Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Boys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 43752 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

on: July 26, 2019, 01:10:20 PM

This just dropped on Prime today and after two episodes I am loving the shit out of it.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 01:12:00 PM

That is next up on my binge list after I finish Season 2 of the Tick.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 02:19:30 PM

Hm. I hated the comic, but...I might give this a try.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 03:45:57 PM

That looks amazing.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 05:13:51 PM

Ah, good to hear it sounds good.  I liked the comic overall, but it was a big rough around the edges (and as Schild commented before, its Garth Ennis doing too much Garth Ennis).  I always did feel it was perfect material for an adaptation though, if handled by the right person.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:40:36 PM

Well, been watching first two episodes.  This is a heeeeaaaavy adaptation.  It’s got a lot of the comic in broad strokes, but the vast majority of it is very different from the comics (at least so far).  So much so that while I enjoy it, I think my expectations from the comic are getting in the way of my enjoyment, because things are so different/wrong from what I expect.  Kind of wish they had hewed a bit closer to the comics for the base story.

Anyways, if you didn’t like the comic, you may still like this (unless of course you just hated the entire premise).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 09:29:42 PM

Sounds like what happened with Preacher...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 06:30:28 PM

Hmm, ok, so I binged this.  I’m sort of curious why they bothered to get the rights to The Boys when they did literally a completely different story.  If they had just changed the names of characters, the hero costumes, and just about 3 scenes they took from the comic, they could have done this entire thing as is under a different name.  Having read the comic first is always probably going to sour my view on it because I was hoping to see the basic story of The Boys adapted, and they just did their own thing.

As for the series itself, I think it was good?  It was pretty solid throughout and above average I think.  Just wasn’t as fun for me though as the team basically just bumbled around and accidentally accomplished things the whole series instead of being a CIA black ops with a goal.  And boy, the cliffhanger at the end of the season completely changes everything 100% away from what little story they were using from the comics, so no idea what they are going to do from here.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:36:41 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 06:55:37 PM

I just watched half of the first episode, and I can tell I'm going to be bingeing this asap. Like most of Amazon's shows, it's beautifully made and has hooked me right in. They have become much more reliable than Netflix in series quality. I've never heard of the comic.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 07:04:25 PM

Yeah, production quality on this is way above the average Netflix show.  It's almost as if Amazon has endless money. awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 11:10:08 PM

Holy shit this show is fucked up in the best possible ways.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 01:43:25 PM

Holy shit this show is fucked up in the best possible ways.

Was definitely an entertaining, yet also at times sickening, jaunt.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 02:02:59 PM

Just watched the first episode. Very Garth Ennis.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 02:51:29 PM

I keep thinking Eden Hazard is playing frenchie

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 04:25:07 PM

I really appreciated Homelander explaining why he couldn't carry that plane.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 05:51:19 PM

I really appreciated Homelander explaining why he couldn't carry that plane.

Everytime Superman has saved a plane I've had a brief flash of the kinds of things he mentions. I usually write it off and just enjoy the story but it's there in the back of my mind. That said, I can't wait for them to finally kill Homelander somehow.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:40:59 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 06:25:41 PM

The way the comics approached that topic was actually pretty cool, but not sure they are going to keep it in this version.  A big part of it plot wise has already been changed.

Also, love how everybody keeps mentioning how fucked up the show is, because it's waaaaay toned down from the comics.  Mind you, that's a good thing because the comics biggest flaw is they tried way to hard to be fucked up and shocking, and it distracted from the story.  So, happy they did a PG version of the comics in that regard, but just funny to see reactions.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 06:28:05 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 07:39:52 PM

PG? It may be toned down from the comics, but it's definitely still a solid "R".

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 08:14:45 PM

I meant PG compared to the comics.

-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 08:48:48 PM

Billy Butcher has a weird accent. He's supposed to be English, and he's played by a New Zealand actor trying to do an English accent, but to my Scottish-Aussie ear he sounds like an American doing a bad Australian accent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 07:43:06 AM

Simon Pegg doing an American accent really messed with my head.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 04:28:08 PM

The fun meta Easter egg with that casting, in case nobody knew, is that the Comic version of Hughie was based off Simon Pegg.

-Stephen Colbert
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 05:50:52 PM

Antony Starr is fucking great at projecting veiled menace in this, same as in Banshee.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 06:48:51 PM

Four episodes in and it is fantastic. The goddamn dolphin scene with the Deep running from Oceanland had me screaming in laughter.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 06:54:12 PM

Four episodes in and it is fantastic. The goddamn dolphin scene with the Deep running from Oceanland had me screaming in laughter.

Same, though it almost felt like a Family Guy skit.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:31 PM

The Spice Girls speech was the most surreal and possibly best part of the whole series.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 11:00:28 PM

I thought the last 2 episodes were a bit weak but there was lots of good stuff in the season.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 07:52:02 AM

I thought it just got better as it went along.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: July 30, 2019, 08:25:27 AM

That's Garth Ennis though, innit? I mean, his whole style is "like Mark Millar only it starts at full retard with no apologies and better writing."

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 10:27:55 AM

That's Garth Ennis though, innit? I mean, his whole style is "like Mark Millar only it starts at full retard with no apologies and better writing."

That entire scene was great. I loved the feel that the dolphin was basically sexually harassing him. "Fine, but I'll only touch it." and then the slow mo where it looked at him as it flew by. I've never read the comics but I almost wonder if the Deep isn't the Jaime Lannister of the show. He does something awful in the first episode but the following episodes spend a lot of time humanizing him. And let's be honest, he was on the other side of a rape when he was gill banged by that girl.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 12:00:18 PM

From a showrunner AMA on reddit:

There was ONE SCENE that Amazon said FUCK NO, you have to cut. I couldn't quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building Eagles. He pulled his pants down and started jerking off, mumbling "I can do whatever I want" over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Anthony was the BEST in that scene. Amazon seemed to think it wasn't necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they've been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 02:35:21 PM

I loved this show beginning to end. I can't remember the time I've binged a season in less than 2 days.

Are the comics worth a read if I've already seen this? I'm not a big comics guy, but I like the show's concept at its core.

-Rasix
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 02:46:23 PM

Same. This was the best superhero show I've ever seen.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 04:32:26 PM

I loved this show beginning to end. I can't remember the time I've binged a season in less than 2 days.

Are the comics worth a read if I've already seen this? I'm not a big comics guy, but I like the show's concept at its core.
It's really hard to say.  As you may have seen me say before, the actual day to day story of the comics and most characters personalities are completely different from this show.  IMO, they improved some characters a lot (such as Frenchie) and degraded others (Butcher, who as more complex in the comics I felt).  The concept is the same, but the actual plot is very different.  The comic is also meant to be much more satirical and extreme in nature.  The supes in the comic are all waaaaaay more fucked up and psycho (something toned down in the show that I think was a good change), but it also heavily goes into mocking neo-cons and the military industrial complex circa the height of the war on terror (something the show skipped). The comic revolves around a sort of cold war power struggle between the military industrial complex and the supes, with The Boys being the governments weapon of choice off the books to keep them in check, while Vought is doing its best to infiltrate and buy its way into controlling the government.  Which I thought was an awesome setup.

Again though, the comic is heavy satire.  They basically create equivalents for every major superhero and super group from comics, and then show them being really fucked up in some way (including a flashback arc to Hughies childhood that makes fun of Hardy Boys shit hilariously).  How fucked up most supes are is dialed up to 11 in the comic, which sort of hurt it overall.  However, I honestly really liked where the plot went and how the whole thing ended.

So in short, uh, I guess just start reading it.  You should figure out pretty quickly if its for you or not.  They do some awesome/hilarious world building in the comics though!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:37:12 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 06:51:11 PM

The comic is a queasy mix of now-standard "what if superheroes were real, they'd be part of the systems that already rule us or they'd be working to be gods fucking us over in new ways" plus the now-standard "superheroes like celebrities would all be totally corrupt and evil assholes" plus Garth Ennis' standard forms of sophomoric obsession with filthy sex and spectacular violence plus the love of ironic reversals plus massive cynicism. None of which is that different from the show, but the show has some surprising restraint and patience about how it works this terrain. Ennis dials it to 11 and plays a death metal soundtrack over it while he does.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Boys  
Jump to: