Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Mythic to make Warhammer online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mythic to make Warhammer online  (Read 50505 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

on: May 18, 2005, 10:55:17 PM

Press Release here

FAIRFAX, VA – MAY 18, 2005 – Mythic Entertainment, developer and publisher of massively-multiplayer online role-playing games including Dark Age of Camelot and the upcoming Imperator today announced that they have secured the exclusive worldwide, rights to create massively multiplayer online games for PC and console set in the fantasy world of Warhammer created by Nottingham, UK-based Games Workshop Group PLC. The first game based upon the dark, medieval world of Warhammer will be released on PC in 2007.

“I have always been a big fan of Games Workshop and Warhammer and I am thrilled that we are now able to work on one of the world’s greatest and most enduring fantasy gaming brands,” said Mark Jacobs, CEO and President of Mythic Entertainment, Inc. “Our goal for this first of what we hope will be many Warhammer-based games is to create the single-greatest RvR-based MMORPGs in the industry.”

“Warhammer fans around the world can be assured that our new partnership with Mythic, a company with fantastic credentials in delivering great online games, will result in a truly compelling online experience,” said Andy Jones, CEO of Games Workshop’s Entertainment and Media Division. “We are really looking forward to working closely with people who share our passion both for the world of Warhammer and for making games of the highest quality.”

That's all I know, mabye one of the guys on the scene can say more. I wounder if it will be Warhammer Total War Online, or Warhammer the EQ (should I say DAoC clone?). Considering that would seema  conflict with DOaC's market share, I presume this will be answered at E3.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:57:01 PM

I got the press release earlier today.

I haven't stopped laughing since.

I can only assume they'll be using that phat romans in space money to produce it. Oh man, it'll be awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to play it on my Phantom.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 10:58:18 PM

It won't be as bad as SWG. Right?
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:58:53 PM

WRONG.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:59:23 PM

WRONG.

You're going to get Haemish feeling stabby. We don't want that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 11:00:24 PM

WRONG.
You're going to get Haemish feeling stabby. We don't want that.
We don't? This should do it:

Romans. In. Space.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 11:03:26 PM

This has nothing to do with the previous attempt by (Climax?) right?

Anyways, this is bad news.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 11:37:20 PM

That's all I know, mabye one of the guys on the scene can say more. I wounder if it will be Warhammer Total War Online, or Warhammer the EQ (should I say DAoC clone?). Considering that would seema  conflict with DOaC's market share, I presume this will be answered at E3.
From the PR:
“Our goal for this first of what we hope will be many Warhammer-based games is to create the single-greatest RvR-based MMORPGs in the industry.”
So that says to me that it's going to be DAoC 2 with Elves! Lots of Elves! On both sides!
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 11:49:04 PM

If they were not assholes, they would do 40K instead.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 06:07:03 AM

It's already bad enough that they're going to shit on everything great about old WH. I'd prefer that they just completely forget about 40k.

From the PR:

“Our goal for this first of what we hope will be many Warhammer-based games is to create the single-greatest RvR-based MMORPGs in the industry.”

I'm not sure why, but their use of the term "RvR" here really pisses me off.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 06:35:11 AM

I'm confused:  why is this so bad?  Mythic isn't that bad a company, is it?  As compared to SOE, fill-in-the-blanks... 

Edit: I left DAoC before ToA and never tried it or Catacombs.  Grind was too much for me.  Mythic designers are too "conservative".  But always liked the out-of-game PvP tracking and some the communications from the company.  Good company I thought, but tired game.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:39:18 AM by Soln »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 06:52:14 AM

I'm confused:  why is this so bad?  Mythic isn't that bad a company, is it?  As compared to SOE, fill-in-the-blanks... 

Edit: I left DAoC before ToA and never tried it or Catacombs.  Grind was too much for me.  Mythic designers are too "conservative".  But always liked the out-of-game PvP tracking and some the communications from the company.  Good company I thought, but tired game.

SOE deserves more hate for being the moneygrubbing bastards that they are, but on the basis of the games themselves, Mythic is just as bad, if you ask me.

And btw, it's not "PvP tracking", it's "RvR tracking".
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 06:53:05 AM

The problem, as I understand it,  is that "Romans in Spaaaace!"  looks to be, other than the setting, entirely derivative.

If the company has so little imagination that they are going to jam "Romans in Spaaaace!" into the EQ grind-a-thon cookie mold regardless of if it fits or not then there is really very little hope left any kind of reasonable development of future products.

edit:  Be sure to read "Romans in Spaaaace!" as the announcer voice from the muppets "Pigs in Spaaaace!", it helps.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:54:51 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 07:35:33 AM

You hit the head on the nail.  Messing up a franchise is always a possibility, but it should be obvious that if they were actually trying to make something innovative, they would have chosen 40K instead of yet another elf-dwarf-wizard setting.  I don't think either choice would increase or decrease the chances of the game turning out like a DAoC clone, particularly since DAoC is supposedly an incarnation of their RvR text MUD.  Seems like a missed opportunity in the name of safety.  The nongamer is probably more interested in guns and marines than wands and elves.  I know I am, at this point.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 07:56:53 AM

I know I read a quote from Jacobs about how building a new "brand" was preferable to licensing. Just entrepreneurial idealism, I guess. Always goes bye-bye when the money hats get made.

I have never played WoW.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:46:30 AM

You know, Marc Jacobs head is so big you can whisper his name and he'll respond from anywhere on the eastern seaboard. It's why I never read my posts aloud.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 08:53:47 AM

The guy I work with and I, who are both vets of GW games (he still plays) both got our WTF moment from this announcement. I mean... WHAT THE FUCK?

So the buncha millions of pounds they spent on the Climax development goes down the drain. Yay? The Climax stuff looked and sounded good, so I find this announcement really fucking bizarre. Not only do they piss that money away, they go with an American company to develop a game that will probably not be ready for another 2-3 years? They also sound like they intend to do a very derivative RVR/DAoC clone, except using the classes and races from Warhammer. Does that mean there will be more than 3 factions, or will there only be good and evil?

Now, more than ever, I fucking hate GW. Hey, assheads, most of us who actually played your fucking games and paid out the ass for the privilege, would really just like you to translate your tabletop game DIRECTLY TO THE FUCKING COMPUTER WITH ONLINE PLAY. It won't kill your fucking business, you goddamn retarded limey monkeys, see Wizards of the fucking Coast for a goddamn example. The entirety of your electronic attempts, with the notable exception of the original Space Hulk and Dawn of War, have been unmitigated SHITE. Stop being pigfuckers.

schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 08:56:54 AM

Don't blame GW. They don't know better.

Blame Mythic. They aren't going to be able to do it justice. They bid on it. They are the ones who are the ball-lickers.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 09:03:15 AM

They are the ones who are the ball-lickers.

Did I wind up on MoviePoopShoot.com by mistake?  evil

I am willing to wait and see about Warhammer. I played the RPG version of it once or twice, and never had anything else to do with the franchise, so my childhood will remain pristine and virginal no matter how badly they fuck it up. Didn't Lum say he was working on another project that wasn't Imperator a couple of months back? I wonder if this is it?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 09:09:10 AM

Don't blame GW. They don't know better.

Blame Mythic. They aren't going to be able to do it justice. They bid on it. They are the ones who are the ball-lickers.

Yeah, I'm sure GW had a sigh of relief when they knew it'd be a well known company like Mythic. Little do they know though. Climax may have been irresponsible, but Mythic is just going to do the same....In a different way (but it'll probably make money, right?).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 09:27:29 AM

I blame GW for having the asstardically backwards-ass view that making an almost exact electronic translation of their existing games will somehow hurt the sales on those games. Fucking retarded douchebags. They lick an entirely different set of balls.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 09:42:37 AM

They should make it an actual table top simulation. I'm sure they won't though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 09:49:14 AM

...Hey, assheads, most of us who actually played your fucking games and paid out the ass for the privilege, would really just like you to translate your tabletop game DIRECTLY TO THE FUCKING COMPUTER WITH ONLINE PLAY.... Stop being pigfuckers.

three things:
1) GW stuff was always at least 25% more expensive than anything else I'd pay for in a hobby/games shop, not only because of import and markup -- so some definite pain there ($55+ for a module booklet??)
2) why is there no market for RTS Warhammer?  What am I missing?  Too Blizzard derivative?
3) I played Warhammer the pen&paper RPG and it rocked.  Still the most bizarre and odd system of gaming Ive ever seen.  Didnt lend itself to a lot of easy adventuring, but still really bizarre (read: creative).

I like Mythic because at the end of the day they are a small company.  And whatever dumb things they may have done (or will do), they are an order of magnitude less offensive than anything SOE can dream up.  That said, I haven't subscribed to DAoC for over 3 years, and I do find it boring and dated and over-conservative (read: grind).  And I will disappointed if they churn out another timesink/treadmill version with the Warhammer narrative.  And Romans in Space doesn't do anything for me.  Everyone's got their eye on Tabula Rasa for Space going.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 09:53:43 AM

2) why is there no market for RTS Warhammer?  What am I missing?  Too Blizzard derivative?

Haha..."Blizzard derivative". Good one.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 09:55:18 AM

There is a market for RTS Warhammer (see Dawn of War), but RTS is such a stale genre. And I'm quite sure there's a larger market for accurate, multiplayer-capable tabletop translation than for an RTS version.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 10:02:06 AM

2) why is there no market for RTS Warhammer?  What am I missing?  Too Blizzard derivative?

*snicker*

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 10:30:24 AM

I' be a lot more excited about this project if they added a 40K after the name.

I'd sure as heck hate to be a hack and slash generic fantasy EQ clone going against the market right now.

I'm sure Mythic has a ton of innovative stuff planned to get the markets attention. They may be a fairly conservative company, but I don't think they are stupid.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 10:39:18 AM

AFAIK, there isn't really a single good online tactics game available. It would be so easy to just make the tabletop game, arrange leagues around different schedules, different point totals, etc. Basically MTG:Online but with Warhammer.

I don't see the strength in something like a Warhammer RTS or MMORPG. Just another fantasy RTS or MMORPG, yawn.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 10:45:18 AM

AFAIK, there isn't really a single good online tactics game available.

Madden wink

(or 2k5 if you prefer)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 10:57:13 AM

I'll be shocked if it doesn't turn out as DAoC2.

And grind aside, I'm not sure that's a bad thing for a Warhammer MMORPG to turn out as.

There remains nothing actually wrong with DAoC if you want to play a large guild oriented game with solid PvP and PvE. ToA was obviously a mistake, but it appears to have been recognised as such by the team.

If they take this as an opportunity to turf out concentration buffs (and hence buffbots) and have more objective oriented team play in the levelling process (start from Catacombs walk in the direction of CoH, then take another 10 steps beyond that) then I'll happily try it.

Warhammer Total War Online

While some form of Total War Online is well overdue, you wouldn't want it to be warhammer, everyone would just end up pissed off because it wouldn't have 1 percent of the complexity of actual WFB.

As mentioned above, any Warhammer fantasy battle variant should be turn based and simply copy the tabletop rules. Anything else would be a letdown.

I'm not sure why, but their use of the term "RvR" here really pisses me off.

RvR remains the best^H^H^H^H only ever successful implementation of PvP alongside PvE in a level based MMORPG. Guild Wars might be the second but that remains to be seen.

And it fits the Warhammer universe perfectly. Empire/elf/dwarf vs Chaos/dark-elf/skaven vs Orcs/Goblins anyone?

Mythic are pretty much the only people I could even imagine building a genuinely playable pvp + pve license based MMOG, because the odds of them going off on one and doing something like HAM are nonexistant, and the odds of them getting overexcited by the license and becoming a slave to it are equally low.

It will probably suck - because GW computer games *always* suck, but that's a whole other thing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 11:01:37 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 11:33:49 AM

There remains nothing actually wrong with DAoC if you want to play a large guild oriented game with solid PvP and PvE. ToA was obviously a mistake, but it appears to have been recognised as such by the team.

I'm unaware that the Mythic team has recognized ToA as a mistake.  What do you base this assertion on?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 11:34:16 AM

RvR remains the best^H^H^H^H only ever successful implementation of PvP alongside PvE in a level based MMORPG. Guild Wars might be the second but that remains to be seen.

That may be, but I just get irritated with some Daoc players I know (as well as seeing it on the net) who refer to competitive play as "RvR". When I say "PvP", they have no idea what I'm talking about. When they ask about a new game, like WoW or Guild Wars, they ask "Does it have RvR?"
WayAbvPar

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 11:35:00 AM

That may be, but I just get irritated with some Daoc players I know (as well as seeing it on the net) who refer to competitive play as "RvR". When I say "PvP", they have no idea what I'm talking about. When they ask about a new game, like WoW or Guild Wars, they ask "Does it have RvR?"

Do you hit them in the head with a hammer soon after?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 11:35:58 AM

I'm unaware that the Mythic team has recognized ToA as a mistake.  What do you base this assertion on?

The fact that every two weeks they seem to put in a hotfix to make it just slightly easier.

Oh, and Catacombs, which is the polar opposite of ToA.

And actual statements from Mythic people saying things like 'hmm, we shouldn't have made you all choose an ML line but not told you how the ML abilities work'.

I think that's about as close as you can ask them to go without doing a Gerald Ratner.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 11:38:46 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 11:38:49 AM

Do you hit them in the head with a hammer soon after?

Only the ones that aren't my friends. Some unexplainable force prevents me from harming the others.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: Mythic to make Warhammer online  
Jump to: