Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Brad McQuaid has passed away. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brad McQuaid has passed away.  (Read 9106 times)
schild
Administrator

on: November 19, 2019, 05:48:35 PM

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:11:04 PM

Bummer. I hope it wasn't the obvious.

-Rasix
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 06:20:44 PM

Sad day.  I've been following Pantheon pretty closely.  Recently, he started posting bizarre, lengthy, stream of consciousness-style posts on the forums.  The first thing I thought after "what a shame" is that I fear it was an overdose.  What a targedy for his family.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:33:24 PM

Spent far too much of my life in EQ back in the early days.  Lots of good memories (along with some bad).  Sorry to hear he passed
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 06:07:30 AM

St Peter wondering what a camp check is all of a sudden
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 08:08:10 AM

As one of those who loved EQ and also Vanguard, this makes me especially sad.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 08:29:49 AM

I have conflicting feelings about my time in EQ. There were a lot of great moments in EQ with a lot of gameplay that was completely new. It could instill sense of awe that has never been duplicated. It also was a complete time sucker, and the amount of personal misery that game could inflict was intense. My roomie almost lost what the relationship that would be his eventual marriage due to his inability to stop playing EQ.

Sucks that he could never recapture the magic.

-Rasix
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 09:24:23 AM

EQ was special.

All the hours I logged in DAoC, Shadowbane, AO, SWG (actually not much here), WoW (by far, probably most played), I vaguely remember only small bits of those but I still have vivid memories of Qeynos, Freeport, Highhold Keep/Pass, N/W/E/S Karanas, etc... ...of PvP server, race war (or whatever it was called) server.

That's like 20 years ago.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:56:40 AM

I met my wife playing EQ.

While it was an addiction at times it was healthier than some others I could have pursued.  The scale of the game has yet to be recreated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:08:40 AM by UnsGub »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 11:23:11 AM

EQ is second only to UO for memorable moments. If there were an offline version that wasn't too mangled, I'd probably jump in from time to time...until the time sink eventually wore me out. Then again, if you could tweak the xp progression higher than 'cat ass', it still might warm the cockles to grab a spider eye and rp a human monk in the Karanas again.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 06:14:32 PM

EQ is second only to UO for memorable moments.

That sounds about right, with a few Shadowbane memories in a close third (House Daenyr represent!). I still remember individual groups I played in for a night in EQ when I was leveling my enchanter. I miss gameplay that actually rewarded people who didn't have their heads in their asses. A good enchanter or a twisting bard could make groups just cruise.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 04:45:23 AM

I will always recall Everquest's customer service when he was at the head of it.

The stories were horrifying and right up there with reading about Centrelink.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 04:48:48 AM

I never dived deep into EQ. I played at release but I went back to the MUDs that I had played for years and years after. I think I was playing the one that Brad had played quite a bit before EQ. As much as Brad was a whack job and he moved a genre forward a birthed a game genre and I can respect him for that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 08:08:31 AM

I know a guy who lost his job because of EQ. As a player, not in the parking lot.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 08:47:50 AM

I was making some side cash selling EQ sashes and swords and crap on ebay. Had a bunch of spawns on lockdown on my server, it was steady income. A buddy of mine was going through hard times, so I showed him how to farm successfully and sell it on ebay. A couple weeks later, his wife is super pissed at me for showing him that. I was confused, as I figured they could use a few extra hundred bucks a week.

Turns out the kid did the exact opposite and was buying items on ebay. And he dropped $400 for a manastone....and got stiffed.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Poor decision making isn't limited to the physical world.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 06:26:40 PM

EQ sucked me in further than any other game and my fondness for it is only surpassed by Diablo 1.  All the turmoil and drama surrounding McQuaid aside he gave many of the people in this world a cherished experience.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 08:16:45 PM

EQ wasn't my first or last foray into MMOs, but it was the one that was most memorable and left the most lasting impressions.

Through the cat-assing and shitty grind were some amazing times.

- The long walk from Qeynos to Freeport with my half-elf ranger at level 12. Harrowing as fuck.
- Opening all the new zones, from Velious to LDON.
- Falling asleep during a City of Mist raid while auto-following the CC enchanter and waking up being one of the only two survivors after a massive wipe and still getting my component for my ranger epic.  awesome, for real
- Spamming the chat with the "Gozer the Traveller" speech from Ghostbusters whenever I logged on and getting greeted with cheers.
- Blaming Meemers every time Prexus went down.

I'll pour out a bit of my next martini for Brad.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 05:02:18 AM

Kinda sad that I missed Everquest and only got to know of Brad when he had entered his nuts phase. Still, even I have to recognise his legacy. Rest in Peace.

Hic sunt dracones.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 05:31:23 PM

As much as I hated the grind, mudflation, and the asymmetrical ability to solo and generate money among classes (rogues were...tough), the game still produced plenty of memories.

- forced grouping was new, and rather welcome at first. Getting orc belts and trading them with a player for banded gear was fun. *Stealing* the belts as a rogue was better.
 - A few items were memorable - that dirk from the Freeport desert, the haste sash, the first rogue epic.
 - The first open raids to Plane of Hate really did feel pretty epic.
 - Some later raid in which the entire 40-man group or whatever wiped...except for my rogue. I did the corpse retrieval.
 - Exploring places I had no business being, while being far underleveled. The first foray into Kiticor Forest was nerve-wracking. General stealth shenanigans.
 - While forced grouping for a rogue could be a pain, when you had a good group, it felt *good*.

I'm sure there are others, but these are what immediately comes to mind.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 07:22:15 PM

That one rogue that broke into Plane of Hate to get a foothold for his guild and then got chain killed so much that he lost like three levels.

Epic because it wasn’t me.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 07:57:12 PM

Deleveling so much that you couldn't get back in and get your corpse was the worst! awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 07:58:15 PM

Didn't you use monks for the Hate break-in? It's been a long time since I ran one and I only think I did 3 or 4 of them.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 08:02:41 PM

My guild usually went in with a couple of small groups to do the break-in and also camped out a rez-stick cleric and monk if there was a wipe. Even after the break-in, though, inevitably somebody would sit too close to one of the walls and aggro mobs through there which would lead to some desperate fights in the break-in room. Good times...
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 08:14:15 PM

That one rogue that broke into Plane of Hate to get a foothold for his guild and then got chain killed so much that he lost like three levels.

Epic because it wasn’t me.

It scared the shit out of me to have a 7-day corpse rot timer ticking on my warrior and all his gear in Plane of Fear, hoping some poor monk can drag my corpse out of danger... until suddenly the relief of a "do you accept this rez", clicking Yes and "loading please wait", then dragging my corpse up the zone wall naked, as a fully-spawned set of creatures that could wipe you all in an instant follows its patrol paths nearby. There was nothing like it. Loot dispenser games that "listen to the players" are not the same. I don't want what I would say I want in a survey. Give me my money's worth in adrenaline.

Even when that rogue on our server lost his corpse twice over, the fun and fulfilment was in re-equipping him, and the times we had grouping with him to get him new stuff.

- The long walk from Qeynos to Freeport with my half-elf ranger at level 12. Harrowing as fuck.

I first experienced that as a human monk of about that level, but from Freeport to Qeynos. It blew my mind; the fear of having to cross the Karanas without aggroing a giant. And it was pitch black at night because I was human!

But the most memorable trip was when we started a massive new Australian guild (catering to our time zone) on the newest server, meaning everything was fully spawned. I rerolled as a troll warrior and levelled up fast due to the innate regen, but as a troll you're KOS to just about everything. I was needed by the new guild who were based at Qeynos so I had to get through Innothule Swamp, Rathe Mountains, swim Lake Rathetear, cross the Karanas (trolls are KOS to aviaks), Butcherblock mountains and into Qeynos, avoiding all the patrolling human guards.

A bind out of range of the guards from the only level 12 caster, and then into Qeynos sewers, the only safe place for a troll, where it said on the wall "ARADUNE IS STINKY".

I've been watching and reflecting on this thread and Brad's death, and it seems to me he is perhaps the flawed genius who had the biggest impact on my adult life, for better (these experiences) or worse (I was so addicted to MMOs I threw up on the floor in revulsion at myself). I've spent so much time trying to recapture the things I had in EverQuest. I'll never have them again, and as a new father now I can't even commit the time and I'm not sure I'd want to lead my kid down this path, but in every new game I become an explorer, searching out the frontiers that will fill me with awe before they become a mechanical, underappreciated part of someone's grind to level 90. Brad McQuaid and his dev teams made fantasy experiences real to me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 09:32:13 PM

worse (I was so addicted to MMOs I threw up on the floor in revulsion at myself)

hol up
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 10:41:24 PM

worse (I was so addicted to MMOs I threw up on the floor in revulsion at myself)

hol up

For years I would always drive home from work intending to get some exercise, make a good meal, get some sleep... but always log on "just to check my messages/character/auctions/whatever" and not log off until 4am, then go to work again. Every day. Quit my job "to go freelance" but spend all day gaming instead. Started running out of money and need a job again, but failed to apply for jobs because sitting at a computer meant I eventually loaded the game. I would miss real life events with family and friends with lame excuses. Sixteen years on, my sister still worries I'm going to arrive two hours late (hasn't happened that whole time).

One day after sitting at the PC all day I just felt such despair about what I had become that I slid off my chair onto the floor, wept, and then suddenly I threw up on the cheap fake floorboards of my crappy apartment. I consider that the point where I started looking for a job again for real, getting out on my bicycle every evening, renewing my life outside MMOs. But I was also having a great time in the games I played and I can separate that from the lack of balance in my life in those days. There's more balance now (a decade in my job, a house, a wife, a son, a gaming PC on a 4K TV and many posts on f13) but like any form of addict I always feel it pulling me back. I want to be in the EverQuest that was. My brain likes it there.

I'm not the only one who could tell a ridiculous story of letting MMOs take over your life and struggling to change it. Effects on jobs and relationships have already been mentioned. We're mourning a guy who reputedly struggled with drug addiction while creating these addictive, escapist games, and I wonder if these things have something in common.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 01:09:05 PM

That's legit wild to me. I want to hear more. Where are you people. Surely we have more here.

Edit: And yeah, drug addict makes virtual drug is a straight line.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 05:43:16 PM

It is a miracle my wife put up with my unemployed MMO playing ass, the dot com bust coinciding with EQ addiction was not a pretty sight.  I think I was playing 80 hours a week or more, chain smoking and drinking 15 diet sodas a day I must have looked like a complete junky.  This period lasted for just short of 2 years.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 06:14:09 PM

That's legit wild to me. I want to hear more. Where are you people. Surely we have more here.
Sure, I'll bite. I missed the boat on EQ1 (PC couldn't handle it) but was always fascinated with the stories my friends told. When EQ2 and WoW were about to come out, my friend group was split between the two. I went with EQ2 and catassed it like crazy; after the first few days of prelaunch and into launch, I saw that I was at the head of the pack level-wise. My friend and I realized that we could potentially be server-first to 50 of our classes so we decided to go for it. We were ordering Bawls energy drinks by the case, playing into the early hours of the morning, falling asleep at the keyboard sometimes. I was like 7th overall to 50 on my server, first of my class (Warlock, Blackburrow). We did a little bit of raiding but the itemization was always fucked and there wasn't that much content at launch, so we hopped to WoW.

After slogging through the painfully slow level grind, I realized I liked the battlegrounds a lot since I'd never really played anything like them. So, I catassed my way to rank 14 which was a much worse grind than anything I've ever done before or since. The importance of time played over any other factor (honorable kills, BG wins) and the fact that you weren't competing against your enemies but your allies really made it suck. PVP rank back then was determined solely by honor earned per week, compared to everyone else on your faction (horde/alliance) on your server. To hit Rank 14 you needed to be in the top 5 for like 10 weeks, then #1 for 3 more weeks after that (numbers may be off because it's been forever but the point is made). This meant that in the hours before server reset, you were running around inspecting all the other hardcore PVPers on your server and comparing your honor to theirs; if you had a good lead, you could go to sleep. If you didn't, you had to requeue and hope they went to bed. It was easily the most stressful thing I've ever been through in a video game, and has basically ruined battlegrounds and other organized PVP for me in any MMO since.

The only saving grace at the time was that I always had RL friends playing with me, so whenever we got burnt out we still had each other to hang out with. I was living at home the whole time, working a shitty night shift security job. My diet was almost exclusively frozen pizza or fast food, usually only one or maybe two meals a day; any more would cut into grinding time.

Years later when WotLK came out, I dove back in hard because my now-ex girlfriend got into it too. Ended up with a pretty decent raiding guild and raided 3-6 nights a week for the latter half of WotLK and all of Cataclysm. By then, WoW was basically the only thing our relationship had, we didn't do much else. The guild had 3 10-man raid crews, 2 of which I ran, and a 25 man, so it was constant cat-herding. I was still working nights mostly, so we raided from 11p-3a. When the final raid of Cataclysm came out, we killed the final boss on the first week before a single reset, and I was just done. I couldn't imagine banging my head against a wall to clear hardmodes again, just to have it all replaced by greens in the next expansion. I told the guild we wouldn't be raiding anymore, everyone either quit the game too or moved on to guilds that were still raiding (one RL friend who was in my guild continued his own raiding guild from then until Classic came out). Gf and I broke up about a month later.

I resubbed for a few weeks when Pandaria came out, but didn't let myself get sucked back in. I haven't been back since. I've learned to watch when MMOs get their hooks in, and as a result I mostly play solo when I do play them.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 09:04:43 PM

It is a miracle my wife put up with my unemployed MMO playing ass, the dot com bust coinciding with EQ addiction was not a pretty sight.  I think I was playing 80 hours a week or more, chain smoking and drinking 15 diet sodas a day I must have looked like a complete junky.  This period lasted for just short of 2 years.

That was me from 23 to 27 or so

because  you know

i was ~25 years old the fuck else am I gonna do? drink? yeah did that when I wasn't playing games
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #30 on: November 28, 2019, 06:51:03 AM

Sounds like me with Planetside.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 09:01:47 AM

First got into EQ senior year of high school, after tearing through BG2. Almost failed AP biology because I couldn't be bothered with the work, but in retrospect it was a good escape from a shit home life. I remember I was playing EQ (doing market stuff in Freeport) in the middle of the day when 9/11 hit and saw the chatter start in game before turning the news on. I stopped for a bit, then got back into it later. Grades suffered a bit again. Later got into EQ2 and WoW, but then didn't have quite the same effect.

At this point I just cannot be bothered with such games. At this point, on average I play something maybe 1 or 2 nights a week.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 08:21:21 PM

The Jedi grind in SWG cost me a relationship, but in the end that was probably a good thing.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 29, 2019, 08:41:52 PM

I was definitely addicted to EQ. I used to drive home 20 minutes from work for my lunch break to play 20 minutes then drive back. Quit several times but kept getting sucked back in.  Managed not to lose my job over it, dot-com bust took care of that for me. SWG was almost as bad, but it was broken enough that I managed to escape that addiction even before the NGE.  I've played a lot of other MMOs and other games, and put way too much time into most of them, but none ever got their hooks in me to the same extent as those two. And now the thought of playing EQ again makes me physically nauseous. I think it's my body's defense against getting re-addicted. I do dabble with EQ2 and TSW or WoW for a bit every couple of years, but as soon as I hit any grind at all I'll lose interest and drop it.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: November 29, 2019, 09:27:11 PM

This is the best possible thing this thread could have turned into. I'm proud of all of you.

Not because you kicked some random addiction though.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Brad McQuaid has passed away.  
Jump to: