Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Steam Deck (Valve handheld PC gaming device) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Deck (Valve handheld PC gaming device)  (Read 20942 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #105 on: June 30, 2022, 11:19:25 AM

I've got a golden ticket!

Forget what I said about the Steam sale lol
Nice!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #106 on: July 01, 2022, 05:39:29 AM

In Half-Life 2, for example, there’s a wild layout that lets you touch the top of the right control stick to turn on gyro aiming, tilting the system to move your reticle with far more accuracy than a joystick alone. That’s something you can turn on for any game with a few taps on the Deck.
Niiice...I'm not too likely to play many shooters on the Deck, but I really really liked the gyro aiming in Days Gone on PS4. Even playing RDR2 now, I keep wanting to pull the controller up when I lock on, to get a headshot (sure, I can flick the stick and do, but it doesn't feel as natural).

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/30/23188574/steam-deck-button-customization-software
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 06, 2022, 06:50:31 AM

First impressions. Ran through a bunch of titles to see how it handles various genres and control schemes. Not too bad, given the restrictions and the games I'm throwing at it (I mean...Civ V on a controller?).

First off I streamed Madden off the PC, a bit too much latency, the run game in particular got pretty loose. I also streamed Wreckfest and it felt a bit loose, too. I may have missed some settings for that as it was also a wonky low res. Put on Dead Cells and while I haven't played in a while and the button layout was a bit unfamiliar, I had last played in the room just before Conjunctivitis and was able to kill him in one try (for the first time on the pc version, I played on PS). So I had to clearly call that one a win (though I had my OP loadout, lightning whip/frost blast and traps/turret). I put Wreckfest directly on the Deck and it performed much better and looks really nice (if a bit aliased) and got rid of most of the looseness (have to get used to the new sticks). Speaking of sticks, I really want to through PGA 2k21 on it but RIP right stick if I did.

The weight of the device isn't bad except that having it in my lap makes it hard to see detail in the screen, forget small text at that distance, I'm over goddamned 50, kids. I have microscopic close vision, so 18"ish from the eyes is great (so this whole paragraph is a ymmv thing). The weight is enough at that angle that adjustments to grip are awkward to make, definitely 'I'm going to die if this happens during a game', something I've never thought while using a traditional controller. Due to the screen in the middle of the controller, that angle is also very different from how I hold a controller (thumbs almost parallel to ground), so L1/R1 a bit tough to reach consistently. The thumbsticks also seem to have a lot of dead zone in games I can't adjust for that (State of Decay), but I haven't dug into the various system settings very deeply yet. And still I was able to play the game just fine and it looked great, well worth the trade-offs.

While I'm bummed it's not perfect...that's exactly what that con list is: a wishlist for perfection. In reality, it's exactly what it says on the tin. My primary pc gaming library in a handheld. Fucking amazing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #108 on: July 06, 2022, 08:40:11 AM

It's probably the single best piece of tech I've ever used.

I'm basically gaming exclusively on it except for D2R at this point.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #109 on: July 06, 2022, 12:45:37 PM

The thumbsticks also seem to have a lot of dead zone in games I can't adjust for that (State of Decay), but I haven't dug into the various system settings very deeply yet. And still I was able to play the game just fine and it looked great, well worth the trade-offs.
Update your firmware, if there's an update pending. There was a firmware issue with the right stick dead zone on release. Otherwise you can try calibrating:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Calibrate+Steam+Deck+Thumbsticks/150415
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 07, 2022, 06:51:43 AM

Update your firmware, if there's an update pending. There was a firmware issue with the right stick dead zone on release. Otherwise you can try calibrating:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Calibrate+Steam+Deck+Thumbsticks/150415

I found the setting and removed the deadzones from both sticks and it was a bit better but I was also doing it while playing GTA 4 which was pretty aggressive about re-engaging the follow cam :D

edit: TIL where the per-game config is hiding: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-customize-controls-on-the-steam-deck/

The deadzone adjustment in the main settings menu is universal.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 09:47:23 AM by Sky »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #111 on: July 29, 2022, 11:55:57 AM

Do we have anybody here still waiting on their reservation? If so check your (hopefully) updated availability window.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3413183219974913051

Hello! We're excited to announce that we're going to be able to fulfill demand sooner than we had estimated for everyone in the reservation queue. Many of the supply chain shortfalls that affect Steam Deck are gradually clearing up, and we're continuing to ramp production, so we're able to produce more Decks faster than ever before.

As of today we've updated the reservation windows, and everyone who's currently in the reservation queue will get their Steam Deck email this year. Many customers who were in the "Q4 or later" window have been bumped up to "Q3 (July-September)" window. And everyone else is now solidly in the "Q4 (October-December)" window.

As of this moment, new reservations will be in the Q4 bucket, but if these queues fill up it will flip over into the following quarter. To see your reservation window, visit this site while logged in.

We're happy we'll be able to get Steam Decks into your hands faster than we had estimated. It has been great to see all the positive feedback, impressions, and amazing things you all have already been doing with your Steam Decks. We can't wait to see even more in the coming months.

That's it for today, more news soon.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 29, 2022, 08:27:19 PM

Mine's still showing Q4, but I was really late to the party. At least now I can hope that's real.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 29, 2022, 12:21:25 PM

I've decided I have almost no use case scenario for this device. The short gaming sessions I thought would be perfect just don't happen. I'd rather just play games on the big screen.

cry
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #114 on: September 29, 2022, 12:23:20 PM

I've decided I have almost no use case scenario for this device. The short gaming sessions I thought would be perfect just don't happen. I'd rather just play games on the big screen.

cry

Have you tried throwing out your back so playing games on the big screen is less comfortable?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 29, 2022, 12:35:46 PM

Finally got mine, and with Emudeck it is the perfect console emulation machine I always wanted. I don't know how they did it, but it feels lighter in the hand than my Switch despite being way more heavy. It eats power like mad though, so i don't know how one can use this on the road.

This will defintely be my couch console from now on and my Desktop PC will still get all the mouse/keyboard action.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 29, 2022, 12:41:31 PM

I last used a pc on a desktop in 2002. Also, not sure how laying near prone in my recliner could be more comfortable  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? I only tend to game when the old lady's not around, I thought maybe I would use it a bit while she was there (single screen, if she's using the big tv I could game on the Deck), but it turns out when she's there I don't like tuning her out like that.

Re; eating power: this is actually a problem. I was keeping it next to my bed and every time I picked it up the battery was run down too far to game on it. Turning it off meant more time from impulse-to-game. I guess I could leave it with wifi off?

Just not a device for me, considering selling it (as much as I hate dealing with selling shit online).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #117 on: September 29, 2022, 01:08:03 PM

cry
Have you tried throwing out your back so playing games on the big screen is less comfortable?
Unlike the Switch, the Steam Deck is way too big and heavy to hold and play on while lying on your back for any reasonable length of time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 29, 2022, 01:11:03 PM

And I'm in the f13 geriatrics club. When I play it in my recliner, it's too far to see with unaided vision, but sits too low to be in the focal length of my transitional lenses  why so serious? Get off my lawn! Ironically, playing while lying on my back in bed is the best way I've enjoyed it...until one of my hands falls asleep.

Not bagging much on the actual device itself, it's amazing. It's a me thing.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 29, 2022, 06:31:37 PM

I got mine this week. Came down with some kind of sickness that isn't Covid and have otherwise been busy with work, so I haven't really had time to use it much. Feels good though.

Where/how do you get things other than Steam games on it? Emulators, etc.

schild
Administrator

Reply #120 on: September 29, 2022, 06:42:59 PM

cry
Unlike the Switch, the Steam Deck is way too big and heavy to hold and play on while lying on your back for any reasonable length of time.

this is how i play all the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #121 on: September 29, 2022, 06:54:37 PM

I got mine this week. Came down with some kind of sickness that isn't Covid and have otherwise been busy with work, so I haven't really had time to use it much. Feels good though.

Where/how do you get things other than Steam games on it? Emulators, etc.
For emulators the starting place is EmuDeck. You'll need to switch to Desktop mode, download the installer through a browser (Firefox is installed by default) and run through the installation steps.

This site has a more detailed install guide than the EmuDeck site though I can't vouch for the accuracy: https://www.gamersdirector.com/steam/how-to-install-emulators-on-steam-deck/

I find Desktop mode a bit tricky to use in handheld mode because controlling the mouse and clicking on buttons in the UI is very "twitchy" with the trackpad so hooking up a mouse and keyboard, at minimum, would be very helpful. If you have a USB-C multi-function hub and can hook it up to a m&k and monitor that would be ideal.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 30, 2022, 07:26:32 PM

How do you get into Desktop mode?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #123 on: September 30, 2022, 08:01:31 PM

There a multiple ways but the way I normally do it is:

Steam button (lower left button) -> Power -> Switch to Desktop

Make sure you've saved or are out of any game you are playing before switching.

You'll see the Firefox icon in the bottom task bar after you've switched to Desktop mode.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #124 on: October 08, 2022, 07:45:17 PM

Official Dock is finally available for $89 (1-2 weeks delivery in US, currently): https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeckdock
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #125 on: October 09, 2022, 10:02:30 AM

Also no more reservations anymore (for now) in US and presumably Europe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #126 on: December 01, 2022, 07:40:40 PM

Steam Deck giveaways (one every minute) during The Game Awards this year:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawardssteamdeckdrop2022

You must register to enter the drawing and be watching The Game Awards on Steam to be eligible to win.

To register, you must be in the US, Canada, UK, or the EU, have made purchase on Steam between November 14, 2021 and November 14, 2022 to verify the country, be in good standing, and not have a limited account. Learn about limited accounts.

On December 8th when The Game Awards airs, every minute a random name will be drawn from the pool of registrants currently watching the show on Steam.

We will be streaming The Game Awards at https://steam.tv - winner will be announced in chat as each drawing takes place.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: December 02, 2022, 05:10:23 AM

It's not worth a steam deck to have to watch their stream chat to find out if I won. That's cruel but unfortunately not unusual.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: December 02, 2022, 06:08:53 AM

Or arguably having to watch The Game Awards may be the 'cruel' part. OTOH, if you're in an EU timezone, watching a stream between 2 am and 4:30 am probably counts as 'unusual' unless you have an IV drip with doritos + mtn dew ready to go. awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 06:10:38 AM by Zetor »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 01, 2023, 09:37:01 AM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Steam Deck (Valve handheld PC gaming device)  
Jump to: