Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: College Football 2019-20: We're all hoping it's not Clemson and Bama again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: College Football 2019-20: We're all hoping it's not Clemson and Bama again  (Read 37668 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 12:42:03 AM

I will put up Utah's defense against any in the country. Scary good.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 01:59:38 PM

I will put up Utah's defense against any in the country. Scary good.

You say things like this a lot. Sure it isn't just the thin air up in the stands at Rice-Eccels and lots of alcohol clouding your perceptions?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 11:02:44 PM

They broke ASU's 125 game streak of scoring in double digits.  Other than a super-late garbage time one by OSU against our 3rd stringers, in the last 3 games they have given up 1 TD  and that was to Washington State's air raid offense.

Jayden Daniels, a very talented freshman QB at ASU that put up 38 points the week before, went 4/18 for 25 yards passing and an INT.  ASU was ranked #17. They had 140 yards. Total.  Oh, and we gave them four TOs and had a -2 TO ratio for the game, one of which led to their only score, a FG on a drive that went for -4 yards.

Utes are rated 4th in Total Defense in the county and its rushing D is #2 behind only Wisconsin.

So ya, they good.  Only played one iffy game and that was at USC and a lot of weird things happened there. Otherwise, shut everyone down cold.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 12:10:39 AM

Utes just held Cal to 83 yards. For the game. With our 2nd string in most of the 2nd half.

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 03:08:59 PM

I have no idea how it all happened, but I'll be wearing all my LSU gear for the next two weeks until we come back down to earth in Tuscaloosa. But right now? wow... just wow

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 09, 2019, 05:40:36 PM

Holy fuck...  awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 09:32:45 PM

Speaking of holy fucks, apparently Illinois beat Michigan State in East Lansing tonight. Lovie Smith has a 4 game BigTen win streak right now O.o

He might finally be earning at least part of his ridiculous paycheck.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 07:55:09 AM

Minnesota beat fourth ranked Penn State in Minneapolis yesterday.  Going 9-0 for the first time since 1904. 

Much fan insanity ensued as this was biggest football victory in Minnesota since about 1967.

Trivia question:  what five states were not even in the union in 1904?

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 10:09:21 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:40 AM

It's looking like we're not going to get Bama again unless the committee wants to play footsie with a team that's lost to the only decent team they've played, and beaten literally nobody else. Solid chance Auburn isn't ranked by the time Alabama plays them if Georgia wins, which means that Bama won't have a single quality ranked win on their schedule.

Clemson will get invited because they play in the cupcake league to end all cupcake leagues. The ACC is so shitty this year, it's embarrassing. It's Clemson and uhhhhhh, that's right nobody in the ACC ranked besides Clemson. You're going to have a 3 loss team playing against Clemson in the final, and likely no teams in that crap league with less than 3 losses by the end because Wake will lose to Clemson this week.

I've never seen an ACC this bad in my time alive. Comcast has still rejected carrying their shitty network, and it's the right call. That crap won't be economically viable in 2 years when the rest of the league is still dominated by Clemson and Friends.

Meanwhile the Big 10 has never been stronger. I would LOVE for Minnesota to win out and get a shot at the title instead of Ohio State. That would be so much fun. I can sell PJ Fleck and that boat rowing crew of weirdos all month long.

Georgia wins out, Georgia gets in. They don't and LSU gets in, and I think LSU is light years better than Georgia this year, so I'm not holding out much hope in that game.

Then the final spot is ridiculous. You'll have a 1 loss Big 10 champ loser, a 1 loss Alabama, potentially a 1 loss LSU if they lose, a 1 loss Oklahoma as Big 12 champ, and a 1 loss Pac 12 champ.

My bet right now is it goes Clemson, LSU, Ohio State, and then I think they finally toss a bone to the Pac-12 over Oklahoma because OU has had two shots and couldn't compete. I don't think they tell both 1 loss champs they didn't earn it in favor of Alabama or Minnesota.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 12, 2019, 10:27:57 AM

I'm not saying it'll happen, but Baylor winning out should get in.

One thing has always bugged me about the college rankings. You play a ranked team early in the year and it's a huge win. But then that ranked team drops 3-4 games and all the sudden you look back and say that quality win at the time is not currently a quality win. I understand it, but I don't agree with it. The ranking of who you beat at the time should matter more than the ranking later in the season.

Either way... I can still see LSU drop the ARK game because they always seem to fuck that Golden Boot game at the worst times... no matter how bad that Razorbacks team is looking that year.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 12, 2019, 11:44:32 AM

I hope Minnesota misses the playoffs and instead gets the Rose Bowl. 

I think we would be exposed a bit in the playoffs against these traditional powerhouse programs.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 12:35:12 PM

The fact that Minnesota is as good as they are makes Illinois look less bad for getting trounced by them last month.

Not that I am willing to go out on a limb and say the Illini are finally a decent team again. But at least they aren't guaranteed to be worst in the Big10 anymore.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 11:42:24 AM

Everybody forgets about Baylor because their undefeated record has one barely ranked win against Oklahoma State.

That being said they not only have to beat Oklahoma, they have to beat them TWICE to get in.

Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 12:41:47 PM

Everybody forgets about Baylor because their undefeated record has one barely ranked win against Oklahoma State.

That being said they not only have to beat Oklahoma, they have to beat them TWICE to get in.

Well I mean tOSU is not beating ranked teams left and right either. Or Clemson...

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 01:41:47 PM

Yes Clemson is a sham team right now, but nobody can say anything because they'll go undefeated and they are the reigning champs. Gotta beat em.

Ohio State is odd. They are obviously running it up on shit teams to make a point, because they know their schedule is garbage. I think they are hoping that if they stumble against Penn State or somebody else, the committee will let it go because they were averaging 50 a game against hot air.

Ohio State is out if they lose to Penn State. They simply don't have enough good wins to warrant being in the playoff over teams who actually beat people, and they won't get to play in the Big 12 Championship.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:44:51 PM by Paelos »

Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 13, 2019, 01:53:36 PM

Yes Clemson is a sham team right now, but nobody can say anything because they'll go undefeated and they are the reigning champs. Gotta beat em.

Ohio State is odd. They are obviously running it up on shit teams to make a point, because they know their schedule is garbage. I think they are hoping that if they stumble against Penn State or somebody else, the committee will let it go because they were averaging 50 a game against hot air.

Ohio State is out if they lose to Penn State. They simply don't have enough good wins to warrant being in the playoff over teams who actually beat people, and they won't get to play in the Big 12 Championship.

I'm imagining a world where tOSU loses to PSU and PSU loses to Indiana. Then tOSU beats Minn in the B1G (or whatever the fuck it is called) and no one in the Big 10+ gets in.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 13, 2019, 04:29:06 PM

The name is still the Big Ten, it is just the logo that says B1G.

But fuck if I know, I just work in the same building as all the local people for the BigTen Network  and the Big Ten Academic Alliance :P

Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 13, 2019, 05:35:24 PM

The name is still the Big Ten, it is just the logo that says B1G.

But fuck if I know, I just work in the same building as all the local people for the BigTen Network  and the Big Ten Academic Alliance :P

I'm sure we all realize that and the fact that it doesn't logically apply to that conference anymore.  awesome, for real

Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 17, 2019, 08:23:35 AM

So much for Minn and Baylor..  swamp poop

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #55 on: November 18, 2019, 07:04:52 AM

So much for Minn and Baylor..  swamp poop

Baylor was the laugher, had it until they didn't.

Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 18, 2019, 07:51:39 AM

I'm a little alarmed at the fact LSU went from "traditional smash mouth, let our defense grind you up" to "BIG12 hang 50 every game" type gameplay.

It is obviously working and we have enough residual defense left over to make it work, but damn they are giving up a lot of points.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #57 on: November 18, 2019, 07:56:15 AM

LSU doing what they are doing gives me hope, because they haven't seen a defense like Georgia yet. We may have the best defense in the country right now.

Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:13 AM

Well we have exposed other defenses already... hopefully UGA will be solved as well. TBD.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 04:44:56 PM

LSU doing what they are doing gives me hope, because they haven't seen a defense like Georgia yet. We may have the best defense in the country right now.

*cough*

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 18, 2019, 05:25:13 PM

*cough*

No U....te.   awesome, for real

But yeah... Bama was no slouch on defense either so I like our chances in the SEC. That said, LSU still has to get passed Arkansas. Laugh all you want but they have fucked things up for us in the past - that damn golden boot trophy is a lot fo pressure.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #61 on: November 20, 2019, 02:11:55 PM

*cough*

Yards, yes. Points, we're ahead right now. The only one we're both behind is Ohio State and that's because it's Cupcake U right now.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #62 on: November 23, 2019, 09:17:31 PM

Arizona possibly played its best football game since we had Gronkowski trucking guys as a freshman. We'll still be garbage, but we're going to very likely ruin a few PAC12 team's chances at a good season this year. Team actually has an offense that isn't all dink and dunk passes and gives our defense chances to not be dead tired by the second quarter. Tate might even make a decent pro.

This post has not aged well. Not well at all. Fucking yikes.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 24, 2019, 12:55:30 AM

Heh. Its rare to see a team in conference play late in the season on literally "easy mode." Utah looked like a cat with a mouse that entire game. Just batting it around for fucking entertainment value.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: November 25, 2019, 06:33:12 AM

Assuming Utah wins their championship, I think they have an issue with Oklahoma, and likely need them to lose against to make it to the playoff.

Alabama didn't win their conference and they lost the only game that mattered. The best win they have will be either a 4 loss Aggie team or a 4 loss Auburn team. So I don't think the committee puts in a second SEC team over 2 conference 1 loss champs.

Oklahoma has a signature win against 1 loss Baylor, and they have several wins against better teams than Utah played.

Utah doesn't have a good win. Oregon losing twice now hurts their case further, because that's the only win they will get that matters. Everybody else? Minimum 5 losses, and the PAC-12 as a whole looks like a disaster.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 08:33:00 PM

Utah is looking better down the stretch.  Oklahoma over the last 4 games is 3-1 with an aggregate score of 145-144 and 10 TOs.   In that stretch Utah has blown everyone out of the water by the end of the 3rd quarter and are making PAC-12 offenses, which are typically prolific, give up the will to live.  National people are saying every single graduating or early leaver on the D will either be drafted or at least be in a pro camp. They have 6 players going to the Senior Bowl and the QB is putting up better numbers in some statistical categories than either Burrows or Lawrence.  Utah beat ASU when they were #17 and Washington at home coming off a bye. Its one loss was without their best player and against a team that finished in the top 25.  OKs loss is to a worse team than USC.  The Big 12 sucks across the board every bit as much as the PAC 12. Committee didn't give an undefeated Baylor much love showing that they actually don't think much about the conference.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if OSU beat OK this week anyways.

I think if Utah wins out and nothing weird happens in the SEC title game that they are in the playoff unless Bama just destroys Auburn and the committee just can't get past their SEC bias, but even then how do you take a team that only plays 8 conference games and didn't even win its division.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 10:18:48 AM

Ab, I love your enthusiasm for your program, but I think Utah is fighting two things here:

1 - Yes Utah has blown out everyone. There's a reason. The PAC-12 is bad with the vast majority of the conference having 5 losses or more, and only the ACC rivals it for shittiest Power 5 conference this year. And the only game they lost was against is also the only other team that's currently ranked in the poll. Honestly USC would have been their best win if they had done it. As it stands, they have no good wins, and they'll have to beat Oregon to get a shot which is absolutely no guarantee. You can reference the Arizona state win, but they have 5 losses now. That won't hold up. Washington has 5 losses and may take a 6th.

2 - Is your loss better than Oklahoma? Yes. Is it better than Alabama? No. However, it won't matter if there's no signature wins to go along with it. You get credit for going undefeated even against relatively bad competition, but you don't get credit for dropping one game in that same stretch. Also despite your opinion that the committee doesn't like the Big 12 any more than the Pac 12, there's 4 ranked teams in one and 3 in the other. They obviously think the Big 12 warranted better consideration.

If Georgia beats LSU, you're fucked because they aren't leaving LSU out with one loss, but wins over Auburn, Alabama, and Florida all of whom are still ranked currently. If LSU wins, then you have then I think you have to deal with the fact that Oklahoma has better ranked wins. They'll have the Baylor win, the Iowa State win, and the Oklahoma State win (you can also count the Texas win if you want to used ranked at the time logic like Arizona State). And then they'll have another ranked win because they play Baylor again.

Best case scenario? LSU wins, and Oklahoma takes a loss to OK State or Baylor. Then your path is wide open. I don't think they take a 1 loss non-champion Alabama who lost their best weapon at QB (which honestly I think is the main reason, if Tua is healthy I think you'd have a MAJOR stumbling block). Hell I'm not sure Alabama can actually beat Auburn without their offense actually working right, and I'm betting they look bad.

EDIT: And just so you know, I'm not rooting against you here. I WANT Utah in the title shot over the same old shitty OU who can't play defense when it matters or fucking Bama. I'm just voicing my concerns about the committee TV-rating-loving groupthink.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:21:25 AM by Paelos »

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 27, 2019, 08:08:50 PM

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, just putting out a different perspective.  The Committee yesterday clearly set up the narrative that if a 11-1 OK and 11-1 Baylor play, that winner is likely going to get into the 4. That's the only reason they stuck Baylor as high as they did this week.  It's the same set-up they established for the PAC-12 until The Oregon Fucks managed to screw it up.

This week I am a very big OSU and Auburn fan as that is the only path right now.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 02:04:57 AM

Heh, Bama losing because of a hinky FG only existing because of a replay and then clanging one off the post PLUS having 12 guys on the field once they force a punt is

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 01, 2019, 07:27:04 AM

Just want to go on record and say I'd like to see Utah vs tOSU and LSU vs Clemson. tOSU and Utah - would be interesting to see the defenses.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: College Football 2019-20: We're all hoping it's not Clemson and Bama again  
Jump to: