Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  (Read 11747 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 04:36:25 PM

One thing I'm seeing from the usual suspects is "oh, Jen Walters is such a Mary Sue!" which is BS but I think it's hard to defend because the show, so far, hasn't given reasons for why she is herself when she changes so quickly and why it all comes natural to her. I enjoyed how it frustrated Bruce and made him jealous but would like to know the reasons behind it personally even if it's just a throwaway "women have to deal with shit all the time, of course I adjusted fast." I suppose that may have been the point of some of the things she said to Bruce about her having to put up with catcalls and such so of course she knows how to handle her anger.
I mean, ultimately, it's sort of bad writing and production on Marvels part.  Bruce Banner suffered as he did for a decade with his condition due to child hood trauma and abuse, which lead him to have repressed anger and spit personality issues.  The Gamma blast and transformation gave his rage a physical form, fully splitting his mind uncontrollably, and he's had to wrestle with it since.  It has nothing to do with genetics.  The fact he seems to have TOTALLY forgotten this (genius that he is) and just thinks she will be exactly like him and wants to recruit her as a hero even though he suffered a lot through it all is a little silly.  Though I guess you can't blame them for wanting to forget the previous Hulk movies happened.  I guess you can also chock it up to him just being 'smart hulk' so a lot weaker, but the fact that car she was driving knocked his ass across the screen was laughable.  They are being very very inconsistent with the power levels here again.

One of the previous Hulk movies didn't happen. The Edward Norton one is the only MCU Hulk movie and it doesn't really go into Banner's background at all. We don't actually know if this version of the Hulk suffered from childhood trauma and repressed anger.

Also it wasn't technically the impact of the car that knocked him across the screen, he was on the hood and flew off when the jeep turned. Also, comedic effect an all that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: August 23, 2022, 07:25:32 PM

They aren't setting her up as a Mary Sue. Just based on knowing some of the character's history and some cues from the trailer, I'd expect she'll have her own issues to deal with. At one point, she was stuck as She-Hulk for a long time, and even refused to change back because she liked how people saw her as She-Hulk better than Jen Walters. The genetics things was Hulk taking a science/gamma nerd's stab at an explanation when the root may not be physical at all - it's psychological. His transformation happened the way it did because of his baggage and hers will end up being her own baggage.

schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: August 25, 2022, 08:46:00 AM

She-Hulk is great.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 25, 2022, 12:30:11 PM

Yeah, just too short. Between the intro/recap and 8 minutes of credits that was barely 20 minutes.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: August 25, 2022, 02:56:57 PM

Yeah, they're webisodes at best.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 26, 2022, 04:22:11 AM

Putting Tim Roth in things is never a bad plan.

The CGI in this episode was pretty terrible.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 26, 2022, 05:30:05 AM

Putting Tim Roth in things is never a bad plan.

The CGI in this episode was pretty terrible.

Oddly, I thought the CGI was really pretty good especially compared to the early trailers. I noticed on her face especially the CGI looked pretty good. Though I did find myself wondering why they don't put her in makeup and use the CGI purely to enlarge her or something.

Anyway, I will agree that my own complaint with the show so far is it is too short. I'd like to see episodes that are double the length at least but part of that is Tatiana Maslany is such a good actress I want more of her. This show is making me want to do an Orphan Black rewatch.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 26, 2022, 08:24:51 AM

See, I thought the CGI was off now and again too. There were points where it felt a bit more like Roger Rabbit, like she was an animated character walking through the real world. Especially in the first visit to the law office--there was just something kind of weird about her face and head a few times, like they were floating away.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: August 26, 2022, 08:50:59 AM

CGI/compositing is hard and I'm guessing they don't have the time/budget to it the standards that the movies have taught us to expect.

Putting her in makeup would be jarring becauase we've been taught to expect a CGI Hulk.  They can't put Mark Ruffalo in green makeup and have us accept him as the Hulk at this point.  And if they have a CGI Hulk next to a practical She-Hulk, our brains are going to register one or even both as "fake".  Ditto if they do some scenes with her in makeup and some with her as CGI. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 26, 2022, 10:08:48 AM

See, I thought the CGI was off now and again too. There were points where it felt a bit more like Roger Rabbit, like she was an animated character walking through the real world. Especially in the first visit to the law office--there was just something kind of weird about her face and head a few times, like they were floating away.

Hmmm..maybe I just didn't look close enough. In the close up shots it felt like her skin was more "real" than it was in the early trailers. I did notice that in distance shots she looked a little more cartoony at times but it wasn't bad enough to bother me or pull me out of the show.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: August 26, 2022, 02:01:18 PM

I agree with the complaint that it's too short. This is a great concept and casting. I want even more lawyer show out of this and hope it continues past a single season. Maybe my favorite Marvel show, in that it doesn't forget to also be a tv show. Hopefully S2 will be 'hour' long shows with more law stuff/Jen time.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 27, 2022, 01:39:41 AM

It's fun. It's kind of a classic sitcom, which (despite Wandavision) is a new genre for them.

I was interested in the introduction of Pug. Presumably they're not going all-out zany with Andy the Android and some of the other Slott-era cast members, so Pug isn't going to get cock-blocked by Man-Wolf and all that but who knows.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 27, 2022, 04:44:36 PM

While the animation of the hulk body shape isn't quite there on a TV budget, one thing that seems completely fine is the use of CGI in place of green make up.

Makes me wonder if we might see others using more CGI in place of makeup when characters just need to be a silly colour.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 28, 2022, 02:02:46 PM

I'm sure Zoe Saldana would be thrilled by that.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 29, 2022, 06:50:10 AM

Hard disagree on some uncanny valley replacing an actual actor in makeup.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 30, 2022, 08:57:31 AM

So Youtube suggested a Ben Shapiro video. The title was something like "SheHulk is woke garbage!" I literally tried to think of anything that would set off conservatives and the only thing I can think of is some of her "women are angry all the time because of shit men do to us and we learn how to deal with it" comment and how quickly she learned how to Hulk basically. I didn't click on the video because I was afraid Youtube would think I wanted even more suggestions like it but I thought it was funny. I can't imagine getting so worked up over She Hulk and I'm sure he's not the only rightwinger having a temper tantrum about it.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #51 on: August 30, 2022, 09:39:50 AM

I'm sure he doesn't give a fuck, but videos like that get clicks, both from actual manbabies who are mildly upset and want validation, and from normal people who want to see a manbaby having a tantrum.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: August 30, 2022, 09:52:32 AM

All the worst shitheads fucking hate She-Hulk for just that reason (feminism is bad, trying to destroy all symbols of male power, whatever). In addition, if you don't watch out, you'll get Youtube suggestions for the army of shithead nerds who also fucking hate anything that isn't their traditional, white male superhero (or scifi) shit. Those videos appear often around any new MCU and/or Star Wars release because incels gonna incel.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #53 on: August 30, 2022, 11:41:12 AM

You can open it up in a private browsing window or just remove it from your viewing history after watching it if you don't want it to mess up your recommendations.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 30, 2022, 12:36:09 PM

This site is about as toxic as I bother reading on the Internet  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Life's too short for that kind of nonsense.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: August 30, 2022, 01:13:23 PM

Those videos aren't even worth the effort it takes to click on them normally, much less to watch and try to hide from the all-seeing algorithm.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 30, 2022, 02:00:56 PM

The "wokeness" is that it stars a female, that is all.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: August 30, 2022, 03:15:03 PM

There's a pronoun right in the title.  Open your eyes to their agenda, sheeple!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #58 on: August 30, 2022, 08:30:23 PM

I love those videos because I live to troll the incels.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: August 30, 2022, 09:32:21 PM

There's a pronoun right in the title.  Open your eyes to their agenda, sheeple!
they-hulk
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #60 on: August 30, 2022, 09:57:17 PM

You hulk, I hulk, we all hulk for...something something.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 31, 2022, 11:43:03 AM

Honestly, I figured if I clicked on the video it'd raise my blood pressure. Ben Shapiro has a face that just begs for a punch and I'm not even a violent person. I just eyerolled that Youtube had him as a video suggestion of all people. My Youtube history:

A few movie and tv show reactors. I enjoy those particularly married couples and a few women who react to nerdy stuff I enjoy too.
David Pakman, Bryan Taylor Green(I think?).
A couple of channels by atheists and/or skeptics that talk about  whatever nuttery religious people are saying about atheists or whatever
A few gaming related channels that talk about video game news. Purely "this was what Bethesda talked about today" or whatever.
Occasional news clips from CNN or MSNBC

I'm not sure what out of any of that screams "this person wants to see a video by Ben Shapiro" other than David Pakman and the atheists have mentioned his crazy videos a time or two.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: September 01, 2022, 07:26:32 PM

There is unfortunately an intersection between religious denialists who consider themselves intellectual and incels who watch Joe Rogan (otherwise known as Joe Rogan's entire fanbase).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 02, 2022, 05:08:50 AM

Not only was it another great episode, I love how it punched this entire dangling nonsensical sideline of conversation directly in the face.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 02, 2022, 05:23:18 AM

This was a pretty good episode and my only true complaint continues to be that I want more than 20 minutes a week with this character. I'm curious if this episode was also the start of some kind of arc with whoever her nemesis is going to be.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 02, 2022, 06:17:19 AM

This was my favorite episode so far.

I loved that there was no real attempt to make the Wrecking Crew seem dangerous.

I was thinking during the first episode that if getting Hulk blood in you might make you a Hulk if you are genetically close to Bruce Banner, that might make a few people want some Hulk blood. So I'm glad that Chekov gun went off.

The interesting question is who the Wrecking Crew's 'boss' might be. Who could get a hold of some Asgardian tech?

The elf from this episode?
The Enchantress, making her debut?
Sylvie/Loki? (But they seem busy at the moment)
Kang?
The people assembling the Thunderbolts? (I would guess they're just going to recruit Blonsky.)

or

The Leader? (I mean, if you can hire Tim Roth, why not Tim Blake Nelson...)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 02, 2022, 06:41:09 AM

I'd love to see the bossman be Toomes played by Keaton. He fucking crushed that role and it would be perfectly aligned with stealing tech to use for crimes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #67 on: September 02, 2022, 08:23:21 AM

I'd love to see the bossman be Toomes played by Keaton. He fucking crushed that role and it would be perfectly aligned with stealing tech to use for crimes.

He's stuck over in the Venom/Morbius universe at the moment.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 02, 2022, 08:28:04 AM

Stealing Hulk blood seems slightly above range for Toomes' MO but the Wrecking Crew do feel like his schtick otherwise.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #69 on: September 02, 2022, 09:44:32 AM

For a second I thought y'all were talking about the guy from the X-Files.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)  
Jump to: