Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: WandaVision 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WandaVision  (Read 41702 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #210 on: February 24, 2021, 01:00:25 PM

In a similar vein...I actually prefer the look of the 'halloween' costumes for Wanda and Vision over their MCU versions thus far  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #211 on: February 25, 2021, 06:01:27 AM

It is the old school '70's Avengers costumes and I absolutely loved them, despite their ridiculousness.

I did always like that Grant Morrison's run on Justice League  portrayed Plastic Man as one of the most powerful supers on the planet. Kind of like how super-speed of the kind depicted in Flash would make him so much more powerful than almost any villain he could face. If your body is so malleable that it can make almost any shape regardless of size or mass, I think that'd be a pretty powerful set of abilities if you had enough imagination to use it.

And gross. Definitely gross.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: February 25, 2021, 07:02:17 AM

I used to read Plastic Man comics back in the day and am overjoyed to learn I'm not the only person that's heard of him. On the whole "depicting stretching powers hasn't worked thing" I think it'll requite really well done CGI to make it work. The Incredibles made it work because they did it without it seeming out of place in their world. Seeing it in live-action always looks kind of weird and fake so far in my opinion.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #213 on: February 25, 2021, 07:26:37 AM

It is the old school '70's Avengers costumes and I absolutely loved them, despite their ridiculousness.

I did always like that Grant Morrison's run on Justice League  portrayed Plastic Man as one of the most powerful supers on the planet. Kind of like how super-speed of the kind depicted in Flash would make him so much more powerful than almost any villain he could face. If your body is so malleable that it can make almost any shape regardless of size or mass, I think that'd be a pretty powerful set of abilities if you had enough imagination to use it.

And gross. Definitely gross.
I had a phase where the Vision was my 'who would be who' champ, until I met an ultimate pedant and stopped wasting my time with such nonsense  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: February 25, 2021, 07:51:38 AM

Who would beat who kind of had its ultimate day in the JLA/Avengers comic they produced a while back, both because they had some clever match-ups and because every fight had to be approved by both companies...
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: February 26, 2021, 01:30:10 AM

Not really a fan of this week's episode but it did explain a lot. It did feel like they left an important 5 min or so on the cutting room floor though.
I should say that there was a lot of good in the episode and it may be spoilerish if I said why I didn't like it that much so just in case
Agnes' behavior from 1-6 didn't really match episode 7 IMO; there's a resolution to that here.

I think opinions may vary on this episode but I think most people will be pleased with the direction of the story now.

I'm not sure why I am surprised but it looks like they are also looking at a 21st century Scarlet Witch series as inspiration as well. Pretty neat trick to tie disparate storylines from several different decades into one MCU show.

There's another mid credit scene that pays homage to the comics.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:56:41 AM by Raguel »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: February 26, 2021, 03:18:07 AM

The mid credit scene is a bit more than a homage, it is very plot central - though wasn't sure what was meant by 'energy from the original source'.

I liked the episode.

It does show they hit the wrong note with the Agatha reveal though.

I'd like them to have squeezed in more on Agatha, but I probably only think that because of the apparent conflict between the last episode and this one.

I can't think of anything in the MCU that transitioned to the final showdown that well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 04:32:40 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #217 on: February 26, 2021, 06:57:02 AM

So

The mid credit scene is a bit more than a homage, it is very plot central - though wasn't sure what was meant by 'energy from the original source'.
While they showed that Wanda had some small innate talent with magic, she got all her power from the Mind Stone.  The Mind Stone later is what powered Vision.  They recovered the drone infused with her Mind Stone (and Chaos?) Magic, and syphoned it off to use.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: February 26, 2021, 07:29:39 AM

I'm glad that they actually stuck to Wanda being the one who made the whole thing happen and not Agatha.

I am the .00000001428%
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 26, 2021, 07:30:07 AM

My contribution to the argument about the big bad reveal

But I get these things wrong.  A lot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:48:27 AM by Father mike »

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: February 26, 2021, 07:41:01 AM

I will note that Haemish is the one who put the D theory in play here first.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #221 on: February 26, 2021, 07:43:48 AM

Ah, thanks for bringing that up.  Yeah, I felt exactly the same way.

Edit:
I will note that Haemish is the one who put the D theory in play here first.
Whoops, missed that along the way somewhere!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:45:41 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 26, 2021, 08:11:04 AM

I'm glad that they actually stuck to Wanda being the one who made the whole thing happen and not Agatha.

I think they did a fantastic job of making it Wanda while not making her unavoidably a villain now.

I also really like the angle of Agatha being broadly neutral rather than a flat out antagonist.

They'd get all the gold stars if the 'I've been trying to snap you out of it for 6 episodes' thing was better supported. But this was still smarter than anything else we've seen in the MCU.

I don't think sword guy is working with anyone though. I think he just wanted his robot to work. He lied about what was happening in the footage because he doesn't want two visions and is happier without Wanda around to potentially turn off his vision.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #223 on: February 26, 2021, 09:12:23 AM

I think opinions may vary on this episode but I think most people will be pleased with the direction of the story now.

For the most part. I still think the Agatha reveal was a bit of a misfire, and I think it also betrays a slight lack of confidence in the writers that they felt they couldn't write an MCU story that didn't have a super-villain in it.

Still don't see Hayward as necessarily a villain either. I know by comic book logic we'd generally consider him as such, but it's also kind of a "yeah, no shit this is how a government agency would act" when it comes to dealing with something like Vision's corpse.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: February 26, 2021, 09:55:52 AM

So, my takeaways from the episode:

Hayward:

Agatha:

My biggest letdown with this episode was no Monica and Pietro. Next episode is the final episode correct? Or are there 2 more?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #225 on: February 26, 2021, 10:03:02 AM

So, my takeaways from the episode:

Hayward:

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 26, 2021, 11:59:44 AM

I wasn't fussed about the lack of monica and pietro - they are already final showdown ready. Especially as I expect they are all on the same side as Agatha and Wanda next week.

I was a bit surprised they didn't explain the multiverse but I guess they need to do that in a film anyway so no point being explicit here.

I noticed this one crept up to 46 minutes and wonder if it might be even longer next week.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 26, 2021, 03:24:11 PM

I'm glad that Agatha got the exact sort of role I was hoping they were going to go for, she never really seemed to be evil in what were revealed to be her interactions and was more prodding Wanda. I'm guessing we're going to see a Vision v. Vision showdown next episode. I am curious to see if Hayward is going to be just a power mad creep or is going to tie into some other big bad. His only goal does seem to have been getting himself a real working Vision but it seems real odd that he knew Wanda had the power to bring him back. Some potential Hydra connection to know about the Mind Stone and Wanda?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: February 26, 2021, 05:42:39 PM

In the comics, the Vision "dies" because he'd previously attempted to take over the entire world via integrated computing systems due to his fury at how badly mistreated he and Wanda were when they tried to have a normal suburban life in...New Jersey, but also because he encounters a sentient computer system that runs the very small world of Titan (where Thanos is from) and concludes that running the world is a snap.

This fails badly for a bunch of reasons, but basically the people who really run the world are so alarmed that the Vision was able to take over their computing systems that they kidnap him, dissemble him, and make sure he can't do it again. They don't care if he gets reassembled after that as long as they feel they understand how he did it in the first place and can reliably prevent it from happening again.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 26, 2021, 08:35:50 PM

I was a bit surprised they didn't explain the multiverse but I guess they need to do that in a film anyway so no point being explicit here.
Well, coincidentally, I just re-watched Dr Strange last week, and the Ancient One did actually explicitly state that an entire multiverse of alternate realities exists and one of the duties of the Sorcerers is to protect earth from the interference / influence of those other realities in one of her early lectures to Strange.   It's just that when that movie came out, most people didn't directly connect that bit of exposition to the possibility of "specific" multiverse style interaction (a-la Spiderverse etc) and rather just took it as a passing reference to "the multiverse" in abstract, or in reference to things like the Mirror Dimension.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #230 on: February 26, 2021, 08:42:08 PM

I think the entire zoo of predatory realities in Marvel continuity is something the normies need to be walked into slowly.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #231 on: February 26, 2021, 09:18:26 PM

Heh, all day I thought this latest episode was the finale and all I could think was "that was a weird way to end it".

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #232 on: February 26, 2021, 10:50:03 PM

Thing you have to remember about Agatha Harkness is that she's not a super villain and I think they have pretty accurately captured that with her role here. She's not the super villain and the big bad, though she may end up being an antagonist for this one. Her role in the comics in relation to Wanda was to train her to use her mutant powers in combination with actual magic, and it was called Chaos Magic. Later, when Wanda went insane and killed some Avengers (Hawkeye and the Vision as well as others) in Avengers Disassembled, Dr. Strange came in and said that there was no such thing as Chaos Magic (which probably got retconned away anyway - Wanda is almost as bad as Hawkman for repeated contradictory retcons).

I do like that Wanda isn't let off the hook for controlling Westview, though I think it's clear she didn't exactly know what she was doing or even that she could do that. The explanation for the sitcom thing was really well done. I have to give this show a ton of credit for not only not making this a black/white binary good versus evil story. There's a lot more nuance here than most MCU stories.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: February 26, 2021, 11:36:04 PM

Speaking of countless Wanda retcons: what I was alluding to earlier was, during a 2015 SW series, it turns out Wanda's REAL mother (this is like her 4th real mother  why so serious?) was a witch, specifically going by the name Scarlet Witch. Agatha knew all along but never told her (also at this time Agatha is a ghost, because comics). I never read the entire story so I don't know how it was resolved. I got the feeling however that Wanda was just the latest SW in a long line of SWs. It sounds to me that that's what Agatha is saying in this episode.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #234 on: February 27, 2021, 12:34:47 AM

Thing you have to remember about Agatha Harkness is that she's not a super villain and I think they have pretty accurately captured that with her role here. She's not the super villain and the big bad, though she may end up being an antagonist for this one. Her role in the comics in relation to Wanda was to train her to use her mutant powers in combination with actual magic, and it was called Chaos Magic. Later, when Wanda went insane and killed some Avengers (Hawkeye and the Vision as well as others) in Avengers Disassembled, Dr. Strange came in and said that there was no such thing as Chaos Magic (which probably got retconned away anyway - Wanda is almost as bad as Hawkman for repeated contradictory retcons).

I do like that Wanda isn't let off the hook for controlling Westview, though I think it's clear she didn't exactly know what she was doing or even that she could do that. The explanation for the sitcom thing was really well done. I have to give this show a ton of credit for not only not making this a black/white binary good versus evil story. There's a lot more nuance here than most MCU stories.

Agatha isn't a villain in the comics, sure. It remains to be seen what they'll do with her here, but I don't know that there are any die-hard Agatha Harkness fans out there who are going to be terribly upset if they change the character around.

Other side-note about the time Dr. Strange said there was no such thing as chaos magic, it was especially dumb even at the time because there was a period in the 90s where Strange himself got his powers from chaos magic (the comic kept going through creative team changes, each one coming up with some new take on the character).

As far as the ongoing Dormammu speculation here goes, would anybody actually be excited to see him return, especially as a lead-in to the next Dr. Strange movie? He was the main villain of the last one, and wasn't especially interesting there. Sure I can see how he would work as a plot device, weakening dimensional barriers and such, but as far as memorable MCU villains go he kinda ranks down there with Malekith.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: February 27, 2021, 06:16:37 AM

I don't get how anyone is getting a "not a villian" vibe from Agatha in this show, that Salem flashback was a villain origin story if i ever saw one and kidnapping then choking children is not "grey character" behavior. PLUS SHE KILLED THE FUCKING DOG.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: February 27, 2021, 06:42:38 AM

There have been at least four really dumb turns in the life of the Scarlet Witch character in the comics, and Brian Michael Bendis is responsible for at least two of them. House of M and Avengers Disassembled powered her ridiculously up and did some dumb crazy-woman tropes along with it. The other two were John Byrne deciding that she actually had the hots for Wonder Man because the Vision's mind was based on Wonder Man's (always an incredibly ridiculous premise, considering that the two characters really have very little in common in their expressed personalities and besides Wonder Man has been a horribly written and wildly inconsistent character for his entire existence); and then finally more recently deciding that Wanda and Pietro weren't actually mutants and Magneto wasn't actually their father, which apparently was just to simply the legal exposure at the time (e.g., to keep Fox from claiming that they were X-Men characters and couldn't be used in the MCU).

Agatha Harkness isn't a villain exactly in the comics but she's also been manipulative and creepy in at least some of her appearances.

I am really beginning to wonder if
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 27, 2021, 06:44:29 AM

Current rumor is that he meant himself :P

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: February 27, 2021, 08:15:41 AM

That certainly makes the most sense. Seems almost certain white vision talking to wanda's vision will be a thing.

I really don't see why sword guy has to be working with anyone. And seems especially unlikely it would be anyone magic themed.

I can still imagine an epilogue scene linking Agatha to anyone convenient for a future series or movie.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: February 27, 2021, 08:20:35 AM

I don't get how anyone is getting a "not a villian" vibe from Agatha in this show, that Salem flashback was a villain origin story if i ever saw one and kidnapping then choking children is not "grey character" behavior. PLUS SHE KILLED THE FUCKING DOG.

Didn't she kill her cat or something at one point to not die?

She's not a villian in the sense that she can't be bothered to conquer the world or anything equally silly.

But not a hero in the sense that she mostly wants to stay alive and gives limited shits about the wider world.

In the next episode, when faced with SWORD trying to kill everyone, I expect her to be on Wanda's side - if only for the giggles.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #240 on: February 27, 2021, 09:03:59 AM

She's not a villian in the sense that she can't be bothered to conquer the world or anything equally silly.

But not a hero in the sense that she mostly wants to stay alive and gives limited shits about the wider world.

This is what I mean by Agatha not being a villain. She wasn't moustache-twirling levels of badness in this one, and she genuinely seemed interested in what Wanda is more than how she can use Wanda. The origin scene for Agatha clearly showed that she was more interested in knowledge than power for power's sake. She was technically defending herself.

As for Dormammu being the villain and working with Hayward, I don't think Hayward knows he's working with Dormammu so much as Dormammu is influencing him subconsciously, much like I imagine he's been tempting Baron Mordru in the Dr. Strange movie.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: February 27, 2021, 01:44:18 PM

In the comics, Agatha deliberately fed other witches/sorcerers to the witch trials in Salem and to later persecution not because she was trying to protect herself but because she thought it got rid of the weak witches and kept the strong ones. That is pretty deep into villain territory. Her interest in people like Franklin Richards was also never altruistic.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:43:30 PM by Khaldun »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: February 27, 2021, 07:33:56 PM

Just had a thought.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 27, 2021, 09:14:44 PM

This is what I mean by Agatha not being a villain. She wasn't moustache-twirling levels of badness in this one, and she genuinely seemed interested in what Wanda is more than how she can use Wanda. The origin scene for Agatha clearly showed that she was more interested in knowledge than power for power's sake. She was technically defending herself.

As for Dormammu being the villain and working with Hayward, I don't think Hayward knows he's working with Dormammu so much as Dormammu is influencing him subconsciously, much like I imagine he's been tempting Baron Mordru in the Dr. Strange movie.

One thing I was struck by. During Wanda's memory walk there was definitely a moment where Agatha, I believe, shows genuine empathy.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #244 on: February 27, 2021, 10:09:02 PM

You are correct, Riggswolfe.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: WandaVision  
Jump to: