Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Disco Elysium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disco Elysium  (Read 34089 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 07:45:10 AM

Fuck acronyms.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2019, 08:14:35 AM

JFC this game is good. And I'm still only 3/4 through day 2.

The rpg genre just got served.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 08:19:36 AM

You made a very compelling case, so I bought it. Lets see this weekend if your praise was warranted.  awesome, for real

you rolled a 4 trying to get your necktie and died

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 25, 2019, 08:31:32 AM

You made a very compelling case, so I bought it. Lets see this weekend if your praise was warranted.  awesome, for real

you rolled a 4 trying to get your necktie and died

One of my first comments about this game is that this is what we would've played 20 years ago if Morte had finished reading the tattoo.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 25, 2019, 09:19:48 AM

I disliked Cuno so much initially and now I have to struggle to not blurt 'Cuno don't fucking care!' at patrons. At *maximum velocity*.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 25, 2019, 10:16:38 AM

Cuno was far, far too close to home. A wee fucking drugged up ned.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 25, 2019, 10:45:44 AM

I played this for about half an hour and didn't really enjoy it. Never played Torment.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 25, 2019, 07:13:08 PM

Eh, I'm interested but I don't want to pay full price.  Will wait for a discount.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 12:11:39 AM

That’s where I am as well.  I am not sure if it is my kind of thing, so I will probably wait.  I am already up to my tits in like 5 different games as it is.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 07:15:49 AM

I have no idea if I'll like this or not based on what you're all saying. I'm leaning to Ironwood's side but...

Guess I'll buy in a month or two.

edit. Watched a youtube of the first few mins. jfc how up itself is this.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:14:56 PM by lamaros »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #45 on: October 26, 2019, 01:28:34 PM

So you bought it, right?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 26, 2019, 01:37:31 PM

Trying to get steam on my laptop. I'm in spain with a different phone can can't remember my password. It's annoying.

Trying on GOG.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: October 26, 2019, 05:58:02 PM

edit. Watched a youtube of the first few mins. jfc how up itself is this.

If this game were "up itself" in any capacity, it would've petered off halfway through. It doesn't. The game is not "up itself." It is largely the best writing in the history of gaming - with the absolute best cast of characters - and nothing even comes close.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #48 on: October 26, 2019, 11:45:41 PM

I think I'm only about halfway through and I am loving the ride.  Trying to be a semi-serious detective, stay sober-ish, and get the job done on this initial run, but will have to try again with different skill configuration and just go nuts on some of the alternative approaches...

Kim is an amazingly well-written NPC partner and is amazingly tolerant of my shenanigans.

The horror that I, the player, shared with the main character as we realized that  was a fantastic gaming moment.

The number of painful typos and such are remarkably few and the writing is remarkably good for a tiny Estonian studio (though I hear quality control is a bit less good in the back half, but still, considering how huge the game is...).

I love the hell out of the skill system and the fact that there's no separate combat system from the dialogue interaction system -- that's brave and it pays off big time.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #49 on: October 27, 2019, 07:12:56 AM

with the absolute best cast of characters

Totally. Even if for some strange reason the writing is not your favourite, this statement right here should not be overlooked.

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: October 27, 2019, 11:25:14 AM

spoilering this even though you may never encounter it at all

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 27, 2019, 02:11:41 PM

Up itself as fuck and also amazing.

This is the game people who love Torment think torment is.

Writing is the best I've ever seen in a video game by far.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #52 on: October 30, 2019, 07:30:45 AM

I need help. Yesterday I played for 20 hours straight and even forgot to eat. Only stopped because I nearly fell asleep at the keyboard. Only thing I slightly dislike about the game is the walking Speed and how you maneuver the areas.

The *reality talk* between Joyce and you and the part about the pale is better than anything I’ve ever read in video games. This game is also a more succinct commentary about realpolitik and society than almost anything I’ve ever read. Period.

That I can enjoy this while making the in game world disco as fuck is just a bonus.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 31, 2019, 07:35:17 PM

I went ahead and bought this just for shits and giggles because I'm weak when it comes to RPGs and I finished the Outer Worlds. It's a fun game so far but nothing ground breaking. As for the writing it veers wildly between pretty good and super, super pretentious. I can almost hear the writer talking about how smart he is for buying that thesaurus. It's kind of distracting honestly.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:15 PM

You and Ironwood can start a very small fan club around that opinion.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #55 on: October 31, 2019, 08:46:20 PM

Well hiding end game progression behind two hard and very specific skill checks was a major downer. The end is also somewhat of a let down.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 31, 2019, 09:13:25 PM

I'll probably keep going. Some of the systems are neat. Some are extremely annoying though. The writing is pretty good too except when it veers into the pretentious bull shit and I have to just try to get past it.

So far, it's a pretty mixed bag for me. Enjoyable enough to keep going but with a lot of "are you fucking kidding me?" stuff.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 01, 2019, 02:37:55 AM

Once you get to the funny bits (many, if you've not found them then just stop) the pretensiousness becomes less grating, because this game takes the piss out of itself too.

The best thing about this game is it's sense of humour. the writing is directly related to that, but it's writing in general, rather than the specific prose.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 01, 2019, 06:22:27 AM

I can almost hear the writer talking about how smart he is for buying that thesaurus.
Yes, let's keep things simple for the simple.
schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: November 01, 2019, 06:24:31 AM

Once you get to the funny bits (many, if you've not found them then just stop) the pretensiousness becomes less grating, because this game takes the piss out of itself too.

The best thing about this game is it's sense of humour. the writing is directly related to that, but it's writing in general, rather than the specific prose.
The goddamn intro is hilarious. If he didn't get to the funny parts yet, there's a problem.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #60 on: November 01, 2019, 10:37:10 AM

It's hard for me to take anything in this game as pretentious when just about every dialogue choice gives you an option (or multiple options) to take the piss out of whatever was just said.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 01, 2019, 11:37:31 AM

As a serious person playing the game seriously, it's hard to be serious and it's also hilarious watching the character try.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 01, 2019, 11:44:12 AM

The pretentiousness gets dialed down after the opening thankfully. I'm enjoying the game though shit like dying from a heart attack from sitting in an uncomfortable chair is just dumb and doesn't add enjoyment to the game. The writing is pretty good but not nearly as mind blowing as people here would have you believe. Likewise the mechanics aren't anything special and have been in tons of other games. I do like the mind cabinet but think tying it to skill points was just silly. Thankfully I can save scum to get past pretty much any skill check I want so guess it doesn't matter in the end.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 01, 2019, 01:26:34 PM

The writing is pretty good but not nearly as mind blowing as people here would have you believe.

Genuine curiosity here, what's a video game you feel had better writing?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 01, 2019, 02:29:33 PM

Have you ever tried not being a cock ?

Didn't like the game, stopped playing it.  It's not a big deal.  You can go ahead and play Star Wars with Twitch while watching I Am Legend 'cause you've never not liked anything or been dramatically different to the point of wrong before either.

You utter fucking arsehole.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 01, 2019, 03:29:07 PM

The writing is pretty good but not nearly as mind blowing as people here would have you believe.

Genuine curiosity here, what's a video game you feel had better writing?

For a pure RPG: The Witcher 3.
On a weirdness front: Deadly Premonition but I have a weird weakness for that game.

There are others as well. This game has good writing but you people are singing its praises like it's the most amazing writing ever seen in a video game and that's...not the case. When you wipe away the pretentious layers it's a fairly standard story with fairly standard NPCs.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 01, 2019, 03:53:44 PM

When you wipe away the pretentious layers it's a fairly standard story with fairly standard NPCs.

Well there you go. It's the pretentious layers I like ;) Other than that half-joke though, I'm more critical of the writing in DE than some others in this group. The ending in particular is weak, but I've always loved fiction dealing with personification of aspects of the personality, and that's a small enough pool of things that when one comes along that's written even moderately well, I'm likely to be a fan.
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: November 01, 2019, 04:03:31 PM

Have you ever tried not being a cock ?

Didn't like the game, stopped playing it.  It's not a big deal.  You can go ahead and play Star Wars with Twitch while watching I Am Legend 'cause you've never not liked anything or been dramatically different to the point of wrong before either.

You utter fucking arsehole.

No, it's not a big deal - so I have no clue why you took it so personally.

I don't understand the Star Wars with Twitch comment tho.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:25 AM

You had to be there.  Someone many years back made some thread about SWG, it was getting twitch added in, the bees knees and all that.

And also, Schild hates absolutely everything, until there is something he likes and then that is the best thing ever and everyone else is wrong because reasons.  Apparently DE is that thing just now.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #69 on: November 02, 2019, 02:25:30 PM

Oh, twitch the mechanic, not the streaming service

The rest of your post is just patently untrue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Disco Elysium  
Jump to: