Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: WandaVision 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WandaVision  (Read 42247 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #140 on: February 13, 2021, 12:32:02 PM

I definitely think Quicksilver's hair is just an homage to his terrible comics look, especially considering he, Wanda and Vision were all wearing the most literal interpretations of their classic uniforms. I love that Tommy and Billie were both wearing the costumes of their Young Avengers appearances. There were so many good comic nerd nods in this episode. That's one of the things that makes it difficult to gauge what's a red herring or what's an actual hint about the ultimate reveal - all the nods to TV tropes, sitcoms, and comic references are so much overload that it's very easy to miss one in the flood, and it's hard to point to one as dominant because there are so many.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: February 13, 2021, 12:41:29 PM

Yo-Magic Yogurt, “Yo-Magic. The snack for survivors": If this represents anything we've seen on screen before WandaVision, I can't imagine what it is. There's no name associated with it, the whole thing is an allegory for a Faustian bargain, the shark is nameless, the little boy dies in claymation grotesqueness. In an episode littered with deeper meaning and references behind everything, this is completely disconnected. Pretty sure it has to represent what happened with Wanda after Endgame.

Wanda made a deal with someone or something, and it's both exactly what she bargained for and a hellish nightmare.

--Dave

Could just be about survivors guilt, the next traumatic event in Wanda's life is Pietro's death. Maybe she feels she could have saved him with her magic but she wasn't strong enough.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #142 on: February 13, 2021, 01:50:57 PM

Another thought: What Vision sees when he's away from Wanda (simplified behaviors, looping, static poses) is a lot like what we do in games with NPC's when the players aren't nearby, no point in burning cycles on stuff that won't be seen.

Is this connected to "computational forms"? Is Vision also involved in operating the pocket universe?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 13, 2021, 02:26:21 PM

I think if it comes down to it,

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 13, 2021, 02:55:52 PM

Another thought: What Vision sees when he's away from Wanda (simplified behaviors, looping, static poses) is a lot like what we do in games with NPC's when the players aren't nearby, no point in burning cycles on stuff that won't be seen.

Is this connected to "computational forms"? Is Vision also involved in operating the pocket universe?

--Dave

I read that more as simply Wanda is directing people and those who are outside areas she's focused on are just kind of left in neutral to provide background e.g. the neighour cutting through the wall when he was hedge trimming because Wanda was distracted. I don't really think the computational work thing was necessarily a clue so much as it tied into Vision's nature and the sitcom joke about no one ever having a 'real' job. Hell they pretty much state Wanda sends him to 'work' when he needs to be distracted. I think she's being manipulated but I think it's more along the lines of setting her up to break her as a person somehow rather than using her current power to achieve something.

Also having gotten through all the episodes so far this week, the first three definitely work really well as a binge. I think it would have been kind of frustrating watching them each a week apart.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 13, 2021, 02:58:05 PM

I thought Billy was dressed as that male Scarlet Witch guy whose name I can't remember. Not Dr strange.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #146 on: February 13, 2021, 03:01:25 PM

Remember how folks said "well, they're never going to deal with the Snap again" and wow, did Feige & Co set out to show us that we were wrong about that.

Did they? It was played for comedy mostly in the Spider-man sequel, and informs some of Monica's character here, sure. Thanks to Covid we've barely had any MCU product since Endgame and unless something odd is going on Black Widow should be pre-Snap, but for the most part I still haven't seen anything that suggests that they're really doing anything to show the ramifications of 50% of the world being erased and coming back 5 years later. The world in the MCU seems like it's largely back to being close to the present day real world (with superheroes and all that comes along with but you know what I mean).

I mean... 50% of the population. 1 out of every 2 people should be going through what Monica is, but it doesn't come across like that here.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #147 on: February 13, 2021, 03:03:06 PM

Director Douchebag went pretty long on the issue in this last episode.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #148 on: February 13, 2021, 03:04:25 PM

I thought Billy was dressed as that male Scarlet Witch guy whose name I can't remember. Not Dr strange.

If you mean Dr. Druid or something, nah Haem is right. It's clearly meant to look like his outfit as Wiccan in Young Avengers.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: February 13, 2021, 03:07:19 PM

Turns out I do mean wiccan.

Who is also Vision and Wanda's son Billy.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: February 13, 2021, 03:13:12 PM

Ah yeah, I forgot he had the Wiccan headband, just remembered the Dr. Strange-ish cape, which he also has as Wiccan.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #151 on: February 13, 2021, 03:23:04 PM

I actually took a look the other day to see if they ever explained how Billy and Tommy came back in the comics and it turns out, no so much.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: February 13, 2021, 03:44:18 PM

Kinda sorta but it's a fucking mess of the worst kind.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #153 on: February 13, 2021, 05:36:03 PM

He was dressed as the character Wiccan from Young Avengers - which was a character that was later confirmed to be the reincarnation of Wanda's children that she imagined into existence, whose name is Billy.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #154 on: February 13, 2021, 06:28:44 PM

Well, since dimensional incursion is heavily hinted at, both in show and in talks of Doc Strange 2, we should expect the masters of the mystic arts to show up sometime. Maybe Strange himself, maybe Woo, but it's probably going to be some variation on a dimensional horror having used Wanda as a stalking horse to make a beach head in our reality.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #155 on: February 19, 2021, 01:45:57 AM

Didn't like the reveal at the end of the episode. Hopefully they at least do something interesting with it.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: February 19, 2021, 04:34:58 AM

And predictably we get the multiheaded scapegoats to salvage Wanda's hero persona. I mean it was either that or face the consequences of endangering/ruining the lives of millions of people because your sad  Ohhhhh, I see.. I would be genuinely surprised if there was any actual blowback for this other than a vehicle to explain why some characters have powers.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: February 19, 2021, 09:33:41 AM

The reveal seemed like a good idea, but suffered from not really having any sneaky things to reveal.

Thinking about it though it had to be her. They did a decent job of making us think it might be anyone else.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:58:37 AM by eldaec »

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: February 19, 2021, 09:49:12 AM

I wonder if this is a double fake out. I looked up Agatha Harkness after I watched it and she's never been a villain from what I can tell. So could we have yet another manipulator behind her? Or is this just a case of the MCU changing a character.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: February 19, 2021, 10:57:06 AM

I doubt it.

We still don't know what Agatha wants or how it fits into what sword guy wants though.

And wouldn't rule out a final episode post credits scene reveal of how it fits into someone's larger plan.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #160 on: February 19, 2021, 11:02:19 AM

Could be another fake-out, but to what end, especially with 2 episodes left? Either way if you’re only just introducing your villain 3.5 hours into a 4.5 hour story that’s a bit of a problem.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: February 19, 2021, 11:22:39 AM

I think you guys missed the mid-credits scene. There's definitely more to it than "Agatha All Along."

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #162 on: February 19, 2021, 11:40:06 AM

No, I saw it.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: February 19, 2021, 11:50:42 AM

No, I saw it.
The one with 'Pietro'? Or just the bit between the Agatha credits and the Wandavision credits?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: February 19, 2021, 12:02:41 PM

There is definitely more to explain I just don't see it being another villian.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #165 on: February 19, 2021, 12:03:11 PM

The thing with Monica and Pietro. It’s too brief to really offer up any substantial hint. The larger hint of bigger goings-on was the Nexus commercial.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: February 19, 2021, 12:08:01 PM

Yes, seems likely Wanda and Agatha are both nexus people and Agatha is going to explain this next week.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: February 19, 2021, 12:25:41 PM

The thing with Monica and Pietro. It’s too brief to really offer up any substantial hint. The larger hint of bigger goings-on was the Nexus commercial.

I didn't know about the nexus stuff but looked it up. Looks like in the comics Wanda is a "nexus being" and can access all realities or something? I'm guessing that WandaVision is indeed going to be used to bring the X-men into the MCU. I'm thinking the mid-credits scene is a partial misdirect. We're supposed to assume Pietro is working for Agnes but he's really just as curious as Monica is about what's going on. Perhaps Wanda's blasting of him last episode freed him from Agatha's control or something.

It's also possible that the X-men version of Earth is being destroyed by the hex and he's there to save it but that seems like a lot to throw into only 2 episodes unless this isn't a one-off as I assumed and there will be a season 2 of WandaVision.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: February 19, 2021, 08:12:26 PM

I already went into the Nexus thing about four episodes back. It's not Wanda. It's a place in the Marvel Universe, normally in the Everglades. They moved it to New Jersey, apparently.

That's what's in Agatha's basement--the doorways you saw. The Nexus is a gateway to other realities/universes. In the Marvel Universe, among other things, it has had a portal back to Howard the Duck's universe.

Wanda doesn't normally have any special multiversal powers--but she's frequently been possessed or targeted for possession by powerful interdimensional beings, and she's had at times powers to change all of her own universe's reality.

I'm one hundred percent certain that Agatha came here to get access to the Nexus or she already was its guardian--and that something beyond one of the doors or portals in the Nexus drew Wanda to the Nexus when she was gripped by despair and anger over SWORD messing around with the Vision's corpse. I still think is a good candidate for that something, but would be another. I guess if they're going with the Nexus, the third possibility would be  whose M.O. is pretty well given away by his name--.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:20:12 PM by Khaldun »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #169 on: February 19, 2021, 08:13:21 PM

Since we've now confirmed that the Nexus is involved, it gave me another thought. I'm pretty sure this will NOT be happening but it'd be an interesting twist.

I love a show that gets me invested enough to come up with nerd theories.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: February 19, 2021, 08:15:14 PM

definitely fits the TV motif, so why not--he could just as easily fit the role of "powerful extradimensional being who came in through the Nexus", with a slightly different motivation than
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 09:42:09 AM by Khaldun »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: February 20, 2021, 06:13:11 AM

I seriously doubt that they are going to throw in another "bad guy nobody has ever heard of" into the mix at this point. Everyone is acting like the whole Agatha Harkness reveal was obvious but 99% of the people watching have never heard of her. Stop thinking like comic book readers.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: February 20, 2021, 06:24:50 AM

Also worth saying the MCU has never really gone in for super clever endings.

There is likely to be a focus on running and explosions from this point on with limited screentime for exposition.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: February 20, 2021, 08:20:43 AM

Also worth saying the MCU has never really gone in for super clever endings.

There is likely to be a focus on running and explosions from this point on with limited screentime for exposition.

Counterpoint: The MCU has also never done anything like Wandavision before. I think that means all bets are off for this show. Though you're probably right.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: February 20, 2021, 09:41:35 AM

Here's the things that have appeared in this show so far that no one but comic nerds had ever heard of:

SWORD
Billy and Tommy aka Wiccan and Speed
Quicksilver from another reality
Photon/Spectrum (Monica Rambeau's superpowered alter ego)
Agatha Harkness
(Probably) the Nexus of All Realities (another reason to think it's the Nexus: the swampy tendrils on the walls on the way in)

etc.
hardly seems like "Oh my god, they would never do anything throw a bad guy in that no one has ever heard of".

That said, I think this is why the Dormammu guess is still a pretty good one and makes this an effective lead into the Doctor Strange movie. (I will also not be at all surprised if Strange shows up in the last episode.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: WandaVision  
Jump to: