Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: G.L.A. Misassembled 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: G.L.A. Misassembled  (Read 2605 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: April 10, 2005, 09:16:35 PM

Picked this up on a bit of a whim figuring if nothing else there would probably be some good pokes at Avengers Disassembled, and stories involving the Great Lakes Avengers are usually at least mildly entertaining.  Dan Slott is a pretty good writer and his recent She-Hulk series was actually pretty damn funny at times.  GLA is not only funny but it's does a great job of telling the origin of Mr. Immortal (the team member whose only power is the ability to come back to life shortly after he's killed).  This issue has a good mix of comedy and tragedy, and unlike most of their other appearances, you really get to like some of these characters.  Of course like Avengers Disassembeld this mini promises gratuitous deaths of team members.  Unlike AD though, the death in this issue was handeled with a lot more taste.  Along with Countdown, there seems to be a trend right now with getting readers to like characters right before they get killed off.  And no, it's not Mr. Immortal that dies, although he does die too, several times in fact.

Paul Pelletier does some great art in this one.  From Leather Boy, and the Giant Robot Snowman head, to the Ani-men, Maelstrom, and Deathurge (who plays an important part in Mr. Immortal's back story and seems to enjoy getting him killed several times when Mr. I is a kid), the art does a great job of pulling off the conflicting tones of the books.  Well worth checking out right now at a time when other comics are taking themselves way too seriously.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 08:31:00 PM by Velorath »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:04:12 PM

The TPB for this mini is now available and highly recommended (as is the GLX-mas special).  One of my favorite stories from last year, it's comics like this that keep me from hating Marvel.  Despite all the crap product they churn out, they still manage to print books like this that they have to know aren't going to be big sellers.

Dan Slott's work on She-Hulk, the Spiderman/Human Torch mini, and the current Thing mini are all good books, but he really seems to have a feel for the GLA.  It's not easy turning a group of fourth-rate characters into something that the readers care about.  He's got a love for the characters that shows through even when he's doing horrible things to them.  It's a welcome change from cynical writers who kill off characters for shock value and sales boosts while professing their love for them in interviews.

Slott's blend of humor, characterization, and use of Marvel history reminds me a lot of Peter David's writing, with Slott seeming to focus more on the humor than David does.  I can't recommend this TPB enough.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:31:01 AM

Weird I've never heard of these guys - how long have they been around? Are they strictly comedy?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:00:17 PM

Weird I've never heard of these guys - how long have they been around? Are they strictly comedy?

The GLA (Great Lakes Avengers) are a 3rd rate group of superheroes that tried to declare themselves as a branch of the Avengers.  Hawkeye and Mockingbird helped train them later on.  Their first appearance from West Coast Avengers is actually reprinted in the TPB for people who don't know the characters.  They also made an appearance in a couple early issues of the Thunderbolts.  They're comedic in an underdog kind of way, but there's some seriousness in this story too, especially when it comes to Mr. Immortal's backstory.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: G.L.A. Misassembled  
Jump to: