Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War Series? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total War Series?  (Read 3186 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

on: June 16, 2019, 10:21:10 AM

I probably shouldn't do this, as I just bought a ton of games that I probably won't finish playing before the end of the year (hell I have almost 20 games on Steam I've owned for over 5 years that I never played) but I'm thinking about getting at least one of the TW games. I already own Shogun 2 (no dlcs tho) and I really liked it.

For whatever reason searching for stuff on f13 is a pita for me right now. From what I gather though there are some TW titles that are better than others. Which ones should I buy and which ones should I stay away from?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:25:36 AM

Well you've already played the best one so there's nowhere to go but down from there awesome, for real

As for which other game to pick up it depends a lot on which of the many periods and worlds that are available that you would enjoy playing in. If we're picking the, say, remaining top 5 games regardless of setting it would probably be something like, in reverse release date order:

Warhammer II & I
Empire
Medieval II

Three Kingdoms just released and seems to be getting pretty good reviews so far so that's another option if you like that period.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:25:42 AM

Shogun 2 was the 2nd weakest of the bunch, IMO - Rome 2 being the worst/buggiest of the lot.

Warhammer is solid, especially if you like the GW world, and Medieval 2 is good though the graphics might feel a bit dated now. I personally love Empire but it's not considered among the best because of dumb AI (it's one of my faves because the period of history is one of my faves). Napoleon is an improvement on Empire but for some reason every time I try to play it, I bounce right off.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:48:56 AM

Shogun 2 is great. Just buy the dlc's and play it more.

Warhammer is hugely disappointing to me. I've gotten almost no enjoyment out of it. To the point where I'm not sure I'll even buy the 2nd one.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:08:07 PM

This is sorta like discussing horror movies. I mean, what do you like? If you are a serious Rome buff you'll probably like those games even with the bugs.

There is even an Arthurian themed TW game for Merlin's sake (and I even enjoyed it). I also liked the Caribbean themed game. All of them are playable, just pick the setting you think you'd most like and start from there.

Although I agree with Hoax about the Warhammer one. I expected to really get into it and it just felt flat to me. No interest at all after a few battles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 06:23:48 PM

I  loved Warhammer 1 and 2, but Fall of the Samurai for Shogun 2 is still my all-time favorite.  I haven't given Three Kingdoms much time yet, but it looked good the little I did play.

Rome 2 is great now, too.  It had a lot of trouble at launch but Creative Assembly gave it some love and now it runs pretty well.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:16 PM

This is sorta like discussing horror movies. I mean, what do you like? If you are a serious Rome buff you'll probably like those games even with the bugs.

There is even an Arthurian themed TW game for Merlin's sake (and I even enjoyed it). I also liked the Caribbean themed game. All of them are playable, just pick the setting you think you'd most like and start from there.

Although I agree with Hoax about the Warhammer one. I expected to really get into it and it just felt flat to me. No interest at all after a few battles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm no history buff so any setting is fine with me. I was just looking for a different setting, but I might start with Shogun 2 dlcs and move on from there. There's an Empire + Napoleon  collection so that may be my second purchase.

I was going to go to one of those shady sites but I may just wait for a sale.

Thanks all.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 01:52:08 AM

Warhammer and Shogun are the best ones.

I'm told 3 kingdoms is good but haven't played it yet.

The Medieval and Rome titles are fine but dated, the Empire versions are bad.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 01:58:21 AM

Shogun 2 is great. Just buy the dlc's and play it more.

Warhammer is hugely disappointing to me. I've gotten almost no enjoyment out of it. To the point where I'm not sure I'll even buy the 2nd one.

Warhammer I was mediocre at launch.

Warhammer II espeicially is better now.

That said, I do think the fantasy elements make the mechanics seem more 'gamey'. The historical titles benefit from the limits they put on designers.

For that exact reason I'm interested to play 3 kingdoms which has a 'romance' and 'historical' mode. Romance is based on the legends and seems like a halfway house between WH and the historical titles.

If I was buying a TW tomorrow I'd probably just go ahead and buy 3 kingdoms.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 06:34:01 PM

I love Warhammer 2.

Still getting into 3K but enjoying it so far and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Eagerly awaiting mod support though, wish it had launched with it.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 01:11:40 AM

If you play for the strategy layer then  3k is probably best or maybe Shogun(?)

If you play for battles the Warhammer takes the cake by far as it has the most varied and interesting units. Monsters, flying units, field artillery, magic open up the game for many new strategies and army compositions *

*though i would suggest a mod to remove army skills
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 09:13:38 AM

Why is that?

I'm thinking about going back and trying this one again. I may have just not been in a large battles mood when I played it before.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 01:03:54 PM

Why is that?

I'm thinking about going back and trying this one again. I may have just not been in a large battles mood when I played it before.

Shogun and 3k have the most defined and unique dimolomatic and strategic structure iirc.

The army skills thing mainly in warhammer because the battles are the most important part of the game and

1) the AI is bad with it (selecting the right units/skill) this creates an uneven experience
2) theyre too good. +8/+8 to 1000 units will usually trump +12 to one unit.
3) they promote degenerate army compositions

units when dont get the chosen skills or dont get the best skills will fall by the wayside compared to the units that do. As a result you will find yourself with a lot of armies that consist of one or two unit types because even adding a cavalry unit was a decent idea you cant compete with another unit of crossbowmen who get 12% more damage and are cheaper.

4)they prevent heroes from being effective units in armies (unless those heroes are already hilarious level with sweet magic items... and even then)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War Series?  
Jump to: