hidden within by playing a game that takes care of all the fiddly calculations and just let's them channel Rommel, whether it is with Legionnares, Tiger Tanks, Hellcats, Mechs, or Orcs In Space. 

Don't tell me you've never downloaded the demo for Combat Misson?!!? (Or for that matter, even if it is 2D, the free versions of Steel Panthers).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #51 on: May 20, 2005, 09:11:37 AM

I bet if GW created a good, good-looking, free client interface to 40K, had a fully functional online mode with matchmaking and tournaments, and gave out free 'demo' armies with the basic grunt troops from each race, they could definitely charge full price for the other models and many, many people would pay.  The value of being able to fire up a game or a tournament at any time from your bedroom is enormous.  The draw of paying 'just $5 more' for that one model you need to make your army perfect is irresistable.

I would be onboard with this.  Seems like a no-brainer.  Babies can't eat virutal soldiers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #52 on: May 20, 2005, 11:33:16 AM

Angry:  Its a bad idea to discount GW, they have had great ideas/systems in the past.

Necromunda was fucking genius.

Blood Bowl is always good for a laugh.

Inquisitor is one of the best rpg systems ever made.

Oh and I didn't know that WFB was supposed to have good fluff, no shit its just european history.  You can't really say the same about the 40k universe.  Furthermore, I've played the highly praised Confrontation, I started to find it stupid, fast.  I'm sure GW is suffering, they seem to have lost their way (fell into the money hat?) and keep boosting the price and re-releasing new editions before they've even finished the codexs for the last one.  If they hemmorrhage some money thats good, get rid of the jackass' and stop being the table-top gaming version of M$.

-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: May 20, 2005, 12:11:29 PM

Angry:  Its a bad idea to discount GW, they have had great ideas/systems in the past.

They just generally tend to fuck them up or discontinue them for a few years before bringing back the all new special re-release edition which invalidates most of your old models but gives you a new line of spanking new models at twice the price to replace them!

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #54 on: May 20, 2005, 02:44:03 PM

I bet if GW created a good, good-looking, free client interface to 40K, had a fully functional online mode with matchmaking and tournaments, and gave out free 'demo' armies with the basic grunt troops from each race, they could definitely charge full price for the other models and many, many people would pay.  The value of being able to fire up a game or a tournament at any time from your bedroom is enormous.  The draw of paying 'just $5 more' for that one model you need to make your army perfect is irresistable.

I would be onboard with this.  Seems like a no-brainer.  Babies can't eat virutal soldiers.

Quick! Quick! Call marketing and sales! They love new untested revenue models!

And the really sad thing is that this sounds to me as if a small team of permanent modelers could turn this into a more stable revenue generating structure than some of the ideas NCsoft has bandied about...

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #55 on: May 20, 2005, 05:03:17 PM

And the really sad thing is that this sounds to me as if a small team of permanent modelers could turn this into a more stable revenue generating structure than some of the ideas NCsoft has bandied about...

No need to be a heretical communist.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 21, 2005, 02:02:23 AM

Ive mostly given up buying new GW products to play Star Wars Minis, collect D&D minis because Mage Knight ones are too big too ugly, and Wizkids now smokes as much pole as GW does.

I knew being bought out by Topps would kill Wizkids.  It has.  THANKS FOR INVALIDATING ALL MY MECHWARRIOR MINIS!

Its not just Games Workshop though almost every tabletop game out there gets a shitty bastardized action game which does jack shit to bring in new players to the tabletop game.  Yet fans on their own time have nearly rules perfect versions of Battletech and Blood Bowl available on freaking Sourceforge.  And people like them.

But what does Microsoft do with Battletech?  Makes 2 fun but stupid Mech Assault games that throw shitty metal band music during boss fights.  Games Workshop thinks the best way to promote 40K is to allow a mediocre Halo clone and an RTS that nobody would play if it weren't for the graphics and the liscense.  Im sorry but its true.  Its just another RTS with the same damn tech, build, and zerg trees.  Oh yeah.  And Mythic turns Silent Death, one of the best starfighter combat games into some wanna be Star Control without the humor or quality.

A good home version of the original games not only gives the companies unlimited playtesters to fix their shittily designed games, but it makes people hungry to play the real thing.  Cybersex doesn't replace actual nookie, and online play doesn't replace setting up my Eldar or Chaos Marines on a beautiful 3d table full of miniatures and scenery.

Hell, look at the AD&D Gold Box games.  Those things probably did more to save TSR and Dungeons & Dragons than anything until 3.0 and the D20 Open Gaming Liscense!  And they tried to be mighty accurate to the real AD&D rules.  They pretty much taught me the damn things.  Ever try reading the AD&D 1st ed manuals?  If you haven't already played some version of D&D its virtually impossible to figure it out.  Or know what bugfuck idea Gary threw in because someone might use it you should throw to the curb.

So fuck Mythic, fuck Games Workshop, and fuck every other hobby game company who lets some asshole developers who can't come up with their own hook for another generic RTS/FPS title so they namewhore.

And fuck me for not only caring about this, but continually being enough of a dumb shit to keep buying most of them hoping one day they will make accurate goddamned translations of the games I love playing in real life when I can find players and we all have the time and desire to play them.
Strazos

Reply #57 on: May 21, 2005, 12:21:46 PM

Hell, look at the AD&D Gold Box games.  Those things probably did more to save TSR and Dungeons & Dragons than anything until 3.0 and the D20 Open Gaming Liscense! 

You seem to have forgotten about BioWare and BIS.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: May 21, 2005, 02:39:18 PM

Bioware and BIS came 15-20 years after the gold boxes. Hell, they came right around the time the d20 system came out and Wizards started courting TSR. Your timelines are FUBAR, young'in.
Strazos

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2005, 02:49:39 PM

I would argue that BIS and BioWare did tons to revitalize the pertinent properties. CRPG's were practically dead before Baldur's Gate. This game, and the other games it spawned, led to a revival of interest in D&D and other related IP's.

If there was no BioWare and BG, there might not be a 3rd Edition. At the very least, CRPG's would be a lot less popular.

I know how "old skool" Gold Box is; I've (tried) to play them.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: May 21, 2005, 02:59:33 PM

3rd Edition came out after Planescape bombed financially. I'm cool with giving credit where it's due, but BIS and Bioware did more to revitalize D&D Video games than anything involving TSR. Wizards revitalized paper D&D, though many would argue that the depth pretty much died (I'm not a big fan of D20, even Call of Cthulhu feels a little debased and I'd never played the original. I've only participated in the online campaign and read through the CoC book a few times).
Strazos

Reply #61 on: May 21, 2005, 03:02:55 PM

3rd Edition came out after Planescape bombed financially.

Emphasis mine...

That is the biggest travesty within the Video Game Industry in the past 10 years. Worse than Enter the Matrix being profitable, or anything else EA has done.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2005, 03:04:31 PM

Duh, thanks.

I still think Deus Ex only being posthumously famous was painful as well. But that's a discussion for another thread. Point is, don't give BIS and Bioware props for something they didn't really do. The original gold box assumption a few posts up by Jain Zar was correct.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #63 on: May 21, 2005, 03:47:28 PM

As long as I've been associated with video game conversions of  popular tabletop games (about 20 years now), this has been the case, yet I have yet to see anything as good as the old SSI WWII games (Panzer Group, Kampfgruppe, etc) I played on C64/128s.  Lots of folks yearn to satisfy the grognard hidden within by playing a game that takes care of all the fiddly calculations and just let's them channel Rommel, whether it is with Legionnares, Tiger Tanks, Hellcats, Mechs, or Orcs In Space. 

Don't tell me you've never downloaded the demo for Combat Misson?!!? (Or for that matter, even if it is 2D, the free versions of Steel Panthers).

Alright, I won't tell you that, but thanks for the info.  wink  There is always more going on than I know about.  I suppose all these independant/small press assets ought to be gathered on a central page where people could check to find them, although I bet this has been done several times already, and the results are just lost in the bandwidth.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Mythic to make Warhammer online  
Jump to: