Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness  (Read 17963 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 15, 2022, 04:44:24 PM

I'm going to say that Ikaris acknowledging someone referencing him as Superman is pretty close to the edge, then.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36 on: February 15, 2022, 04:49:25 PM

I'm going to say that Ikaris acknowledging someone referencing him as Superman is pretty close to the edge, then.

Close? No. He pretty much said "I'm a Superman espy and I don't care. Deal with it or go walk to your car, because it gets worse."

Oh, so much worse.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 15, 2022, 04:59:43 PM

Ikaris (and that whole movie) is about as far as you can get from having a meta sense of fun, at least. Hell, Thor could get closer to doing meta funnies (including acknowledging Superman) in Ragnarok without it being jarring because the basic mood is being funny. Eternals is about as funny as a funeral, so any kind of meta humor doesn't really fit.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 15, 2022, 05:44:29 PM

Kingo and his valet had some funny lines, but overall the movie was far below your standard MCU fare goes as far as humor.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: February 15, 2022, 07:10:14 PM

Referencing your own genre when writing in series fiction is a weird thing. I had to have a real think about it when I was writing my Lovecraft series. In the end, I chose to go with "Lovecraft didn't exist" because being set in the mid-2010's, the minute someone said "Cthulhu" the character would have gone "Oh, shit, it's an Elder God," which would have ruined any of the mystery I had tried to set up. Zombie films/TV shows all trying to come up with new names of zombies without ever saying zombie works once or twice, and then you're just like "just fucking call them zombies, FFS."

Unless you are playing it for funsies, it's not really worth doing more than one-liners about.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 15, 2022, 08:17:19 PM

It's been speculated that we may see the full "Illuminati" group in this one:       
- Exaviour's voice in the trailer.         
- Rumour that the actor they used for Black Bolt in inhumans is in this.             
- Rumour of Tom Cruise as Superior Iron Man.                   
- Likely Cumberbatch as an "alternate universe" Strange in one of the 6 chairs.               

Which just leaves Namor and Reed Richards.   We know FF is coming, and I think the casting has already been decided, so entirely possible Richards shows up.

Someone also joked that if they wanted to really play up some laughs, they should have Chris Evans reprise his role as Human Torch in a cameo, and just have someone randomly compliment his ass.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 15, 2022, 09:04:41 PM

Pretty sure Namor is going to be in the next Black Panther movie.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #42 on: February 17, 2022, 12:44:49 PM

I'm always obsessed by genre universes where they have OUR genre pop culture because the genre characters should recognize and model themselves on the genre culture referents. Like "Oh man we live in a multiverse, Doctor Strange? When do I meet my evil self?" should be the first thing you say.

Marvel's stuff has established that there are DC Comics in the MCU, which is just kind of mind-blowing, because then you'd think that the MCU public would have been going "oh man actual people who are like Batman and Superman" right around the time of the Avengers. (Or someone like Moon Knight would have to deal with people going 'so, what is this? Batman cosplay? you got the costume way wrong, champ').

"I know that it's confusing. It is one thing to question the official story and another thing entirely to make wild accusations or insinuate that I'm a superhero."

So yeah, superheroes are a concept people in the MCU are familiar with going back to the first Iron Man. Also given that Cap was operating publicly during WWII superheroes have been established as a real thing to some degree for a long time in the MCU prior to Iron Man, and Cap himself would probably be inspiration for a number of comics.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 17, 2022, 05:22:43 PM

yeah BUT that's the whole thing, a universe where Captain America in WWII (and HYDRA and the Red Skull and laser weapons etc.) were completely real and verified and reported on, comic books would have had a different history than they did. So like you have Superman and Batman pre-Cap? Sure. Do you have Silver Age superhero comics post-Cap? I cannot bend my head around that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: February 17, 2022, 05:43:14 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 05:54:59 AM

Sam, that's my schtick  awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 07:05:04 AM

There are stories that I enjoy because of all the rich worldbuilding, and then there are stories I enjoy despite the attempt at it.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: May 04, 2022, 11:04:36 AM

This was not the movie I thought it was going to be based on the trailers (and I mean that in a good way, although it's not like I had low expectations or anything).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #48 on: May 04, 2022, 11:53:43 AM

This was not the movie I thought it was going to be based on the trailers (and I mean that in a good way, although it's not like I had low expectations or anything).
That's good to hear, because the trailers don't look like the movie I expected  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

We're in a dilemma because the old lady REALLY wants to see this in IMAX 3D (we saw the first one in that format and she still talks about it). However, we live in the middle of the epicenter of the current wave of covid.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #49 on: May 06, 2022, 07:26:46 AM

This was a lot of fun.  I intentionally knew very little about this going in and didn't realize Sam Raimi was directing.  His style definitely shines in a few places.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 06, 2022, 05:23:32 PM

Well he already does that for every Sam Raimi movie, so it would be a little derivative.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 06, 2022, 08:11:31 PM

Seeing tomorrow morning. Looking forward.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 07, 2022, 12:26:39 PM

It's good!

It's extremely Sam Raimi.

schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: May 07, 2022, 04:58:31 PM

Fuckin hated it.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: May 07, 2022, 08:43:06 PM

Fuckin hated it.

You’re just mad that you rewatched What If for no reason.   why so serious?

Glad I watched it without having anything spoiled, because there were a lot of fun surprises. 

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #55 on: May 07, 2022, 09:04:58 PM

Seeing schild's hatred here and on Discord, my main disappointment now is that they couldn't work in bringing in an alternate universe Tony Stark just to kill him off.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #56 on: May 07, 2022, 09:13:29 PM

Honestly, there was a moment I thought it might happen.  When they introduced “the smartest man in the world” I was expecting Tony, but realized half a second later there was no way they got RDJ to show up for this. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: May 07, 2022, 09:14:10 PM

Reed was absolutely their stand in for stark here.

Fuckin hated it.

You’re just mad that you rewatched What If for no reason.   why so serious?

Glad I watched it without having anything spoiled, because there were a lot of fun surprises.  

I didn't rewatch what if. I narrowed the MCU down to like 7 core movies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: May 07, 2022, 09:14:37 PM

Honestly, there was a moment I thought it might happen.  When they introduced “the smartest man in the world” I was expecting Tony, but realized half a second later there was no way they got RDJ to show up for this. 

I bet they filmed that scene with both Krasinski and Cruise.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: May 07, 2022, 10:00:27 PM

Given what the Illuminati was brought in for in this movie, I'd be surprised if Cruise was ever actually even considered for an appearance there.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 08, 2022, 05:38:15 AM

The illuminati is Strange, Xavier, Reed, Stark, Black Bolt and Namor so if anything the stand ins were captain carter and captain marvel. They could just have had a different stark, frankly anything goes in a movie like this.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 08, 2022, 05:49:33 AM

Fuckin hated it.

This is the first Marvel movie post-Endgame I actually have interest in seeing and it's because Sam Raimi directed it. I figure this is my best chance to ever Bruce Campbell in a Marvel movie. Also, hopefully Sam Raimi's car cameos in it somewhere.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: May 08, 2022, 08:06:20 AM

I wasn't looking for the car cameo, but I bet it's in there since there were plenty of opportunities.

The thing he did that was very him that I think worked especially well in this movie was (spoilers, seriously):

It was cheesy in a lot of ways, yeah, but it was a type of cheese that we don't usually get in this kind of movie and I appreciated that.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 08, 2022, 09:13:59 AM

It's only the second case of "possessed by evil" in the MCU so far.  

Hey I know I like to get tied up in details, but there was one thing that stuck out to me right away.
Also:
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: May 08, 2022, 09:18:43 AM

Also:

Maybe also because it would have been a little too Rick Sanchez for anyone to take seriously.   why so serious?  Maybe there just aren't THAT many universes (hey, they're only numbered with three digits) so there doesn't happen to be one that's quite that perfect for this particular use case.

schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: May 08, 2022, 03:19:33 PM

Fuckin hated it.

This is the first Marvel movie post-Endgame I actually have interest in seeing and it's because Sam Raimi directed it. I figure this is my best chance to ever Bruce Campbell in a Marvel movie. Also, hopefully Sam Raimi's car cameos in it somewhere.

go fanboi out, because it's real trash

I wasn't looking for the car cameo, but I bet it's in there since there were plenty of opportunities.

The thing he did that was very him that I think worked especially well in this movie was (spoilers, seriously):

It was cheesy in a lot of ways, yeah, but it was a type of cheese that we don't usually get in this kind of movie and I appreciated that.
The movie was originally SUPPOSED to be a horror movie.

That might've actually been good since I think Derrickson could've made a Marvel movie. Instead we got not-horror schlock that only felt like Raimi directing MCU fan fiction that somehow has serious ramifications for the MCU.

This wasn't the outcome of What If. It was a fucking 2.5 hour long episode of What If.
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: May 08, 2022, 03:22:01 PM

also man i want to answer khaldun's post but I think he knows the answers (bad writing that would dissolve conflict) and also he just missed the fact mordo hated strange even though it's literally the stinger for dr. strange
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 08, 2022, 05:49:32 PM

I actually think my Rick Sanchez scenario has just as much conflict, it just takes more Monkey's Paw writing.

Mordo honestly doesn't seem to dislike Strange that much in the first film until near the end; what drives him over is not Strange himself, it's the revelation that the Ancient One is only Ancient because they also were cheating with the Time Gem. Which I thought was one of the few neat twists to the classic origin. Sure, he doesn't like Strange's cocksure attitude and he doesn't like how fast he is to master stuff (which also is a good deepening of their incipient rivalry). I'm just interested that they
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 08, 2022, 06:04:34 PM

Mordo honestly doesn't seem to dislike Strange that much in the first film until near the end; what drives him over is not Strange himself, it's the revelation that the Ancient One is only Ancient because they also were cheating with the Time Gem.
If I remember right, it wasn't the time gem, but rather that the Ancient One had been tapping the power of the Dark Dimension after basically explicitly forbidding everyone else from doing so.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 08, 2022, 07:13:20 PM

Ah, that's right. Mordo is first disappointed to find out that the Ancient One has been drawing power from the Dark Dimension (Strange realizes it long before Mordo does) and then he's REALLY pissed when Strange uses the Time Gem.

It's a nice reversal of the comics, actually--Mordo is the one who sees the potential in Strange and argues strongly that he should be taught, Strange is the one who realizes there is more going on, Mordo is not power-mad or evil but instead actually just very stiff-necked. He's more Inspector Javert than Duplicitous Villain.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness  
Jump to: