Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 252431 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1330 on: March 21, 2022, 11:43:39 AM

TO THE MOON!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1331 on: March 21, 2022, 12:47:45 PM

So far everyplace in the US that has dropped mandates and looked like they were headed TO THE MOON has ended up with an elevated but still manageable (<1.0) transmission rate.  It might not last, of course, but the terrain does seem to have changed since the previous attempts at pretending everything is normal that ended up killing thousands of people.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1332 on: March 21, 2022, 06:57:29 PM

I have covid. Tested positive this morning along with my 2-year-old son who likely brought it to us from daycare. Wife didn't go with us for a test, but assume she has it too... there's no isolating from a toddler. Both of us adults are triple vaxed. I feel quite sick but not alarmingly so.

Suspected it yesterday on my bicycle. Heart rate 150bpm felt like 170bpm, so much so that I thought the heart rate monitor was faulty. Then I reached a small hill and couldn't continue. Knew there was something wrong with me, and knew there had been a covid case at daycare.

We got through covid, I think.

Toddler is back at daycare. I think he's more affected consuming by endless iPad and TV while we were sick, than by the virus itself. My wife has had bad headaches since recovering, but she's doing better than me.

Tested myself with RATs three times:
Day 1: faint positive (confirmed with PCR test)
Day 11: strong positive
Day 15: negative

My breathing is reduced. I'm wheezy and have to take asthma medication that I haven't needed in years. My doctor said last week I had a secondary infection and gave me antibiotics, which finish today, but I'll need the asthma meds for the foreseeable future.

It feels like it will take a while before I fully recover. Five days ago, on my first Zwift bike ride since I got sick, my heart rate shot up 10bpm higher than what should be my max heart rate, so I had to back off completely and go very slowly to the end.

On the second ride (three days ago) I started slow and stayed at tempo, which means a moderate heart rate the whole way. Before I got sick I was planning to do the A or B grade ride for the challenge, but after covid I finished 196th out of 212 riders on the short C grade ride. Currently there's no way I could climb the steep mountain in the A or B ride that gave me no trouble in early March. But yesterday I tried the C grade ride again and came 160th out of 217, so I might be improving.

I'm sleeping longer and more deeply, according to the tracker on my watch. Longer phases of deep sleep plus a good amount of REM, suggesting my body is working on healing. I think it's also tiring for my body to have to put slightly more effort into breathing. I fall asleep easily.

My weirdest symptom during early covid was flatulence. For the first three days I farted like I'd eaten five cans of beans for dinner (I hadn't). Diarrhea is supposed to be an early symptom of a bad case of covid, so I wondered if my digestive symptom had manifested a different way. Many people say they have violent digestive symptoms at the end of covid too, and I reckon this was the case for my little son.... he seemed to go through some discomfort and then two visits to the toilet in quick succession, and then he was fine.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1333 on: March 21, 2022, 07:19:41 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised that our rates haven't gone back up to the moon, but the Omicron tidal wave does seem to have burned itself out a little bit quicker than the other surges did. The climb was quicker, so I guess the dropoff is quicker too. I'm hoping for another week of sub-200 cases per day in the state to maybe head back to restaurants, the gym and movies, masked as much as I can be.

I cannot, however, help but feel incredibly paranoid that the next surge is going to be worse. Maybe it's just the last two years of watching our state health department keep slamming into the wall trying to pretend like this thing is over when it's clearly not.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1334 on: March 22, 2022, 10:08:38 AM

The US is still waiting for our Omicron BA.2 sub-linage wave to hit. It's gone from like 7% of total cases to 14% to 30% in the last 3 weeks so we're getting to that point where things will start spiking like it already has been in Europe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1335 on: March 22, 2022, 10:23:40 PM

The US is still waiting for our Omicron BA.2 sub-linage wave to hit. It's gone from like 7% of total cases to 14% to 30% in the last 3 weeks so we're getting to that point where things will start spiking like it already has been in Europe.

It was here for a short while co-existing with Omicron. It never overtook. I'm not entirely sure it can at this point, but who fuckin knows. No one wears masks anymore. We're just headed towards disaster with cruise control on.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1336 on: March 23, 2022, 08:21:29 AM

It was here for a short while co-existing with Omicron. It never overtook.

You might be thinking of BA.1, which I guess didn't quite make it to all parts of the US (although overall it's still one of the more prevalent Omicron subvariants).  BA.2 has just been making steady gains and is still in the process of overtaking the other Omicron variants.

Click image for source, where you can also filter by region.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1337 on: April 19, 2022, 01:39:07 AM

4th maderna shot in for me and the fiance...  guessing this will be an every 6 month thing at this rate.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:46:52 AM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1338 on: June 07, 2022, 07:42:23 AM

Wife tested positive with an at home test Sunday after testing negative on Friday night - she took it on Friday after bitching about a sore throat. Saturday she was in bed all day and took the next test Sunday morning which was positive - and she has developed a pretty bad runny nose in addition to the coughing. Took mine an hour later and negative.

And right on queue, I starting developing a cough last night and am achy and coughing today. Going for official PCRs later today to get it into my medical record in case I need to take time off work. Nagging dry cough is a pain in the ass but no effect on taking full deep breaths.

Thankfully full vax'd so should be a rest of the week thing then exiting this weekend. Going to be very attentive to long hauler Sx's from here though.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1339 on: June 09, 2022, 09:48:07 AM

Feel better!

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1340 on: November 28, 2022, 02:10:09 PM

Wrapping up a third trip with this fucker. I have no idea where I got it from this time, maybe a hockey game? I got my second booster on Monday last week along with flu vaccine and by end of day Tuesday I was not well. I know CDC says you can't get covid from the vaccine but the timing is odd.

I had taken last week off work to get some stuff done around the house and didn't get a damn thing done.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1341 on: November 28, 2022, 02:17:23 PM

Your body takes some time to build up antibodies and other immune responses from vaccines. So you could still get the flu or COVID shortly after a shot. It could also be getting both shots at the same time caused more severe side effects.

https://www.businessinsider.com/omicron-booster-flu-shot-side-effects-2022-10

While Ros came away from her experience feeling fine, others who doubled up on their winter vaccines told Insider they had more severe side effects, including fever, headache, and nausea.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1342 on: November 28, 2022, 04:39:23 PM

My wife got both COVID booster bivalent and the flu shot on the same day and she was wrecked by the evening and completely useless the next day, but was fine after that. I spaced mine out getting the flu shot on a Tuesday and then the COVID booster that following Saturday and did way better.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: November 28, 2022, 05:00:26 PM

I got the bivalent shot Wednesday before last. Just had a sinus headache and was tired the next day and a half.

Tuesday afternoon last week I started coughing pretty bad and getting sinus drainage, Wednesday morning took at home COVID test that came up negative. Went to the store, got some nyquil/dayquil and Thursday morning was still feeling pretty rough so postponed my Thanksgiving dinner with my mom until Saturday. Have been mostly dealing with sneezing, some mild cough, and sinus drainage/stuffiness since.

Went into get a PCR test at the U today, and it is actually COVID.

More than 130 negative PCR tests over the last 2+ years and the first one I get after getting the mRNA vaccine comes up positive. Sigh.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1344 on: November 28, 2022, 05:59:41 PM

Covid shot plus flu shot on the same day is bad times.  I did the first booster shot with a flu shot chaser, learned my lesson, and this time I got the bivalent booster on its own -- no side effects at all.  +1 for "space that shit out."

I don't expect my luck to last forever, but I'm still getting a negative PCR result each week.  The suspense is horrible.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: November 28, 2022, 06:06:12 PM

I did the first booster with my flu shot and that was at least for me a Bad Idea. This year I separated out the latest booster and the flu shot and no problem.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1346 on: November 29, 2022, 07:28:55 AM

I did both at the same time, it was ok
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1347 on: November 30, 2022, 09:46:29 PM

The wife got both at the same time. The next day she ran seven miles instead of 10.

Got my fifth shot last week. Two weeks after my flu shot because I'm nowhere near the badass she is.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1348 on: December 01, 2022, 06:42:49 AM

The bivalent booster kicked my butt like every covid vax shot thus far. Got the flu shot in the other arm and barely noticed it.

My 6G wifi is fucking great tho.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1349 on: December 01, 2022, 08:44:55 PM

Bivalent was super light but I took the next day off anyway just in case. Probably the one that kicked my ass the least.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: December 02, 2022, 05:14:00 AM

Bivalent was super light but I took the next day off anyway just in case. Probably the one that kicked my ass the least.

Pfizer?

My wife had no issues with the Moderna which was her original 2 dose and booster, but the bivalent she got was Pfizer and that is when she hit trouble.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1351 on: December 02, 2022, 08:41:35 PM

Five straight Moderna. Dance with the one that brung ya.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: December 03, 2022, 06:35:28 AM

Can't argue with that. Though I have had all Pfizer and had some pretty rough reactions to most of them. Wife had all Moderna up until the bivalent booster, and didn't have any problems until the Pfizer.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1353 on: December 04, 2022, 04:30:12 PM

Can't argue with that. Though I have had all Pfizer and had some pretty rough reactions to most of them. Wife had all Moderna up until the bivalent booster, and didn't have any problems until the Pfizer.
pure anecdata

we call moderna the dirty hitter out here because everyone that went that route got all fucked up and no one did from pfizer, so
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1354 on: December 04, 2022, 04:44:29 PM

Moderna continues to be the larger dose compared to Pfizer (50 mcg vs 30 mcg for bivalents). Just based on that alone you would expect a higher rate of side effects compared to Pfizer and that is/was in fact the case for the original double doses:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/7/22371665/covid-vaccine-side-effects-moderna-pfizer

And the monovalent boosters (100 vs 30):

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7039e4.htm?s_cid=mm7039e4_w#F1_down

The bivalents are too new for this sort of data yet, but given the dosage difference I would expect similar results.

Edit: this is the US dosing schedule:

https://www.idsociety.org/covid-19-real-time-learning-network/vaccines/vaccine-dosing--schedule/#

Fixed the monovalent booster dosage difference.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:46:45 PM by Trippy »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: December 04, 2022, 05:03:47 PM

I have had one bad reaction--to Moderna booster plus flu shot at the same time. Otherwise pretty easy.

The thing that is freaking me out is that I have now been unmasked in close quarters multiple times with people who a day or two later were covid positive and I still haven't ever had covid (to my knowledge). I don't know if I'm lucky as fuck, if I have a blessed immune system, if the vaccines are just working beautifully with me, or what.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1356 on: December 04, 2022, 06:38:44 PM

IIRC the vaccines give you pretty strong resistance to infection for a few months before the initial surge of antibodies wanes.  If you had a shot between two weeks and two months ago and you're in generally good health you have a decent chance of repelling Corona-chan before she breaches the outer perimeter.  Or at least escaping without serious symptoms (and if you aren't doing PCR tests a few days after each possible exposure there's of course no observable difference between those scenarios).

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1357 on: December 04, 2022, 07:02:49 PM

None of the vaccines/boosters have done anything to me I could reasonably differentiate from simple allergies. Itchy eyeballs, runny nose, maybe some soreness that could just be torn muscle at the injection site because I tensed up a bit. The very first Pfizer shot made me feel kind of crappy for half a day.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1358 on: December 04, 2022, 08:53:11 PM

pure anecdata

we call moderna the dirty hitter out here because everyone that went that route got all fucked up and no one did from pfizer, so

Moderna kicked my ass every time but the bivalent. That was a cakewalk.

The wife was Pfizer across the board and they all hit her less hard.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: December 05, 2022, 09:09:04 AM

I've been collecting the vaccines like pokemon so far - Sinopharm, Sinopharm, Janssen, Pfizer. (alas, as much as I want to get Moderna to complete the collection, it is super rare/expensive over here, so the next vac will probably be bivalent Pfizer).

Of these, Janssen gave me the worst ass-kicking by far (basically turned into a zombie for a day or so), wonder if that's related to it being a single-dose vac...

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1360 on: December 05, 2022, 09:27:26 AM

Mine have all been Pfizer, so I'm guessing Moderna would've killed me outright.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1361 on: December 05, 2022, 11:09:34 AM

Two doses of Janssen/J&J, basically just a sore arm.

One bivalent Moderna, headache and tired the next day. Plus I got COVID less than a week later, which has sucked.

Also my wifi signal has not gotten better :(

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1362 on: December 05, 2022, 01:50:12 PM

Straight moderna. Ass kicked every time. Still no COVID.

Kid's looking like he brought it home today, so that's probably done.

-Rasix
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: December 05, 2022, 10:56:28 PM

4 times straight Moderna, out for a day or two every time, my arm swelled up only once.

Got Corona about a month after the 4th time, but it was such a mild case that I could work from home the entire time and only had sleep a few hours more than normal. About as bad as a cold I would say.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 11:00:14 PM by Tebonas »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1364 on: December 11, 2022, 12:00:34 PM

3 Pfizer and then Moderna for the bi-valent here. As far as I know I've dodged COVID for 3 straight years which is a miracle as I work on a college campus.

I got extended family who've caught it 3 times and outside of losing their smell on #1 for a few months they've had zero long-term complications otherwise. Everyone I know who suffered permanent damage caught it pre-vaccine.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: