Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Sin City 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sin City  (Read 18638 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #140 on: August 28, 2005, 07:34:09 AM

I seem to recall Senator Roarke saying that he would release Hartigan to "show his mercy" (Good press for a man of power and all that). So, if that's the case, he had additional motives for doing it (besides wanting to find out who "Cordelia" was). I may be wrong though...
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #141 on: August 28, 2005, 05:14:23 PM

Okay, that explains the release.  Good, I'm glad that part makes sense.

Still don't really buy that they forgot about Nancy, but hey whatever, movie still kicks all kinds of ass.  Hell, I think I'll watch it again tonight.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: September 04, 2005, 12:17:31 AM

I think Roarke had forgotten about the girl as she was just one of many and no one believed her anyway, Hartigan was in jail for raping her despite what she said so they had no reason to kill her.   The son who wanted Nancy was in a coma for who knows how long and when he is finally awake and has his treatment done he personally wants to track down Nancy so he gets his dad to set him free, after he was unable to find her on his own of course.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #143 on: September 04, 2005, 02:32:59 AM

If Roarke's son couldn't find him with all his dad's resources, how come Hartigan found her in, what, a day?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #144 on: September 04, 2005, 06:22:00 AM

If Roarke's son couldn't find him with all his dad's resources, how come Hartigan found her in, what, a day?

He searched her old house and found a matchbook, remember? Haven't you read enough stories or seen enough movies to know that that is how all cops will solve a mystery?  wink

[edit] Oh wait, it's not a mystery. It's just a simple comic that Frank Miller felt like screwing around with to take time off of superhero stories. It's not going to really satisfy on some kind of narrative level, nor was it meant to. It's just Frank mythologizing 20th century American machismo and style. The details on what Hartigan does isn't the "story" so much as who he is. The narrative is just an excuse to put the archetype in action....But it's not the thing itself that we should be focusing on.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 06:41:43 AM by Stray »
Llava
Contributor

Reply #145 on: September 04, 2005, 02:23:22 PM

Yeah, like I said, I still love the film and holes or not I will continue to love the film.  I was just hoping that maybe they really DID explain this better and I hadn't noticed.  Shame about the plot holes, but whatever, it still kicks ass.

WayAbvPar

Reply #146 on: September 06, 2005, 09:38:00 AM

Just watched this over the weekend- I loved it. The visual style allowed it to be very comic book-y without seeming hokey. Plus, seeing Carla Gugino run around naked was a nice bonus. Pity that the rest of the distaff cast didn't follow suit  Love Letters

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Llava
Contributor

Reply #147 on: September 07, 2005, 03:39:41 PM

Okay.  So I might have figured it out.

They didn't give a shit about Nancy in particular.  That's the whole reason.  Junior was in a coma (though only for a bit, notice that Hartigan mentions he's in jail for 8 years and Junior mentions later "They've all screamed.  Every single one.  Dozens, maybe a hundred.  Eight years worth.") and his father probably doesn't give enough of a shit about his son's sick fetishes to actively hunt this girl down so he can fuck and murder her.  By the time Junior's out of the coma, he's consumed with hatred for Hartigan largely- Nancy's just another little girl, and it'd probably be hard to cover up the same girl getting abducted twice when the guy you supposedly nailed for it before is already in jail.

As I mentioned, Junior hates Hartigan.  He wants to fuck with him.  That's why he wants to get this Cordelia- she's his shining ray of hope, and Junior wants to crush that.  So they try to figure it out for a while, but can't, and eventually they come up with the plan to let Hartigan lead them to her.

So it was never about Nancy- that was just an unexpected coincidence for them.  It was all about getting revenge on Hartigan.  That's why they never tracked Nancy down- they didn't care.  And as for Hartigan's release right after his confession, I'm betting Roarke pulled some strings to get him out at that point.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: September 08, 2005, 01:36:54 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but we just printed the Tentative Summer Release List for 2006 at work today:

Sin City 2 is on the list :P

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #149 on: September 08, 2005, 01:44:48 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, but we just printed the Tentative Summer Release List for 2006 at work today:

Sin City 2 is on the list :P

Sounds a little early since they're supposed to start filming in January.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #150 on: September 08, 2005, 02:19:10 PM

I seem to remember hearing something about Sin City itself getting done and pushed out to theaters extremely fast, though.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: September 08, 2005, 02:51:27 PM

It IS a tentative release list, but the release date we had listed was same week as X-Men 3.   I expect it to change though.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #152 on: September 08, 2005, 03:24:26 PM

I seem to remember hearing something about Sin City itself getting done and pushed out to theaters extremely fast, though.

He could shoot a feature script in 2 weeks, if he had to. Despite the qualities of the movies themselves, the guy is just phenomenal. I forgot how long Sin City took, but it wasn't a lot. OUATIM was filmed in four weeks, I think.

After shooting, he finishes mixing, mastering, and scoring at home. Now that he basically has a cast, a crew, a pallete of Sin City scenery already made, and of course, Miller's immediate blessing and the other SC issues to shoot by, he'll probably finish SC2 faster than the first.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Sin City  
Jump to: