Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Boys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 43754 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 06:46:10 AM

This is good. Surprisingly good. There’s character development and real acting. And the production is great.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 07:46:28 PM

I thought the last 2 episodes were a bit weak but there was lots of good stuff in the season.

Agree. The last episode was all over the place. I don't really mind though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 08:38:06 PM

I think the only thing that doesn't fully work in the series is that Butcher et al just don't seem all that competent or experienced with supes, unlike the comic--an awful lot depends on Hughie (who is very different in the series) more or less getting lucky and/or explaining really basic technological stuff to the group.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 05:40:47 PM

I think the only thing that doesn't fully work in the series is that Butcher et al just don't seem all that competent or experienced with supes, unlike the comic--an awful lot depends on Hughie (who is very different in the series) more or less getting lucky and/or explaining really basic technological stuff to the group.
Yeah, I think that's the biggest change that bugs me about this.  I liked the idea of The Boys actually being a fairly competent and hardcore CIA black ops team doing the dirty work for the military industrial complex trying to push back against the power of the supes (while using that as a spring board to peruse their own actual agendas).  In this Butcher is just some angry dude who doesn't seem to know wtf he's actually doing and they just keep getting lucky over and over again.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 11:33:09 AM

I like Hughie in this, but the rest of the Boys in the show version just don't make any sense as a counter to the Seven/supes in general.  The actors are okay and all that, but the writing for the characters just makes them a pack of idiots that I have trouble even caring about by the end.  I found the Seven more interesting to follow along with. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 12:50:22 AM

Finished this 'cause every motherfucker was going on about how wondrous it is and I'm frankly disappointed.

I think the cast did a stellar job with what they had, but what they had wasn't that much and having it end as basically a setup for a potentially interesting series was a total WTF moment.

Breaking Bad Chicken guy was Chekov's villain the entire time until, surprise, he wasn't.  The 'twist' with Becca was so signposted my blind dead gran would have figured it out and the relationship between Stillwell and Homelander was just, frankly, fucking annoying.

I can maybe get that anyone who hasn't grown up with Watchman might think it's somehow revolutionary, but it left me entirely cold.

Also, WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH EOMERS ACCENT.  JESUS CHRIST.  When he lapsed into Australian slang and passed it off as British ?  Awesomecakes.  In a truly bad way.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Kiwi doing an Australian imitating Michael Caine.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 03:11:19 PM

I just saw it as an amalgam of “what most Americans think British/Scottish/Australian” people sound like.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 03:20:25 PM

I believe the accent changing and being inaccurate is a thing from the comics, which they probably should have ditched as it seems like bad acting.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 20, 2019, 12:31:00 AM

Really ?   That's unfortunate.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 20, 2019, 02:24:22 PM

While not perfect, it was enjoyable.  The carnage was visually interesting to observe.  Highly predictable, but as a spectacle it was sufficient.  I enjoyed Urban, even if the accent was odd.

However, the show didn't feel right.  I never read the comics - that is no what I mean by right.  I mean that it doesn't seem like that world would organically grow out of the premise, or that if it did, it would be stable at the point the series started.   It also felt like they didn't both to spec the powers of each of the characters... they seemed to be fluctuating based upon need.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 01:58:48 AM

Half way through and I can't decide if I like this.

Some performances within it are great.  But the story seems less interesting as it goes on. Homelander case in point, Starr is doing an amazing job, and to start with I thought they were going for mentally broken true believer version of Dr Manhatten, cool, I thought that will be interesting vs corporate jerks. But uh, no, he really is just stronger than the other guys, fine I guess. Maybe it will flex back.

The main guys only half telling us their motivation is just annoying me, not least because the what they are doing in the moment is neither interesting or competent enough to distract me. I keep thinking that if it is this easy to outwit the superheroes how is it these dweebs are the first to do it. The reason I think they don't get suspension of disbelief is that the action is mediocre. The director seems to think blood is funny and/or exciting of itself.

Even the big thing at the start where A train kills the girl, was reduced in impact by how pleased with himself the director was. OK that happened, now I'm watching 20 seconds of bad cgi...... yes this is still happening.... this pause pretty much confirms everyone's role in the story I didn't need this long to think about it..... Oh you still have her hands, that is neither convincing, horrific, or humorous because of how damn long it took.

You stuck a bomb up his ass, fine but there is a limit to how many times reminding me about the prior episode's joke is going to be funny.

The dolphin was funny though.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:00:31 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 07:43:16 AM

The reason I think they don't get suspension of disbelief is that the action is mediocre. The director seems to think blood is funny and/or exciting of itself.

I wouldn't blame that on the director - that is a typical Garth Ennis staple.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 22, 2019, 08:10:48 AM

I'm dumping a bunch of stuff at the director's door that is probably writer or showrunners, fair enough.

Everything is average except the acting.

Costumes, score, lighting, cgi. Everything.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:16:29 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 10:00:02 AM

Episodes 1-5 built up a good head of steam but 6-8 just kind of coasted to the end. 

I enjoyed it but not sure we need another season.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 22, 2019, 12:22:12 PM

It ended cliffhangery as fuck though.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 03:37:05 PM

Half way through and I can't decide if I like this.

Some performances within it are great.  But the story seems less interesting as it goes on. Homelander case in point, Starr is doing an amazing job, and to start with I thought they were going for mentally broken true believer version of Dr Manhatten, cool, I thought that will be interesting vs corporate jerks. But uh, no, he really is just stronger than the other guys, fine I guess. Maybe it will flex back.

The main guys only half telling us their motivation is just annoying me, not least because the what they are doing in the moment is neither interesting or competent enough to distract me. I keep thinking that if it is this easy to outwit the superheroes how is it these dweebs are the first to do it. The reason I think they don't get suspension of disbelief is that the action is mediocre. The director seems to think blood is funny and/or exciting of itself.

Even the big thing at the start where A train kills the girl, was reduced in impact by how pleased with himself the director was. OK that happened, now I'm watching 20 seconds of bad cgi...... yes this is still happening.... this pause pretty much confirms everyone's role in the story I didn't need this long to think about it..... Oh you still have her hands, that is neither convincing, horrific, or humorous because of how damn long it took.

You stuck a bomb up his ass, fine but there is a limit to how many times reminding me about the prior episode's joke is going to be funny.

The dolphin was funny though.

Keep in mind in the comic there's a big thing at some point about killing a superhero with a dildo bomb. There is only so much de-Ennis you can do, I think--when he writes this kind of stuff he swaggers around in it like it's some awesomely brilliant thing.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 22, 2019, 06:21:54 PM

I just don't know where they go from here.  They have been fully exposed to a very competent intelligence gathering organization backed up by a person who for all intents and purposes is a god. 

How do you get around that without it getting all contrived as fuck?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 23, 2019, 02:35:09 AM

By making some dick jokes I imagine.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 23, 2019, 04:20:00 AM

The only route really is reversing what makes a good Superman story. Superman is always at his best when he's being challenged as a person, when his moral compass is tested or he's forced to outthink his enemy rather than just 'Lex Luthor has a new type of Kryptonite!' type stories.

This I can see going the same way where the Boys actually hit Homelander on a psychological level, targeting his identity, etc. This is a problem if you really do make the character into a complete psychopath as there isn't really much to attack. No human relations, etc. makes it difficult to make that a compelling story. The Boys trying to get some plot Macguffin that can kill Homelander would be as lame as any Superman Kryptonite story even if you're meant to be cheering for the other side.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #55 on: December 06, 2019, 11:35:06 PM

Teaser trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=67&v=WYnSEW4sXrk&feature=emb_title

No real info, but clearly lots of craziness to come.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 03:11:00 PM

I had no problem with the latter half of season one, I loved the whole thing (while acknowledging a few wobbles).

If S2 could ship in time for quarantine season that'd be swell, Amazon.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 16, 2020, 03:53:58 PM

The casting of Aya Cash as Storm Front slipped by me initially, but that has me intrigued.  Very intrigued.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 13, 2020, 10:26:40 AM

This bullshit they are pulling about releasing weekly pisses me off.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #59 on: July 14, 2020, 09:35:22 PM

This bullshit they are pulling about releasing weekly pisses me off.

Didn’t realize they were doing that, but then wait until all the episodes are out and binge them all then?

I kinda prefer weekly releases since it allows for conversations where everyone is on the same page. Otherwise it’s just a race to the finish for some people and then nobody wants to enter into a discussion about it until they’ve finished everything. Then the conversation just ends up being very broad liked/disliked It, wonder what they’ll do next season.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 15, 2020, 06:01:11 AM

I also find I don't generally have time to binge watch tv shows anymore outside of rare weekends. A weekly release schedule might mean I actually have a chance to keep up with people  awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 15, 2020, 06:30:54 AM

Even when I have time, I don't actually like doing it--I zone out of any given show after 2 hours worth. But I guess one a day is still something like a binge.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 15, 2020, 07:49:00 AM

I think there are shows I'd prefer to binge and then there are shows I'd prefer to dribble out.  Daredevil season 1, was binge-worthy. 

This is a show that can go either way, in theory, but from what little I know of the comics, I'm expecting that the weekly schedule might be better.  Of course, it would be nice to be able to see the entire thing before the collapse of Western Civilization, so I think I'd prefer it all be available early so that I can set my own schedule.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #63 on: July 15, 2020, 12:23:56 PM

We tend to watch 2-4 eps together once a week for the shows we watch as a couple. I watch a few shows on my own, and I usually binge them passively while playing games.

The only thing that worries me about these types of rollouts is that some of the streaming services weight first weekend viewing heavily in how they choose to renew shows. If there's a show I like but don't have time to watch, then I run the risk of not getting the story finished because it gets cancelled when the early numbers aren't good. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 15, 2020, 03:46:19 PM

We tend to watch 2-4 eps together once a week for the shows we watch as a couple. I watch a few shows on my own, and I usually binge them passively while playing games.

The only thing that worries me about these types of rollouts is that some of the streaming services weight first weekend viewing heavily in how they choose to renew shows. If there's a show I like but don't have time to watch, then I run the risk of not getting the story finished because it gets cancelled when the early numbers aren't good. 
You can always put it on with the sound off when you're not in the room and let it play without you on opening weekend. 

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 24, 2020, 10:35:24 PM

I enjoyed this enough to binge it in two days. I think some of the acting is really good, especially Antony Starr. Certainly the kind of show that works best when you just keep pushing through and don't try and stop to think about it.

The supes in the comic are all waaaaaay more fucked up and psycho (something toned down in the show that I think was a good change), but it also heavily goes into mocking neo-cons and the military industrial complex circa the height of the war on terror (something the show skipped). The comic revolves around a sort of cold war power struggle between the military industrial complex and the supes, with The Boys being the governments weapon of choice off the books to keep them in check, while Vought is doing its best to infiltrate and buy its way into controlling the government.  Which I thought was an awesome setup.

Most of this came through to me in the show, maybe not as extreme as you mention. But not really subtle, either.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 26, 2020, 11:54:35 AM

Yeah, it was definitely tilted. Using supes as weapons for the government was a pretty solid theme throughout. And using the government as a means of income for a private corporation.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 26, 2020, 01:54:14 PM

Maybe this season they'll turn a bit more towards "there are military and intelligence elements desperate to put the brakes on the supes and their corporate supporters". Because I don't really see otherwise how our Fearless Heroes actually survive, considering the limited covert competencies they've shown so far.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 08:58:07 PM

I binged the shit out of this. Really good show.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #69 on: September 05, 2020, 11:40:07 PM

Disappointing they have gone to a weekly release schedule on this show.  I think it lends itself to a binge watch.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Boys  
Jump to: