Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:34:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Boys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 43760 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #105 on: October 14, 2020, 07:16:56 PM

Uh, think he's just referring to MediumHigh mistakenly calling Vought "vault".
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #106 on: October 14, 2020, 07:43:22 PM

What are you imagining her escape to have been?

The kid grew up believing he was in a normal neighborhood.  So we're talking about maybe something like a wall and some guards hidden away.  Cameras, too, obviously.  But this was not Supermax.

She showed a cigarette and lighter to a camera in the fourth episode and just drove off.  Butcher was able to sneak in with no trouble and with no knowledge of the situation while she spent years seeing the defenses in place.

Not exactly Fort Knox, especially when the real prisoner was the kid.

--Signature Unclear
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #107 on: October 14, 2020, 08:06:38 PM

I guess I should have included the line about "the CEO of Vault", too.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 14, 2020, 10:48:52 PM

Look, I'm not trying to make him tow the line. I just didn't want to pass up a bit of comedy that we might take for granite. Really, vanilla and Manila are one in the same, so we can just nip that pedantry in the butt. At any ray, he's probably past the statue of limitations on gaffs of this nurture. I think we can stop trying to make him curl up in the feeble position as it's obviously a mute point, and we're really just trying to make him look like an escape goat. Buy and large, he'll just be biting his time to catch us fouling something up, so we should all do a 360 and forgive him. After all, it's a doggy dog world.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #109 on: October 15, 2020, 12:06:24 AM

I am awaiting his response with baited breath.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #110 on: October 16, 2020, 09:51:54 AM

bit of a damp squid

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 16, 2020, 12:46:13 PM

… yeah. 

I was responding to MediumHigh.  Not the Fallout 'joke'. 

That was kind of … sad.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #112 on: October 30, 2020, 06:23:33 AM

Finished up season 2 last night. The middle bits did drag a bit, but the finale was well worth the wait. I bought the full run of graphic novels from Humble Bundle recently and started in on them. I'm through the first 3 editions (so like 18 issues or so) and I must say that Karl Urban's Butcher is a better developed character in the TV show. Maybe the comics gets to the Becca thing at some point after where I'm at, but the show actually trying to illustrate that Butcher is just as bad as Homelander is a good take. I actually think I prefer the TV characters to their comics counterparts, though I'd like to see more of the world fleshed out (without exploding bits covering everyone in the room).

I didn't realize the series creator was Eric Kripke, who was also the creator of Timeless. Makes a lot of sense though, considering the head of the Church of the Collective is played by Timeless's original antagonist and the Senator lady was one of the main engineer geeks from the show. Rufus the Pilot from Timeless also showed up as one of the image consultants in season 2.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: October 30, 2020, 07:24:04 AM

Finished up season 2 last night. The middle bits did drag a bit, but the finale was well worth the wait. I bought the full run of graphic novels from Humble Bundle recently and started in on them. I'm through the first 3 editions (so like 18 issues or so) and I must say that Karl Urban's Butcher is a better developed character in the TV show. Maybe the comics gets to the Becca thing at some point after where I'm at...
Yeah - Butcher's origin is a mystery in the comics for much longer.  And it is significantly different, although some key elements are the same.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #114 on: June 10, 2021, 06:03:15 AM

So I just started watching some clips of this on YouTube and want to say Homelander's actor is doing a very good job. This makes the character oddly likeable because he is so very flawed and weak.

Def worth torrenting the entire show I guess?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #115 on: June 10, 2021, 06:53:29 AM

I guess you could torrent it, but assuming you have Amazon Prime locally, it's streamable in 4k with just a month's Prime membership (as is the rest of Amazon Prime Video, such as The Expanse and other awesome shows). Especially useful if there's anything on Amazon you'd like delivered without any shipping charges.

I thought season 1 was very, very good. I'm 1/3 of the way into season 2 and finding it slower, but still quality.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 10, 2021, 07:06:52 AM

The show is pretty awesome. Worth it whatever the minimal cost is to stream/buy it.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #117 on: June 11, 2021, 12:01:12 AM

to stream/buy it.

to send Jeff Bezos to space.
WayAbvPar

Reply #118 on: June 18, 2021, 05:26:58 PM

I would pay more if it was a one way ticket.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #119 on: June 20, 2021, 09:24:07 PM

Considering they've never stuck humans on this rocket before, it might.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 16, 2022, 10:21:26 AM

https://youtu.be/K-8VYKUZYiw

I like that the first season set my expectations for this show really fucking low.

Trailer looks quite good. And that is good enough for me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 08, 2022, 05:21:28 PM

Starlight spent longer powering up than Goku just to pull a Krillin. Maeve on the other hand was a badass.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #122 on: July 08, 2022, 06:32:54 PM

Starlight spent longer powering up than Goku just to pull a Krillin. Maeve on the other hand was a badass.
They've been pretty clear Starlight is nowhere near Homelander/Maeve/Soldier Boy level. It took her the exaggerated power up sequence to mildly inconvenience Homelander at a critical moment.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 08, 2022, 07:55:54 PM

The fight scenes this season were great and I love what they are doing with Homelander.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: July 09, 2022, 08:18:52 PM

So this show has just become the thing it was spoofing? Everyone fights and throws each other around the room with no consequence or real risk of harm to either party. The political stuff was the only thing that kept me off my phone while watching it at the end there.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 09, 2022, 11:04:27 PM

-H.L. Mencken
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 10, 2022, 12:52:23 AM

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 10, 2022, 10:02:14 AM

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #128 on: October 09, 2023, 09:05:30 AM

The new "Generation V" spinoff ain't bad.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #129 on: October 10, 2023, 08:01:32 PM

I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #130 on: October 10, 2023, 08:54:28 PM

All the right wing chuds that loved the Boys for Homelander are getting mad at it because the women are a little too uppity.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #131 on: October 11, 2023, 05:04:24 PM

I can actually imagine right wing incels dipshits liking the Boys because Homelander is literally all their insecurities given powers, but then being turned off by all the women who beat his ass. Of course, I can also see them just not getting any of the painfully obvious nuances of the characters and how most of them are satires of the things they claim to be.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 01, 2023, 10:25:14 PM

I especially like how they have memory-holed the entire first season plot point of him having a breastfeeding fetish.   The show is goofing on them all so hard its genuinely funny they can't see it.

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #133 on: November 05, 2023, 12:21:49 PM

Really liked how Gen V ended up tying in to the main plot.  If the idea is that the next season of The Boys is going to add these kids to the main cast, introducing them via their own little spinoff instead of trying to shoehorn them in along the way was a smart way to do it.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 05, 2023, 03:37:33 PM

I especially like how they have memory-holed the entire first season plot point of him having a breastfeeding fetish.   The show is goofing on them all so hard its genuinely funny they can't see it.

He had a mommy fetish with one specific woman, and he was still trying to "fulfill" it with the shape shifter in... uh season 2 i think.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #135 on: November 05, 2023, 09:18:36 PM

Really liked how Gen V ended up tying in to the main plot.  If the idea is that the next season of The Boys is going to add these kids to the main cast, introducing them via their own little spinoff instead of trying to shoehorn them in along the way was a smart way to do it.

I don't know, I was liking it a lot as its own thing that's obviously tied into The Boys but has its own story to tell. If it were to end up just as a prequel to The Boys season 4 I think that would be a massive disappointment.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #136 on: November 06, 2023, 08:13:01 AM

Yeah, not a huge fan of having to keep up with outside media to understand the plot of a show I'm watching.  Bit of a pain in the moment, huge pain when rewatching it down the road and having to remember when you need to detour to watch what season of which other show.

Minor case in point, I did a first time watch of the Stargate TV shows a few years ago and having to know when to set SG1 down to watch a season of Atlantis was irritating.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Boys  
Jump to: