Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:38:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Organizing a Group 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organizing a Group  (Read 29206 times)
trias_e
Terracotta Army

on: May 01, 2005, 02:34:54 AM

A few things to consider...

First off, skill list: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/skill.php

Second off, chracter builder:  http://www.gwonline.net/files/files.php?&id=19
Another one:  http://gwfreaks.com/  (I like this one better, but it seems to be more buggy)

We need a character or two completely dedicated to shutting down healers.  Mesmers do this very well, but rangers and warriors can also.  An example build:

Mesmer/Monk
Level: 20

FastCasting: 8
Domination: 12
Inspiration: 10

- Shame (Domination)
For the next 9 seconds, the next time target enemy casts a spell on an ally, the spell fails and you steal 13 energy.
Energy:10  Cast Time:1.48  Recharge:30

- Backfire (Domination)
For the next 10 seconds, whenever target enemy casts a spell, that enemy takes 126 damage.
Energy:15  Cast Time:2.22  Recharge:20

- Power Block [Elite] (Domination)
If target enemy is casting a spell, that spell is interrupted. The interrupted spell and all spells of the same attribute are disabled for 14 seconds for that enemy.
Energy:15  Cast Time:0.18  Recharge:30

- Power Spike (Domination)
If target enemy is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and the enemy takes 92 damage.
Energy:10  Cast Time:0.18  Recharge:15

- Diversion (Domination)
The next time target enemy uses a skill, that skill will take an additional 50 seconds to recharge.
Energy:10  Cast Time:1.48  Recharge:5

- Drain Enchantment (Inspiration)
Description: Remove an Enchantment from target enemy. If an Enchantment is removed, you gain 19 energy.
Energy:10  Cast Time:0.74  Recharge:25

- Power Drain (Inspiration)
If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and you gain 23 energy.
Energy:5  Cast Time:0.18  Recharge:25

- Energy Tap (Inspiration)
Steal 13 energy from target foe.
Energy:5  Cast Time:2.22  Recharge:20

This build can actually take out 2 healers, backfiring one and then focusing on interupting.diversion another.  You can pretty much imagine how brutal that would be against any caster.

I'd say 1 character dedicated to this like the above, 1 tank debuff/tank killer character, 1 protection monk to get rid of status effets, 1 pure healing monk, and then a bunch of damage warriors and elementalists would do very well.  All the damage classes would need to assist each other and attack the same target, but the rest would do their own thing.  Sample tank chain killer (blindness makes 90% of your attacks miss, weakness makes you do half damage):

Elementalist/Necromancer

EnergyStorage: 8
AirMagic: 12
Curses: 10

- Glimmering Mark [Elite] (Air Magic)
For the next 15 seconds, whenever target foe suffers lightning damage, that foe and all adjacent foes suffer from Blindness for 3 seconds.
Energy:10  Cast Time:2  Recharge:15

- Chain Lightning (Air Magic)
Target enemy and up to two other enemies near your target are struck for 94 lightning damage. This spell causes Exhaustion.
Energy:10  Cast Time:2  Recharge:20

- Lightning Strike (Air Magic)
Strike target enemy for 47 lightning damage.
Energy:5  Cast Time:1  Recharge:5

- Lightning Orb (Air Magic)
Lightning Orb flies toward target enemy and strikes for 94 lightning damage if it hits.
Energy:15  Cast Time:2  Recharge:5

- Air Attunement (Air Magic)
For the next 58 seconds, you are attuned to Air. You gain 30% of the energy cost of the spell each time you use Air Magic.
Energy:10  Cast Time:2  Recharge:60

- Shadow of Fear (Curses)
Target enemy and all adjacent enemies attack slower than normal for the next 36 seconds.
Energy:10  Cast Time:2  Recharge:10

- Enfeebling Blood (Curses)
Sacrifice 17% max health. Target enemy and all nearby enemies suffer from Weakness. for 15 seconds.
Energy:10  Cast Time:2  Recharge:10

- Glyph of Lesser Energy (Elementalist None)
Your next spell costs 15 less energy to cast.
Energy:5  Cast Time:1  Recharge:15

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 02:41:37 AM by trias_e »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 04:49:07 AM

Well, there are 2 things that are frighteningly evident:

Rangers and Warriors are nearly unnecessary to be effective. Nukes + Healing get the job done very quickly. A good mix of Necros and Monks can be devastating. Warriors are good for chasing down stragglers and beating them to death, but until half of a team or so is dead, they are focused on quickly after the healers/priest due to their ability to deliver a large amount of damage very quickly.

Curses for necromancers are simply too slow. Assume that every single person has some quick way of healing, as such you need to be able to drop quick damage. Blood Magic is going to give you that with 2 drains and a surprisingly fast DoT. This is my nuker that I'm using as my main as well, and plan on continuing with considering the performance and DPS in the PvP last night.

Necromentalist:
Soul Reaping - Level 6

Fire - Level 12
Glyph of Lesser Energy - Your next spell costs 15 less Energy to cast.
Flare - Flare flies towards target foe, striking for 40 fire damage if it hits.
Fire Storm - For 10 seconds, the area around target foe is bombarded with a rain of fire that strikes for 24 fire damage each second.

Blood - Level 11 + 1 (from Scar that gives +1 Blood)
Life Siphon - For 22 seconds, target suffers health degeneration of 3, and you gain health regeneration of 3.
Vampiric Gaze - Steal 52 health from target foe.
Shadow Strike - Target foe takes 41 shadow damage. If that foe's health is above 50%, you steal 41 health.
Blood Renewal - Sacrifice 33% maximum health. For 10 seconds, you gain health regeneration of 3. When Blood Renewal ends, you gain 160 health.

I had a resurrection Signet in my last spot - but it proved entirely unnecessary. I'll probably replace it with Well of Blood or Unholy Feast. Basically, the build if quite simple -

1. Cast Blood Renewal - Insta Regen. You can be beatdown and still be gaining life.
2. Glyph of Lesser Energy - Duh?
3. Shadow Strike - If you go into battle with this, it's 82 damage right off the bat - and it heals up some of the loss from renewal.
4. Alternate between Vampiric Gaze (when you need health)/Flare (Zero recharge time, replaces regular attack) - 52 and 41 damage respectively.

Addendum: If there's lots of enemies, replace step 3 with Fire Storm. If there's one enemy and they're already being pounded on, and you need life - replace Flare in step 4 with at least 1 Life Siphon.

The amount of damage that can be done in short order is devestating - particularly with the items you can equip at level 20 in the PvP toon generator jobber.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 04:53:03 AM

Btw, there are a lot of Elite Curses/Blood magic that would make a straight Necro build completely reasonable in PvP. Same goes for straight elementalist of mesmer. Unfortunately, there's a reason they're elite skills....
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 08:04:18 AM

What are elite skills and how do they differ from normal skills?
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 09:01:23 AM

Rangers and Warriors

Rangers are basically useful for pinning down and interupting enemies.  I wouldn't use one for damage most likely.  Warriors are utterly amazing when they assist each other and they aren't debuffed.  However, turtle warrior builds are useless:  You need to go for damage, snares, interrupts.  Once people start attacking you and realize you aren't a soft target, they'll move on.  One of the top 10 ladder teams in beta ran 4 warriors and 4 monks.

And if you are looking for more necro pwnage schild, here's a few skills you may want to be on the lookout for.

From Curses:

Soul Barbs   - Hex Spell
For 30 seconds, target foe takes 15-27 damage when an enchantment or hex is cast on that target.  (Soul Barbs, + 3-4 DoT hexes + 2 nukes = ouch)

Lingering Curse {Elite}   - Hex Spell
Sacrifice 10% of maximum health. Target foe loses all enchantments. For 8-18 seconds, target foe gains only half health from healing spells.  (less heals is always good)

Feast of Corruption {Elite}   - Spell
Target foe and all adjacent foes are struck for 16-67 shadow damage. You steal 8-34 health from each struck foe who is suffering from a hex.  (Nukearific)

What are elite skills and how do they differ from normal skills?

Elite spells are supposed to rock.  You can only have one of them on your skillbar at any time.  The elite skill you have is usuaully the cornerstone of your build.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 09:10:26 AM

We should probably post whatever character we are leveling up here as well.  I really think that bare mininum we need 2 warriors and 2 monks.

I'm leveling a Me/W right now but it seems somewhat gimpy.  I'll restart, but I'd like to know what to be.  I'll play anything really, but mesmer and monk are probably my favorites.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 11:00:28 AM

I too and leveling up a Me/W, but she is decidedly NOT gimpy. She can absolutely RAPE tanks once she gets all the right skills.

Also, unfortunately in large PvP battles (8v8) you really need at least 2 healing monks, preferebly 3.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 11:13:47 AM

Cool, that just cements my decision to remake (no reason to have two Me/W's).  I'll most likely end up as a monk or warrior primary, because it looks like we'll need em.  As far as monks go, you could get away with 2 if you have dedicated tank debuffers and caster shutdown (this removes a ton of damage itself). 
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 12:24:36 PM

I've got one Warrior. Thought about making it a W/Mes. Not sure. My Ele/Ranger isn't doing too well. I have to employ the help of all but 1 henchmen to get anywhere in post-searing Ascalon. Sucks. Any suggestions for a build that'll be useful to the guild? I'm all up for the PvP. Loved it in beta, loved it at E3 (won a thumb drive) and still loving it.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 01:54:57 PM

Im doing a Warrior/Monk.  I have maximum stabbity yet can heal myself in combat.  Amazingly handy.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 01:58:55 PM

Monk is a frighteningly popular secondary profession.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 02:21:33 PM

This build can actually take out 2 healers, backfiring one and then focusing on interupting.diversion another.
I hope that's not the case, otherwise that would be broken.

In any event I managed to fix my crashing problem so I'll be giving Guild Wars another chance. Is Mesmer the best secondary for a Monk?
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 02:27:16 PM

I've gone Monk/Mes, but feel pretty damn restricted with the 8 spell slots and trying to do both, so I may either re-roll a mes/monk and focus on the debuffs (I haven't seen the fastcast, but it seems quite nifty), or stick as a healing preist and drop all but one of the mesmer skills (ether feast actually looks damn promising--steal energy and a self heal).

Playing through for the first time, I'm a bit hampered right now without knowing what really is effective PvP vs what isn't. My best skillset was always playing an enchanter in EQ, and it looks like mesmer is a very similar skill concept in play style (keeping track of what spells have been cast on what foes, etc.), so I can probably do the anti-healer role.

Really looking for guidance more than anything else--I'm pretty open to creating a dedicated PvP template that is dictated by someone else for maximum group capability.

Rumors of War
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 02:45:20 PM

BTW, I'd suggest that we have multiple healing monks. One of the most effective SB PvP groups I ever saw had 3 healing preists...you just couldn't kill anyone in that group, even with focused filre. It seems like PvP is going to be extremely fast paced, and focused fire is going to nail down characters much faster than one monk would be able to heal.

Rumors of War
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 04:09:24 PM

There's a counter for everything in this game, and backfire can be countered by some hex removal.  However you'd need a mesmer built to take out the opposing team's mesmers in order to fully stop it however.

And also, 1 warrior could (eventually) take out an infinite amount of anti caster mesmers, it's sort of a rock paper scissors scenario.

I don't think we need as many healing monks as you'd think.  Actually Protection has some damn good healing itself along with condition removal.  My current favorite idea for a monk is to split healing/protection/divine favor, throw in an arcane echo and get double marks of protection off while spamming orison of healing/healing breeze.  You put on healing breeze and mending after the mark of protection in an attempt to make sure it doesn't get removed.  Anyways though, mark of protection is the *ultimate* spell when it comes to anti-focus fire, if they can't remove it.  Here's the first version of it:

Monk/Mesmer

DivineFavor: 10 (+1)
HealingPrayers: 11 (+1)
ProtectionPrayers: 7
Inspiration: 7

- Healing Breeze (Healing Prayers)
For the next 10 seconds, target ally regenerates 8 health regeneration each second.
Energy:10  Cast Time:1  Recharge:2

- Orison of Healing (Healing Prayers)
Heal target ally for 60.
Energy:5  Cast Time:1  Recharge:2

- Arcane Echo (Illusion)
If you cast a spell in the next 10 seconds, Arcane Echo is replaced with that spell for 20 seconds. Arcane Echo ends prematurely if you use a non-spell skill.
Energy:15  Cast Time:2  Recharge:30

- Mark of Protection [Elite] (Protection Prayers)
For the next 10 seconds, any time target ally would take damage, that ally is healed for that amount instead, maximum 31. All your Protection Prayers are disabled for 10 seconds.
Energy:15  Cast Time:1  Recharge:45

- Mending (Healing Prayers)
While you maintain this Enchantment, target ally gains 3 health regeneration.
Energy:10  Cast Time:2  Recharge:0

- Power Drain (Inspiration)
If target foe is casting a spell, the spell is interrupted and you gain 15 energy.
Energy:5  Cast Time:0.25  Recharge:25

- Energy Tap (Inspiration)
Steal 11 energy from target foe.
Energy:5  Cast Time:3  Recharge:20

- Inspired Hex (Inspiration)
Remove a Hex from target ally and gain 9 energy. For the next 20 seconds, Inspired Hex is replaced with the Hex that was removed.
Energy:5  Cast Time:1  Recharge:0

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 04:14:38 PM

Really looking for guidance more than anything else--I'm pretty open to creating a dedicated PvP template that is dictated by someone else for maximum group capability

Go for the anti-caster, but a mesmer primary would be better for it certainly.  Mesmers are fun and can be based on interupts, damage, anti-caster,  anti-tank and condition spreading (especially useful with an N), condition spamming for damage (with fragility and an E, R, or N), you name it.  They are definitely my favorite class thus far.

Also, you should probably be aware than an anti-caster build is only useful in PvP.  For PvE you'll definitely need a variety of skills.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 05:19:34 PM by trias_e »
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 07:59:30 PM

Ok, I'm enjoying the mesmer side a bit more than the monk, so going to go with a build very similar to this:

We need a character or two completely dedicated to shutting down healers.  Mesmers do this very well, but rangers and warriors can also.  An example build:

Mesmer/Monk

FastCasting: 8
Domination: 12
Inspiration: 10

- Shame (Domination)
For the next 9 seconds, the next time target enemy casts a spell on an ally, the spell fails and you steal 13 energy.
Energy:10  Cast Time:1.48  Recharge:30
Will probably push up my healer primary mo/me a bit, but time is going to be limited over the next month, so I don't see more than one toon for a while.

Rumors of War
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 09:54:29 PM

There's a counter for everything in this game, and backfire can be countered by some hex removal.  However you'd need a mesmer built to take out the opposing team's mesmers in order to fully stop it however.
Yeah I figured there was but I only did a couple of PvP sessions during beta so I'm not up on all the strats. This is actually my biggest concern about the game -- that winning or losing in PvP will be heavily dependent on guessing the skill loadouts of the other teams, sort of like how for the top players in CCG tournaments correctly guessing the metagame is the most critical part of doing well.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 10:46:31 PM

Yeah I figured there was but I only did a couple of PvP sessions during beta so I'm not up on all the strats. This is actually my biggest concern about the game -- that winning or losing in PvP will be heavily dependent on guessing the skill loadouts of the other teams, sort of like how for the top players in CCG tournaments correctly guessing the metagame is the most critical part of doing well.

Well my hope is that it's more like the session 8 of us played last October where we defended the Bat Country Guild Hall. That session lasted an hour and over the course of the hour we kind of got to know what the other team was doing, so each time we rezzed we could try countering specific things they were doing.

It was damn tough trying to communicate via text during heated battles, though. This is a game made for Teamspeak, as far as I'm concerned. As well as for groups who know how to load their character's power sets to work in combination with those of their teammates. If you only create your powerset to work with your own abilities then you might as well be playing a soloer in a pickup group. Good teams will plan their skill sets.

What I haven't found out yet is whether they have built a mechanism in the UI for saving your "builds" so that it's easy to recall -- for example -- that this is my "Caster Lockdown" build or this is my "Warrior Support" build, etc.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 10:54:50 PM

Also, Backfire and spamming Wastrel's Worry = boned caster. They can either cast and eat the backfire damage in one chunk or they can do nothing and take about 50% more damage from three Wastrels. Har har har. If there's a counter, I don't know what it is.

Working up an anti-caster Me/Ele by the way. Goes by the name of Taken Myname. Curses upon the assgoblin who grabbed Angry Bob.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 11:24:06 PM

In any event I managed to fix my crashing problem so I'll be giving Guild Wars another chance.
Argh, turns out my "fix" only managed to postpone when my crashes occur. Oh well, hopefully I'll get this working eventually.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 09:45:23 AM

Understanding and anticipating the metagame is a component in almost every game beyond simple team DM fps.  But yes I would wager that a major component of success in GuildWars will be anticipating what are seen as the more powerful team builds and countering them while still having the flexibility to handle other team configurations you might encounter.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 01:23:15 PM

Well, you guys figure it out and tell me what build(s) I should have - I'll play it.  :-D

- Viin
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 02:02:51 PM

If there's a counter, I don't know what it is.

Here's a few:

Mesmer (Domination) spells:

Shatter Hex   - Spell
Remove a "Hex" from target ally. If a Hex is removed, foes near that ally take 22-116 damage.

Hex Breaker   - Stance
For 60-156 seconds, the next time you are the target of a Hex, that Hex fails, the caster takes 10-39 damage and Hex Breaker ends.

Diversion   - Hex Spell
For 6 seconds, the next time target foe uses a skill, that skill takes an additional 10-47 seconds to recharge.  (no more spamming Wastrel's)

Monk

Smite Hex   - Spell
Remove a "Hex" from target ally. Foes near that ally suffer 10-70 damage.

Convert Hexes   - Spell
Remove all "Hexes" from target other ally. For 8-18 seconds, that ally gains +10 armor for each Necromancer Hex that was removed.

Remove Hex   - Spell
Remove a "Hex" from target ally.

Holy Veil   - Enchantment Spell
While you maintain this Enchantment, any Enchantments or Hexes cast on target creature take twice as long to cast. Costs one Energy Regeneration to maintain.

All you need is a couple of these abilities spread across 2-3 people and you'd be good for countering Backfire/Wastrel's.  This isn't to say backfire doesn't rule, which it definitely still does.

Interrupts and Energy Drain builds are much harder to counter, actually.

Well, you guys figure it out and tell me what build(s) I should have - I'll play it.

Looks like we've got tanks and anti-casters.  I'm working on a W/E myself but can change at any point if needed.  I think its a good idea for someone to go Me/N or E/N and go anti-tank.  We could always use more healers as well.  You can get away with about any secondary for monk primary if you'd like to do that.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 03:27:24 PM

I have a PvP N/Me that seems to work ok, I think Warriors Bane is the class name. Lots of weakness and slowness spells, plus some life/energy stealing spells (though I need to get syphon life).

- Viin
Strazos

Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 11:21:23 AM

Here's the R/Me build I used in beta (remembered to the best of my ability):

Attributes: Marksmanship, Wilderness Lore, Domination (distribute points as you like, I would suggest something like 12,10,8)

1. Backfire - Hex Spell
For 10 seconds, whenever target foe casts a spell that foe takes 35-119 damage.

2. Wastrel's Worry - Hex Spell
After 3 seconds, target foe takes 8-53 damage. Wastrel's Worry ends prematurely if that foe uses a skill.

3. Hunter's Shot - Bow Attack
If Hunter's Shot hits, you strike for +3-13 damage. If this attack hits a moving foe, that foe begins bleeding for 3-21 seconds.

4. Ignite Arrows - Preparation
For 12 seconds, your arrows explode on contact, dealing 3-15 Fire damage.
OR
4. Kindle Arrows - Preparation
For 12 seconds, your arrows deal an additional 3-20 Fire damage.
(I simply found Kindle to work better, I don't know why.)

5. Poison Arrow {Elite} - Bow Attack
If Poison Arrow hits, your target becomes Poisoned for 5-17 seconds.

6. Troll Unguent - Skill
For 10 seconds, you gain health regeneration +3-9.

7. Pin Down - Bow Attack
If Pin Down hits, your target is "Crippled" for 3-13 seconds.

8. Whatever suits your fancy. I would suggest some kind of Stance for defense. I had...
Serpent's Quickness - Stance
For 15-27 seconds, recharge times for your skills are lowered 33%. Serpent's Quickness ends if your health drops below 50%
But I think when something says "skills", it doesn't mean the stuff you can do, but actual abilities whose type = Skill
You might also want to try one of the Nature Spirits or a Trap in this slot. You could even swap Domination with one of the other Mesmer attributes if you can think of something cool.

The way this build works is: Does a boatload of quick damage by stacking the Marksmanship bonus with whichever Preperation you picked and Poison Arrow. You also have 2 attacks to nail runners with, and 2 Domination spells to help you out. Pumped-up Backfire is extremely useful to taking down casters fast, and Wastrel's Worry is cheap, easy, fast damage. The Troll Unguent is very useful for keeping you alive. I had a lot of success with this in Beta.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Lemming
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 07:42:43 PM

Rangers are basically useful for pinning down and interupting enemies.  I wouldn't use one for damage most likely. 

Are rangers really this bad off at release?  I played the world event as a level 20 ranger/warrior and I put out mad damage.  I can't remember the names of my skills, but I had three hard hitting single shot skills, troll potion(or whatever it's called), two defensive stances, and two stackable haste skills.  With this combo I was able to obliterate damn near any class that stood in my way.  The only classes that really posed any problems were well equipped warrior/monks and mezmers.  Even other rangers who were brave enough to shoot at me fell quickly.  During the normal beta I tried playing with one of their pre-made level 20 ranger/warrior, but they seemed to think that build was made for melee.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 03, 2005, 09:15:46 PM

Rangers are still great at damage.  R/E's with an elemental string/conjure element do intense damage, R/Mo's using judge's insight can do good damage, and R/Me's can exploit fragility to great effect.  There was a R/W flourish build I saw floating around as well.  I just like them more for their great snares and interrupts.  Epidemic + Crippling Shot is where it's at.
Strazos

Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 04:07:54 PM

Unfortunately interrupts, for any class, are kinda tough when you consider the low casting time of many spells.

Fear the Backstab!
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 06:00:52 PM

Running a Mes/Ele.  Fun so far.  Empathy/Backfire is a cool pair to have.

"Stop hitting yourself!  Why are you hitting yourself?! Stop hitting yourself!"

It may be a small thing, but the way GW puts the emphasis on a drain rate rather the total damage done by something is viscerally fucking cool.  I love watching life get sucked up and down at different speeds.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 05, 2005, 08:04:46 AM

Unfortunately interrupts, for any class, are kinda tough when you consider the low casting time of many spells.

You have to play them smart. I usually hold onto my interrupt skills until I see someone casting a spell I know takes awhile.. I specifically look for resurrection casts - pretty easy to interrupt those. Also, a lot of the Necro spells take awhile, so they can be fairly easy to interrupt if you are paying attention.

- Viin
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 05, 2005, 08:52:44 AM

the easy way to land interrupt spells is to drop a spell like Arcane Conundrum (cast time increased 200%) on them. it becomes rather simple from there.
Strazos

Reply #32 on: May 05, 2005, 09:46:02 AM

the easy way to land interrupt spells is to drop a spell like Arcane Conundrum (cast time increased 200%) on them. it becomes rather simple from there.

How, why in the hell did I not think of that?

But anyway, when I was speaking of interrupt difficulty, I really meant clerics, since they are the ones I gun for when playing anti-caster. Yes, i can stop a rez, but their heals are what I really want to stop, and those are usually pretty quick.

Fear the Backstab!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 11:09:09 AM

How, why in the hell did I not think of that?

But anyway, when I was speaking of interrupt difficulty, I really meant clerics, since they are the ones I gun for when playing anti-caster. Yes, i can stop a rez, but their heals are what I really want to stop, and those are usually pretty quick.

Throw down some half-healing hexes or curses or whatever.
e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 07:46:27 AM

Necromentalist:
Soul Reaping - Level 6

Fire - Level 12
Glyph of Lesser Energy - Your next spell costs 15 less Energy to cast.
Flare - Flare flies towards target foe, striking for 40 fire damage if it hits.
Fire Storm - For 10 seconds, the area around target foe is bombarded with a rain of fire that strikes for 24 fire damage each second.

Blood - Level 11 + 1 (from Scar that gives +1 Blood)
Life Siphon - For 22 seconds, target suffers health degeneration of 3, and you gain health regeneration of 3.
Vampiric Gaze - Steal 52 health from target foe.
Shadow Strike - Target foe takes 41 shadow damage. If that foe's health is above 50%, you steal 41 health.
Blood Renewal - Sacrifice 33% maximum health. For 10 seconds, you gain health regeneration of 3. When Blood Renewal ends, you gain 160 health.

I had a resurrection Signet in my last spot - but it proved entirely unnecessary. I'll probably replace it with Well of Blood or Unholy Feast. Basically, the build if quite simple -

1. Cast Blood Renewal - Insta Regen. You can be beatdown and still be gaining life.
2. Glyph of Lesser Energy - Duh?
3. Shadow Strike - If you go into battle with this, it's 82 damage right off the bat - and it heals up some of the loss from renewal.
4. Alternate between Vampiric Gaze (when you need health)/Flare (Zero recharge time, replaces regular attack) - 52 and 41 damage respectively.

Is this your pve or pvp template?

for PVP i suggest:
1: drop fire. Fire sucks in PVP. Try Air or water. Air is rather uber, especially with major runes.
2: Carry rend enchantments, this skill is simply expected in a pvp group (well of profane and strip enchantment is a plus)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Organizing a Group  
Jump to: