Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Andor (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andor (Disney+)  (Read 9763 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 11, 2022, 11:03:02 AM

Getting stuck with a shitty main character and trying to make an old fat man do action scenes instead of just putting someone capable in the suit ruined that show.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: October 11, 2022, 07:52:43 PM

I hope the Rogue One/Andor team gets solidified for regular projects. Best new era Star Wars by a lot, and I like most of the new stuff overall. But with the RO/A stuff, I don't have to engage the 'it's just pulp entertainment, don't overthink it' circuit in my brain, which is a nice bonus.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 12, 2022, 11:31:34 AM

The imperial officer getting shot by the rebels for trying to get them to release a boy? fuck me that was some good shit. Also I love how there are no Storntroopers in this, even the TIE pilots started with their helmets off.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 12, 2022, 01:24:18 PM

I hope the Rogue One/Andor team gets solidified for regular projects. Best new era Star Wars by a lot, and I like most of the new stuff overall.
They've already committed to a second (and final) season. There was a story that was later retracted that Tony Gilroy signed a "first-look" contract with LucasFilm which included plans for more shows and a movie but I would assume they are still interesting in working together and are in negotiations for something after the 2nd season.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 12, 2022, 03:18:27 PM

I just can't help but shake the sense that Boba Fett went into the shitter mostly it was done on the quick and they actually didn't have any really great ideas for it (resulting in some more obvious and less skillful ripoffs of old films and shows like Lawrence of Arabia). But also I feel like someone involved overall at Disney balked at the possibility of a more amoral tone/storyline that really went deep into the Star Wars underworld, leading to a lot of dumb shit throughout. I also get the feeling that maybe Temuera Morrison was just not up to playing a more dimensional version of the character.

Seems like they understand the creative underpinnings of Rogue One better and have better matches in terms of influences/templates to sustain the series.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 12, 2022, 10:54:26 PM

Personally I thought the ideas and the acting in Boba fett were completely fine.

The writing was (mostly) bad.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #41 on: October 15, 2022, 02:22:53 PM

The problem with The Book Of Boba Fett was that they had a Boba Fett movie they wanted to make, and an extended Mandalorian season 2.5 episode they want to make, and then 4-5 hours of screen time to fill with bullshit.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 15, 2022, 02:29:37 PM

The problem with The Book Of Boba Fett was that they had a Boba Fett movie they wanted to make, and an extended Mandalorian season 2.5 episode they want to make, and then 4-5 hours of screen time to fill with bullshit.

--Dave

I think Boba not making the top ten coolest character list on his own show might have been a problem too.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: October 15, 2022, 09:55:58 PM

I'm more surprised that the production team is letting Andor be an absolutely amoral killer than anything. The ending of the scene with Skeen in the latest episode was refreshingly jarring.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #44 on: October 16, 2022, 12:22:53 AM

They established his older self was like that in Rogue One -- it makes sense his younger self is like that too.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 21, 2022, 03:44:53 AM

Just watched the last episode of this - I think I need to rewatch Rogue One to see where some of these people end up and don't know if there's a second season planned for this but that was a hell of a way to end a season.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 21, 2022, 08:06:17 AM

Mon Mothma's dress was exquisite.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: October 21, 2022, 09:13:11 AM

There is a second season. Won’t be out till 2024, assuming no delays. Filming starts next month and is scheduled to finish August 2023 and then there will be a year of post-production.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 21, 2022, 10:57:45 AM

Is this the first SW show or movie that in no way shape or form caters to children? like I can't imagine kids even enjoying this show.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #49 on: October 21, 2022, 10:58:56 AM

Amazing what you can do with the story rather than having to focus on certain characters.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 21, 2022, 11:21:02 AM

Is this the first SW show or movie that in no way shape or form caters to children? like I can't imagine kids even enjoying this show.
I would say Rogue One wasn't really for kids, which makes sense.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 21, 2022, 11:47:23 AM

It still had space battles and tons of action and even some lightsaber stuff. Edit: also humor, which we have zero of so far here. And yeah I know K-2SO is coming next season.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:54:08 AM by Threash »

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 21, 2022, 12:10:02 PM

Do you also feel She Hulk needed to be raunchier?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 21, 2022, 12:40:11 PM

To be clear, I am not complaining just surprised. I think this show is perfect as is and not catering to children vastly improves any property.

I am the .00000001428%
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 21, 2022, 08:05:20 PM

I'm more surprised that the production team is letting Andor be an absolutely amoral killer than anything. The ending of the scene with Skeen in the latest episode was refreshingly jarring.

My boi Cassian shoots first AND last.  why so serious?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #55 on: October 21, 2022, 09:03:10 PM

Just watched the last episode of this - I think I need to rewatch Rogue One to see where some of these people end up and don't know if there's a second season planned for this but that was a hell of a way to end a season.

Season's not over, you've got five more episodes.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 22, 2022, 01:48:24 AM

I would say Rogue One wasn't really for kids, which makes sense.

Kids is a pretty broad range though. Maybe 6-9 year olds might appreciate star wars but not r1. But I think r1 is much more accessible than it would sound from a plot synopsis.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: October 22, 2022, 10:42:57 AM

It's kind of amazing really. That little 2-3 minute scene between Mon Mothma and the banker did more world-building about what the empire and the rebellion is than the entire 9-movie series. Like, just absolutely pitch perfect, understated writing with good acting. The same goes for the scene where Luthen tells Mothma what's up, time to shit or get off the pot. This show proves just because there is pew pew and starships and silly droids, it doesn't mean the story can't be mature with real stakes for the players involved.

Andor getting all Kafka-ed at the end was a good touch.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 24, 2022, 06:46:30 AM

Hopefully the quality of casting, script, and acting here will elevate the rest of the stuff. Pulpy is fun, but it can be pulpy fun /and/ a lot more. If we hadn't had folks like Ford, Fisher, Guinness, and Cushing, there probably wouldn't have been the level of enduring success for the franchise.

I love that the team got a crack at a show and doubled down on stuff they kind of had to hand-wave in the short-format of movies. I'm enjoying the move to longer format, when the production supports it like this. And stuff like She Hulk/Loki/etc can stretch out and get weird. I do hope they can find a slot for something of this show's quality, but still with a hopeful, charismatic quality of the original trilogy's cast. Still down for that show to be Lando with Glover though  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? And honestly I liked the guy who played Han in Solo. Throw in something based on Zahn's Scoundrels and you've got a good heist-themed series, just go full Oceans on it.

(Threash, I know, I was just being extra last week)
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 25, 2022, 12:39:49 AM

He made the only logical move there. Go with him and he shoots you in the back. Tell the boss and it's your word against his.

He then explained himself. Paid off the doctor for his ride. And left the rebellion with their haul and one fewer traitor in their ranks. The guy is damaged goods, but he is doing the right thing within his broken little world. Bonus points for it also being a great off-ramp from the gig and potential future rebel entanglements. The dude just wants to be left alone.  (Or so he tells himself.)

Also, the yo mamma joke in the first episode was fucking gold. That scene was prefect

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 25, 2022, 03:47:34 PM

So I hear mostly praise for this show but I saw a video that had a title saying Andor was just ok. Would you believe his main complaint was that it's woke?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Anyway can't wait to see the next episode.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #61 on: October 25, 2022, 04:35:58 PM

He made the only logical move there. Go with him and he shoots you in the back. Tell the boss and it's your word against his.

That part. This show flourishes in the gray. He made the least shitty of a host of shitty choices and still ended up with a price on his head.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: October 25, 2022, 05:56:12 PM

So I hear mostly praise for this show but I saw a video that had a title saying Andor was just ok. Would you believe his main complaint was that it's woke?  Ohhhhh, I see.

This is one of the reasons I just don't watch or listen to much critique of Star Wars properties unless I'm already pretty familiar with the person making the critique. Of all the Disney shows to shit on for being too "woke" (and we all know that means having main characters who are not white cis males), Andor is like the last fucking one to get all bent out of shape about. But like most shitty racist incel takes, logic doesn't enter into it at all. I've RL buddies who have refused to watch it because they believe other Internet commentators whose sole take boils down to "It's not white male enough for me" while insisting they aren't racist or misogynist, and I can't even remotely tell them differently without losing my shit. They also say the same shit about She-Hulk, mind you.

These are also the same people who insist that it's Kathleen Kennedy who has destroyed with her social justice warrior/woke/feminist agenda, despite her also being involved with projects like the Mandolorian which they totally dig.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 26, 2022, 04:37:07 AM

I really, really, really don't get the Wokeism complaints about this beyond Disney being one of the IPs that this particular sort of GamerGate dredge have identified as something that is inherently threatening. I mean Andor has still got middle aged white males in all positions of real power and authority. It's got a mix of women, people of colour and white men as protagonists/antagonists. I could maybe see an argument that the senior bad guys are all white men but it's not like there aren't a mix of Imperials and Rebels from all those backgrounds. Fuck, it's not like they're gender or race swapping known  characters (which isn't a problem either beyond being a bit jarring if they're actually meant to be the same person, in the same universe i.e. not a reboot). Anyone who accuses Andor of this is telling you they think that shows need to have white male leads and representation needs to be a minority of background characters are allowed to be women/black/etc.

This show makes the early Empire feel like a real organisation that is starting to bed down and extend its control into everyday life. We are here actually seeing the shift from the co-option of the Galactic Senate and existing Old Republic institutions into the Empire asserting direct control over people's lives. We also get to see the start of the Rebellion and it's believable. The kinds of people who are willing to strike a blow against tyranny and kill if necessary are a mix of idealists, victims and opportunistic criminals. It's gritty in a way that makes it realistic, it's definitely not Space Opera but it is still very much Star Wars.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 26, 2022, 07:20:07 AM

There is nothing to get about wokeism complaints, every single person that has ever used "woke" or "wokeism" unironically is a god damned moron not worth listening to.

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #65 on: October 26, 2022, 12:33:38 PM

I've been stretching my brain trying to think of things and all I can come back with is the hyper-competent woman in the ISB who keeps proving she's better than her male peer.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #66 on: October 26, 2022, 12:55:28 PM

I've been stretching my brain trying to think of things and all I can come back with is the hyper-competent woman in the ISB who keeps proving she's better than her male peer.

It's the new dog whistle for those without a real argument, but somehow want to stir the pot... The trolls are just adding to their lexicon. Anyone using the word 'woke' now-a-days can be dismissed because challenging them will lead to nothing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 26, 2022, 03:42:59 PM

why did you need to stretch your brain at all, wokeism means "it has women and people of color".

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #68 on: October 26, 2022, 04:01:59 PM

I don't think it even means that any more, because I'm sure there are things which contain only white men that are still "woke".  It's come to mean "anything that doesn't cater to my fee-fees in exactly the right way."  You can probably find somebody out there complaining that Fox News is too woke.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #69 on: October 26, 2022, 05:01:09 PM

Just a thought experiment to see if I could find a valid argument there, especially since this show has much less meat for the complainers than something like a She-Hulk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Andor (Disney+)  
Jump to: