Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings  (Read 16627 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 17, 2021, 10:36:42 AM

Shang-Chi... watching this movie I gave it a C-. Thinking about this movie makes this drift toward a D. This is ranked third beside Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 as worst marvel movie of all time. The movie tries very hard to get us to care about the fight scenes, which are great, but also forget to have them matter to the overall narrative. So out of like 5-6 action set pieces only 2 of them actually needed to happen and only 1 of them star Shang-Chi...the main character...of the movie.

Like this movies tone is literally all over the place... Shang-Chi has the backstory of Natasha Romanoff but the side characters you find in Spiderman Homecoming and no one thought to themselves that those two things don't mix... And the funniest part is, maybe they could have worked it out if it wasn't for the fact that the most interesting point in Shang-Chi life was when he was 14 not 29... Literally just change the movie to a 14 year old Shang-Chi instead of the late 20s early 30s dude and the character and the movie would have made way more sense and also would have been much better for it.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 14, 2021, 04:53:24 AM

So I'm lost, is this film supposed to be in English or Chinese - 5 min in on Disney plus and it's all subtitled and not spoken in English, making it hard to do work and watch at the same time.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #37 on: November 14, 2021, 05:43:27 AM

So I'm lost, is this film supposed to be in English or Chinese - 5 min in on Disney plus and it's all subtitled and not spoken in English, making it hard to do work and watch at the same time.

That was the intro scenes. It switches up to American style once it moves to Shang as an adult.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: November 14, 2021, 10:31:03 AM

Many of the Chinese characters speak in Chinese, so they are subtitled, but most of the movie is English.

I watched this last night on Disney +. Thought it was a solid, mid-tier MCU flick. I liked the humor and Awkafina's character being more than just comic relief was refreshing. She's up there with Michael Pena from the Ant-Man movies for comedic relief character that I looked forward to seeing. The movie looked amazing in 4k, shittons of high contrast color especially in the Ta Lo scenes. I would have loved to have seen some connection to the Iron Fist character (just not that one from the Netflix series) but overall, well done. Really good fight choreography especially the bus scene.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 14, 2021, 04:29:18 PM

Bus scene and the fight on the building scaffolding were memorable, if not quite the top ten wuxia scenes ever or anything.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #40 on: November 15, 2021, 06:41:22 AM

Fine movie, but there was so much CGI during some of the fights that it was basically a cartoon.  Which is alright for a comic book movie, I guess, but I thought a lot of the big fights looked pretty bad.  The smaller, more intimate fights were well done however.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #41 on: November 15, 2021, 02:02:44 PM

I enjoyed it, but it didn't feel like a MCU film. Felt like a Disney film. They even killed off the mom!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #42 on: November 15, 2021, 04:17:27 PM

I enjoyed it, but it didn't feel like a MCU film. Felt like a Disney film. They even killed off the mom!

This is funny, but also now I'm cutting together a montage in my head of all the MCU mom deaths.  Starlord, Iron Man, Thor... who am I missing?  Feels like they've fridged a few moms.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: November 15, 2021, 06:47:46 PM

This is funny, but also now I'm cutting together a montage in my head of all the MCU mom deaths.  Starlord, Iron Man, Thor... who am I missing?  Feels like they've fridged a few moms.

If references count, the list is endless. We even know about Gamora's.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: November 15, 2021, 07:19:03 PM

Cap's Mom, Black Widow's biological mom, Monica Rambeau's mom, both Scarlet Witch's parents (and brother), presumably both Spider-man's parents (and uncle), both of Falcon's parents I think... probably some others.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #45 on: November 16, 2021, 08:15:27 AM

Black Panther's dad
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 16, 2021, 11:31:20 AM

Some of these only got fridged retrospectively--I mean, I don't think of a middle-aged adult having dead parents as any particular trauma, so all we knew about Tony Stark at first was that his mom and dad were gone and he loved them but ok; really wasn't until Civil War that they got actively fridged.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's parents didn't get fridged until Wandavision, etc.

Actually, they've AVOIDED the ultimate primal Marvel fridging, which is Uncle Ben, let alone Peter's birth parents. (Who even in the comics didn't matter worth a fuck for years until some desperate writer decided to make them SHIELD agents or some useless shit like that.)

But it does seem like as the formula has evolved, it's moved towards "let's kill the heroes' parents to give them some emotional baggage/depth". Though they've also given people some families who don't get offed, leaving out the Blip--Falcon's sister, Black Panther's sister, etc. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #47 on: November 16, 2021, 09:17:26 PM

Some of these only got fridged retrospectively--I mean, I don't think of a middle-aged adult having dead parents as any particular trauma, so all we knew about Tony Stark at first was that his mom and dad were gone and he loved them but ok; really wasn't until Civil War that they got actively fridged.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's parents didn't get fridged until Wandavision, etc.

Actually, they've AVOIDED the ultimate primal Marvel fridging, which is Uncle Ben, let alone Peter's birth parents. (Who even in the comics didn't matter worth a fuck for years until some desperate writer decided to make them SHIELD agents or some useless shit like that.)

But it does seem like as the formula has evolved, it's moved towards "let's kill the heroes' parents to give them some emotional baggage/depth". Though they've also given people some families who don't get offed, leaving out the Blip--Falcon's sister, Black Panther's sister, etc. 

Tony had some clear daddy issues from the start and it was explicit that Howard's death was unexpected and when Tony was still fairly young. The death of Wanda and Pietro's parents (and blaming Stark for it) IIRC was their motivation for hooking up with Hydra in the first place in Age of Ultron.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more mention of Peter's parents or especially Uncle Ben in that Spider-man Freshman year animated thing that got announced on Disney+ day (don't think we discussed all those announcements and clips here yet, mostly just on f13 Discord).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 21, 2021, 09:48:50 AM

So, there were bits of this I enjoyed.

The bus, the side of the building, any time Katy or Ben Kingsley were speaking, and whenever Wong showed up.

Then there were bits where I was waiting for it to start being good again. And they were most of the rest of the bits.

It was fine I guess.

Main character seemed really nondescript though. I can't think of any meaningful way to describe him.

And the village at the end was a bit rubbish.

It was OK though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #49 on: November 22, 2021, 10:01:35 AM

Not sure why this movie happened, why someone wanted to bring out some bit character I can't even remember from the comics, with nothing but the slightest mentions that this is indeed in the MCU.

High points were the not-Mandarin and Wong.

Low point was probably the lead, what a vacant box of actor. When Akwafina is out-acting you in a scene (actually in almost every scene), you a shit actor. The little critter the Mandarin was hanging out with was a better actor than Sean Chi. The Ten Rings might be the laziest nemesis organization ever hand-waved into existence.

This is my current low for the MCU, really not looking forward to Eternals continuing the slide.
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: November 22, 2021, 10:16:05 AM

This is my current low for the MCU, really not looking forward to Eternals continuing the slide.

please
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 22, 2021, 11:42:45 AM

Criticising the actor might be unfair.

I'm not convinced there was much material for him to work with here.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 22, 2021, 06:50:50 PM

Not sure why this movie happened, why someone wanted to bring out some bit character I can't even remember from the comics, with nothing but the slightest mentions that this is indeed in the MCU.

High points were the not-Mandarin and Wong.

Low point was probably the lead, what a vacant box of actor. When Akwafina is out-acting you in a scene (actually in almost every scene), you a shit actor. The little critter the Mandarin was hanging out with was a better actor than Sean Chi. The Ten Rings might be the laziest nemesis organization ever hand-waved into existence.

Eternals was better but also shouldn't have been made. More mediocrity for mediocrity sake.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: November 22, 2021, 11:35:17 PM

Not sure why this movie happened, why someone wanted to bring out some bit character I can't even remember from the comics

Yeah, it'd be like someone making a movie out of one of the characters from that old Tomb of Dracula comic, or that group of space characters that included a talking racoon.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 06, 2021, 11:19:38 AM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #55 on: December 06, 2021, 11:38:15 AM

What’s the problem?
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: December 06, 2021, 12:24:03 PM

there's nothing even worth commenting on in that article
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 06, 2021, 12:25:48 PM

It was a shit movie and shit director and getting a sequel.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 06, 2021, 12:32:57 PM

It was a decent middle of the pack MCU movie, a sequel was absolutely guaranteed and should not surprise anyone. Not sure what problem people have with this movie, it was fun and entertaining like most MCU fare.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: December 06, 2021, 01:54:25 PM

This is like your Brie Larson thing again, isn't it?

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 06, 2021, 06:16:23 PM

I thought it was fine; I think they generally seem smart about recognizing what wasn't working and fixing it. Iron Man is the only one where they didn't eventually figure out how to keep getting better and just got worse.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #61 on: December 06, 2021, 08:34:52 PM

It was a decent middle of the pack MCU movie, a sequel was absolutely guaranteed and should not surprise anyone. Not sure what problem people have with this movie, it was fun and entertaining like most MCU fare.

This. There wasn't anything egregious about the movie - it was a fun, martial arts inspired movie with some decent visuals and fight choreography.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 07, 2021, 10:18:04 AM

I think if they find a way to double-up the martial arts with a keener sense of practical (or at least wire-fu) staging, that would be really great. I almost wonder if they could steal the Seven Cities of Heaven story arc from Iron Fist (and use that to darken or complicate the place that his mother came from).
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 07, 2021, 04:00:09 PM

Honestly half the problem with Iron Fist was the shitty quality fight choreography, I think Shang-Chi worked fine as low-tier Marvel movie. It was a bit uninspired but the plotting was reasonably tight if formulaic, it was no Thor 2 or Iron Man 2 quality wise.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #64 on: December 07, 2021, 06:40:39 PM

Shang Chi was fine, as "Martial Arts Epic in the MCU" the same way that Ant-Man was "Heist movie in the MCU". It wasn't a great martial arts epic, but it wasn't bad. It hit the right beats, had the right visuals. I don't want my two hours back.

--Dave
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:48:32 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 08, 2021, 05:43:41 AM

MCU has generally been bad at sequels though. I can't say I'm looking forward to the second of these.

Off the top of my head I think Thor 3 is the only example of an MCU film being better than its prequels.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 08, 2021, 06:01:26 AM

Winter Soldier is better than Cap 1, though Cap 1 is good.

Guardians 2 I think is at least as good as Guardians.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is at least as good as Ant-Man.

I'm not sure Infinity War and Endgame count as pure sequels, but they're better in many ways than Avengers.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 08, 2021, 07:00:29 AM

This is like your Brie Larson thing again, isn't it?
schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: December 10, 2021, 09:48:09 PM

Ok. I finally watched this. It was fucking great. Leung is one of the best baddies in MCU one-off history. Now I can respond to things.

Shang-Chi... watching this movie I gave it a C-. Thinking about this movie makes this drift toward a D. This is ranked third beside Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 as worst marvel movie of all time. The movie tries very hard to get us to care about the fight scenes, which are great, but also forget to have them matter to the overall narrative. So out of like 5-6 action set pieces only 2 of them actually needed to happen and only 1 of them star Shang-Chi...the main character...of the movie.

Like this movies tone is literally all over the place... Shang-Chi has the backstory of Natasha Romanoff but the side characters you find in Spiderman Homecoming and no one thought to themselves that those two things don't mix... And the funniest part is, maybe they could have worked it out if it wasn't for the fact that the most interesting point in Shang-Chi life was when he was 14 not 29... Literally just change the movie to a 14 year old Shang-Chi instead of the late 20s early 30s dude and the character and the movie would have made way more sense and also would have been much better for it.

You're both idiots.

-

Now getting to other comments:

MCU sequels have a history of being better than the first ones, and I think that's because characters learn how to lean into their characters way way harder.

Thor 2 really stands out as being the only one like, hilariously worse.

Anyway, this movie was great and expanded the universe in extremely relevant ways. We know Bruce has reverted and healed his arm, somehow. We know the 10 rings have called at the very least, one of the upcoming big baddies. Along with Zendaya and a few other notable characters (much to my chagrin, Kat Dennings), we now have another relevant human in the mix. Also, Tim Roth on the same side as Wong which implies Bruce has kept tabs on Abomination.

8/10. Not S-tier, but certainly A-tier.

The first 5 minutes are Disney trash though.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #69 on: December 10, 2021, 11:27:29 PM

We know Bruce has reverted and healed his arm, somehow.
His arm is still injured.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings  
Jump to: