Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Sin City 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sin City  (Read 18629 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #105 on: April 06, 2005, 11:45:57 PM

I think the only really "noir" story was Marv's (probably why I liked it best).  The others were more "pulp" with, suprisingly, a bit of a cyberpunk edge without the technology aspect (contradictory I know, but that's just how it felt).

Not a criticism, just an observation.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #106 on: April 07, 2005, 04:17:19 AM

Rourke is just made for noir, he's got the perfect voice for it.

Yeah, but I wonder what happened to his voice. It used be pretty high pitched. His entire physique has changed as well. He looks like he's packed on 100 lbs of muscle in the past 10 years. Then his face, of course:

I actually got to meet him once when I was a kid. I just about idolized the guy. But I've got to say, if I met him now as a kid, I'd probably be a little scared. He looks like he came straight out of a Dick Tracy comic. He isn't any less talented than before, but it's almost like watching an entirely different actor in these newer films. Kind of like the difference with Pacino post Sea of Love.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 04:32:18 AM by Stray »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 07, 2005, 05:34:26 AM

Supposedly he had pretty much switch from acting over to running a club in Miami and doing a lot of semi-pro boxing.  Which certainly explains his change of appearance.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #108 on: April 07, 2005, 01:44:55 PM

Two things I didn't like:

1.  All three stories boil down to the same thing, I found myself wondering if they could have just done one of them and made it a full movie, you would miss out on sticking so many big names in one place but I could have gone for Marv or Hardigan's story as a full movie over seeing the same twisted male hero can't stand to watch women suffer story 3 times.

2.  I can't believe this massive Clive Owen bandwagon, what movie did I miss?  Frankly he rubs me the wrong way but that may be because he got to makeout with Jolie in that one movie in the 3rd world country.  I have always hated Billy Bob due to the Jolie thing...

All in all, it was very different and very enjoyable, Jessica Alba is so incredibly fucking fine I'm always surprised when I see her.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #109 on: April 07, 2005, 01:47:09 PM

2.  I can't believe this massive Clive Owen bandwagon, what movie did I miss?

Croupier.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #110 on: April 07, 2005, 07:10:48 PM

The only part that I didn't like was right at the beginning, after the Josh Hartnett bit. The first part of the Hartigan story. It felt like Willis and Madsen were phoning their parts in, and fell totally flat. It wasn't anything but their performances, which just didn't feel organic. But when Rourke starts talking as Marv, shit, that's the medicine.

I had that same moment of unease, where during that opening conversation I was thinking that this movie wasn't going to be very cool. Fortunately, it was a brief interlude from hard core, jaw-on-floor, well done noir that would soar to - in my opinion - great heights.

Schild: I trust your opinion on QT. Before, I only had a shapeless feeling of unease involving his 'style'. I'd see his movies with friends and just kind of silently have too many issues with too many of his scenes. Then came the Guy Richie films.
schild
Administrator

Reply #111 on: April 07, 2005, 07:17:06 PM

Schild: I trust your opinion on QT. Before, I only had a shapeless feeling of unease involving his 'style'. I'd see his movies with friends and just kind of silently have too many issues with too many of his scenes. Then came the Guy Richie films.

I'll say this for Guy Richie, he's not original but goddamn if he doesn't know how to work a camera. His films are shot beautifully. They're a pure joy to watch. Except for that shitty one with Madonna. That was terrible. But ya, he's an unoriginal slob also.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #112 on: April 07, 2005, 09:44:16 PM

I'll say this for Guy Richie, he's not original but goddamn if he doesn't know how to work a camera. His films are shot beautifully. They're a pure joy to watch. Except for that shitty one with Madonna. That was terrible. But ya, he's an unoriginal slob also.

Best poker scene evar in Lock, Stock
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #113 on: April 07, 2005, 11:35:39 PM

No more mentioning of Quentin.   shocked

Please.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 07, 2005, 11:38:43 PM

No way.  Rounders!

Bruce
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: April 08, 2005, 01:24:17 AM

No way.  Rounders!

Bruce

I thought about it, I really did Bruce.  Ended up coming back to Lock, Stock -- really, watch them back to back.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #116 on: April 08, 2005, 02:30:36 AM

*ahem*

I take it you guys have never seen:

The Cincinnati Kid
The Sting
Anything with Doc Holiday in it
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 08, 2005, 02:56:40 AM

I've seen them, but I wouldn't put those at the top of my list.  Better would be 5 Card Stud, Maverick, and Big Hand For The Little Lady.

Still, Rounders is to poker as The Color of Money is to pool.

Bruce
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #118 on: April 08, 2005, 03:45:56 AM

I've seen them, but I wouldn't put those at the top of my list.  Better would be 5 Card Stud, Maverick, and Big Hand For The Little Lady.

??

Five Card Stud may be called "Five Card Stud", but it barely has any poker in it at all. Wtf? You would have been better off mentioning Vegas Vacation.

Maverick better than the Cincinatti Kid? Okay, now you're just being contrary for the hell of it.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you have me confused.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 08, 2005, 05:27:43 AM

Nah, Rounders in the lodge with all the cops.  Thats probably about the best rendition of a game of poker on film as there has been.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #120 on: April 08, 2005, 08:14:46 AM

Rounders probably does have the best poker on film. That said, I love me some Robert Redford in The Sting. I wish that fucking movie would come out in widescreen so I can replace my crap fullframe dvd.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 08, 2005, 11:13:57 AM

Still, Rounders is to poker as The Color of Money is to pool.

Bruce

I hated Color of Money.  Just because Tom Cruise was very very whiney in it.

Now that's a movie.

Hell, I'd take Poolhall Junkies over The Color of Money as a pool movie.

Walken for teh win.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #122 on: April 08, 2005, 11:15:57 AM

I highly recommend the special edition of "Rounders" on DVD.
schild
Administrator

Reply #123 on: April 08, 2005, 12:21:51 PM

Yes, Poolhall Junkies is the best Pool movie.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 08, 2005, 12:27:30 PM

Yes - but does it have Carla or Jessica?

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #125 on: April 08, 2005, 04:32:20 PM

Yeah, I support Guy being imitative, because Swept Away probably accounts for when he was trying to break away and do his own thing.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #126 on: April 10, 2005, 12:03:01 PM

Back on topic you go....

Two things I didn't like:

1.  All three stories boil down to the same thing, I found myself wondering if they could have just done one of them and made it a full movie, you would miss out on sticking so many big names in one place but I could have gone for Marv or Hardigan's story as a full movie over seeing the same twisted male hero can't stand to watch women suffer story 3 times.

2.  I can't believe this massive Clive Owen bandwagon, what movie did I miss?  Frankly he rubs me the wrong way but that may be because he got to makeout with Jolie in that one movie in the 3rd world country.  I have always hated Billy Bob due to the Jolie thing...

All in all, it was very different and very enjoyable, Jessica Alba is so incredibly fucking fine I'm always surprised when I see her.

1. I totally agree. Maybe not with making it one movie, but fuck me if the heros didnt all seem to be versions of the same guy. Cant watch women suffer, and are ready (trying even) to die to bring the bad guy down.

2. I didnt mind Clive, I think people liked him becasue he was the closest to your steriotype anti hero badass. I REALLY liked the Merv part, I think it was VERY well done. The Clive was probably my least favorite one, but it was also the least dark of the three stories. That could be another reasion why so many people liked it. Deep down, people are suckers for a happy ending.

Jessica Alba was a lot hotter than I thought she would be. She didnt do a half bad job imo. But wow, grayscale really makes Brittney Murphy look hot.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 10, 2005, 09:28:29 PM

But wow, grayscale really makes Brittney Murphy look hot.

She definately looked better then she ever has before.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #128 on: April 11, 2005, 07:30:02 AM

I highly recommend the special edition of "Rounders" on DVD.

I still can't get over the climatic poker game. The whole bit with the tells, ugh. It's like they had to put some blatantly obvious device out there for the audience to pick up on before Damon did. Had the cookies been a red herring, then maybe I'd have liked that scene.

The other scene that bugged me was where he watches the judge's poker game for two minutes and then tells everyone what they are holding. Again, it just felt hollywoodized to me.

It might be the best poker on film, but that doesn't mean it was really a good rendition of poker.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #129 on: April 11, 2005, 09:03:40 AM

The other scene that bugged me was where he watches the judge's poker game for two minutes and then tells everyone what they are holding. Again, it just felt hollywoodized to me.

Funny- the first time I saw it, I thought it was total BS. After playing A LOT of poker and then seeing it again, it seems more plausible to me. He would have to take a leap of faith on one or two of the hands, but an experienced eye could pick up a lot.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #130 on: April 11, 2005, 10:19:09 AM

Somehow, the black and white actually lessensd the cocaine-fueled racoon eyes she normally eyes.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: April 11, 2005, 10:33:46 AM

Somehow, the black and white actually lessensd the cocaine-fueled racoon eyes she normally eyes.

Yes - exactly that. Then again, maybe someone just gave her a sandwich.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #132 on: August 27, 2005, 01:15:43 AM

Arise, chicken!  Arise!

Okay, so I rewatched it after buying the DVD and something occured to me...

SPOILERS

Why couldn't they figure out who Nancy was in the letters?  I mean, I know she signed a different name, but obviously they had her name on file and she went through the whole system and was picked up by the cops at the scene where Hardigan was shot.  Um.  If she ran from the scene I'd understand, but she talks about how she was trying to convince them that she was a virgin.  Soooo... yeah.  How come they didn't make her disappear?  I would think they'd want her a lot more than they'd want some random person writing letters to him.  Confused about that.

Secondly, okay, so they give Hardigan the finger in jail (like, hand a finger to him, not flip him off) and he freaks out thinking it's Nancy's, etc etc.  So he signs the confession and.. they let him out of jail?  A self confessed child rapist and attempted murderer?  They were just holding him until he confessed then it's all cool? Confused there, too. 

Can't be sure if they covered this stuff in it, because I watched it with a friend who won't SHUT THE FUCK UP WHEN WE'RE WATCHING SIN CITY GODDAMNIT!  I'd like to watch it again to see if they cover that stuff, but my brother borrowed it for "a day" which has grown into over a week.  I fear I will never see it again.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #133 on: August 27, 2005, 01:33:51 AM

Signing the confession meant that the public wouldn't have any doubt that the Senator and his son were innocent in the matter. And at that point, Hartigan didn't care about his pride and wanted to save Nancy.

As for the DVD....I'm kind of disappointed. Total lack of features.

I know it's the film itself that matters, but I've come to expect more than just a 15 minute behind the scenes featurette when I buy a DVD. I could have sworn Robert was talking about how the DVD release was going to have all kinds of shit, including an extra segment of Marv (with his mother). No commentary either (and he's one of the guys worth listening to). It doesn't even have a segment of his "10 minute film school" thing....He even does that for Spy Kids. I figured he'd be all gung ho about talking about HD or something for the Sin City DVD.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #134 on: August 27, 2005, 01:35:12 AM

Signing the confession meant that the public wouldn't have any doubt that the Senator and his son were innocent in the matter. And at that point, Hartigan didn't care about his pride and wanted to save Nancy.

Yeah, I get that, but generally when you confess to a crime you serve a sentence for said crime, yes?

Oh and I agree about the DVD.  They couldn't have made it much more obvious by this pitiful release that they're going to do a super special collector's edition with 32 hours of extra footage and commentary.

Fortunately, I don't give much of a shit about that, I just wanted the movie.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 01:45:50 AM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #135 on: August 27, 2005, 01:54:20 AM

Oh...I see what you're asking: Why'd they let him out to lead them to Nancy when they probably already knew where Nancy was?

I don't have an answer. I guess I'll have to watch it again..
schild
Administrator

Reply #136 on: August 27, 2005, 01:56:08 AM

This movie will get an uber special edition.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: August 27, 2005, 03:31:02 PM

Yeah, I get that, but generally when you confess to a crime you serve a sentence for said crime, yes?

Oh and I agree about the DVD.  They couldn't have made it much more obvious by this pitiful release that they're going to do a super special collector's edition with 32 hours of extra footage and commentary.

Fortunately, I don't give much of a shit about that, I just wanted the movie.

Hartigan had already been in jail for 9 years when he signed the confession.  He may have been up for parole. 

Alternatively, the Senator has found out that Nancy is still alive and is trying to find her to tie up loose ends. This explains why the Yellow Bastard is following Hartigan around from the moment he leaves jail.  Torture isn't working,  so they kick Hartigan loose to track down Nancy for them.

I have a bigger problem with his age.  Tried to do the math on it,  and I was left with him in his late 60s leaving prison.  Yet his wife had remarried and had kids?

I wouldn't worry too much about facts or reality in Sin City.  The movie is all about style and theme over reality.  Hell, look at Marv.  He should have been dead a couple dozen times over in his sequence.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #138 on: August 27, 2005, 04:20:37 PM

Hartigan had already been in jail for 9 years when he signed the confession.  He may have been up for parole.

But you generally go to trial after you sign a confession, right?  I got the impression that they were holding him in jail under sketchy legal loopholes, trying to get him to confess, that he wasn't "officially" in there serving a term for child molestation.  But then he admits to the molestation and they set him free?

Alternatively, the Senator has found out that Nancy is still alive and is trying to find her to tie up loose ends. This explains why the Yellow Bastard is following Hartigan around from the moment he leaves jail.  Torture isn't working,  so they kick Hartigan loose to track down Nancy for them.

Okay so... why didn't they quietly kill her ages ago when they framed Hardigan for her molestation/rape?  She went through the official avenues, which the Senator seems to control, as evidenced by her saying that they wouldn't listen to her when she was trying to tell them she was still a virgin.  Also, why would they have lost track of her?  She didn't change her name or anything- the only sneaky thing she did was send letters to Hardigan under a psuedonym.  But they knew who Nancy Callahan was already, so what did she accomplish by signing her letters "Cordelia"?  If Hardigan was able to track her down by her name, why couldn't they (since her name had to be on file)?

Don't get me wrong, I still love the film, but those are some pretty big plot holes.  The first one, okay, I can give them a free pass.  The second one?  That's not stylized reality breaking like Marv's inhuman toughness/strength.  That's a big ol' plot hole.

Assuming that I understand it correctly which, so far, I believe I do.  I'm seriously asking, though, if they maybe covered this and I just missed it.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 28, 2005, 06:23:03 AM

The impression I got was that forcing a confession was meant to be some sort of 'final victory' by the senator, and was somehow an implied condition by the senator for his shamed release back into society.  The fact that he was followed as he tracked down Nancy seems to show however implausible it seems, that after their conversation in the hospital Nancy somehow was forgotten by the authorites and they wanted to know who this 'cordelia' was.  Maybe it was one of the stretching points in the plot but it certainly leads to a dramatic conclusion so it can be forgiven.

The movie has been in the cinema here for a few weeks now in Australia, saw it last week and absolutely loved every part of it.  Best movie I have seen for a long time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Sin City  
Jump to: