Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Andor (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andor (Disney+)  (Read 9616 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: August 01, 2022, 12:15:25 PM

Three episode premiere September 21. Twelve episodes for Season One.

Trailers from newest to oldest:

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOegEuCcfw

Teaser Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UX1Adanis

Sizzle Reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSW-pARyP-M
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 12:28:00 PM

Oh hell yeah. Rogue One is still my favorite of all the new stuff. More of that kind of jam is exactly what I was hoping for.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 05:22:33 PM

Sign me the fuck up. More Saw Gerrera? Fuck. Yeah.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 12:32:09 AM

Yeah, this looks exactly like what I wanted out of this series. The tone looks great.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 06:05:12 PM

Still think Rogue One is kinda crap, and have no interest in a prequel to a prequel featuring a character that has not stuck in my memory at all.

That said, this show is notable for being the first of the D+ Star Wars shows not being shot in the Volume at all.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 08:05:31 PM

This easily looks like the best thing that has come out on Disney +, I hope it lives up to the hype and the cuts we are seeing for trailers.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 01:17:25 AM

Still think Rogue One is kinda crap

Have you tried rewatching it? I did so accidentally and it was better than I ever remembered. I did like it a lot more than you the first time though.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 01:43:47 AM

I really like Rogue One after a rewatch and with the benefit of hindsight as well.

The fact alone that there was not a Jedi or specifically somebody Force Senstivie related to any of the main characters of the original movies improved it tenfold to that "everybody who isn't a Skywalker is a Palpatine" crap they pulled later.

Also more Saw Gerrera played by Forest Whitaker. Yes, thank you.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 06:42:45 AM

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 10:25:33 AM

I'm interested. I think this is going to be the test of whether someone at Disney keeps inserting child-friendly goofy shit where it doesn't belong. If something like the scooter mods show up here, that will be proof enough.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 04:49:52 PM

A lifetime of meditation bought him 15 seconds of Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy blaster resistance. But he spent it when it counted.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 06:28:53 PM

Still think Rogue One is kinda crap

Have you tried rewatching it? I did so accidentally and it was better than I ever remembered. I did like it a lot more than you the first time though.

No, but I'll have to rewatch in within the next month or so because I accidentally got the gf into Star Wars a while back and it's the last one she hasn't seen.

Personally I'd rather just show her Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven and tell her "Rogue One is like this if they didn't make any of the characters worth caring about, opting to coast by on Star Wars imagery instead" but I don't think that's going to fly. I'll grudgingly admit it's better than the low bar the prequel and sequel trilogies set though. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker both released after watching Rogue One, so that alone will probably make me more forgiving on a rewatch.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 06:51:12 PM

Trailer looks great on its own terms. But I'm starting to think they are serious about leaving the main character out of the k2so show...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 07:05:35 PM

Trailer looks great on its own terms. But I'm starting to think they are serious about leaving the main character out of the k2so show...

He won't be part of this season at least.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 06:03:54 PM

A lifetime of meditation bought him 15 seconds of Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy blaster resistance. But he spent it when it counted.

--Dave

Shoulda sunk more points into Blast Resistance.

Fuckin' min/maxers...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 06:53:08 PM

This had a helluva start. First three episodes are now streaming.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 11:05:56 AM

Cassian already has a more interesting backstory than Han Solo and Chewbacca. It was a good call to release the first three episodes together, it's basically a prologue.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:10:43 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 05:53:06 PM

This whole thing screams Tony Gilroy. It’s a Bourne Story set in the Star Wars galaxy.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: September 24, 2022, 09:40:04 AM

I've watched the first two episodes, and frankly, Andor seems to be the kind of rogue Han Solo wanted to be, but couldn't because he had a heart of gold. This show is a helluva lot grittier than anything they've tried to do other than, obviously, Rogue One. I'm here for it.

Of course, I have RL friends who won't watch it because it's too "woke" and is "stuffed full of identity politics." I just roll my eyes because I know they will never, ever not be assholes.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 12:45:50 PM

At this point there are more than a few people who non-ironically identify with the Empire so Rebels, Jedi, victims of the Empire, you name it, all seem "woke".
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 11:53:50 PM

Well, its a considerate way to let you know that they are dumb fucks whose opinion on anything you can safely ignore.

This series is an absolutely pleasant surprise. I didn't think Disney would go in the required gritty direction to make a worthy successor to Rogue One for the small screen. But it really seems they have the balls to do so.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:58:22 PM by Tebonas »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: September 25, 2022, 12:19:54 AM

I'm liking this a lot more than I did Rogue One.  If people hadn't reminded me that this was the Rogue One guy, I honestly would not have made the connection, because I forgot everything from that movie except Donnie Yen doing not nearly enough action scenes, Forest Whitaker doing... something?  and Darth Vader chopping up a bunch of dudes at the end.  Maybe I nodded off partway through.  Anyway, this has been very entertaining.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: September 25, 2022, 01:08:16 PM

It is the best thing Disney has done with the Star Wars property since Mandalorian and, of course, Rogue One. That's because it is not even remotely focusing on any of the legacy characters, nor feeling the need to shoehorn in everything anyone identifies with the original trilogy. I'm sure there will be Jedi somewhere in this, but I'm enjoying not seeing light sabers flapping about everywhere, and a protagonist who isn't infallible and bland.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 26, 2022, 05:33:19 AM

I finally caught up and watched the first  3.

Very very good. Pacing feels pretty good.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: September 27, 2022, 08:06:44 PM

At this point there are more than a few people who non-ironically identify with the Empire so Rebels, Jedi, victims of the Empire, you name it, all seem "woke".

This shit right here. The fact that there's even an infinitesimal amount of people that were all. "Yeah, Palpatine was right" makes me want to kick a bunch of motherfuckers in the dick.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 07:55:00 AM

This is some John Le Carre shit set in Star Wars and it's fucking great.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: September 28, 2022, 08:27:23 AM

it is not even remotely focusing on any of the legacy characters, nor feeling the need to shoehorn in everything anyone identifies with the original trilogy.

The secret to making good Star Wars content is to not stick every other goddamn Star Wars thing into it.

I expect this will eventually go the way of Mando/Boba -- he'll team up with a Jedi, he'll move to Tatooine, and it'll be back to being every other Star Wars thing.  But for now this show is fuckin great.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #27 on: September 28, 2022, 10:10:03 AM

I'm hoping not. They have already said this show is limited to two seasons. The original plan was for season one to show a short time span and season two makes a five year jump and will also have more time jumps between episodes. That should allow for them to add K-2SO, which Tudyk confirmed he is in the series but not season one.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 29, 2022, 07:55:18 AM

This shit right here. The fact that there's even an infinitesimal amount of people that were all. "Yeah, Palpatine was right" makes me want to kick a bunch of motherfuckers in the dick.
I think there is good material to mine here, from Zahn's Allegiance/Choices of One books. Good folks trying to do good things for people inside a shitty system, how far can you go, when does it break, showing how to grapple with that would be of value for people struggling with the changes of modern culture. Actually a Hand of Judgement limited series would be great (sans Luke/Han/etc but maybe with Jade).

This show is great Star Wars, but I'm a huge Rogue One fanboy so that was kind of a given.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: September 29, 2022, 05:42:59 PM

This latest episode did more interesting world building than every single one of the Abrams/Johnson Star Wars sequels. Just concise, clever storytelling with expositions and easter eggs galore. It's just an hour long setup episode and I wanted more.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 29, 2022, 06:15:32 PM

This latest episode did more interesting world building than every single one of the Abrams/Johnson Star Wars sequels. Just concise, clever storytelling with expositions and easter eggs galore. It's just an hour long setup episode and I wanted more.

Yup literally zero action and still the best episode so far.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: October 05, 2022, 08:07:19 PM

This shit keeps getting better.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: October 05, 2022, 08:16:08 PM

The scene with Skeen where they are comparing tattoos was just so perfectly unlike most of the character interactions we see in Star Wars, and I'm here for it. This doesn't look like anything else Star Wars (other than Rogue One) and it's characters feel like they have so much more depth than typical Star Wars too. There's just no comparison between trash like Boba Fett and this.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 11, 2022, 05:21:53 AM

This show is fantastic. I'm just at a loss how this show comes out of the same brain trust as the Boba Fett garbage.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 11, 2022, 08:56:53 AM

The Book of Boba Fett came from the same brain trust as The Mandalorian, more or less. One "less" is that Robert Rodriguez was the co-showrunner along side Jon Favreau. But really it was the writing that suffered in that show, for whatever reason, though I'm assuming it's cause Favreau did not have as much time to devote to Boba Fett as he did The Mandalorian (hence the co-showrunner).

The series creator, showrunner, and primary writer on Andor is Tony Gilroy, who was the co-screenwriter on Rogue One and has a lot of screenwriting experience (e.g. all but the latest Bourne movie).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Andor (Disney+)  
Jump to: