Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of the Dragon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: House of the Dragon  (Read 5848 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 07, 2022, 11:35:29 AM

I'm really enjoying this and I didn't actually expect to.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: October 07, 2022, 12:00:43 PM

The show has gotten way way way better since the time jump.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 10:58:09 AM

Just give Paddy Considine all the Emmys.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 03:24:13 PM

He's done a fantastic job giving depth to a character who might otherwise have come off like a dull chump.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 10, 2022, 03:32:31 PM

That said I certainly hope he is actually fucking dead this time, I've thought he died every single episode since week 2.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 10, 2022, 08:04:23 PM

It took me a while to even notice in a previous episode that he had lost an arm.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 08:08:25 PM

There is the best show on tv and then there's everyone else. And its not even close.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #42 on: October 11, 2022, 08:44:38 AM

Yeah, this is better than any of the other fantasy shit that's come out in the last year or so by miles.  I read the book earlier this year so knew it was going to start slow because there is a lot of setup involved to get all the characters and factions into place.  But just as I hoped, it's getting better episode by episode as they speed towards the main event.  The book format of being a historical narration of what happened really does make it great adaptation material.  Martin sketched out a very War of the Rose's succession battle with lots of fun back and forth, and now the show runners have all the leeway to fill in the details while following that plot.  Having said that, I'm pretty bummed that Miguel Sapochnik announced he's stepping away as show runner.  Other than the fact it's always concerning to see the show runner get changed on a show you like, he was the guy who directed all the the best action episodes in the last season or two of GoT's, and season 2 would be glorious with him in charge.  Oh well, maybe they can bring him back to direct.

And yes, Paddy Considine did a great job with the character.  You really feel for him, even though he obviously was not the right man for the job.  Also liked how they were consistent in that no matter how brutal and envious Daemon has been over the years, even after getting pushed out from being next in succession despite that being the norm under law, he always remained faithful to his brother.  Faults and all.  Good character building.

Though I swear to god I feel like I'm watching John Adams as played by Paul Giamatti, but now he's been made a king.  Character and acting seem really similar to me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #43 on: October 11, 2022, 04:59:57 PM

Took me until yesterday to realize that PC was one of the Andy's.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 14, 2022, 01:17:29 AM

Just binged to get up to date on this.

Surprised me how good it is.

The one thing I really did not like is the very last scene in episode 8.

I don't think they needed miscommunication as a plot device.

Throughout I'd say they sometimes put one line of dialog too many to explain the plot or someone's thoughts. But on the whole it's great.

Confidence with which they handle the time jumps is especially great.

I think they are going to miss Sapochnik though. Every episode has his rhythm running right through it. It isn't just that he did many of the best action episodes on GoT, hes also great at pacing the rest of the show, and his ability to present KL as an actual place and avoid it feeling like a thing that only exists to serve plot is a real asset here.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2022, 01:46:47 AM

Yeah, I'm nervous about him leaving, but oh well.

And agree on that last scene.  I really hope they don't make shit hit the fan because the two girls made up, but then suddenly one misunderstands a prophecy she heard from a dying old man.  In the book it's just the increasing tension, hatred, paranoia, and bouts of violence over two decades between the two sides of the family which leads to irrevocable differences by the time of succession.  And they've been building up to that very well, but then this....

Also, lol, I only just realized that was Laenor running off with Qarl at the end of the other episode, and they faked his death.  Qarl actually killed him in the book.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 01:54:56 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 14, 2022, 02:57:09 AM

Yeah, I'm nervous about him leaving, but oh well.

And agree on that last scene.  I really hope they don't make shit hit the fan because the two girls made up, but then suddenly one misunderstands a prophecy she heard from a dying old man.  In the book it's just the increasing tension, hatred, paranoia, and bouts of violence over two decades between the two sides of the family which leads to irrevocable differences by the time of succession.  And they've been building up to that very well, but then this....

Also, lol, I only just realized that was Laenor running off with Qarl at the end of the other episode, and they faked his death.  Qarl actually killed him in the book.

The fact the princess and queen had personally made up didn't remotely prevent them going to war in my view.

I think they can turn it around if they play it as Alicent using it as an excuse rather than becoming a true believer.

The whole show has a done a really good job with everyone loving and hating everyone else at the same time.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:00:18 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 14, 2022, 07:15:26 AM

They have apparently done a few things to whitewash the blacks, which is understandable as Rhaenyra is really the main character.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 16, 2022, 06:36:41 AM

I didn't think the miscommunication mattered all that much because the two factions are completely aligned for war otherwise. Otto Hightower and his two grandsons would override Alicent in any event. Alicent wants to be convinced to fight.

This last episode was terrific. The scene in the throneroom was just great ("he can keep his tongue" is going to become one of Those Quotes that everyone remembers) and so was the dinner scene.

One thing I appreciate is that in a subtle way the show is also demonstrating how badly things have run down by the time of the main Song of Fire and Ice books--everybody is MUCH more reluctant to engage in poisonings, assassinations, murder and so on; the power and majesty of the Targaryens overall looms over everything in Westeros. Alicent is genuinely horrified and disgusted by her eldest son; compare to Cersei's relative indifference to Joffrey's conduct (well, Cersei is no stranger to perversity, after all).
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 16, 2022, 07:39:31 AM

Yeah, the show has done a really good job with that.  The book also emphasized that this point (actually, basically right up to this last episode) is the absolute height of Targ power in Westeros.  It's all down hill from here, even if the downhill takes another few hundred years to hit bottom.

-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 18, 2022, 04:12:38 PM

I am gonna be so bummed when dragons start dropping.

I am the .00000001428%
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #51 on: October 23, 2022, 08:43:23 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #52 on: October 23, 2022, 09:29:44 PM

Well that was a helluva setup for season 2.

I like that the dragons finally got to do something on their own (i.e. against the commands of their riders) that has plot significance.  They teased that a bit with "none of these dragons have been to war," and it suggests that figuring out how to use the dragons effectively will be crucial in what's to come.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 24, 2022, 10:31:28 AM

RIP Arrax, that was even more brutal than i thought it would be.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 25, 2022, 09:29:15 AM

Well that was a helluva setup for season 2.

I like that the dragons finally got to do something on their own (i.e. against the commands of their riders) that has plot significance.  They teased that a bit with "none of these dragons have been to war," and it suggests that figuring out how to use the dragons effectively will be crucial in what's to come.
Not to spoiler, but heh, yeah.  Dragon on Dragon action doesn't work out the way a lot of people hope for.

Having said that, interesting how they made it like it was an accident in the Episode.  In the book Aemond specifically chased after him from Storms End to kill him over the whole eye thing.  Guess that makes this a bit more interesting and gives more depth to Aemond than just being super evil mean guy.

Ughh, sucks to have to wait for the next season, this was far better than I'd hoped.  Looking forward to seeing Cregan Stark and the other northern characters.

-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 25, 2022, 10:55:25 AM

The books are history books told through unreliable narrators, this is made fairly clear by having alternate versions of several key events. They have A LOT of leeway with how they choose to interpret the story.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #56 on: October 25, 2022, 10:59:48 AM

Yeah, "Aemond chased after him to kill him" is definitely the way that the Blacks will interpret it, since the only person who might say differently is Aemond.  The Baratheons would back that version of events since they're going to be eager to make sure as little blame sticks to them as possible.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 25, 2022, 11:27:03 PM

Man, I fucking loved the last sequences of the last episode, starting with the Borros visit.  Holy shit.  Vhaegar is just terrifyingly big.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #58 on: October 30, 2022, 06:27:57 AM

I spent the last three and a half weeks in Kenya without streaming services (other than pre-downloaded stuff I took with me). On my limited internet connection, I read all the spoilers and episode summaries while House of the Dragon continued without me.

I returned to Australia on Friday and binged episodes 7-10. Even though I knew everything that was coming, I was riveted. The acting and production was so excellent and the episodes so well put together that I didn't even care that I'd read spoilers. It was awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: House of the Dragon  
Jump to: