Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Baldur's Gate 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 56119 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 01, 2020, 12:19:58 AM

Is there multiple solutions ton the tadpoles in your head?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 01, 2020, 06:11:26 AM

As an aside, as someone who's on the fence about BG3 I really appreciate the discussion and feedback you folks are having.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: November 01, 2020, 08:21:24 AM

On the fence how?

I guess it depends on what you are interested in, but it is a pretty damn good 5e video game experience.  Well worth my 60 bucks already, even unfinished and imperfect.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 01, 2020, 10:23:41 AM

Most important thing is probably that I'm not a big fan of Larian's storytelling so far, and I'm hoping that it improves.

There are also a lot of D:OS mechanics which BG3 seems to make a big deal of. Line of sight is probably a good example, I found it finnicky and annoying to deal with in D:OS2. Surfaces are probably another clear example. There's other stuff I've seen, such as the mob HP, or how experience is gained, but that's all second hand information for me.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 01, 2020, 12:35:41 PM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:13:11 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: November 01, 2020, 05:00:41 PM

Also: the basic premise of the early game-how do we remove the parasites-would be solved in under a minute by most gaming groups I’ve played with, as soon as they learned how simple it is to revive the dead.  Take turns killing each other, squash tadpole, revive  why so serious?
Except that does not work. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 01, 2020, 07:16:55 PM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:14:07 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: October 14, 2021, 12:11:48 PM

Just in case anyone still cares - BG3 has released patch 6. It includes the new Sorceror class and a new area in the Underdark.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 14, 2021, 12:13:26 PM

I just don't want to play it again until it's ready or nearly so, I think.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: October 14, 2021, 12:23:00 PM

I don't mind putting a few hours into it after each big patch, but I've never even come close to consuming all of the content in Act 1.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: October 15, 2021, 07:21:54 PM

I stopped at the Underdark on my first runthrough because it was plain I was underpowered (and that the combat model was badly tuned).
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: October 16, 2021, 04:09:25 AM

I stopped at the Underdark on my first runthrough because it was plain I was underpowered (and that the combat model was badly tuned).

Same for me - although I think it was more because you are clearly ready to be at level 5 when you get there, which is a massive power difference in 5e.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: October 16, 2021, 05:31:20 AM

The leveling process still feels all wrong. I get to level 3 in just a few hours and then it takes forever to get to level 4. I've never actually gotten that far. The feeling of being underpowered drives me away.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: October 16, 2021, 06:23:28 AM

The leveling process still feels all wrong. I get to level 3 in just a few hours and then it takes forever to get to level 4. I've never actually gotten that far. The feeling of being underpowered drives me away.

But that is exactly how 5e is.  Not something they should be messing with, IMO.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 13, 2022, 04:04:30 AM

I went back for another round of this.

Not worth it yet imo. And the performance in this current patch is really bad for me.

The chained group movement system continues to be the worst part of the game. But it doesn't look like they're going to fix that.

Otherwise, I'm still looking forward to playing the final release, they are mostly moving in the right directions (though I have no incidence in their ability to stick the overall plot).
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 13, 2022, 08:59:06 AM

I just started again too. Is it my imagination or have they drastically improved Shadowheart's stats?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 13, 2022, 10:55:56 AM

I almost started another playthrough, but I think I'm inclined just to wait for the final release. I don't want to stop with half the actual content yet to come.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 27, 2022, 04:23:19 AM

But that is exactly how 5e is.  Not something they should be messing with, IMO.

I keep going back and forth on this with Baldur's Gate 3.  Not sure if its the feeling that I am underpowered or I am just transitioning badly to the system that is getting me.  I find myself unable to reconcile the utter worthlessness of a lot of the battles as risk versus reward ratio doesn't seem to be where it needs to be.  I also find myself completely bored and unable to see any multiple solutions to things other than hulk smash, but maybe that is on me.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 27, 2022, 04:32:33 AM

I've played a Bard and a Ranger up to level 4 at this point. They've either made the jump from 3 to 4 easier or I've gotten better at the game because I know how to do the major fights from repeating them a million times. Both classes are fun BTW.
In my latest playthrough, I've actually brought Laezel along instead of Shadowheart and I must admit it's nice to have a meat shield standing between Asterion and me and the monsters we're shooting arrows at.

I've never had much use for bards before. I was put off by Rognar the Gnome in NWN2 and I never bothered with any of them again.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: December 14, 2022, 12:53:06 PM

Well, Patch 9 has been released on Steam. It has the Paladin class as a significant new addition. They also announced an official release date of August 2023. There are teasers about what happens once you get to Baldur's Gate up now, which I was pleased to see.

I'm downloading right now and I think I just might roll myself up a Paladin.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 11, 2023, 07:15:50 PM

August release date for the whole thing btw.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 03, 2023, 08:19:06 AM

So, is this actually good without making allowances for omg Baldurs Gate and D&D nostalgia?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 03, 2023, 08:44:09 AM

I can tell you just from 400 hours playing the prerelease version that it's very good. From what I've heard, the release version that I'm downloading right now is significantly better.

They've made all of the main companions playable just like they were in DOS2. I liked that feature but I'm going to do a custom character the first time through. And it'll be fun seeing all the missing cutscenes that most of you will probably skip.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #163 on: August 03, 2023, 12:01:17 PM

Is it worth picking up if I totally missed the prior BG games or do I need to go back and play those first?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 03, 2023, 01:27:09 PM

I think it's likely better if you've never played the previous BGs, which are better in the nostalgic imagination than they are to play these days. There's a fair amount of Easter eggs in this one but I think it's fundamentally a different kind of game.

Also, you can have sex with a bear. https://www.polygon.com/23793804/baldurs-gate-3-halsin-bear-sex-scene-memes-romance
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #165 on: August 03, 2023, 11:50:12 PM

Is it worth picking up if I totally missed the prior BG games or do I need to go back and play those first?

You're fine without, at least by my current impression. This feels like a cool blend of old infinity engine with modern Larian driven touches.

What I've played so far is quite impressive.

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 04, 2023, 04:24:42 AM

Definitely do not go back and play BG2.

It's not worth it for the pain of battling the UI alone.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 04, 2023, 04:30:19 AM

Other than being set in Baldur's Gate (I assume! I'm not there yet!) it doesn't have any explicit ties to the older games. I think there might be a couple of character cameos and some of the books you can pick up and read reference events in those games but if you didn't play it, it's just kind of "hmm...history." and if you did it's like "Yeah, I remember Sarevok, I was so glad to kill that A-hole!"

tl;dr It's the third game set in Baldur's gate but is not a direct sequel to 1 & 2 from a plot and story perspective.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #168 on: August 04, 2023, 06:49:01 AM

Any recommendations on classes, etc for a first run through?  Want to make sure I don't end up in a party that can't pick lock or make certain important skill checks.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 04, 2023, 10:45:49 AM

Your initial companions are a Cleric, fighter, warlock, mage and rogue. So the basics are covered. I like melee characters with a touch of magic so I usually play a Paladin or a Ranger.

If you want the basic background story, that long series of posts from WindupAtheist from back in the day should cover it pretty well.
I'm sure Schild or Trippy would remember where it's been squirrelled away.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 04, 2023, 06:32:29 PM

I played Early Access when it first came out and then set it aside because I was sure I would enjoy the rest and didn't want to spoil it with a lot of incremental, creeping playthroughs.

But I will say this about Larian + modified 5th Ed D&D: it's peculiarly tiring. Like, it's sort of like X-Com and Bio-Ware had furious sex and their baby is a very precocious, amusing but also exhausting toddler. You not only have to worry really hard about all sorts of dialogues with NPCs (party and non-party) but also most encounters are either disasters or winnable depending on a lot of decisions you make in advance about positioning, preparation, etc. It's like playing D&D with a very exacting GM who has great storytelling skills but is pretty precise about mechanics and is also not very loose about party dynamics. Unlike a lot of the games in the genre, I can only take a few hours at a time. Or maybe I'm just getting old.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 05, 2023, 09:44:18 AM

Wow, I was thinking about getting this, and your description completely turned me off (and is what I find tedious about tactical games).  Is there an easy mode?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 05, 2023, 12:48:36 PM

Yes. And in this case, I could see someone doing it, because the companions are pretty interesting, the locations are pretty involving, etc.

There are a fair number of fights you can avoid, also, even on Balanced mode. You have a lot of options, most of the time. But Larian's approach to combat is definitely "all spells and powers have tactical uses, and all tactics need to be considered in tougher fights".
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 05, 2023, 06:02:38 PM

That's good info to take on board as I've been hesitating over buying the game. I'll still buy it I suspect, but I'm happy to wait for it to get a discount on Steam

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 05, 2023, 07:42:03 PM

I mean, it's really good, but I don't feel quite that "just one more turn oh my god it's 3am" pull, because you really do have to pay attention throughout.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  
Jump to: