Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Pickup PvP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pickup PvP?  (Read 6255 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

on: May 10, 2005, 05:14:24 PM

So how's it working? Seemed to me the more you increase the differentiation of roles and tactical synergies the more dependent you are on finding good people with the right builds. Or do you find the people and then spend some amount of time debating strategy and skill selection before the matches?

Obviously in pre-organized groups this isn't an issue, but depending on such things would seem to limit the mass appeal of the game.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 08:39:51 PM

Obviously in pre-organized groups this isn't an issue, but depending on such things would seem to limit the mass appeal of the game.

And this line of thinking is why all "major" mmorpg's are steaming piles of shit.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 09:46:53 PM

It's not really that bad. There are more skills then just obtaining the leet skills and creating the uber combos. It takes skill to win in an enviroment with so many unknowns.  It takes skills to get a team of strangers to work together in 15 seconds.   Sure 75% are brain dead idiots, but hey if they suck you'll be on to next one in 30 seconds.

"Me am play gods"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 10:07:36 PM

It's not really that bad. There are more skills then just obtaining the leet skills and creating the uber combos. It takes skill to win in an enviroment with so many unknowns.  It takes skills to get a team of strangers to work together in 15 seconds.   Sure 75% are brain dead idiots, but hey if they suck you'll be on to next one in 30 seconds.

There's a world of difference between a group that doesn't say anything for the 30s before the match starts and a group that says "attack what I attack, healer stay back and heal" and then use ctrl-space to target.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:35:57 PM

Forgive me for the newb questiom, but when you guys are speaking about PvP, are you referring to the PvP servers?

All I know is that I've been playing it on and off all day, testing builds out -- and I'm getting creamed, due to the whole quick pace/disorganized randomness of the whole thing. It isn't my fault either (of course, I would say that right?). To top it off, the whole instancing thing makes it feel so damn meaningless. That may work in Unreal, but it turns me off here.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:44:21 PM

Forgive me for the newb questiom, but when you guys are speaking about PvP, are you referring to the PvP servers?

All I know is that I've been playing it on and off all day, testing builds out -- and I'm getting creamed, due to the whole quick pace/disorganized randomness of the whole thing. It isn't my fault either (of course, I would say that right?). To top it off, the whole instancing thing makes it feel so damn meaningless. That may work in Unreal, but it turns me off here.

You might want to try some of the 8v8 pick me ups.  Seems that with more players comes more chance to win (in my experiences).

As for the instancing thing, I like it.  It is like unreal.  Or a round of Counterstrike.  It's 'meaningless'.  But isn't all gaming meaningless?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 11:13:30 PM

You might want to try some of the 8v8 pick me ups.  Seems that with more players comes more chance to win (in my experiences).

As for the instancing thing, I like it.  It is like unreal.  Or a round of Counterstrike.  It's 'meaningless'.  But isn't all gaming meaningless?

I think of games like CS and Unreal to be more like sports. Like some random pickmeup game of 21. It works well that way. RPG's on the other hand -- Well, I need context. I need a world, rivalries, and reasons to be fighting someone. Applying the "sport" thing to an RPG just isn't working for me. It's making me hate the idea of instancing in new ways.

Before, I was kind of neutral on the subject, but here, instancing is just extreme. From PvP to PvE. I'm convinced now that it's definitely not the thing for me. As far as the PvP aspects of it go, maybe if the combat system was more complex, I'd be more open minded. Then I could play the "sport" for "sport's sake".  But dealing with the drab RPG combat that it is, I need other things to enhance it -- world and context.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:50:15 AM

I think of games like CS and Unreal to be more like sports. Like some random pickmeup game of 21. It works well that way. RPG's on the other hand -- Well, I need context. I need a world, rivalries, and reasons to be fighting someone. Applying the "sport" thing to an RPG just isn't working for me. It's making me hate the idea of instancing in new ways.

Before, I was kind of neutral on the subject, but here, instancing is just extreme. From PvP to PvE. I'm convinced now that it's definitely not the thing for me. As far as the PvP aspects of it go, maybe if the combat system was more complex, I'd be more open minded. Then I could play the "sport" for "sport's sake".  But dealing with the drab RPG combat that it is, I need other things to enhance it -- world and context.

In order to avoid the whole 'instancing' debate, I say: "To each his own."

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 01:04:29 AM

In order to avoid the whole 'instancing' debate, I say: "To each his own."

Ah yes...In a way, that would be a "sport" in and of itself. C'mon man, whatcha got?! :-D
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 05:22:17 AM

Ping!

Pong!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:25:08 AM

The Retard Olympics will shortly commence, with or without your participation. Just wait.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 05:52:15 AM

I agree with both of you.  I like the instancing.  I think the PvE is boring though.

I like this fence I'm sitting on.  It has a wide perch without pointy things to hurt me.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 06:33:17 AM

As far as the PvP aspects of it go, maybe if the combat system was more complex, I'd be more open minded. Then I could play the "sport" for "sport's sake".  But dealing with the drab RPG combat that it is, I need other things to enhance it -- world and context.
The most complex PvP system ever is not complex enough. As you unlock skills and items the complexity goes up rapidly.  Maybe the PvP premades are not very complex, and now that people are starting to use elite skills in the arena, slightly gimp.

Yeah the RPG stuff is pretty weak.  Some of the missions are solid and there is some neat zones out there.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 09:53:13 AM

The PVE has an overarching story to it, if you do the missions.

The PVP? It's a sport. There's not much more to it. It is incredibly complex, but mostly in the skill selections, and the fact that combinations of classes in a group can play either very well off of each other, or not at all. But it will probably always be "meaningless." That's why I like it, and that's why the no subscription fee makes it work for me. It's the kind of thing you CAN catass at, but even if you don't, you can still go in and have a decent chance at PVP.

And yes, using CTRL-Space and T to have everyone assist makes an assload of difference. Random PVP'ers CAN do that, but as was said, 75% of people are still too stupid to understand what that means.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 11:42:33 AM

Apparently, when I target their healing monk and yell my target out about 5 times, people don't know what I am doing.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 12:00:33 PM

Well, didn't say its works all time. Plus, it helpes  if you discuss it before the battle, so they know that you are going to call targets.
Sure some people won't get it, but other times your group will "click" and you'll be the slaughterers instead of the slaughtered.

"Me am play gods"
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 02:02:07 PM

I get all the above, with the added bonus of an additional dozen or so languages been spoken on the EU server :-/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Pickup PvP?  
Jump to: