Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:00:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Hawkeye (Disney+) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hawkeye (Disney+)  (Read 6122 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: September 13, 2021, 10:40:06 AM

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYb3B1ETlk

Debuts November 24, 2021.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 11:18:57 AM

Nice trailer.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:29:40 PM

I was thinking at the start oh no they're going to go grimdark and be all "Hawkeye must PAY for his dark acts" and then the tone shifted abruptly. Feels as if they're going to try to borrow some of Fraction and Aja's great Hawkeye limited series.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 07:21:30 PM

Track suit Draculas! Hell yes.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:23:43 AM

I was thinking at the start oh no they're going to go grimdark and be all "Hawkeye must PAY for his dark acts" and then the tone shifted abruptly. Feels as if they're going to try to borrow some of Fraction and Aja's great Hawkeye limited series.

Yeah, by the end of the trailer this didn't seem anything like movie Hawkeye. But that is completely fine as movie Hawkeye is really dull and Fraction/Aja Hawkeye is good.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 06:36:45 AM

Yeah, by the end of the trailer this didn't seem anything like movie Hawkeye. But that is completely fine as movie Hawkeye is really dull and Fraction/Aja Hawkeye is good.
So much so that I really wish they hadn't cast Remmer in it. I get strong Spacey vibes from that goober.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 08:26:19 AM

His dark acts amounted to nothing worse than what Tony did for fun the moment he built his suit.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:03:22 PM

I mean, if the world's governments kind of fade away after half the population dies suddenly and there are no more borders or anything, I'm pretty good with one man deciding to ninja-murder thousands of organized criminals who might otherwise seize power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 12:10:25 AM

The only context we got for his murder spree, is that he had an edgy hairstyle and ScarJo frowned at him before we moved on to more interesting avengers.

From that we know it was bad.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 12:49:32 AM

Rhodes also mentioned that the aftermath left behind from Hawkeye's attacks was maybe a little more gruesome than even people used to this kind of stuff would expect. But yeah, I would imagine a high ranking SHIELD agent like Clint has had to kill people before. If I had to read between the lines I would guess that any sense of guilt would be because he was just killing people as a way to direct his depression and anger at losing his family rather than actually doing it out of any sense of justice. If the Punisher's family came back after 5 years of being dead it might be a little awkward trying to settle back into family life for him also.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 10:14:06 AM

My only feelings toward the trailer/show announcement is...about damn time  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 02:07:52 AM

Watched the first one. Pretty good.

Kate is great and I can completely see her playing off of Jeremy Renner. Been a long time since I remember a new main character landing so well.

Also, Lucky!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 11:01:47 AM

The first episode was exactly what I wanted from a show like this. I only hope it continues to deliver. The Rogers the Musical scenes were fucking great, and Track Suit Draculas were on point.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 04:57:15 PM

The first two episodes were better than F&WS, but so are most soap commercials. Still seems kinda slow, and Obvious Bad Guy stepdad is chewing the scenery terribly.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 05:37:45 PM

Didn’t want to like this because I think Hailee Steinfeld is overexposed.

This is good though and she’s good in it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 07:07:10 PM

Didn’t want to like this because I think Hailee Steinfeld is overexposed.

This is good though and she’s good in it.

I find it baffling to consider her overexposed. The majority of what she does is voicework. Aside from playing Emily Dickinson in an Apple TV series I just found out exists, the last starring role she had in anything live action as far as I can tell was in Bumblebee back in 2018.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 07:09:53 PM

She rolls with Taylor Swift and dropped an album, among other things.

Maybe I just spend too much time with zoomers.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: November 28, 2021, 08:17:55 PM

I've never been exposed to any of her music, so maybe that's the disconnect for me. I've generally liked her as an actress through.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 03:33:07 AM

I had never heard of her before this thing.

Probably says more about me than her, but nonetheless.

Obvious Bad Guy stepdad is chewing the scenery terribly.

I had Mum down as main bad guy.

Mainly because we have a 15 month old and 5 year old in the house so always have subtitles just left on, and the super suspicious chat with the soon to be dead guy makes her look a lot worse if you catch every line when they start out barely audible.  

That, and she runs a private security company ffs. Also do you really hire Vera Farmiga to play generic Mum?

On a related note, you should watch this with subtitles on, the tracksuit bros also get some good lines I couldn't hear at all without subtitles.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:45:51 AM by eldaec »

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 04:52:44 AM

This was fun and I'm kind of enjoying the new MCU TV shows being really good and fitting in with the MCU better than the Netflix ones. I'd say they've been far more consistent so far but without any of the real quality highs of Daredevil or Jessica Jones' best moments (I don't think anything has been as bad as Iron Fist so far).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 09:56:35 AM

First two episodes are fun.

I have Mom down as the ultimate bad guy. In fact, I kind of suspect she's going to introduce the MCU's version of the Maggia--they're starting to build up the street-level parts of the MCU now, first Madripoor and now this. (Maybe the rumor about Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock coming to stay for good in the MCU is true.)

If Mom is Maggia, then she might be  who has become a signature enemy for Kate Bishop in the comics.

Stepdad seems to be a version of the Swordsman.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 29, 2021, 10:13:35 AM

I kind of agree that mom as the big bad for Kate makes sense. The step dad is a bit too obvious, mom has been set up as the hard eyed realist who's willing to do unpleasant but necessary things (selling the apartment at the beginning). Also fits with dead daddy warbucks seeming to want to discourage their marriage and winding up dead shortly thereafter. The overt clues all pointing towards the Stepdad make it a solid, if predictable, twist. Although honestly if I wasn't reading threads like this and thinking much about it there's a good chance I'd have stuck to 'something seems weird about the mum but I guess I'll just continue enjoying Kate tracking down her evil step dad'.

Edit: I should add as well, it occurred to me that I really appreciate the portrayal of Hawkeye's relationship with his wife. She's clearly not trying to be validated by showing she's also a hard ass who can fight bad guys but they're very much a partnership where she's able to provide support and shares in the work side of his life. It's kind of refreshing to have a super hero who isn't leading a double life and also not just trying to shield his family from his activities.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:16:40 AM by NowhereMan »

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 02:57:19 PM

That wife thing is a good point, I was half expecting unnecessary tension, but instead they managed to show it as a grown up relationship at the same time as using it to pitch the tracksuits at exactly the right level. Much more so than the equivalent scenes in avengers 2, where she came across as a trite aphorism generator.

Also,

Watching the intro a second time with my wife I really noticed how good the kid playing young Kate was. She completely comes across as a younger version of the person you meet later and treads great balance between scared kid and future hero. And her lines are pitched perfectly for her age - which isn't typical of kids on TV shows.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 08:55:14 AM

Episode 3’s new character intro was amazing.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 09:13:08 AM

Seen a lot of people say that.

And I liked what it did to give the tracksuits identity and what it did for clint. And I liked the dad.

But felt like it was going on for a really long time given we never quite connect in a sympathetic way with echo.

The action was great throughout though.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 10:40:58 AM

The surprise of this show for me has been that I like Hawkeye as a character much more now than I did in the movies.  I was expecting another Falcon and the Winter Soldier and this is so, so much more engaging.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 11:21:46 AM

Seen a lot of people say that.

And I liked what it did to give the tracksuits identity and what it did for clint. And I liked the dad.

But felt like it was going on for a really long time given we never quite connect in a sympathetic way with echo.

The action was great throughout though.

The Dad was Zahn McLarnon who’s been pretty memorable in everything I’ve seen him in. When I figured out she was Echo, I had an instant sad because I knew what was going to happen.

That said, I’m excited about the prospects of

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:35 AM

I mean,  kind of already did enter it in this episode, it's just a question of when it becomes explicit and if it's  when we see more than a hand, a sign or a reference.

They're balancing humor and intensity really well so far.

Pretty sure that the next episode is going to open with finding out Jack and Clint know each other really well from their SHIELD days. Or maybe even from before SHIELD, since we've never really heard the story of how a SHIELD agent developed a strong affinity for archery, not exactly the normal outcome of secret agent training.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 05:01:18 AM

I'm doubtful Kingpin will turn up in this show.

I could see him as a post credits thing to set up the Echo show maybe.

There are only three episodes left, they still have too much to do with Kate, and her key relationships.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 05:22:06 AM

Fun show so far. Not sure anything is really happening. But I guess this is just an elaborate backstory.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 08:38:33 PM

The rumors are that we get an Echo show which serves as the 4th season of Daredevil with Charlie Cox and the whole cast coming back. I hadn't thought about

as Jack's real identity but it makes perfect sense. Khal, I think you have the Mama picked perfectly. That's who I expect her to be at least. Tracksuit bros are just great - I fucking loved them so much in the comics and was wondering how they'd integrate them into the TV shows and they have been pitch perfect.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2021, 11:25:51 PM

50% yawn
50% ok this works

I can see why there is radio silence about this show, nearly went 3 weeks without realizing its premiered.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 11:00:16 AM

Episode 3’s new character intro was amazing.
I was feeling Clint keenly in this episode, my hearing loss isn't that bad but it is bad enough that it hit hard and set up that new character really well.

This is outstanding and makes me happy that the shows continue to be good, even if the movies kinda stink lately.

Agree with Haem about the bros, one thing that I enjoy in my comics-derived movie/show is a strong panel aesthetic, where you get a split second of storyboard/comic panel. The bros translated straight off the page in some scenes. The comic run they're using was one of my favorites when I dipped back in a while ago, so I think that's really helping me dig the show. I even like Renner for the most part, which is kind of amazing. I think his character works better in the longer format and less overshadowed by gods and superheroes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 11:40:59 AM

I agree on the visual styling but I wish they'd credit Aja somewhere prominently--*particularly* for the credit sequence.

Doesn't look like my guess on Jack and Clint was right.

But I am wondering now whose cover would be blown by the watch and why.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 02:43:04 PM

I agree on the visual styling but I wish they'd credit Aja somewhere prominently--*particularly* for the credit sequence.

Doesn't look like my guess on Jack and Clint was right.

But I am wondering now whose cover would be blown by the watch and why.

I'm not going to put it in a spoiler because it's purely a guess; but I wager the watch belongs to his wife; she's likely an ex-Shield agent (perhaps Mockingbird, as I've seen some guess).

I'm enjoying the show, personally. It's not great, but enjoyable. Not liking Kate a ton, but that's less due to the actress and more the character type just not to my liking. Don't hate her or anything; just don't care for her.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Hawkeye (Disney+)  
Jump to: