Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Disco Elysium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disco Elysium  (Read 33874 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #70 on: November 02, 2019, 05:03:07 PM

I really enjoyed the game until the final stretch then it good pretty bad, unfortunately.

That was a pretty big let down to be honest. Especially in comparison to how strong the game was before that and how many different options it gave you to solve quests.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 02, 2019, 05:11:44 PM

Oh, twitch the mechanic, not the streaming service

The rest of your post is just patently untrue.

I appreciate Schild's intensity of enthusiasm for the things he likes. I am not sure he fully appreciates sometimes that the things he likes are plausibly unlikeable. But then he wouldn't have the entertaining and vividly-expressed enthusiasm for the well-liked things, in all likelihood.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 02, 2019, 05:58:42 PM

I don’t know if I like this.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 02, 2019, 07:21:05 PM

You had to be there.  Someone many years back made some thread about SWG, it was getting twitch added in, the bees knees and all that.

And also, Schild hates absolutely everything, until there is something he likes and then that is the best thing ever and everyone else is wrong because reasons.  Apparently DE is that thing just now.

Ok, it's not a meme but it might as well be!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 03, 2019, 08:54:34 AM

Oh, twitch the mechanic, not the streaming service

The rest of your post is just patently untrue.

I appreciate Schild's intensity of enthusiasm for the things he likes. I am not sure he fully appreciates sometimes that the things he likes are plausibly unlikeable. But then he wouldn't have the entertaining and vividly-expressed enthusiasm for the well-liked things, in all likelihood.

It works equally well in the other direction.  It’s almost as endearing as his lack of ability to recognize it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 03, 2019, 04:49:37 PM

Anyhoo, he sold me on it this time. I got the game. We'll see what happens next.
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: November 03, 2019, 05:02:39 PM

The writing is pretty good but not nearly as mind blowing as people here would have you believe.

Genuine curiosity here, what's a video game you feel had better writing?

For a pure RPG: The Witcher 3.

Are you confusing story and writing?

Because this is like, kind of a laughable (read: lazy) answer.

I get writing is a personal thing but there's AT LEAST 20 games I can shit off the top of my head that would've been a better - or at least arguable answer.

Edit: I'm not trying to insult you here - I genuinely believe you're confusing story and writing. Which is entirely reasonable. Disco is not the best STORY in the history of gaming. But I've played all the previous "best written games" and the bar just got put at world record pole vault level and everyone else participating is crippled.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #77 on: November 03, 2019, 05:58:00 PM

I really enjoyed the game until the final stretch then it good pretty bad, unfortunately.

That was a pretty big let down to be honest. Especially in comparison to how strong the game was before that and how many different options it gave you to solve quests.
Just FYI a lot of this is hidden behind skill checks and the REAL reason he did it will either make you laugh and think it's awesome or put you even further off.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 03, 2019, 07:29:14 PM

The writing is pretty good but not nearly as mind blowing as people here would have you believe.

I get writing is a personal thing but there's AT LEAST 20 games I can shit off the top of my head that would've been a better - or at least arguable answer.

Edit: I'm not trying to insult you here - I genuinely believe you're confusing story and writing. Which is entirely reasonable. Disco is not the best STORY in the history of gaming. But I've played all the previous "best written games" and the bar just got put at world record pole vault level and everyone else participating is crippled.

Let me put it this way. I cared about many of the characters in the Witcher 3. You could make a case that for some of them I had the benefit of knowing them in two prior games. And that is true. But the character I cared most about was Ciri and she was introduced in that game. (I hadn't read the novels until a year or two after the Witcher 3.)

I care about none of them in this game. Some of them are sort of interesting but not one of them has connected with me on an emotional level. I chalk that up to writing. You may call it story but I think it speaks to how the writers of this game failed to make the characters resonate. The stuff that for you make this a well written amazing game are the things that for me make it pretentious and hard to bear at times. I'm probably going to finish the game but I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

Pros: Some good writing almost in spite of itself.
Some intriguing world building.
A somewhat interesting story.

Cons: Thought cabinet is basically just feats or perks but they don't tell you what you're getting and they cost skill points to get more of and even to change out if you don't like one you got.
Way too many skills.
Too many skills have pretentious names.
No emotional connection to the story. A major fail in the writing. I don't care about anyone in this game.
The writing too often veers into the pretentious. I find myself skimming some of the writing in this game because of it.

Edit: I thought I'd add. I cared more about Parvati in the Outer Worlds than I care about any character in this game.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 04, 2019, 12:31:08 AM

Just FYI a lot of this is hidden behind skill checks and the REAL reason he did it will either make you laugh and think it's awesome or put you even further off.

Oh I know why he really did it but that explanation is still unconnected to the main story and absolutely mindboggingly stupid.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 04, 2019, 04:00:37 AM

Let me put it this way. I cared about many of the characters in the Witcher 3. You could make a case that for some of them I had the benefit of knowing them in two prior games. And that is true. But the character I cared most about was Ciri and she was introduced in that game. (I hadn't read the novels until a year or two after the Witcher 3.)

I care about none of them in this game. Some of them are sort of interesting but not one of them has connected with me on an emotional level. I chalk that up to writing. You may call it story but I think it speaks to how the writers of this game failed to make the characters resonate. The stuff that for you make this a well written amazing game are the things that for me make it pretentious and hard to bear at times. I'm probably going to finish the game but I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

Cons: Thought cabinet is basically just feats or perks but they don't tell you what you're getting and they cost skill points to get more of and even to change out if you don't like one you got.
Way too many skills.
No emotional connection to the story. A major fail in the writing. I don't care about anyone in this game.
The writing too often veers into the pretentious. I find myself skimming some of the writing in this game because of it.

Edit: I thought I'd add. I cared more about Parvati in the Outer Worlds than I care about any character in this game.

tl;dr. Yes, you are confusing them.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: November 04, 2019, 05:47:13 AM

Way too many skills.

tl;dr. Yes, you are confusing them.

More like, for me viewing them as separate things is meaningless.  If the writing is crafted exceptionally well but fails on a story level I'm not going to judge it as amazing writing. I'm going to judge it as "pretty good" which is the case here. From the standpoint of an English professor, the writing is great. From the standpoint of the job it is supposed to do, tell a story, it's only so-so for the reasons I went into.

On another note, I just hit what is probably a dead-end in the game for me and I'm not sure I can be arsed to get past it. It's...horrible game design.

schild
Administrator

Reply #82 on: November 04, 2019, 06:29:31 AM

There's multiple ways to find Ruby.

Quid pro quo, Clarice. Which skill names are pretentious?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 04, 2019, 06:50:00 AM

As far as I can tell the only way to get to her is through that insane Shivers check.

As for skill names:
Inland Empire makes me groan. Just call it gut feelings or hunches or roll it into one of the 5 other pyche skills.
Espirit De Corps just call it Police Knowledge or, again, roll it into another skill as it's way too focused. It could easily be combined with Authority and maybe visual calculus if we really want to consolidate the obnoxious number of skills.
Visual Calculus. It's just fucking forensics. One of the few skills that should be a skill and not rolled into another skill.
Volition. It's just fucking morale. Another one that can be kept as its own skill.
Electro-chemistry. It's just drug knowledge. Also silly as it's own skill at least as used in this game.
Shivers. It's gut feelings. Should be combined with Inland Empire.
Half-light. Fucking really? It's intimidation people.
Nothing under motorics is too bad except the name of the attribute itself. It's not pretentious, it's just dumb. Motorics.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #84 on: November 04, 2019, 07:06:43 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: November 04, 2019, 08:06:11 AM

As far as I can tell the only way to get to her is through that insane Shivers check.

As for skill names:
Inland Empire makes me groan. Just call it gut feelings or hunches or roll it into one of the 5 other pyche skills.
Espirit De Corps just call it Police Knowledge or, again, roll it into another skill as it's way too focused. It could easily be combined with Authority and maybe visual calculus if we really want to consolidate the obnoxious number of skills.
Visual Calculus. It's just fucking forensics. One of the few skills that should be a skill and not rolled into another skill.
Volition. It's just fucking morale. Another one that can be kept as its own skill.
Electro-chemistry. It's just drug knowledge. Also silly as it's own skill at least as used in this game.
Nothing under motorics is too bad except the name of the attribute itself. It's not pretentious, it's just dumb. Motorics.

for someone that plays games to become attached to characters, it sure is wild you're dismissing about 75% of the cast of characters because you think they have pretentious names
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 04, 2019, 09:20:49 AM

As for skill names:

for someone that plays games to become attached to characters, it sure is wild you're dismissing about 75% of the cast of characters because you think they have pretentious names

If you're referring to how the skills sort of "talk to you" uh...well...I find that bit itself pretentious and annoying. I get what the writers are going for but Planescape: Torment did this type of story much better. Assuming I don't just give up in irritation at this "We're going to gate a character needed for the main quest behind an insanely high skill check for a skill you might not even have" bullshit I may give the game a review.

If I was forced to give it one right now I'd probably give it a 6/10. It has some clever elements to it but when you look deep most of them are really the same stuff we've seen before just hidden under a layer of pretentiousness. The characters are interesting but don't resonate emotionally. Not a one of them. I occasionally get intrigued only to find out they're really just exposition machines and once you've gotten all you can from them they never change what they have to say from what I've found. A lot of the depth is hidden behind obnoxious skill checks which are mostly set too high so unless you specialize in that skill or find hidden bonuses you're forced to save scum if you want to see it. The story is kind of neat, I like the central mystery but how you go about solving it is more annoying than anything else. It's like an old point and click adventure game where you're forced to just kind of stumble around and click on every single thing in the game in hopes of finding a lead. Not literally but that is how it feels. Just getting the body down was a huge pain the ass because you had to do it in only the way the writers wanted. That's a major issue I have with this game. It railroads you a lot. You don't really have much choice. I think, in general, that's part of the theme of the game but reflecting it in the game mechanics is problematic.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 04, 2019, 11:21:17 AM

The amount of times you're saying pretentious makes you seem pretentious.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 04, 2019, 12:59:52 PM

As far as I know that's not the case.

That check and the subsequent savoire vivre check were the only two I save scummed because I had literally run out of skill points and experience points to collect by this point.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 04, 2019, 03:31:21 PM

As far as I know that's not the case.

That check and the subsequent savoire vivre check were the only two I save scummed because I had literally run out of skill points and experience points to collect by this point.

I'd have to get drunk to raise my Shivers too because I went for a smart and charming character. It's been...interesting. I get through most dialogues relatively easily but an uncomfortable chair was a mortal threat to me and I had to go buy medicine to talk to the Union boss...

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: November 04, 2019, 10:52:15 PM

So, I finished the game tonight. It was a mixed bag but overall I'm glad I played it. The ending was...odd.

I am curious if some of my choices would have changed anything. Such as my decision not to arrest some people, for example. Not curious enough to replay it though. It was interesting but I don't think it has much, if any, replay value.

Also, I stand by my earlier comments about the Ruby search. That shivers roll was bad design. Yes, you can make it much easier by doing lots of side quests but forcing you to do side quests for one roll was more bad design. Don't force me to do filler content to get past a skill roll.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #91 on: November 05, 2019, 04:24:53 AM

You can find her without the shiver roll. There's another entrance. So your hate is misplaced there.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 05, 2019, 05:10:45 AM

The shiver roll unlocks two entrances. Even after replaying I have not found anything that unlocks a third entrance or that unlocks one of the two entrances I know with a different check.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 05, 2019, 06:12:36 AM

You can find her without the shiver roll. There's another entrance. So your hate is misplaced there.

The Shivers roll gave me access to a ladder or a basement entrance. I scoured the internet looking for another option besides looking at the mural and never found one. So if there is one, please inform me of it as I'm curious how you found something apparently no one else has.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #94 on: November 05, 2019, 03:46:38 PM

Failing the shivers roll can also unlock the basement entry.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 05, 2019, 04:18:19 PM

How often do you need to fail it? I failed that check four times without anything happening? Or do you have to get certain dialogue?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 07, 2019, 10:19:29 AM

I don't get any hate for the end of this game.

There are annoyances when you do things out of expected order with repetition and bugs, but the end of the game is great.

Will play it again in a few months as a different character type.

Also, this is the only rpg I can remember playing where I didn't give a fuck about min maxing at all, or even spending my skill points. I had around ten unspent at the end of the game. And quite a few quests and checks unsolved and not OCD stressing me.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 07, 2019, 10:44:59 AM

The problem with the end of the game is you have that asinine Shivers roll then the entire rest of the game is a railroad. To my knowledge, you can only effect how badly the Tribunal goes. You have no peaceful options that I was able to find either through gameplay or from searching the internet. Then afterwards you're basically led by the nose to the killer. And the killer's identity breaks one of the cardinal rules of mystery writing.

That said, I did like A) the song that played while you ride the boat and B) the very final scene which seemed to be determining your character's future even if it felt like it ended abruptly. Everything else about the end was quite unsatisfying because of the stuff I mentioned.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 07, 2019, 11:11:07 AM

I disagree with almost everything you've said.

You seem to have a vastly different idea about what the game cares about. It's not really at all about your narrative agency, it's about your psychological reaction to the world. It's not a sandbox. The whole game is "on rails".

Also what the fuck kind of mystery writing have you read that you think that's some cardinal rule. The opposite is the rule, if there's a rule.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:22:06 AM by lamaros »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 07, 2019, 08:58:49 PM

I disagree with almost everything you've said.

You seem to have a vastly different idea about what the game cares about. It's not really at all about your narrative agency, it's about your psychological reaction to the world. It's not a sandbox. The whole game is "on rails".

Also what the fuck kind of mystery writing have you read that you think that's some cardinal rule. The opposite is the rule, if there's a rule.

Uhh...pretty much any good mystery writer will tell you this. You don't drop hints and clues then go "HAH! JUST KIDDING! THE KILLER IS A CHARACTER YOU'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN BEFORE AND HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING ABOUT!"

If a mystery writer pulled that shit they'd be ripped apart by critics. It's literally mystery writing 101. You can drop in red herrings and false clues of course, but you don't just have the core mystery be utterly unsolvable because the audience literally never sees the real clues or the real killer.

As for your other observations. Perhaps the game is simply a psychological study and narrative agency was never a goal. It gave the illusion, at least early on, that you had some narrative agency only to yank it all out from under you from the moment you're asked to click on the mural to find Ruby. And here's my bigger issue. Other games have studied your psychological reactions to things while still giving you narrative agency. It's doable. This game chose not to do it. So for me it made the ending unsatisfying for the most part as I was just led from set piece to set piece with very little input into events.

As you can tell from my spoiler, this game's characters are already fading from my memory because they left very little impression on me.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 08, 2019, 02:42:04 AM

You are so wrong about mystery writing. The only rule of mystery writing is that the mystery needs to be engaging enough to keep people reading. And that you don't have clues and hints in place that let the reader solve it in advance otherwise they will, and the energy disappears. Mysteries are not puzzles.

Also this game is really funny. You don't seem to engage with any of its humor though - explicit and implied. I hate to say this as it's a stupid expression.. but this game is just not "for you". You don't seem to enjoy what it does, nor understand why the rest of us do.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:55:09 AM by lamaros »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: November 08, 2019, 06:49:08 AM

We'll have to agree to disagree on mystery writing.

https://writepop.com/writing/mystery-writing-tips

Obviously, it’s not fair to introduce the murderer in the last ten pages. But even with half the story to go, you’re probably too late. The longer your reader has to wait to start guessing who done it, the bigger the risk that they’ll get impatient and stop reading.

There's lot of others like this. You're literally the only person I've ever spoken to who is like "it's cool if the killer comes out of left field and wasn't so much as hinted at or even seen until the very end."Even police procedural shows introduce the killer during the first half of the show. They may mislead you about who it is but they don't just drop him or her as a surprise character in the last ten minutes. An argument can be made that this is more of a crime drama as opposed to a mystery they expect the player to have agency in or get invested in.

As for the humor, sometimes it was humorous. Some of the humor fell into the "trying way to hard" trap for me. In particular, everytime my character fell asleep and those voices started speaking I went through it as fast as possible because I found them annoying usually.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:43 AM

Am I the only one who didn't think this game was about solving a murder?
schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: November 08, 2019, 07:24:53 AM

at one point i forgot the murder was a thing so no
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: November 08, 2019, 08:16:15 AM

Guys, I think Riggswolfe didn't like it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Disco Elysium  
Jump to: