Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Bat Country: Official Server - VICTORY 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bat Country: Official Server - VICTORY  (Read 12984 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 21, 2004, 08:43:19 PM

It looks as though we're gonna play on the Victory Server. For this reason:

Quote from: CoH News
Now, onto Name Reservation.

Here’s the good news about name reservation – both beta testing accounts AND pre-order accounts have the ability to reserve character names ahead of time! (If you have both types of accounts, remember that you’ll want to apply the name reservation to your Pre-order so you have the name reservation, Prestige Power and 3 Day Head Start all on the same account. If you only have a beta account or a pre-order account, you’ll want to use your respective one for the name reservation).

Name reservation will now be accomplished by logging into each of the following servers individually and creating a "throw away" character with the name reservation you want. Your name can be the same on each server if you’d like (and if you can get it before someone else), or it can be different. Here are the servers that will be available for name reservation:

Prime (character names reserved on this server will be saved and accessible on the Freedom server once the 3 Day Head Start begins)

Justice

Pinnacle

Victory (formerly Name Reservation). If you already reserved a name on the Name Reservation server, you don’t need to do so again.

On each server, create a throw-away hero IN ANY CHARACTER SLOT. Doing this on EACH server will reserve your chosen name on that server ONLY .Here’s a step-by-step walkthrough of what you’ll need to do:

Wherever we registered our names (which was 'name reservation,' that's where we'll get the name). In other words, is everyone ok with Victory? One of 2 things will happen:

1. Everyone will say fuck it and play on Victory since they made us make a name there.
2. Everyone will stay on Prime since they already have the names they want there.

Let's assume #2 happens and people scrap their Victory names.

CATASS2VICTORY.

The server goes up at 12 noon CPT (1PM EST) on Sunday. Hope to see everyone there.

EDIT: Words are Hard.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 09:17:31 PM

When planning an MMORPG launch, how do you keep the Beta players who already know hte ropes from annoying the retail only players?

Answer: Shuffle as many of them off to one server as possible.  
Rather prescient of them.

I'm alright with playing with the Beta crowd on Victory, because I suspect the relatively fast outdoor spawns and the instanced dungeons will make finding group members a bigger problem than finding an open place to hunt.  The people going to Victory, mostly being other Beta testers, probably more closely match our play styles and times than retail players.  Though others may not like playing with these l33t d3\/\/ds more than absolutely neccesary.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:14:44 PM

Meh.  Didn't get several of my choices for name on the nameserver deal, but I did reserve the name of my controller.

Not the best thing I ever thought up for an avatar, but whatever.

If victory is the place then that's cool.

I have a name I'd like to keep on Prime and Victory.

So yeah, I guess either way is cool with me.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 10:25:23 PM

I didn't get any of the names I wanted either. I had to bust my ass to come up with another one. But ya know, shit happens. And the way this name reservation thing was handled is the worst I've seen from Cryptic. I hope it stays that way.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:12:49 PM

Well I just said fuck it and made characters on Pinnacle and Justice as well just in case so anything is fine with me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 05:25:07 AM

You chose Celery Man, didn't you, schild?  Anyway,  I KNOW my name is Signe on Prime... forget which other names are on other servers and can't be arsed to look.  I have 2 pre-order accounts (eb pre order and bought one for a tenner at bestbuy) so I'll have some sort of name when we go live.  I like surprises.  Fiddling with all these beta/pre order accounts has gone a long way in confusing me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 06:07:52 AM

Victory is fine by me. I wont be able to get on untill around 7or 8 on Sunday but then im good for the rest of the catass time.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 06:41:00 AM

I'll be there too, should be on for the first day. Won't be on after the initial 3 days though, until my copy gets shipped over here.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 06:52:46 AM

Victory is cool. I'll be Darniaq. I'll be in Sunday 8pm Eastern and Monday.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 06:59:47 AM

Reserved Aslan on the Victory server.  Me catass long time.  My goal is to be flying around the n00blers heads in Atlas on their first day.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 07:10:55 AM

I can equally reason why both of these servers will be too busy.  For that reason I am fine with either.

I don't like this name system.  Now you can create 8 characters on each server to reserve.  That is a FUCKLOAD of character names that noone else can take until May.  The people buying in release will have a darn hard time finding a name.  I can understand if it was pre-order.  They are commiting at least somewhat to the game, but it should not include those who were just plain old lucky by getting into beta.

[edit:  basically I agree with Schild.  Lets hope this is their biggest fuckup for awhile, because as fuckups go it is rather small potatoes.  The REAL fuckup will be launchday billing.  That is NCSoft fuckup though by launching same day as L2.  PlayNC will be crushed.]
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 07:16:03 AM

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!

While its okay to create your reserved character names in ANY SLOT on each individual server, at the time of beta completion (11:00pm CDT on Thursday, April 22nd), your reserved character must be the ONLY CHARACTER in a slot. At the end of beta, if you have more than one character existing on a server, you will get NO CHARACTER RESERVATION on that server! So don’t forget to delete all your non-name-reservation characters by 11:00pm CDT time on the 22nd!!!

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Leaddore

Email
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 08:04:40 AM

I am cool with victory, I have my name reserved on that server, and I will be there for the whole opening weekend, I just quit my job and am taking the week off until I start the next one

muhahahahahaha
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 09:13:04 AM

Isn't quitting your job a bit extreme?  Couldn't you just have called in a sickie?  Not that I don't admire your committment to gaming... I'm all for EVERYONE quitting that devious government trap called employment.  I urge you to quit the next one before you start so that you can play even longer.

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 09:25:30 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
I don't like this name system.  Now you can create 8 characters on each server to reserve.  That is a FUCKLOAD of character names that noone else can take until May.

Actually, you can still only reserve one name on each server.  I believe the rules state that if there is more than one character on your account on a server at the end of beta, you get NO name reserved.  Make sure to delete all your other characters!
Leaddore

Email
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 09:58:10 AM

Quote from: Signe
Isn't quitting your job a bit extreme?  Couldn't you just have called in a sickie?  Not that I don't admire your committment to gaming... I'm all for EVERYONE quitting that devious government trap called employment.  I urge you to quit the next one before you start so that you can play even longer.

I should have clarified a little, I didnt quit my job for the game, I quit it because I have a better one that has hired me, but as luck would have it, my new job doesnt start until May 3rd, and I am taking from today until may 3rd off for a little vacation

it was just luck that CoH happens to go live then

;)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 12:14:58 PM

Quote from: Valmorian
Quote from: Alluvian
I don't like this name system.  Now you can create 8 characters on each server to reserve.  That is a FUCKLOAD of character names that noone else can take until May.

Actually, you can still only reserve one name on each server.  I believe the rules state that if there is more than one character on your account on a server at the end of beta, you get NO name reserved.  Make sure to delete all your other characters!

Ah.

Victory will no doubt be the most populous server then.  People have many characters on Prime.  They are not going to delete them all.  Most people who want to reserve a name are NOT reserving the name of their current highest level.  Most have changed their mind IMO.  So they now have the choice of playing the Rikti invasion with a newb and deleting their main (human nature will rebel against this) or playing with their main and having fun through the invasion and reserving the name they want on what will soon be victory.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2004, 12:34:50 PM

Or theyll just delete the alts after the rikti invasion - the servers are still up for the two hours following.

Speaking of Rikti, I just wandered through Talos Island and Founders Falls - those guys are cool as fuck. I'm pumped.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004, 12:51:34 PM

I've just been checking out the CoH boards and Alluvian is right... Victory is going to be extremely popular.  Maybe annoyingly so.  It seems that people are so confused and dizzy over the quick changes to the name reservation process, that most of them are just going to play on Victory.  I've reserved 2 different names on all servers on both my pre-order accounts and will decide which acct to use when necessary.  I've deleted all other characters, just in case.

Now, I don't mind which server we choose, but be prepared for quite a crowd on Victory.  Like nearly everyone.  Maybe.

schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 12:52:32 PM

At least it will be a crowd of preorder/beta people and not live n00blers.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 12:53:54 PM

Heh, yeah but there were some morons, even in the beta crowd.

I mean shit, they let me in didn't they?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 12:54:31 PM

Quote from: CmdrSlack
Heh, yeah but there were some morons, even in the beta crowd.

I mean shit, they let me in didn't they?

That doesn't make you a moron, that makes Cryptic stupid.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 01:15:29 PM

ah, touche.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 01:55:01 PM

Quote from: schild
That doesn't make you a moron, that makes Cryptic stupid.

Wow. Sure glad we got that square away. Counselor. :)

Meanwhile, the question remains: do we stay with Victory? I play these games because of the other people, but too many of them in too tight an area just makes it unplayable for everyone. Regardless of the polish.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 22, 2004, 01:55:15 PM

At least it will be a crowd of preorder/beta people and not live n00blers.

Yeah, the people who will also level fast and will also have a three day headstart on the others so that getting out of the newbie zones quickly is pretty moot (invalidating C2J which I kind of thought was foolish past level 10 anyway).
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004, 02:03:56 PM

All the initial servers will probably be equally good or bad so it really shouldn't matter much. Also as far as names go with the ability to use multi part names it really is not that hard to get a name how you want it. I have never had much problem grabbing the names I wanted.

Kaid
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004, 02:06:55 PM

Quote from: Darniaq
Regardless of the polish.

What do you have against the Polish?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: April 22, 2004, 03:50:53 PM

As the day draws on, more and more people are complaining about names and pre-orders and all this sort of crap.  It's turning into quite a scandal on the CoH boards.  The latest bitch is whether or not it makes a difference if your account in PlayNC says 'preorder' or 'beta'.  It seems that people who pre-ordered from Gamestop were emailed the CD keys and prestige powers, but in their PlayNC account it reads, 'BETA', instead of 'PRE-ORDER', and they won't be able to take part in the 3-day catass.  Reading this:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beta Testers Who Also Have Pre-Order Accounts We know you’re out there! Maybe you’ve been busy…or maybe you’ve been having too much fun playing on your beta account…but the time has come. All beta testers who also purchased pre-order boxes need to register and start utilizing their pre-order accounts RIGHT AWAY (if this hasn’t already been done).

*** The pre-order account is the only one that grants you a cool Prestige Power and lets you participate in the 3 Day Head Start on 4/25 (when you get to create your characters and play the game 3 days before all the retail players get in). ***

This is also the account you’ll want to claim your name reservation with AND turn into your final paying account once the game releases. So what are you waiting for? It’s time to shove that beta account to the side and start focusing on what’s really important – your Pre-order account. Register at http://www.plaync.com TODAY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it appears they may be right.  Neither NC or Gamespot seems to be any help so far.  I was particularly amused by the bloke who was distressed at every name he tried being gone that he went off to name himself CrapMan.  I bet it's already been reserved.

On a more pleasant note... everyone and their grandmother will be playing on Victory.  See you all there, if I can find you in the unwashed mass of insanity that will surely mark the start of Catass Sunday.

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 22, 2004, 04:15:17 PM

Quote from: Signe
It seems that people who pre-ordered from Gamestop were emailed the CD keys and prestige powers, but in their PlayNC account it reads, 'BETA', instead of 'PRE-ORDER', and they won't be able to take part in the 3-day catass.

I'm one of those with a pre-order from Gamestop, so I contacted NCsoft support a day or so ago, and got this response back from them:

Although the pre-order codes emailed from Gamestop are reflecting beta status, accounts created with these codes will be eligible for pre-order benefits, including the three day head start.

So, fingers crossed, all should be ok. Of course, after the 3 day headstart I get shut out of the game until my retail code turns up...

/shrug

At least I get my sparklies.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #29 on: April 23, 2004, 09:56:16 PM

Teamspeak server is up for Bat Country @ 66.199.147.224:8795

Password for anonymous access is: catass2victory

Right now it'll hold 24 people but if we fill it up I'll bump it up to 36 or 48 or whatever depending on how many people decide to use TS.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 24, 2004, 08:53:09 AM

Some fuckwad must have taken my name on Victory so if we go there, I'll just be under a different name.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31 on: April 24, 2004, 10:45:59 PM

Looks like I should be there sometime Sunday afternoon. :) Probably named Whipcrack.

schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: April 24, 2004, 11:34:52 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Looks like I should be there sometime Sunday afternoon. :) Probably named Whipcrack.

Whoa. You must really like this game, you put an emoticon in your post. Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse? Haemish uses an emoticon?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 25, 2004, 06:56:29 AM

Quote from: schild
Quote from: HaemishM

Whoa. You must really like this game, you put an emoticon in your post. Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse? Haemish uses an emoticon?

That and Haemish plays an MMOG on release. Batten down the hatches, the End is near!

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 25, 2004, 07:38:55 AM

Crap, I live near the ocean.   I better get the 'ol Louisville slugger and shotgun ready for when "The seas give up their dead."

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Bat Country: Official Server - VICTORY  
Jump to: