Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Loki 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loki  (Read 26831 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #175 on: July 15, 2021, 05:53:44 PM

WandaVision and Loki both have some small missteps, but overall I think I'd give WandaVision the edge for Bettany and Olsen's performances. Not to say that Hiddleston and the rest of the Loki cast aren't great but some of those scenes between Wanda and Vision towards the end of WandaVision hit pretty hard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #176 on: July 16, 2021, 03:43:34 PM

I skipped 3 episodes of WandaVision and still don't have motivation to rewatch the ones I skipped. I was only slightly worried that Loki will take a turn for the generic in episode 4ish.

i'm sorry you can't experience joy
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #177 on: July 16, 2021, 10:17:49 PM

I’ve said it elsewhere but I’ll say it here too, this was the best season of Doctor Who since Davies stepped down as show runner.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #178 on: July 17, 2021, 07:50:40 AM

That's not hard since Dr who is hammy butt
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 21, 2021, 03:03:33 PM

I did come across something today that pointed out that the Eternals flick might be an ideal place to launch a Kang/Rama Tut cameo/endcredits scene--if you start a movie in  the distant past and you're trying to light up a story under a time-travelling conqueror, that might be a natural.

Might also provide a pretty good origin for the Ten Rings that Shang-Chi's dad has--they're some future tech that Kang's soldiers lost in a trans-time shipment for one of his conquest.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #180 on: May 11, 2022, 12:30:03 PM

https://thedirect.com/article/loki-season-2-filming-start-date

The good news: shooting to start soon, wrapping up by summer's end.

The less good: new directors are from Moon Knight.

Given their anti-tie-in stance, it seems like an odd choice. I enjoyed MK well enough but it wasn't near the level of quality of the Loki show.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: May 11, 2022, 02:55:58 PM

I'm fairly certain the anti tie in thing was entirely about Oscar Isaac not wanting to get tied up with another big franchise and nothing else.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: May 11, 2022, 05:28:17 PM

Yeah. I think it might even have been a contractual condition: promise nothing at all about where this goes, so that it's Isaac making the decisions, not anybody else.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 12, 2022, 07:36:22 AM

I'm fairly certain the anti tie in thing was entirely about Oscar Isaac not wanting to get tied up with another big franchise and nothing else.
They've been beaming about it in interviews, the gist is that they're amazing because the show worked without tie-ins to the point they actively removed them from the script.

Isaac was secondary, Khonshu can recast the role at any time.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 12, 2022, 08:37:12 AM

The only thing I heard was about removing tie in mentions with the new Thor movie as they had no idea when it would be out and the bad guy is a god killer.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 12, 2022, 08:42:59 AM

Yeah, you can see the Olympians in the Thor trailer, so I would guess we're gonna see some gods get fridged. But hey, the Egyptian gods seem mostly already fridged, depending on how you interpret what happens when Ammit gets into the meeting room.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 13, 2022, 09:16:29 AM

The only thing I heard was about removing tie in mentions with the new Thor movie as they had no idea when it would be out and the bad guy is a god killer.

According to him, the hero standing alone as a character "was one of the foundations of doing this entire project," and with there having been "no expectations on him... the project could be anything:"

Quote from: director Aaron Moorhead
"Making sure that Moon Knight was something that could completely stand alone as a character was one of the foundations of doing this entire project. Our executive producer Grant [Curtis] and also Mohamed [Diab], the other director and EP, they were all saying, 'There's no reason to do this if we're not going to be able to be bold by spending all the currency of having a character that no one knows anything about, and it doesn't have to tie in in any way. There's no expectations on him, so we can do anything that we want... and that was actually one of the reasons that Justin and I really wanted to do this project. It's that there was… He could be anything. The project could be anything."

https://thedirect.com/article/moon-knight-mcu-connections-avoiding

Now, the genesis may be Isaac's contract, but they definitely embraced it as a positive, since they list that as a reason they even wanted to do it. Which was what came to mind when I read that bit about running the Loki show.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #187 on: May 13, 2022, 11:48:47 AM

Yeah, you can see the Olympians in the Thor trailer, so I would guess we're gonna see some gods get fridged. But hey, the Egyptian gods seem mostly already fridged, depending on how you interpret what happens when Ammit gets into the meeting room.
They really seemed to imply it was just the avatars, and killing the avatars doesn't take out the gods.  Mind you they really didn't go into exactly wtf the gods are doing or how they function outside their avatars beyond Khonshu, and he seemed fine with his avatar dying if need be.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: May 13, 2022, 02:15:48 PM

It sort of seems as if the gods get pretty well sidelined if they get stuffed back into their little statues, though, and the guy who was Ra's avatar put Khonshu's statue in a pretty big collection of mothballed gods.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #189 on: October 07, 2023, 08:22:50 AM

I'd almost forgotten how delightful this show is.  I don't even mind that it's complete nonsense.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #190 on: October 07, 2023, 09:45:23 AM

Ke Huy Quan is a great addition to the cast.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #191 on: October 07, 2023, 04:32:30 PM

Really good first episode.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: October 08, 2023, 11:33:22 AM

This is just pure fun.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 08, 2023, 07:35:00 PM

It was great.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: November 10, 2023, 02:31:06 PM

Wow, not only was that just a perfect finale to a great show they completely solved the Jonathan Majors problem going forward. They literally can take it any direction they want now. That shot of Loki at the end was incredible.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #195 on: November 11, 2023, 02:42:09 PM

I've been trying to figure out what that final shot of Loki reminds me of, mythologically speaking, especially given his line about what kind of god he's going to be.  The green timeline branches are kind of treelike, so Odin hanging from Yggdrasil is one possible reference, but I don't think that's what they were going for.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 11, 2023, 03:16:21 PM

I absolutely thought it was Yggdrasil, entirely on purpose--that Loki has made himself "the god of stories"--a living loom through which all timelines pass, sacrificing himself in the process.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #197 on: November 11, 2023, 03:57:32 PM

Yeah, I think it was totally Yggdrasil. It's the first thing I thought of when they showed the tree.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #198 on: November 11, 2023, 04:11:55 PM

Yggdrasil is what came to my mind also.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: November 11, 2023, 05:42:29 PM

They even turn the Loom from a horizontal to a vertical orientation.

It was a lovely, moving end to the 2 seasons and sort-of-not-really to the character. (I think we can all see that he's likely to be the Nick Fury of the 'Multiverse Saga' in both the Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars--the prime mover who recruits people but can't directly intervene.) I was surprised at how much it affected me.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #200 on: November 11, 2023, 09:25:55 PM

Things could go that way although Hiddleston also said some things today that many are interpreting as him being done with the role:

“It’s the conclusion to Season 2 … It’s also the conclusion to six films, and 12 episodes, and 14 years of my life,” Hiddleston said.

Hiddleston noted that he was 29 when he was first cast as the villain, eventually turned antihero if not hero — he’s now 42.

“It’s been a journey,” Hiddleston said. “I do think, in the finale, there are echoes and resonances of every version of Loki that I’ve played.”
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: November 12, 2023, 05:20:52 AM

He's done the arc from villain to hero twice now, short of a cameo because he likes money it feels like a natural stopping point.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Loki  
Jump to: