Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: College Football 2019-20: We're all hoping it's not Clemson and Bama again 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: College Football 2019-20: We're all hoping it's not Clemson and Bama again  (Read 37676 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: July 15, 2019, 07:41:26 AM

SEC Media Days kicks off today, which ushers in the beginning of the College Football season for most of us here down south. For those of you that care, this is the time of year where I enjoy Saturdays more than most, and I also love making a few timely wagers. Last year I brought home enough to subsidize a nice February cruise, making it my best gambling year ever.

Here's what we know:

Clemson still has Trevor Lawrence, who would likely have gone first round in the NFL last year if he were allowed to leave, but he's stuck for another 2 years and so are we as opposing fans of Clemson.

Bama is still Bama, and if you're an SEC team all road go through them.

Ohio State looks to recover from a frankly embarrassing ass-kicking in 2018 by Purdue that cost them a title shot. Although they should have lost to Maryland and Penn State as well, yet held on. They'll try to do that with UGA Transfer QB, Justin Fields, who is a problem child I don't think they fully understand yet, but as a UGA fan I'm silently laughing at what's coming since Justin can run, but he sure as hell can't throw the ball well or read a defense.

Georgia is primed to take on the East with ease, a half of the conference which frankly looks like dogshit compare to the other half. If they trip up and lose to Florida, that's the only really tough game on that half of the schedule.. Tennessee is still floundering, Kentucky is decent but will never be a real contender, South Carolina has and always will suck, Vandy's gonna vandy, and nobody takes Mizzou seriously since they screwed up and accused the entire system of civil rights violations that never actually happened.

Will the Pac-12 get off its ass and put a team into the playoff? Magic Eight Ball says all signs point to no, unless Washington can pull off an undefeated season.

Will anybody in the ACC take down Clemson? No, it's hilariously thin. The next best team to Clemson in Vegas odds is Miami at 100-1, and they changed head coaches. It's nobody. The ACC outside of Clemson is such hot garbage it should be called Clemson and friends.

Will Michigan actually get off its ass and beat Ohio State? MAYBE, and if Harbaugh was ever going to do it, now's the time. I don't expect Ohio State to be strong as they figure out their QB issues, and I also don't expect Michigan to tolerate a coach who hasn't ever beaten Ohio State keeping his job much longer.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:42:59 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:46 AM

This will hopefully be the year of the surprise teams in every conference. Come on Vandy, Virginia, Iowa, Cal.  swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:47:01 PM

Will the Pac-12 get off its ass and put a team into the playoff? Magic Eight Ball says all signs point to no, unless Washington can pull off an undefeated season.

Utah is a sleeper team this year. Has a lot of talent coming back and may finally have an OC that can use it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:11:20 AM

If you like Utah, might be a good idea to toss $100 on it because I'm seeing 17/1 on them winning the conference. Great odds.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:16:26 PM

If you like Utah, might be a good idea to toss $100 on it because I'm seeing 17/1 on them winning the conference. Great odds.

"Like Utah" might be a bit under-representing just how much of a fan of the Utes Ab is.  why so serious?

Wondering if Lovie Smith will keep his "$1million+ salary per win" record this season, or if his team will force him to take a per-game paycut.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 08:36:08 PM

Where are you seeing that? I've seen them 10-1 to be in the playoffs.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 06:33:13 AM

Where are you seeing that? I've seen them 10-1 to be in the playoffs.

You're right, I had found a 2018 list. It's 5-1 to win the conference this year, my bad.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 06:33:55 AM

"Like Utah" might be a bit under-representing just how much of a fan of the Utes Ab is.  why so serious?

Wondering if Lovie Smith will keep his "$1million+ salary per win" record this season, or if his team will force him to take a per-game paycut.

When I said "like Utah" I mean to bet them  why so serious? I know he's as much a Utes fan as I am a Dawgs fan.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 01:39:28 PM

Here's to Rutgers winning 1 Big 10 game this year!
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 11:47:06 AM

UW has a new QB who should be more effective than the noodle arm they had last year. They lost some big names of D, but that hasn't seemed to matter in the past few years. Offensive line , TE and RB should be very good. They should be in the running for the conference title, and an outside shot at the playoffs if things break right.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 12:00:18 AM

I wish Peterson didn't have Wittingham's peter in his pocket.

My only consolation is that the championship game last year turned on a fluky bounce so if one breaks the Utes way this year who knows.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:53:05 AM

I forgot that two of you are going to have transfer QBs from my school playing for your teams this year  why so serious?

Here's my impressions of both:

Jacob Eason - Kid has a cannon for an arm, but his footwork was terrible and he never seemed to be able to do well on the touch passes. His accuracy as a UGA QB was laughable 55%, and that was in a system where he was only being asked to throw about 28 times a game. Jake Browning was statistically better than him in his freshman year by far, but doesn't have the size or the raw arm talent. The knock on Eason was that he fell in love with the life of being an SEC quarterback, and didn't want to put in the work it required. He's very similar to Stafford in that regard, except Stafford was WAY more talented than Eason ever was. If Eason can fix his work ethic, his footwork, and get some time to set and throw the ball down the field? He'll be a great asset. If he's still a lazy shithead, you're going to be massively disappointed as you watch him overthrow receivers like crazy since he has no touch game.

Justin Fields - Again, the knock on Fields is that he's a shithead from a family of shitheads who believe he's the second coming. His parents were such a pain in the ass about his playing time that Kirby Smart eventually gave them the finger and stopped playing the kid entirely, hoping he would just transfer. At one point there's a video of Fields grumping his way off the field saying essentially, "He didn't do shit but hand off." Nobody knows enough about Fields arm to tell if you if he can hold up in the pocket and actually throw the ball around accurately because the Georgia staff never trusted him enough to do it consistently. Athletically he's enormous listed at 6'3" 225, but looks bigger, and he can run with the best of him. I said he looks like a slightly smaller Cam Newton when I saw him up close. That's where his skills lie, so if Ohio State puts him in a dual-threat RPO setup? He'll thrive. I have no idea what they are doing though at Ohio State now offensively, so I'm in wait and see mode.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:56:24 AM by Paelos »

WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 09:26:26 PM

I wish Peterson didn't have Wittingham's peter in his pocket.

My only consolation is that the championship game last year turned on a fluky bounce so if one breaks the Utes way this year who knows.

That was one of the strangest football games I have ever watched.

After watching Jake Browning under-throw every deep ball for 4 years, I am looking forward to Eason's arm at least. He has a shitton of talent around him on the offense (his WR are green, but every other spot is stacked), so hopefully he gets inspired to give a shit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:28:33 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 08:19:38 AM

I've been in a college football pick'em pool for about 10 years now, and we're doing it again this year. It's 50-60 people usually. $110 entry, prizes paid weekly and the top 3 on the season get the big money. You pick 35 games a week against the spread. It will really test your skills as a college football fan when you have to pick Alabama -42.5 against the Citadel.

If anybody is interested I'll post the link here so you can sign up.

Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:56 AM

I'm just hoping this season an LSU quarterback throws a game or two over 300y. Of course if that happens then everyone will know the end of the world is truly upon us.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 06:13:48 AM

Rocky Top, you'll always be...
An Orange joke to me.

Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 03:02:25 PM

Rocky Top, you'll always be...
An Orange joke to me.

If you are going to lose, lose early.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 06:32:46 AM

To be fair, I have a Masters from Georgia State, so I'm threatening to actually find that diploma I never hung and put it up in the office now.

Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:32:48 AM

I'd point and laugh, but losing to Troy still hurts.  Ohhhhh, I see.

WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 06:40:02 PM

Eason kid is legit. He threw a 50 yard TD pass that was a thing of beauty....hit the guy in stride right in the numbers. One of the best deep balls I have seen in recent memory.

This week we will find out a lot more about him. Cal's defense is really fucking good.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 11:16:20 PM

Cal's defense is really fucking good.

I know a better one.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Utes beat BYU for the 9th straight time.  It's getting almost boring at this point. We also ran the most vanilla shit imaginable.

Rain delay with 9 minutes left in the game with Utah having the ball on their own 10. BYU never saw the ball again. Kneel down on their 3 yard line. 

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 06:30:16 AM

Utes are good. They'll still have issues with Washington and Oregon, I think.

The PAC-12 is stronger than in recent memory, and I think the committee has Big 12 fatigue with OU. If Oklahoma stumbles at all in a 1-loss race between conferences I think the Pac-12 will finally get the nod.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 11:53:12 PM

Would only play Oregon in the conference championship game as we skip them regular season this year. 

Can't believe Tennessee managed to fuck up a 3 point lead against BYU with them on their own 20, with no timeouts, and 18 seconds.  Like, you almost need to TRY to give up a 64 yard play in that situation.

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 03:55:58 AM

I'm just hoping this season an LSU quarterback throws a game or two over 300y. Of course if that happens then everyone will know the end of the world is truly upon us.

The end is nigh.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 03:33:26 PM

Illinois won their first road non-conference game in the Lovie Smith era this weekend at UConn.

He might actually earn his fucking giant paycheck finally.

Who am I kidding? They will go 0-everything in the Big10+4

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 02:01:52 PM

Arizona possibly played its best football game since we had Gronkowski trucking guys as a freshman. We'll still be garbage, but we're going to very likely ruin a few PAC12 team's chances at a good season this year. Team actually has an offense that isn't all dink and dunk passes and gives our defense chances to not be dead tired by the second quarter. Tate might even make a decent pro.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #26 on: September 18, 2019, 08:22:39 AM

Georgia plays Notre Dame this weekend, and tickets were going for about $500+ for terrible seats.

We're 14 point favorites, and I have no idea why everybody is so jacked up about this game, but here we are. I'm going, but I'm not expecting this to be that exciting based on what I saw against Louisville. Who knows though?

Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 09:23:26 AM

Georgia plays Notre Dame this weekend, and tickets were going for about $500+ for terrible seats.

We're 14 point favorites, and I have no idea why everybody is so jacked up about this game, but here we are. I'm going, but I'm not expecting this to be that exciting based on what I saw against Louisville. Who knows though?

UGA better win because fuck everything about ND

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: September 19, 2019, 07:10:53 AM

We should win. We're bigger on both sides of the ball, and statistically we're a better team than them in almost all facets. Yes we've played Vandy, Murray State, and AK State. They've played Louisville and New Mexico. Throw out the Murray State game, and comparing the two other opponents, Vandy and Louisville are about the same, and Arkansas State is WAY better than New Mexico.

Georgia is better in total offense, essentially the same in scoring, and better by about 60 positions in Total Defense.

The biggest swings are in 3 areas.

Notre Dame is 121st in 3rd down conversions, going up against a top 10 defense. That's 121st against crap defenses too.
Notre Dame is #1 in turnover margin. They've made their living getting the ball, which works against bad teams. It works less against a team that likes to run first and not throw, which Georgia does.
Georgia is 8th in rushing offense in the nation. Notre Dame is 120th in rushing defense.

It should be a ground and pound bloodbath with a bunch of ND 3 and outs, and Georgia hammering the ball at them for 4 quarters.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 09:22:53 PM

Fuck USC you shitgobbling dicklords.

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 05:38:44 AM

Sorry Ab, Utah really shit the bed on that one. Four point favorites on the road against a bad USC team, and that will likely effectively eliminate the PAC-12 from the playoffs again since the top 3 teams have all already lost by Week 4.

The story of the game was drive-killing penalties for Utah. I think they played better than USC in most of that game, dominated ball control, and basically won every facet except for special teams and penalties. They had to settle for too many FG tries, and even had one blocked. Also the safety on the penalty was the disaster that killed the game when Utah was still very much in it.

Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 12, 2019, 02:47:22 PM

What a day for Fromm to fall apart.  ACK!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 06:06:35 AM

Not UGA's finest hour. I'm hoping that's the kick in the ass this bunch of slacker 5-stars needed to remind them you actually have to show up and try against every opponent.

Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 07:01:38 AM

Not UGA's finest hour. I'm hoping that's the kick in the ass this bunch of slacker 5-stars needed to remind them you actually have to show up and try against every opponent.

Well Saturday is LSU's trap game against a lesser opponent so we'll see what happens on that front. Actually watched a bit of the LSU game up until it got tied up. At that point I flipped it off out of fear of the impending disappointment of losing at home again to fucking Florida. Shocked they pulled it out and still shocked LSU actually has a passing offense in league with big12 standards.

Twas the weekend for upsets though...

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 07:17:31 AM

Missouri is leading the SEC East for the moment  why so serious?

LSU is the real deal, nothing to worry about there. The concern for them is defense, which is odd. That's not normally their issue but in this case their offense goes so fast I think they put more pressure on a decent defensive squad.

Both the games against Auburn and Alabama will be problems because their pass defenses are both light years better than anything you've seen yet. That's the ultimate test.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: College Football 2019-20: We're all hoping it's not Clemson and Bama again  
Jump to: