Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: I need to vent about f-ing thieves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need to vent about f-ing thieves  (Read 15890 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: April 27, 2005, 03:38:02 PM

Just got back from my storage unit after getting a call from them. My locks wer cut and they stole basically everything in there, including nearly everything that I had of my deceased father's (which included 10 guns, some of which were quite valuable) much of which had no value whatsoever to anyone but me.

I've decided that theives are the lowest fucking pieces of shit lifeforms this ball of rock has unfortunatley belched forth.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 03:46:26 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:40:01 PM

That fucking sucks. I am especially dismayed to hear that there are even more stolen guns out there, particularly since they held some sentimental value.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 03:49:54 PM

People who steal stuff of that much sentimental value should be sentenced to be run over by a fucking car if they don't give the stuff back.

Shitbag thievery seems to transcend race, class, and gender- some Ivy League jackoff will steal stuff out of your dorm just as easily as some junky on the street.  As has been said on every board since Lum's original, people are broken.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:03:10 PM

That fucking sucks. I am especially dismayed to hear that there are even more stolen guns out there, particularly since they held some sentimental value.

I doubt they will be robbing any liquor stores with them as most of them were long guns and the 3 pistols were all over 110 years old.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:09:22 PM

Might want to keep an eye on eBay.  You never know how dumb someone might be.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 04:16:39 PM

eBAy, or any pawn shop (not to be confused with a pwn shop). If you file a police report, they can make pawn shops report that kinda shit, right? I know getting them to do it is the real issue, but might be worth a shot.

One time my backpack was in my friend's van when it got broken into, and all they really got was a bunch of my hippie crap (this was like, 10 years ago). I did, however, lose a sketch book and journal, both of which documented incredible personal growth and were of no other value.

Sorry to hear about that shit! Vengeance shall be thine!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 04:24:01 PM

Sucky man  cry

Don't suppose you had insurance on it? (Not that they could replace sentimental items).

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 04:30:49 PM

My homeowners will cover it, but I don't have great records, so they will try to screw me I'm sure.  You are right its the sentimental stuff. They took things like my dad's old football cleats from the 60s.

-H.L. Mencken
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 04:46:50 PM

They took things like my dad's old football cleats from the 60s.

Jesus, I'd be pissed.

My car was broken into last year...Stereo and CD collection stolen, etc., etc.. I was supremely pissed. But sentimental stuff like that? I'd be pissed enough to kill or severely maim a person if I were you.

Sorry to hear.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 05:41:44 PM

Just got back from my storage unit after getting a call from them. My locks wer cut and they stole basically everything in there, including nearly everything that I had of my deceased father's (which included 10 guns, some of which were quite valuable) much of which had no value whatsoever to anyone but me.

I've decided that theives are the lowest fucking pieces of shit lifeforms this ball of rock has unfortunatley belched forth.

That's horrible.  I hate it when people steal sentimental items, regardless of their perceived monetary value.

What I'm wondering is:  How did the thieves get into the storage unit to begin with?  Doesn't the storage place you used have nightwatchmen, or at least alarms?  Wouldn't they have made a ton of noise breaking in, cutting a lock, and rifling through the storage unit?  I'd question those storage unit people pretty sternly.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 05:47:45 PM

As I learned from the officer who took my report, this place is now theft central. When I signed up they had people basically living on site. Without notifying anyone apparently, the company has eliminated this, yet doesn't have any security or even video surveilance. It is basically deserted at night and he said people jump the key-padded gate, cut locks off of a bunch of units, move it to a unit they have rented and then move it out during the day like they are emptying their own unit.  I'm royally pissed at the company (the cop was too, he was lecturing them while I was there) and when I mentioned to the cop I was an attorney, he said I should "do something about it."  I'm going to talk to my insurance company and let them know they may want to subrogate againt the storage place.  If I thought I had any chance of tagging them with some claim beyond what my insurance will reimburse me, I would do it in a hearbeat, but I don't know if I have it in me to tilt against that windmill at the moment.

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 05:51:17 PM

I think you should legal-bitchslap them back to the Stone Age on general principle.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 05:57:09 PM

As I learned from the officer who took my report, this place is now theft central. When I signed up they had people basically living on site. Without notifying anyone apparently, the company has eliminated this, yet doesn't have any security or even video surveilance. It is basically deserted at night and he said people jump the key-padded gate, cut locks off of a bunch of units, move it to a unit they have rented and then move it out during the day like they are emptying their own unit.  I'm royally pissed at the company (the cop was too, he was lecturing them while I was there) and when I mentioned to the cop I was an attorney, he said I should "do something about it."  I'm going to talk to my insurance company and let them know they may want to subrogate againt the storage place.  If I thought I had any chance of tagging them with some claim beyond what my insurance will reimburse me, I would do it in a hearbeat, but I don't know if I have it in me to tilt against that windmill at the moment.

Yeah, I'm helping a friend right now who had something somewhat similar happen with a place she used to live.  The cost and effort and strain of litigation is probably not her best bet.  Sucks that it seems to be the same for you.  This is the kind of stuff that really pisses me off...the cost of litigating (how do you prove up damages for items that have sentimental value?) may pretty much outweigh the award.  But this is a situation where someone needs to pay.  I just hope they catch the fuckers who did this.  At least then, even if you don't file a civil suit, they pay for their asshattery.

Sorry man, that truly sucks. :/

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 06:00:30 PM

It kinda sucks that the law doesn't attach any value onto property beyond pure monetary value.  I could easily see a decent class action on something like this if they reduced security, had continual theft problems yet failed to notify anyone. Maybe I could make it a fraud or unfair business practices type claim and try to tag them with punitives, but like I said, I don't know if I have it in me to go to the trouble.

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 06:11:31 PM

Fuck, that sucks Ab.  I hope they manage to find at least some of it for you.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 04:54:13 AM

Take a look at your state's Deceptive Trade Practices Act if it has one.  Changing the terms of service without notice normally fits within one of the enumerated sections or in the catchall.

Ours has the potential for treble damages if the violations were intentional. 

Just FYI.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 05:19:26 AM

Ab I feel for ya bro but I have to ask one question. What in the flying hell were you storing Guns in a storage shed for? Take one to many clubbin's up side the head?

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 06:38:38 AM

Burned any good CDs lately?

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 06:43:16 AM

If I thought I had any chance of tagging them with some claim beyond what my insurance will reimburse me, I would do it in a hearbeat, but I don't know if I have it in me to tilt against that windmill at the moment.

I know I say this from the comfort of my chair, but I'd say go after them if there's anything close to legitimate you can hit them with.  If they knew there was a problem and did nothing to improve the situation (and took steps to make it worse?), it would seem they are defeating the basic principle of being a storage company. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 08:13:29 AM

Ab I feel for ya bro but I have to ask one question. What in the flying hell were you storing Guns in a storage shed for? Take one to many clubbin's up side the head?

My wife doesn't like guns and didn't want them in the house. We just moved and I was in the process of getting a gun safe as a compromise, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 08:17:45 AM

My homeowners will cover it, but I don't have great records, so they will try to screw me I'm sure.  You are right its the sentimental stuff. They took things like my dad's old football cleats from the 60s.

That requires the kind of punishment that starts with a hard table, a hammer and fingers. Stealing the guns was bad enough, but at least you could argue there's some value on them, especially the pistols. Of course, chances are the thieves are too fucking stupid to actually know how to get any real value for them. But old football cleats? That's just fucking stupid.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 08:23:20 AM

Burned any good CDs lately?

One warning. Don't even fucking start that kind of derail. This is not Raging Douchebags Week.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 08:30:36 AM

I would think that out of most of it the antique pistols might actually be recoverable, that is if they try to sell them.  19th century handguns are pretty rare and some of them are very valuable so most pawnshops, gunshops and collectors are already on the lookout for those sorts of things.  So if the culprits try and actually get a reasonable value for the pieces they are going to show up 'in the system' eventually.  Hopefully you have serial numbers and such...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 08:38:23 AM

This is not Raging Douchebags Week.

Can you front page banner the week this applies to when it starts?

Holy crap Ab,

Feel for you brother.  When I last moved I dumped about half my shit in one of those places.  With in three months I found some new cat sitting at the desk and he said I had to resign paperwork since the property was just sold.  I said sure, don't have time right then to do it, but would get to it that week.  Got all my shit out that evening and did not go back.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 08:47:39 AM

And to answer the douchbaggery up there, I've never stolen intellectually property of any kind, ever. No mp3s, no bittorrent, no software. Nothin. So fuck you.

I just found out there are exceptionally low limits in my insurance policy for guns and coins, the two things of real value they took. Wonderful.  Looks like I am going after the storage place after all.  I need to go get a copy of my contract to see how draconian the liability waivers are.

-H.L. Mencken
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 01:47:37 PM

Might want to keep an eye on eBay.  You never know how dumb someone might be.

In this vein, my parents' has 50 Navajo rugs stolen from their ski house in Wyoming. The rugs were all recovered because the agent through which my mom found them 7 years before had them offered to him, he recognized them and called my Mom. She called the police who finally decided to actually investigate now that a lead was handed to them on a fucking silver platter. The man was caught but he was not prosecuted because he had an outstanding warrant in Washington state that trumped this crime, apparently.

Lesson: Rare or special objects are hard to fence. Keep your eyes open.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 02:09:31 PM

She called the police who finally decided to actually investigate now that a lead was handed to them on a fucking silver platter.
I've had everything from guitars and band gear to my comics and c64 stolen, prior to a few years ago just about everything I owned got stolen at some point.

The police have never found any of it, never made any arrests, nothing. I'm talking dozens of cases over maybe ten-fifteen years. I wish I had a job like that, where I could do nothing at all and just shrug it off and not get fired.

I feel sorry for the next poor bastard who tries to break into my house.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 03:44:32 PM

I wish I had a job like that, where I could do nothing at all and just shrug it off and not get fired.

I'm sure they write plenty of traffic tickets and arrest lots of pot smokers. How dare you accuse them of doing nothing!

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 04:31:02 AM

Why would you even steal that?

"Dude, grab those cleats!  I'm playing football tomorrow, I'll look vintage-sweet in those!"
-_O

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #29 on: April 29, 2005, 06:17:12 AM

My wife doesn't like guns and didn't want them in the house. We just moved and I was in the process of getting a gun safe as a compromise, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Thats cool I was just wondering.

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 07:06:23 AM

Why would you even steal that?

"Dude, grab those cleats!  I'm playing football tomorrow, I'll look vintage-sweet in those!"
-_O

If you were a thief, would you appraise every item individually, thereby dramatically increasing the available time to be caught? Throw it all in a bag and sort it later makes sense. What doesn't make sense is robbing self-storgae lockers. No one leaves jewelry or valuables in those. Ab's guns may be valuable to a collector, but thieves want stuff they can fence now.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 07:16:05 AM

Hey that would be a good idea for a new home makeover show!

Contestants have to break into storage facilities to get the supplies for the redesign, no budget at all!

Maybe a small problem with filming felonies, but hey.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 09:22:11 AM

You will most likely get the guns back, as they will be pawned off in short order.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 08:21:27 PM

Maybe your thieves will turn out to be as stupid as these ones:

Men Who Claimed to Find Treasure Arrested
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 10:14:55 PM

Just for reference, I'm a Rogue, not a Thief; There IS a difference.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: I need to vent about f-ing thieves  
Jump to: