Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness  (Read 17959 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: December 22, 2021, 08:54:45 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 09:43:02 PM

The nod to What If? In the intro crawl. *shivers*

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 04:47:35 AM

Shuma-Gorath! Though he looks like a monster of the week rather than a nearly-omnipotent extra-dimensional menace.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 09:13:05 AM

What If? is now officially canon, and that's bad.

However, this could be good. I have faith in the movie makers.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 09:40:39 AM

Soon as you bring in a multiverse everything becomes canon.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 09:44:25 AM

No Way Home made all the Sony movies MCU canon, so...

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 09:17:04 PM

However, this could be good. I have faith in the movie makers.

It was always canon. They said it in interviews and pretty much stated we should expect cameos from some of the characters at the very least (they've seemed most interested in doing stuff with Captain Carter).

That said, like you suggest people can take shit characters, stories, concepts, etc... and do good things with them. I wouldn't expect what Raimi is doing in this movie to be anything like the dumbfuckery of What If.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 06:55:42 PM

Shit, I didn't even realize Raimi was doing this one. I thought it was Derrickson.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 03:45:38 PM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 04:48:03 PM

Motherfucking Cybermen?Huh

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 07:28:20 PM

I heard a certain professor's voice there at one point...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 07:31:09 PM

Can't really figure out what Multi-Armed Boy is there at the end though.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 10:26:01 PM

Thought those were Ultron drones?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 11:52:48 PM

I hate to say it, but I'm not looking forward to anything Marvel. After Endgame that was "ok" and Eternals that was horribly terrible, I think I've burnt out. I'm hoping the new Batman is a good DC flick, but it seems like Batman is (usually) all they can do well (ok, Shazam and Aquaman were good films)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 02:19:35 AM

Spiderman Enter the Spider-verse and No Way Home were both very good. I'd say most of the TV series they've put out have been very, very good (Winter Soldier was meh but even that was at least watchable). I'm actually quite excited for what they could do with the Multiverse. Disclaimer: I haven't watched Eternals and am not particularly interested to based on reviews but it sounds like it's the first really big misstep since the Marvel juggernaut properly got going.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 02:53:34 AM

We've been on 'wait for it to be on TV' mode since winter soldier, for us that was the moment the rails became just slightly too visible.

But I'm still looking forward to all of them, just with 'movie to watch on TV' level expectations.

Trailer looks amazing though. I'm fascinated to see how much the film assumes you know what Wanda did in the TV show.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:18:19 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2022, 08:36:17 AM

I hate to say it, but I'm not looking forward to anything Marvel. After Endgame that was "ok" and Eternals that was horribly terrible, I think I've burnt out. I'm hoping the new Batman is a good DC flick, but it seems like Batman is (usually) all they can do well (ok, Shazam and Aquaman were good films)

In general I'm not excited about anything Marvel but Sam Raimi directed this and even his lesser movies are extremely creative and fun to watch. You could say he has his schtick and uses it too much but I enjoy that. Besides, if Sam Raimi is directing that means we're getting a Bruce Campbell cameo at some point. That alone is something I look forward to. I wasn't super impressed by the first Doctor Strange but even putting aside my Raimi fandom this looks like it's going to be a better movie. The script could still let it down though so time will tell.

On the DC front, you left off The Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. Both of those were great films and I'd say The Suicide Squad is easily my favorite DC movie since the Dark Knight.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 04:16:26 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2022, 03:34:49 PM

Thought those were Ultron drones?

Well, yeah. Comic book style Ultrons. They look like goofy ass cybermen though.

I am the .00000001428%
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 14, 2022, 04:29:50 PM

Trailer looks amazing though. I'm fascinated to see how much the film assumes you know what Wanda did in the TV show.
I am not 100% certain that anything Wanda did in the TV series will be super important though, other than "she became the Scarlet Witch".   Like, 90% of what happened in the TV series was basically self contained, aside from a handful of things:
- Wanda expanding her powers by officially becoming "the Scarlet Witch" (which we largely don't actually know what that means in terms of the MCU yet as it basically happened right at the end of the series).                     
- Introducing / Empowering Monica as a new character.               
- Setting up the "Blank Slate Vision" for whatever they may decide to use him for in the future.
- A bit of development for Darcy and the Scooby gang, which we don't know what they will do with going forward.

Outside of that, basically everything that happened in WandaVision was entirely self contained within the series and mostly revolved around character building for Wanda as she worked through her grief over losing Vision.   There wasn't really anything in the series that Wanda "did" that had much of an external effect that I can remember.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 07:35:07 PM

Created children from thin air?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 07:40:49 PM

I think the big thing is that if they really are going all out with the Young Avengers plans, Wanda's fake kids from the series need to become real kids, and if this is the movie where that happens somehow, they're going to need to do at least a bit of exposition on what happened in the series.

But also imagine that you just go to the Marvel movies--the last time you saw her character it was in Endgame; she was furious and despairing about the death of the Vision (not undone by the UnSnap) and fought Thanos and that's the last you know of it. So I think they're at least going to have to do the equivalent of those little yellow caption boxes they used to litter through Marvel Comics and say "As seen in Wandavision #3--Fabulous Friendly Feige, natch" or some such when she first appears. Plus she's going to say she knows something about the Multiverse--we hear that in the trailer--but that's actually kind of a red herring in terms of the actual show that they were using to sucker fans like me into thinking that the Multiverse was already live. In the end, she's really only dealing with the actual Multiverse at the very last moment of the show, when she's trying to research the Darkhold about whether her kids could actually be real somehow.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 09:02:25 PM

Pretty sure the children poofed along with the Hex when she turned everything off at the end of the series.  Same way the "Vision" she had created did.   Far as I remember, the only thing that remained altered by contact with the Hex / Wanda's powers was Monica (and I guess Agatha, but she was a special case to begin with).

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 09:10:55 PM

slamming the quote button before moving on

Shang Chi was fucking great and Marvel hasn't lost a beat. I don't understand this attitude at all. Being burnt out is your problem, not theirs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 09:12:07 PM

yeah dude, the kids were magic
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 11:45:08 PM

Pretty sure the children poofed along with the Hex when she turned everything off at the end of the series.  Same way the "Vision" she had created did.   Far as I remember, the only thing that remained altered by contact with the Hex / Wanda's powers was Monica (and I guess Agatha, but she was a special case to begin with).

The children proofed. But she wasn't accepting that in the credits scene.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 09:29:21 AM

Exactly. I mean, she sounds conversant with the concept of a multiverse in the trailer; that's not based on anything in Wandavision *except* the postcredits despite all the red herrings during the series to the contrary.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 09:54:58 AM

Exactly. I mean, she sounds conversant with the concept of a multiverse in the trailer; that's not based on anything in Wandavision *except* the postcredits despite all the red herrings during the series to the contrary.
Which could easily be a scene in MoM, it's not unprecedented. A mysterious moving light was edited out of that scene after the first week, without explanation.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 01:00:02 PM

she sounds conversant with the concept of a multiverse in the trailer

Anyone who's watched any of the following TV shows:
  • Sliders
  • Rick and Morty
  • Star Trek
  • Red Dwarf
  • Doctor Who

is conversant with the concept of a multiverse.  And we've already established that Wanda grew up watching a lot of old TV.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 15, 2022, 01:18:38 PM

I'm always obsessed by genre universes where they have OUR genre pop culture because the genre characters should recognize and model themselves on the genre culture referents. Like "Oh man we live in a multiverse, Doctor Strange? When do I meet my evil self?" should be the first thing you say.

Marvel's stuff has established that there are DC Comics in the MCU, which is just kind of mind-blowing, because then you'd think that the MCU public would have been going "oh man actual people who are like Batman and Superman" right around the time of the Avengers. (Or someone like Moon Knight would have to deal with people going 'so, what is this? Batman cosplay? you got the costume way wrong, champ').
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #29 on: February 15, 2022, 02:10:51 PM

That's just one of those conceits you need to hand wave away when making genre adaptations to screen.  Despite whatever comic book in jokes or easter eggs you may see, it's obvious in the MCU that the concept of super heroes or anything out of the ordinary wasn't really a thing to the general public until Ironman.  Even Captain America, who they established was a major pop figure in the MCU ever since WW2, was never shown actually having a comic book about him despite showing he had trading cards and just about everything else.  Same reason in almost every zombie movie nobody knows what the fuck a zombie is despite zombies being a major pop culture thing for 70 years now.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 02:20:45 PM

Genre-savvy character meta is hard to do as anything but a joke, and a joke that provokes fridge logic while the buts are still in the seats only works in parody.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 02:20:49 PM

Twitter is arguing whether it's Tom Cruise Iron Man or Maria Rambeau Captain Marvel in the trailer.  why so serious?

Also e-sleuths think Deadpool and Captain Carter make an appearance.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 15, 2022, 02:37:35 PM

Supposedly Ryan Renolds posted a pic of himself in the Deadpool costume in what appears to be a set dressing area with the Dr. Strange costume lead fussing over something in the background behind him, and then promptly deleted it a few minutes later.

There's also a picture floating around of one of the official movie posters where you can clearly see the Cap Carter shield in a shattered reality fragment.

So odds are, the e-sluths is probably correct on both counts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 02:40:20 PM by SurfD »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 15, 2022, 03:14:07 PM

Gonna say that The Princess Bride proves you can do genre-savvy meta super well if you're so inclined.

But the thing is, if you don't want to do genre-savvy meta, don't have your superheroes mention comic-books and Star Wars, because it raises All Kinds of Questions. The only person to answer them seriously ever was Alan Moore with the pirate comics in Watchmen.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 15, 2022, 03:44:22 PM

Gonna say that The Princess Bride proves you can do genre-savvy meta super well if you're so inclined.

But the thing is, if you don't want to do genre-savvy meta, don't have your superheroes mention comic-books and Star Wars, because it raises All Kinds of Questions. The only person to answer them seriously ever was Alan Moore with the pirate comics in Watchmen.

Well, Deadpool can go as meta as you want, because it's his shtick, he doesn't even take his own character seriously. But if Thor suddenly starts directly referencing his comic book versions as anything but a coincidental Easter egg (the "umbrella"), his whole premise falls apart.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness  
Jump to: