Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: New SW Trilogy Based on KOTOR Video Game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New SW Trilogy Based on KOTOR Video Game?  (Read 5726 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

on: May 23, 2019, 10:09:59 PM

http://collider.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-movie-laeta-kalogridis/

It hasn't been confirmed that I know of, although someone on twitter said Kathleen Kennedy confirmed the KOTOR part but not the writer.

I really want the Imperial Agent story line from SW:TOR to be made a movie or something, but I guess this is good too.

Never actually played KOTOR but it's on my Steam account. Anyone know of any mods to improve the graphics?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:32 PM

Anyone know of any mods to improve the graphics?

sure, wait for the movie to come out and be upset with your own nostalgia and not the graphics
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:53:34 PM

HK-47 for life!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 02:53:58 AM

IMO, since they're so crucial to the whole SW theme (from a "in-universe" point of view, not necessarily, of course, from a marketing/viewership one), I would have gone "full origin story" and tell the story of how the Force was discovered, and the birth of the Jedi Order and the Sith.

But hey, maybe that's another cow to milk in the future  awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 06:25:48 AM

Maybe that's what Benioff and Weiss will do.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:02:45 AM

The problem is that a plot structure that feels fresh in a video game is going to seem old hat in a film.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 04:48:47 PM

There's a solid story there obviously. I don't see the issue. It comes down to writing and directing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 09:35:26 PM

There's a solid story there obviously. I don't see the issue. It comes down to writing and directing.
what Star Wars is known for
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 02:39:59 PM

The problem is that a plot structure that feels fresh in a video game is going to seem old hat in a film.
Not to mention the biggest fans already know the big reveal. Which means either you do something else, and piss them off, or you go through with it and they bitch you didn't do anything "innovative".

I mean you could really do something great with Kreia, and the whole "Pissed off at living in a world with goddamn, magic-enforced destiny" thing. I mean knowing that you live in a universe without free will has to suck goddamn balls, especially if you're one of the "lucky few" who have that fact ground into your face day after day.

I don't see them doing a trilogy over that, with Kreia as the hidden mind trying to break the Force. Pity. It'd be a nice break between "Want to rule the galaxy/got to destroy the superweapon/I am your father" story.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 09:57:24 PM

My impression was it's not about the video game series. It's simply set in a similar era. If it is based on the games that's not a very good idea for the reasons outlined above.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 02:50:37 AM

Not to mention the biggest fans already know the big reveal. Which means either you do something else, and piss them off, or you go through with it and they bitch you didn't do anything "innovative".

I mean you could really do something great with Kreia, and the whole "Pissed off at living in a world with goddamn, magic-enforced destiny" thing. I mean knowing that you live in a universe without free will has to suck goddamn balls, especially if you're one of the "lucky few" who have that fact ground into your face day after day.

I don't see them doing a trilogy over that, with Kreia as the hidden mind trying to break the Force. Pity. It'd be a nice break between "Want to rule the galaxy/got to destroy the superweapon/I am your father" story.

If a film is bad when you already know the twist, it is a bad film.

I sceptical this is going to go anywhere. The central Revan/Malak story is a great pitch idea - but I'd really guess once you start development on a story like that there isn't enough worth saving in the rest of the story. You'd be better writing a story 'inspired' by revan and Malak with the freedom of different characters in a different time.

I espeicially doubt they'll touch kotor 2 with a barge pole. Because it is very very bad. Again the idea of kreia is cool but there is not enough in kotor 2 that would make it worth salvaging her.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 02:36:49 AM

They could do Darth Bane.  Not the same time period as KOTOR, but there is far less material out there to pollute the water.

Or even KOTOR post-Revan.  MMO and a few books aside, not very well-known. 

Or hell, just take a smallish crap on the existing lore and re-make the Revan story.  I would watch the shit out of that.  They already have a comic relief droid ready to go, as well.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 05:26:47 AM

I'm not sure most of the KOTOR story is known to the majority of people out there. KOTOR came out a long time ago.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 05:48:42 AM

Well, I kinda agree with some comments I read elsewhere that the underlying theme (and other potential sub-plots) of the Old Republic is just like the original trilogy/prequels just with moar Jedi/Sith (hence my preference about actually going much further back).

Sure, spectators/fans want more of the same (Marvel universe), so they'll probably rack in money no matter what.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 07:59:06 AM

MCU movies have legs because they can get away with very big tonal shits between different heroes, and even do completely different genre movies with the same hero.  They have the freedom to make different movies.  MCU is very much not more of the same.

Pretty much every Star Wars is a Star Wars movie so far.  Some with just far worst writing and acting than others.  There are obviously variances, but nothing like the massive differences between MCU movies.  This is why the MCU has legs, and Star Wars fatigue is a real thing.

I’m all for them exploiting the IP to their hearts content if they would get more brave and creative than what we’ve been seeing with the last few.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 08:09:44 AM

There is room within the Star Wars canon for different types of movies. Rogue One was a war movie. Solo was meant to be a heist/crime drama. One of those was successful. The other wasn't (commercially - and some would say narratively).

I'm not saying the formula is "make a good movie" because clearly Last Jedi disproved that shit. Another solution might be "have an executive who is not a pud, or pick your directors and back them instead of yanking them and asking Richie Cunningham to fix the mistakes you let them make."

Rogue One made bank without most of the usual Star Wars staples (prominent Jedi character for one thing). KotOR movies should have no problem being recognized as Star Wars, and should have freedom to do some different genre explorations. The first rule is going to be "know that movie's vision and stick with it."

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 08:26:19 AM

Wait, you mean showing focus groups unfinished portions of your film and requiring the director to follow their preferences is a bad thing?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 08:43:24 AM

I'm not sure most of the KOTOR story is known to the majority of people out there. KOTOR came out a long time ago.

I was going to say more or less the same thing, but the problem is that the general story would ultimately get out and become known.  Some of the more important bits, anyway.  But on the other other other hand....they wouldn’t have to follow it.  Would be easy enough to fake out even the fans in the know and change it up.  I can think of one or two ideas off the top of my head.

But to what extent would Disney shit on the KOTOR canon?  I assume they sorta consider it EU, but haven’t really bothered to check.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 09:11:53 AM

Guys, they adapt popular novels into movies all the time.  Everybody already knows the plot and major twists, yet people still line up around the block to see them and love (or hate) them.  This is no different, and has the advantage of coming from a more obscure source than most adaptations. A perfect adaptation of the games plot would be the least of this films problem.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 09:35:11 AM

I mean....it will be successful commercially almost no matter what they do.  I thought we were just putting our berets on to figure out how it could also be good.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 05:28:00 AM

If I were in charge, I'd just start up somewhere in the Star Wars time line far away from any established lore/stories and just be creative. It'll have to have a setting that is somewhat different so you can easily identify and understand that none of the characters you know are alive or born yet.

Something like galactic civilization has been destroyed and it's more Star-Trek like where it's regional parts of the Galaxy. Or that galactic civilization hasn't start yet. Any other kind of time period it's just going to be a story about star wars with sith and jedi and fighting a big bad.

The thing about Star Wars is that the backdrop (tech/force/vehicles) are as much a character as the actual actors. You can't get away from them in any meaninful way unless you change them completely. And then, if you do, that might not be a star wars movie and it'll flop.

Interesting problem they have, creatively. They will probably fail.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:21 AM

You are right on the money about the backdrop stuff being important.  The original trilogy has the most iconic ship design top to bottom than literally everything.  The prequel shit and new shit does okay, but nothing like the original stuff.  Moving things 4000 years early will be a challenge, although they already have a couple iconic designs they can start to use even in that time frame.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: New SW Trilogy Based on KOTOR Video Game?  
Jump to: