Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: My Raging Douchebag 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Raging Douchebag  (Read 29045 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

on: May 17, 2005, 02:55:34 AM

So, no link.  No-one will care.  No-one will know.

But.

My Raging Douchebag award goes to my new employee who's been with us a grand total of six weeks and has just sent me an E-mail this morning, after a days abscence yesterday, to tell me that he's fucking off to Australia.

He was here long enough to do legwork, but not long enough to get it all into order and report it.  And now someone has to do that.  On top of other work.

In his E-mail, he asks for his 'advance pay' to be sent to his account, despite the fact he doesn't even work his notice period.  I think he's in for a shock.

Douchebag.

I thank you.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:25:39 AM

Reminds me of the day my parents got two e-mails from separate employees saying that they quit (and in a private business with 5 FT employees, thats HUGE).  E-MAILS - I mean christ people, if you are going to quit or ask for leave of absence have the spine to do it in person.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 05:40:22 AM

Kill them all.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:46:31 AM

Yup.  That's what bothers me the most.  If I was young, free and single, I might grab the same opportunity he did.

But not even having the courage to come in for a face to face 'I'm leaving' ?  And NOW he's 'sending someone to pick up his stuff' Huh!

I mean, you do that shit with your ex-wife.

What.  The.  Fuck.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 05:51:00 AM

I've only ever quit two jobs in my life.  I've been sacked from all the rest.  Mostly, I've tried to stay self-employed and never had the heart to sack myself... though I've been tempted.  The shit I get up to at work is just totally unacceptable.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:44:19 AM

Yup.  That's what bothers me the most.  If I was young, free and single, I might grab the same opportunity he did.

But not even having the courage to come in for a face to face 'I'm leaving' ?  And NOW he's 'sending someone to pick up his stuff' Huh!

I mean, you do that shit with your ex-wife.

What.  The.  Fuck.

Jeez.  Never burn bridges.  Ever.

That guy could've come in, given two weeks notice or whatever is standard for your industry, and turned it into a pleasant conversation about what he was going to do in Australia.  Maybe even offer to send you souvenirs or pictures or what not.  That could've been the easiest two weeks he ever worked, too.  Instead, he chose ... poorly.

You can choose to view leaving any job as an opportunity to make friends instead of enemies.  Why more people don't get that I'll never understand.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 11:26:28 AM

The last job I left (I'd been there four years), I gave them a 30-day notice and even trained my replacement. I know if I ever get burned out and want to go back to schlepping coffee, there's a job waiting for me.

You'd think the asshole could've picked up the phone, even. I'm afraid that email is rendering us cockmunches who can't stand to face the emotional reactions of actual humans.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 12:32:22 PM

The day I find a publisher willing to give me an advance is the day I turn in my resignation to accounting. Then again, I'm not too worried about burning bridges in the business world. The more time I spend in it the more I realize I hate people.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 01:35:02 AM

That's not a very Christian attitude...

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 05:34:06 AM

I don't think he really is Christian. 

I do think he's really a monkey, though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 06:30:13 AM

If you love Jesus, it's OK to hate people.  I think.  Someone who has read the one of the Bibles might correct me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 08:09:35 AM

Don't Slag Off the Ben...

He's a Lukewarm Christian.  Which, I think, means ten more minutes in the microwave.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 11:58:05 AM

My avatar is a Raging Douchebag by virtue of being MIA.

edit: Oops, just realized that this was in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:53:44 AM by Stray »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 12:02:54 PM

Don't Slag Off the Ben...

He's a Lukewarm Christian.  Which, I think, means ten more minutes in the microwave.

It's actually 30 more minutes at 350 reallly. And I am actually a monkey. There are a 100 iterations of myself working at a 100 typewriters to make my novel.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 02:45:08 PM

I tried that once. The only legible thing that came out was "Cheese flavored pants" which when typed by monkeys is darn funny.

Hell, I'm giggling just saying it now.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 06:48:13 AM

Nice.  I had a guy start this past Mon and took Tues off for a "sick day".  Left a voicemail saying didn't want to come in "and cough on people".  Jury still needs to be out...
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 07:59:37 AM

Nice.  I had a guy start this past Mon and took Tues off for a "sick day".  Left a voicemail saying didn't want to come in "and cough on people".  Jury still needs to be out...

Doesn't your company have a period where sick/personal/vacation days aren't allowed? At my firm, no vacation whatsoever for 6 months. If you are sick, you better have ebola.

I have never played WoW.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 07:59:55 AM

edit: delete button mystery...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 08:01:37 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 08:07:41 AM

Doesn't your company have a period where sick/personal/vacation days aren't allowed? At my firm, no vacation whatsoever for 6 months. If you are sick, you better have ebola.

Some places do and some don't.  My company doesn't actually have sick days, in fact.  It's all "manager's discretion".  However, if I was hired on Jan 1, I could conceivably take a vacation day on Jan 2.  It would not be smart but the policy allows it.

I think he meant that he didn't want to come in and have people smell the booze.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 09:44:09 AM

My company doesn't really, either, just paid leave and comp time, and vacation for full-time, salaried employees. But we're small. One bitch I work with, who my boss really wanted to come on board, negotiated a vacation within like, three months of starting (I guess she'd been planning it before she was considering changing jobs).

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 09:56:30 AM

My company doesn't really, either, just paid leave and comp time, and vacation for full-time, salaried employees. But we're small. One bitch I work with, who my boss really wanted to come on board, negotiated a vacation within like, three months of starting (I guess she'd been planning it before she was considering changing jobs).

You have to account for such things when hiring.  I had a trip to Vegas planned in April and was hired in January, but my new boss knew that up front.  I'd assume this was known beforehand in your example.

Size doesn't seem to matter.  Not too many companies are larger than mine, and our benefits are ridiculous.  For example, a standard workweek is 37.5 hours, and in the summer we only work until noon on Fridays.  Ridiculous, but I'm not complaining.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 09:58:14 AM

We get two bonuses a year, for no reason. And we get treated to two parties a year also. It's pretty nice But I am jealous about your half-days on Friday thing.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 10:06:29 AM

We get two bonuses a year, for no reason.

Hah, reserve your jealousy. =)  On the other hand, the company made up a fake holiday to fill that springtime gap.  Maybe all this time off is cutting into our bonuses.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 10:27:00 AM

My husband's company leaves early on Fridays, too.  That seems to be getting more and more common.  My sister works for a university.  They don't pay much but you can't beat them for benefits, holidays and interesting conversations.  My last long term job was in artist management.  I could have as much time off as I wanted as long as nothing was going on. (never)

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 11:56:01 AM

I work for a large company and I do get some ok bennies, but nothing stellar. The best benefit I get is when I get deployed (militarily): 4-weeks of normal pay, then, for the rest of the time, they make up the difference in my salary and what I got paid while deployed. Nothing like being double paid when you are on a 2-week or 4-week deployment.

(Going to Vegas for 2 weeks in late August, so all the money I make via the military can go towards blackjack and not dip into any of my normal pay - yah!)

However, stuff like health care, dentist, and vision plans suck - copays and monthly payments go up every year, coverages go down. And we don't get friday afternoons off. Oh, we do get discounts at a couple of places (restraunts, amusement parks, etc) in Atlanta, GA .. too bad I don't live anywhere near there.

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 12:22:01 PM

(Going to Vegas for 2 weeks in late August, so all the money I make via the military can go towards blackjack and not dip into any of my normal pay - yah!)

Learn to play poker instead. You could pay for your whole trip pretty easily.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 12:31:11 PM

It's easier to do such a think with Blackjack. MUCH easier. Learn to guesstimate through some minor counting.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 12:31:43 PM

I've had pretty good luck with Texas Hold 'Em.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 12:50:30 PM

Oh, we do get discounts at a couple of places (restraunts, amusement parks, etc) in Atlanta, GA .. too bad I don't live anywhere near there.

A discounted Atlanta attraction is still an Atlanta attraction.  Go Falcons!

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 02:10:10 PM

I play Texas Hold 'Em too, but Blackjack has my black evil greedy heart in a vise. I'm sure I'll play both plenty.

Besides, gov'ment is paying for the trip - who cares if I lose a couple grand?  cry

I would like to learn how to play Roulette, but I'm too scared.

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 02:31:15 PM

Did you forget your green sarcasm font? A brain-damaged chimp could play Roulette.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 02:36:51 PM

Craps is my personal favorite, followed closely by Blackjack and Hold 'em.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 02:41:29 PM

Step 1: Bet
Step 2: Repeat step 1.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 02:42:10 PM

Step 1: Bet
Step 2: Lose
Step 3: Repeat step 1.

All better.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 03:31:54 PM

Heh, I wasn't kidding.. the betting board has too many things on it. But I haven't really watched anyone play before so I'm sure I could pick it up.

And doesn't craps have even more stuff to bet on?

I think it's just a familiarity issue.

- Viin
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: My Raging Douchebag  
Jump to: