Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  (Read 11645 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: May 17, 2022, 03:52:33 PM

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:45:18 PM by Trippy »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 04:01:08 PM

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS Hulk Rock

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 05:45:40 PM

Looks great. I'm so so so glad they're foregrounding the "superhuman law" material, which really made the character work.

I assume we're going to find out in the course of the series why Banner stopped being Professor Hulk, but we'll see...

Also very clear that they're going with "She-Hulk is kind of slutty, but so was Tony Stark, so what's your problem?"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 07:03:51 PM

She looked a bit cartoony, like a buff hot Fiona from Shrek.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 08:09:26 PM

Yeah, the CGI seemed slightly off/cheap.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 12:17:54 AM

I assume we're going to find out in the course of the series why Banner stopped being Professor Hulk, but we'll see...

He's still Professor Hulk in this trailer, and his arm is healed so this seems like it would be after his Shang-Chi appearance.

And yeah, the CGI on She-Hulk doesn't look great. Part of that I chalk up to the budget of a D+ series vs. the budget of a movie, and part of it is that it's probably a bit harder to make She-Hulk work than it is Hulk.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 12:51:18 AM

Tbh I've never felt regular hulk looked all that great. Hulks are probably always going to look cartoony because they are hulks.

But hire Tatiana Maslany to play a hulk and people (guys) are going to be looking more closely.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:26:22 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:54:13 AM

Banner stopped being professor hulk because it was not worth the CGI for a cameo...

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 05:09:02 AM

He's still Professor Hulk in this trailer, and his arm is healed so this seems like it would be after his Shang-Chi appearance.

And yeah, the CGI on She-Hulk doesn't look great. Part of that I chalk up to the budget of a D+ series vs. the budget of a movie, and part of it is that it's probably a bit harder to make She-Hulk work than it is Hulk.

That was my only real complaint with the trailer. Her CGI looked a bit off. I think it was because she has less "texture" than Professor Hulk. Like her skin seems flatter and thus reads more cartoony. I'm hoping they use the next 3 months to improve it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 07:38:15 AM

At 1:23 you can see the motherfucking Frog Man and that is the greatest thing ever put in an MCU property.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 08:46:03 AM

If the bright green monster woman looking unrealistic is the worst thing about this show it's gonna be the best Marvel series to date.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 09:38:49 AM

Wow, that is Frog-Man. That's a great sign in and of itself but also an indicator that they're gonna use one of the best things about Slott's "Superhuman Law" run on She-Hulk, which was all the minor villains hanging around (especially the ones suing super-heroes).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 12:25:18 AM

Tatiana Maslany. She's what you're here for. If the CGI makes her unrecognizable, the show ain't worth watching.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 12:49:42 AM

Tatiana Maslany. She's what you're here for. If the CGI makes her unrecognizable, the show ain't worth watching.

I don’t give two fucks about comic book shit but yeah, if you can’t just paint her green and have Tatiana be believable as two distinctly different characters your writing and direction is terrible. Her work in Orphan black is a god damn masterpiece.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 04:27:18 AM

Looks fun.  I'll watch it on Disney+ next year.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 11:55:36 AM

The line about anger and fear is genius.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 10:30:24 PM

I don’t give two fucks about comic book shit but yeah, if you can’t just paint her green and have Tatiana be believable as two distinctly different characters your writing and direction is terrible. Her work in Orphan black is a god damn masterpiece.

This, this and all of this.  And surely they must know these things.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 05:26:21 AM

I'm pretty good about setting aside technical stuff to enjoy a good show (Rogue One is amazing but the Tarkin scenes are hard to watch because the CGI isn't up to the task), and this looks like it should be good...but that CGI is really bad and I don't know why there seem to be a lot of people making apologies for it. Tatiana can be amazing and the CGI can be shit simultaneously and distract from the performance.

Because I missed most of what was going on in the trailer because the CGI was so shit it was distracting in every scene.

For the record, I was a big fan of Orphan Black and I love the premise of this show and want it to succeed in the most snu snu way possible.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2022, 07:46:08 AM

Apparently the CGI looks a little bit more textured when you watch the trailer on Disney+. Or more accurately, YouTube’s compression made the trailer look worse.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 09:35:43 AM

It may have been updated on Disney+: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a40115405/she-hulk-trailer-cgi-updated/

Marvel appears to have updated the CGI in the recent She-Hulk: Attorney At Law trailer following a backlash from fans.

Debuting last week, the clip showcased a first proper look at Tatiana Maslany's titular superhero, aka Jennifer Walters, as she balances her busy legal career with taking on bad guys.

However, the trailer caused a bit of a backlash online over the quality of its CGI, though it seems that Disney has taken on concerns with a new updated version.

Available on the Disney+ website, the revised version looks somewhat sharper in its quality, with Walters' facial features standing out much clearer.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 09:55:03 AM

It looks fucking great now. She looks like green yvonne strahovski at her peak.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 26, 2022, 10:49:14 AM

Yeah, that is a vast improvement.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 27, 2022, 05:22:36 AM

Yup, still a ways to go before it's /good/ imo, but at least now it doesn't distract (much) from the actual show (which looks good).

I think they upgraded the lighting and lod, but mostly added in warm tones to the skin. Which is honestly kind of weird (hulk green rar), but it worked, so shrugemoji.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2022, 06:19:04 AM

I remember that the thing they seemed to have fixed about the Hulk by the time Avengers rolled around was that first, they did a better job of making him look kind of Ruffalo-ish than the Norton Hulk, who just looked like "generic strong guy", but second, they did something to make the skin seem like skin, if you know what I mean. The Bana Hulk was a visual failure partly because he looked like an amateur job of Photoshopping a color into something--it didn't look like the CGI Hulk's skin. Norton Hulk was closer--he had tendons, some texture to his body and musculature, and the color didn't float above his skin. But it wasn't until Ruffalo that the lighting and textural movement looked right, and even there, you could tell that it took a lot of attention in every scene the Hulk was in to get that right.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: July 26, 2022, 09:45:26 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 27, 2022, 08:22:16 AM

The CGI is a lot better than it was in that teaser and this looks like it'll be great. I almost think Tatiana is wasted in this role as she is such an incredible actress she can do this without breaking a sweat but it's great to see her back and this will get her the attention she deserves.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 18, 2022, 02:54:49 AM

First episode was decent, leaned heavily on Ruffalo and Maslany.

But the script was odd. The lines often don't quite scan. Felt like it just hadn't had enough hours in the writing room.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 10:40:07 PM

Ep one was superhero Fleabag and I'm here for it.

Question becomes, how deep into fourth-wall breaking territory are they going to go? I doubt we'll get Deadpool level of audience awareness, but I wouldn't mind that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 19, 2022, 05:25:01 AM

Ep one was superhero Fleabag and I'm here for it.

Question becomes, how deep into fourth-wall breaking territory are they going to go? I doubt we'll get Deadpool level of audience awareness, but I wouldn't mind that.
The 4th wall break when Bruce caught her breaking it was a great scene.

Cool show, pretty much exactly what I hoped for, tonally. I'd have enjoyed a bit more origin, seems like they pushed through that but at least they did it in an entertaining way.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 19, 2022, 11:42:15 AM

I'm good for not spending too much time on the origin, considering that the comic origin had her spending a bunch of stupid time in a smallish city where her dad was the DA or something like that, my memory is hazy. They're melding a bit of John Byrne's fourth-wall-breaking She-Hulk with Dan Slott's She-Hulk Attorney at Law and I'm down for it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: August 19, 2022, 07:49:52 PM

I would hope they carry the 4th wall stuff all the way through, as the most well-renowned run of her comics was full of it (the Byrne run).

This was great fun (especially the post-credits scene). The CGI was inconsistent but based on the scuttlebutt, it's a problem industrywide. The pandemic forced a lot of productions into overdrive for streaming shit, and EVERYTHING is getting rushed, outsourced and double-outsourced. The MCU people are notorious for making significant post-CGI edits/notes, causing even more crunch time bullshit.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 22, 2022, 12:41:20 PM

The CGI was inconsistent but still better than the early teaser. I found it annoying when the showrunner said the CGI complaining was misogyny. That kind of thing is just facepalm worthy in this kind of circumstance. I'd have much rather she say "We're on a TV budget and our CGI people are also working hard, please give them some time." or something.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to future episodes. I was a bit surprised that the fight in the courtroom happened as it did. I figured that'd be something built up by an ongoing rivalry or something but then again, I'm not familiar with that villain so perhaps that is on brand or something.

One thing I'm seeing from the usual suspects is "oh, Jen Walters is such a Mary Sue!" which is BS but I think it's hard to defend because the show, so far, hasn't given reasons for why she is herself when she changes so quickly and why it all comes natural to her. I enjoyed how it frustrated Bruce and made him jealous but would like to know the reasons behind it personally even if it's just a throwaway "women have to deal with shit all the time, of course I adjusted fast." I suppose that may have been the point of some of the things she said to Bruce about her having to put up with catcalls and such so of course she knows how to handle her anger.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: August 22, 2022, 01:05:00 PM

Based on Bruce's line about something in her genes something something gamma radiation I just figured she has superior genetics and represents a new master race of Hulk ubermenschen.  

"Walters" is a Germanic name meaning roughly "conquering ruler" and "Jennifer" means "fair one" so it fits perfectly.  why so serious?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: August 22, 2022, 03:19:09 PM

One thing I'm seeing from the usual suspects is "oh, Jen Walters is such a Mary Sue!" which is BS but I think it's hard to defend because the show, so far, hasn't given reasons for why she is herself when she changes so quickly and why it all comes natural to her. I enjoyed how it frustrated Bruce and made him jealous but would like to know the reasons behind it personally even if it's just a throwaway "women have to deal with shit all the time, of course I adjusted fast." I suppose that may have been the point of some of the things she said to Bruce about her having to put up with catcalls and such so of course she knows how to handle her anger.
I mean, ultimately, it's sort of bad writing and production on Marvels part.  Bruce Banner suffered as he did for a decade with his condition due to child hood trauma and abuse, which lead him to have repressed anger and spit personality issues.  The Gamma blast and transformation gave his rage a physical form, fully splitting his mind uncontrollably, and he's had to wrestle with it since.  It has nothing to do with genetics.  The fact he seems to have TOTALLY forgotten this (genius that he is) and just thinks she will be exactly like him and wants to recruit her as a hero even though he suffered a lot through it all is a little silly.  Though I guess you can't blame them for wanting to forget the previous Hulk movies happened.  I guess you can also chock it up to him just being 'smart hulk' so a lot weaker, but the fact that car she was driving knocked his ass across the screen was laughable.  They are being very very inconsistent with the power levels here again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: August 22, 2022, 04:04:18 PM

I'm pretty sure the Hulk from Avengers/Ragnarok/etc wouldn't even notice a Jeep crashing into him, never mind get knocked off his feet by it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  
Jump to: