Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Iron Man v4 1-3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Man v4 1-3  (Read 3535 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: April 26, 2005, 02:08:24 PM

I believe this is Iron Man volume 4, if you count the uneven 12-issue reboot series they did with the whole Image crew that started well and ended so badly. This new volume follows on the heels of the end of the last Iron Man series, which came out of the ridiculous and shitty Avengers Disassembled story.

So, apparently, Iron Man has gone from being SECRETARY OF DEFENSE (which I completely never fucking bought), to being disgraced because of his actions at the UN, to a huge fight with other Iron Men including the one who killed his girlfriend, Rumiko (a character introduced near the beginning of Volume 3 that was written well). At the end, Tony Stark publicly proclaims he has retired from being Iron Man, but that there would be someone in the Iron Man suit, as the Iron one was always needed. Now, take that to the point where apparently, the public has completely bought that Iron Man is no longer Tony Stark.

Warren Ellis comes in with some well-written issues, and the art in the first 3 is extremely painterly, almost like Alex Ross or John Cassady. It's also quite cinematic in approach. The writing is good, but the retconning of Iron Man has begun, and I have to tell you, it's starting to wear thin. No longer is Iron Man a weapons designer injured in Vietnam. Apparently, he is now a weapons designer mortally wounded in the first Gulf War at the tender age of 20? So that in present time, he's no older than say 35 or so. We are starting to stretch the believability of these heroes by a lot. I'd be more in tune with keeping his youthfulness because of the many changes he's undergone over the years, such as the time he was reverted to a 15-year old boy with his adult mind. That makes more sense to me than just trying to shove under the rug the fact that he was Sec. of Defense (at ages that you can't even serve as a Senator), or that everyone will somehow magically believe he isn't in the Iron Man suit. I'd be MORE inclined to agree with a magic-solution (everyone just actually does forget) than this. It smacks of lazy storytelling, and is becoming all too prevalent at the House of Ideas (and DC too).

Other than that, the comic is decently well-done, not a spectacular read, but not terrible. At best, it's simply forgettable as being neither outstanding or outlandish.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:35:37 PM

Hmmm.....

Used to read Iron Man "back in the day".  Enjoyed the Armor Wars quite a bit,  though I'm still confused about the whole "I'm rich! I'm poor! I'm rich!" thing he did during that run....

Comics always run into big problems when they try to tie to closely to real world events.  It forces writers to revisit the characters history every few years,  or end up with a much aged superhero (why did I just picture Dr. Venture Sr.'s cronies from "The Venture Bros"?)

The best origin stories, I think, are like Spider-man.....  besides fashion/art style,  it could be anytime and anyplace.

MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 02:49:23 PM

Related to Iron Man but a bit off topic ...

How are the Ultimates?  I've read the first two volumes of issues in graphic novel form, and although Iron Man wasn't in them nearly enough (too much time spent on the Captain America storyline), I liked them overall.  Is the rest of the series worth reading if yiou're an Iron Man fan from way back?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:02:17 PM

I haven't read the Ultimates stuff yet, but I've heard good reviews.

Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 01:42:38 AM

I'm enjoying Ultimates the same way I enjoy a big summer blockbuster. Enjoy it for what it is and dont think too deeply about it all and you'll be fine. The present storyline is all about Thor but the backup story is about Iron Man.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Iron Man v4 1-3  
Jump to: