Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild PvP tonight? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild PvP tonight?  (Read 10181 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: May 06, 2005, 02:13:22 PM

Let's make PvP chars and do some guild battles?

"Me am play gods"
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:15:32 PM

I would like to check it out, but I have about dick for unlocked skills so far. Next weekend I should be far more ready.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 02:22:57 PM

Ideally, I'd like to unlock a few more hexes and water skills before switching over to what looks to be my final template. Tonight might not be that great. Probably won't be a good time til sunday. But if people are around, I'll still do some PvP  :-D
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:23:31 PM

If we don't want this to affect our rating, we can go to one of the non-random arenas instead.  I would like to try the capture the flag one.

"Me am play gods"
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:57:34 PM

I don't believe any type of areana fighting affects our rating; only GvG battles.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 04:35:54 PM

I don't believe any type of areana fighting affects our rating; only GvG battles.

Correct, I think ideally we should continue our adventure in the Tomb.  Try and get ourselves to the hall of heros.  As I understand it, once you complete/win one section of the Tomb, yer guild always starts in the next one.

As for tonight, I'd love to, but like schild said, if there are people on that want to, I'm game for it.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 08:30:07 PM

Invite Krakrok Goathurter to whatever guild you have setup.
Strazos

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 01:34:50 AM

Well, it appears we did fairly well for ourselves in PvP tonight. We actually made it to (what I believe was) the final battle for the Hall of Heroes.

Too bad we didn't record the pwnage.

We may have won, if our ghostly hero didn't get bugged and placed under the map architecture.

Oh well, go us.  tongue

EDIT: OMG post 1000. TEH WINNAR IS ME, KEKE ^_^

Eh..it was going to happen eventually, right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 02:08:45 AM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 01:39:27 AM

Well, it appears we did fairly well for ourselves in PvP tonight. We actually made it to (what I believe was) the final battle for the Hall of Heroes.

Too bad we didn't record the pwnage.

We may have won, if our ghostly hero didn't get bugged and placed under the map architecture.

Oh well, go us.  tongue

K Y 4TW
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 01:52:38 AM

I don't think it was the final battle, but rather the battle before the final battle.  And we owned tonight.

Winning that 6 way map is always an impressive feat, even if it takes 20 minutes.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 09:49:03 AM

Great Guys! I hope we can get started earlier than midnight so i don't start falling aspleep.

I get the fealling that some people are hesitant to start PvP before they have maxed out a char.  But I think last night shows that execept of an uberguild like War Machine, we can hold our own.

Not only is PvP interest; it is very accessable.

I need to get a microphone...

"Me am play gods"
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 02:26:18 PM

I'll be up for some PvP tonight. Just sayin.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 04:26:54 PM

I won't be playing for a while. I'm looking for a new place, and when I get it internet probably will take a while to set up anyways.

At least I made it lion's arch today.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 10:36:54 PM

How far behind you guys and gals would I be if I bought it tonight or tomorrow?

*Tell me "very, very far behind" so I can spare myself the frustration of another online gaming experience*

/goes into the shakes
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 10:50:10 PM

Not behind. You click PvP character and you're done. YMMV.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 11:02:07 PM

Not behind. You click PvP character and you're done. YMMV.
Your mileage will vary a lot depending on how much of the PvE portion of the game you've played. Your PvP-only characters only have access to the skills your "RP" characters have unlocked.

Edit: Sorry, I should've mentioned that the above applies to custom PvP characters. There are "prebuilt" templates that do come with a minimum number of skills.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 11:11:52 PM by Trippy »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 11:43:29 PM

Well....I went out and got it at Wal-Mart.

Just got home, and the fucking CD case was stolen. So...Umm...It's an omen. Fuck this shit.

Time to head back and raise hell, I guess.   
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 11:50:57 PM

Wow. Good luck getting a new one. Wal-Mart should easily buckle though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 12:33:34 AM

Wow. Good luck getting a new one. Wal-Mart should easily buckle though.

Yeah, that was relatively painless. No hellraising involved.

Bought some carne asada tacos on the way home. Should help with the shakes.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 11:58:33 AM

Edit: Sorry, I should've mentioned that the above applies to custom PvP characters. There are "prebuilt" templates that do come with a minimum number of skills.

Right. The prebuilt templates can be customized as well so while they aren't optimal they are pretty good. You can also level up a couple low levels to maybe level three in the classes that you want to unlock the low level skills like healing etc. Once you have that you can combine the low level skills with the uber template skills and you're good. So far the Divine Healer and the Warrior/Elemental? (the one with water trident) are both good builds.
Strazos

Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 01:15:25 PM

Yes, the Divine Healer template is pretty solid.

Unfortunately, a few of the builds need a bit of work, including the "Abominable Snowman" template. I love when they include skills you cannot use unless you've picked up specific items in the PvE (in this case, an ice-damage enhancement for weapons). I tinkered a bit with this build, and it's what I am currently using as a PvP character, until I unlock Illusionary Weaponry.

And yes, I'm sure you are all sick of me pining for the skill in TeamSpeak.  :-D

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 02:35:23 PM

And yes, I'm sure you are all sick of me pining for the skill in TeamSpeak.  :-D

What skill? You've been pining over a skill? Jesus. Where have I been?
Strazos

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 02:50:59 PM

Becoming a part of the corporate machine, apparently.  tongue

Fear the Backstab!
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 03:34:59 PM

The shock sniper is gimped like that too. One skill requires a lightning weapon to do more dmg.
Strazos

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 07:15:47 PM

One thing that puzzled me is that the Shock Sniper has DD spells, which seem kind of redundent for a Ranger.

Fear the Backstab!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005, 09:56:45 AM

We showed this weekend that melee, in the right combinations, CAN be effective. But only if you use focused fire. One melee in a group is not going to be good as an offensive force. You need at least 2 warriors working in concert to really be effective. However, one good warrior monk (or me, in a pinch) can be extremely effective at taking down priests who have left alone in other team's bases. I managed to get two of them before being killed in that battle right before the Hall.

As for being far behind us, you won't be. I level VERY SLOWLY, and I'm already level 11, just trying to explore and do as many quests as I can. And I haven't grouped with actual people at all, other than one time right after the Searing that I was forced into a group with random n00bler. Henchmen 4tw.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 11:14:41 AM

I've only played a couple of sessions, with my first character, and am level 8 or something. I'll say this though - at lower levels warriors are FUCKING GODS. Due to a clicking mistake, I'm a W/Me, which turns out to be handy. Backfire just rocks my world (it's the "go kill yourself" answer to casters). The searing transition pickup looked like it was going to be a nightmare. I was the other team's nightmare.

I need to unlock skills. Axes are great damage, and I have more axe moves which makes it effective, but it is looking like hammer and swords both have better interrupts. I just dont have enough damage outside my axe skills to make a non-healing warrior credible with newbie henchmen.

However, the PvP is great. The PvE and character development, not so much. It's more like building up a decent MtG deck. I will join you guys in GvG when I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 01:15:16 PM

We showed this weekend that melee, in the right combinations, CAN be effective. But only if you use focused fire. One melee in a group is not going to be good as an offensive force. You need at least 2 warriors working in concert to really be effective. However, one good warrior monk (or me, in a pinch) can be extremely effective at taking down priests who have left alone in other team's bases. I managed to get two of them before being killed in that battle right before the Hall

You absolutely need some way to slow their movement as well.  I finally got Ax Rake yesterday which causes cripple, so that should help us in future matches.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Strazos

Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 07:05:06 PM

The PvP build I am using, a heavily-modified W/E template, uses Ice Trident as the solution to runners (Running = Fall on their Ass if hit).

Another solution would be a few of the Warrior skills that involve knockdown if the target is moving. The elite skill Bull Rush comes to mind.

Fear the Backstab!
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 04:59:51 AM

The problem with relying on knockdowns is that it means you have to pretty much use a hammer, which is twenty-five percent slower, doesn't let you use a sheild, and its other abilities don't have the same damage capability as an axe or a sword.  Plus knockdowns only last a second or so, after which your target is up and running again, where as cripple can last 20-30 seconds.  IMHO its better to use Hammer wars as anti-casters and interrupters and leave the runners to others.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 08:51:54 AM

Warrior/monks can also use Bane Signet as a good first rush knockdown, as it knocks down its target if the target is attacking. That extra second or two can allow a sword user to get a good bleed on it, and work from there.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 10:16:31 AM

I got the priest 6 second (or was it 8) target cannot attack spell last night. I'm looking forward to trying that one.

Strazos

Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 10:44:29 AM

The problem with relying on knockdowns is that it means you have to pretty much use a hammer, which is twenty-five percent slower, doesn't let you use a sheild, and its other abilities don't have the same damage capability as an axe or a sword.  Plus knockdowns only last a second or so, after which your target is up and running again, where as cripple can last 20-30 seconds.  IMHO its better to use Hammer wars as anti-casters and interrupters and leave the runners to others.

At least if you make a PvP template character, you can equip gloves that prolong knockdown.

Btw, I've done 90+ dmg with hammer swings, so I wouldn't underestimate the damage capabilities of the hammer.

Fear the Backstab!
Xilren's Twin

Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 01:45:24 PM

I really dont want to go hammers, so i picked up hamstring for swords, plus sprint to catch up to the running bastards... 

The thing Im having the toughest time with atm with skill loadout for pvp is the monk skills, specifically enchantments vs single shot effects.  It is better to use the party damage shield, single tagret health regen boost, single target melee buff, and suffer slow regen with an already small mana pool? Or say screw it and just go full out offensive with more warrior skills and 1 or 2 heal spells (party heal, single heal, or purge hexes and conditions).  I know I know, it will probably be heavily dependant on who's in the pvp group, but still..

The loadout I use mostly in pve just wouldn't work well in pvp, like the pb DoTspell; I use that all the time when in a group of 2-5 mobs; and since mobs never run, Im not using hamstring and such...

BTW, got a purple bow that gives +1 energy on hit if anyone's interested...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: May 10, 2005, 05:26:47 PM

BTW, got a purple bow that gives +1 energy on hit if anyone's interested..

What are the dmg/reqs? I just overpaid for a new bow that is like 9-14 + poison or something pathetic.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild PvP tonight?  
Jump to: