Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Matrix Resurrections 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Matrix Resurrections  (Read 8985 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: September 09, 2021, 11:05:45 AM

The Matrix Resurrections in theaters and on HBO Max December 22 2021.

Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Looks great, will probably pay to watch in a theater instead of watching at home.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 03:51:31 PM

Have fun. I don't anticipate being in a theatre until this pandemic is mostly over. I don't have much faith in my fellow man, and I'm not going while it's still crowded. Dunno how I'll be able to resist it just sitting there on HBOMax.

Still, looks flashy. I'm sold.

-Rasix
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 04:42:10 PM

Just cough a lot, it'll clear a space around ya.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 08:01:16 PM

Hm. Count me a skeptic. I think they messed up the basic idea in the two sequels; I'm not sure they can dig it out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 01:30:06 AM

I can't help noticing that every shot in that trailer looks like it is referencing the original film rather than trying anything new.

Only now the special effects look unremarkable.

If it gets good word of mouth I'll sit through it on TV but certainly not bothering with the cinema.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 09:16:21 AM

Just cough a lot, it'll clear a space around ya.

I've watched black widow and shang chi so far in theaters and there was plenty of empty space at both, this one i assume will be even emptier since its on TV. Plus I'm not an idiot so I'm fully vaxxed.

I am the .00000001428%
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 10:53:41 AM

I cant help myself when it comes to the matrix, so I will go see it. My gut instinct says it will be good, but not great.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:08:26 AM by Korachia »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 10:56:34 AM

I cant help myself when it comes to the matrix, so I will go see it. My gut instinct says it will good, but not great.

I think it may be a warning sign that only one of the Wachowksis is directly involved. I suspect the other one basically said "ugh, I want to do something new..."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 03:24:36 PM

They HAVE been doing lots of different "something new" for a decade now. The fact that people cant remember shows how successful their "something new" has been.

Personally, I think the original Matrix was a fluke and accidentally good. They had plenty of chances since to prove me wrong, and they haven't.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:26:29 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:00 PM

Everything they've done after the original Matrix has been mediocre at best. This one looks decent and I'm glad to see that they went with a more modern visual tone rather than the colder tones of the originals. Since it's on HBO Max, that's where I'll be watching it.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 06:19:12 PM

I'm always that guy, but.

This looks like low rent nostalgic shit.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 07:13:33 PM

Yea I'm not gonna pretend to be excited for this. I disagree with Haemish about the visuals, and prefer the cold, black look of the original. I barely remember the two (entirely unnecessary) sequels other than the iconic fight scenes, despite loving the original, so I guess I'll need to rewatch them if this turns out to actually be good. HBO means free at least, so there's that.

It's weird that they recast Morpheus, but not Neo and Trinity. A new story with all new characters would be more interesting to me than this, but if you're going to keep some of the cast you ought to keep the whole cast. As far as I can tell, Lawrence Fishburne was not even offered the role of Morpheus so this is deliberate and not the result of some off-screen difficulties (which would be tragic but at least understandable).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 12:14:27 AM

On the lack of Morpheus: I saw an article saying that in 'Enter the Matrix' (long gone MMO), there was a story arc where the new big bad of an expansion killed Morpheus.  And the Wachowskis said everything in the game was cannon, soooooo ... yeah.

There ware also hints that real world Morpheus had somehow survived his Matrix assassination, in case they needed to walk that back at some point.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 01:57:43 AM

Everything they've done after the original Matrix has been mediocre at best. This one looks decent and I'm glad to see that they went with a more modern visual tone rather than the colder tones of the originals. Since it's on HBO Max, that's where I'll be watching it.

I actually really liked Speed Racer but didn't particularly care for anything else they've done.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 08:04:03 AM

I actually really liked Speed Racer but didn't particularly care for anything else they've done.

It might just have been the rock bottom expectations but I enjoyed Speed Racer a lot more than I thought I would.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 08:33:15 AM

Cloud Atlas is better than Speed Racer.

And Bound is better than the Matrix.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 08:52:33 AM

I liked Sense8 well enough... it was kinda batshit, but also fun. Haven't watched season 2 though, maybe it goes to shit there (and/or everything ends in a massive orgy  awesome, for real)

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 06:28:12 AM

I'm always that guy, but.

This looks like low rent nostalgic shit.
I'll take it further. Living through this 90s nostalgia shit is veeeery similar to living through the 60s nostalgia shit (except with worse everything).

Nüboomerz.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 09:06:36 AM

Living through this 90s nostalgia shit is veeeery similar to living through the 60s nostalgia shit (except with worse everything).

Sorry fella, the 60s nostalgia had nothing that even raised a finger to Hackers.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 10:40:21 AM

Matrix was 1999 so we're on the cusp of 2000's nostalgia, really.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 11:20:24 AM

Hackers isn't 90s nostalgia, it was made in the actual 90s.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 11:48:41 AM

Personally? Singles is my 90s touchstone.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 11:09:42 PM

Hackers has a great soundtrack.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 11:14:32 PM

If you had said Swingers I might have been on board. That movie is so fucking money.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 02:24:27 PM

If you had said Swingers I might have been on board. That movie is so fucking money.

Definitely - in fact Hackers, Swingers, and Singles might put me in a nostalgia coma for the weekend. These are invariably linked to my undergrad years which was a definitive high water mark for me. Matrix came out while I was in grad school and my life had a much different tone at that point.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 06:23:45 PM

On the lack of Morpheus: I saw an article saying that in 'Enter the Matrix' (long gone MMO), there was a story arc where the new big bad of an expansion killed Morpheus.  And the Wachowskis said everything in the game was cannon, soooooo ... yeah.

There ware also hints that real world Morpheus had somehow survived his Matrix assassination, in case they needed to walk that back at some point.

Was there when it happened, Morpheus definitely ate it. That said, we never knew what the final outcome was.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 07:31:09 AM

I'm not excited for this. My wife was an extra in Matrix 2 and 3, and she's not been invited back. Also, it looks like a thin tribute to the original.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 02:58:33 PM

I'm getting real The Force Awakens vibe from this.  Happy to be proven wrong.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 05:02:00 PM

I'm not excited for this. My wife was an extra in Matrix 2 and 3, and she's not been invited back. Also, it looks like a thin tribute to the original.

*I'd like to inquire more*
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 06:49:05 PM

*I'd like to inquire more*

The Matrix trilogy was filmed here in Sydney (I still don't know I'm in a vat created by an advanced AI). There's a scene where Neo gets out of a car near my old work. My wife is of African appearance and that's rare in Australia because 1) we enslaved Pacific Islanders instead, and 2) we had actual whites-only immigration until the 1970s. African-looking extras were sought out to make The Matrix's ethnic mix look American. She's somewhere in the crowd scenes. Joking about not being invited back - I don't think the new one was filmed here.

Looks like a series of re-enacted scenes masquerading as a plot. Hope I'm wrong about that.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 12:12:39 PM

New trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpvWBuTfrc

I have two major theories about this movie. I'll spoiler just in case though odds are I'm wrong:

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: December 07, 2021, 01:52:57 PM

Yes the latest trailer implies your #2. #1 may or may not be required.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #33 on: December 07, 2021, 03:46:42 PM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 08:40:15 AM

If they are replacing the one it's going to be with someone young enough to carry the franchise forward...

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Matrix Resurrections  
Jump to: