Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 189222 times)
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 11:15:13 PM

Because the hero looked into her feelings and knew it to be true. The same way that Luke knew that Vader wasn't lying about being his dad.

Also because Rey being nobody is the best thing to happen to Star Wars in a long time and it would legit be shit if it were not true.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 14, 2019, 02:50:36 PM

Focusing on her parents is pretty much missing the point.  The last two Star Wars main sequence films were shit for so many reasons, some of them more fundamental than even the themes of destiny, heritage and eugenics the main character should or should not have.  The franchise is a terrible mess, and making Rey a Skywalker won't fix that.  If anything, it will make the myopic galaxy of the sequels look even smaller and more sterile.  It's like Disney threw out all of the old EU and then quickly grabbed back its worst tendencies for their movies.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 14, 2019, 03:38:15 PM

There was a cute little moment at the end of the Episode 9 panel.  After they showed the trailer, the lights came up and there was Ian McDiarmind on the stage by himself.  He's standing there for about a minute, with a goofy grin on his face, while the crowd is cheering at him.  He keeps raising the mic to his mouth like he's about to say something, and then lowering it because he can't stop grinning.  When he finally manages, he says, "Roll it again!" in his Emperor voice.
Short version

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 04:20:27 PM

The easy way to sell the Kylo Ren your-parents-were-nobody thing is that it's the flip of Empire Strikes Back--this time the bad guy IS lying about parents to fuck with the good guy.

But honestly, it's not only dull to make Ren's father to be Luke Skywalker, it's nasty--it means Luke was either a fucking liar who wouldn't acknowledge his own daughter or that he was a lying fucker who didn't know he had a baby with someone (and the Force neglected to send him a paternity message).

If they're going to play around with clone tanks, of course, anything can happen. The "Skywalker" in question can be Anakin, even.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 14, 2019, 05:36:48 PM

They cloned 1000 Lukes who had 2,400 children and this woman is the best that came out of it. I mean why not? Clones are pretty much as bad a Time travel for a Coherent story.

Fuck sake this is getting like fans of Sonic the hedgehog at this stage. "THIS NEXTGAME WILL MARK THE RETURN TO SONIC GREATNESS!!" "THE GAME IS MARVelous..."  "how dare you say the game is shit! Infidel..." "ok ok its shit" *next game annuncement* "THIS NEXTGAME WILL..."

I am so done with this shit.

Hic sunt dracones.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 14, 2019, 05:38:50 PM

I don't understand why anyone think it needs to "return" to greatness in the first place, maybe that was the case after the prequels but the sequels have both been pretty great. And its not like fucking clones have not been featured throughout the entire franchise since movie fucking one.

I am the .00000001428%
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #41 on: April 14, 2019, 06:06:24 PM

What’s messing with everyone is that last film we removed the need to have specialness.  Luke was made unimportant. Ok. 

Now we’re told this film is about his family or genealogy?  Ya.  It’s confusing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 14, 2019, 08:04:24 PM

Right. That's the dumb thing. It was dumb when heredity crossed over with "we're a bunch of religious monks with a philosophy about life". Make up your fucking mind: this is either the story of hereditary mutants or it's a religious order, the two don't play well with one another UNLESS YOU KNOW that's what you're doing--e.g. having a religious order get its panties bunched up because here comes some fuckface who hasn't studied the eternal mysteries but in fact he's really strong. There are wuxia movies that pull that successfully, but the deal is that it has to really BUG the people who've worked their asses off their whole lives. If you don't do that, what's the point of mixing and matching?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:06 PM

I always thought that seeing the whole SW history as a religious war made it way more interesting.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 09:51:32 PM

Right. That's the dumb thing. It was dumb when heredity crossed over with "we're a bunch of religious monks with a philosophy about life". Make up your fucking mind: this is either the story of hereditary mutants or it's a religious order, the two don't play well with one another UNLESS YOU KNOW that's what you're doing--e.g. having a religious order get its panties bunched up because here comes some fuckface who hasn't studied the eternal mysteries but in fact he's really strong. There are wuxia movies that pull that successfully, but the deal is that it has to really BUG the people who've worked their asses off their whole lives. If you don't do that, what's the point of mixing and matching?

The funny thing is, if it is hereditary the Jedi Order spent thousands of years doing their best to remove Force users from the galaxy by turning them into monks who weren't allowed to have attachments. Or else, we just never got to see the Jedi fertility clinic in the lower levels of the temple.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 14, 2019, 10:30:55 PM

I think everyone is concluding things based on too little information.

The movie showed that Luke Skywalker wasn't special....except for the part where he had an epiphany, reversed course, pulled off an insane feat of the Force and saved the galaxy.

Rey is a nobody....except we base this on some strange vision in a Dark Side Cave (tm), and backed up by the chief bad guy and why would he possibly lie about it?  Or maybe he was talking about their shared parentage, and his calling them "nobody" was him telling himself it was okay that he totally just murdered his dad and almost murdered his mom.  Half the story is about Kylo turning his back on his parents.  Kylo is technically also a Skywalker, by the way, which may be worth keeping in mind.

But nobody knows who Rey is!....except there is a strange familiarity between her and both Solos, with Kylo, with Maz, and possibly with Skywalker himself.  Yoda and Obi-wan basically lied straight to Luke's face, so why do we think Luke wouldn't mislead her?

Everything is still on the table.  I watched Last Jedi two days ago, and I don't think we can conclude anything about anything. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 01:52:23 AM

As my "let me tell you why the internet thinks Star Wars was ruined" friend keeps telling me the title has no real meaning. There's apparently an interview with Kathleen Kennedy, head of Lucasfilm, where she states that it's basically a clickbait title?
Fuck if I know but he is adamant about it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:55 AM

No way is it just simple clickbait.  It means SOMETHING.  But there are so many possibilities of what it could mean....or are there?  This is the third and final entry in the saga, and it will follow the formula of the good guys getting all scrappy, pulling their shit together, and winning the day.  Therefore, the title is to have a positive connotation, you can be sure. 

Anakin coming back?  Doubtful, if for no other reason than the fans would utterly fucking hate it in the strongest possible terms.
Luke himself coming back?  Possible, but it wouldn't feel right or work as a passing of the torch to the next generation, which seems to be a theme of the trilogy.
Rey herself?  I still think she could be a Skywalker, even if it comes from the Solo branch.  There are still ways this can work, the chief hurdle being how/why she was sent to Jakku.
Kylo Ren.  He is a Skywalker.  He wanted to emulate Vader so bad it consumes him.  The emperor is returning, Rey still thinks she can turn Kylo.  Maybe she DOES turn him, and he is the one who rises, and goes off to confront and kill Uncle Palpy, ironically fulfilling his Vader dreams after all.

The details won't end up being precisely like any of the above, but I don't see any other logical possibilities that don't refer to either Luke, Rey or Kylo.  And given the general Star Wars theme of redemption....I think it is Kylo's redemption.  Could have been Rey, but that would have required her going dark in TLJ.

Fringe Theory:  Palpatine is actually somehow a Skywalker.  We already know Anakin's mom was a slave and that she claimed immaculate conception as far as Anakin was concerned.  Maybe he literally or figuratively filled Schmi with creamy white Midichlorians.  Why else take such an interest in the boy?  I doubt this is the explanation, but it was a fun bit of speculation.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 07:39:04 AM

If the Rise of Skywalker title means nothing, it is one of the dumbest clickbait red herrings ever created. If it means something, then the whole "new generation" trilogy is just the last vestiges of the old trilogy dying off like the story if "Grumpy Old Jedis." Neither is worth a damn so without a clever reason for that title, I stand by my knee jerk reaction that it is dumb as shit.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 08:00:44 AM

I thought about the "Palpatine as Skywalker" possibility, it makes as much sense as any other possibility.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 08:01:07 AM

If the Rise of Skywalker title means nothing, it is one of the dumbest clickbait red herrings ever created. If it means something, then the whole "new generation" trilogy is just the last vestiges of the old trilogy dying off like the story if "Grumpy Old Jedis." Neither is worth a damn so without a clever reason for that title, I stand by my knee jerk reaction that it is dumb as shit.

Grumpy guy with spiky hair is right.

Honestly I am mostly worried about that we are getting Star Wars by the Director-Who-Made-Startrek-Into-Darkness. Urgh.  swamp poop

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 08:06:10 AM

Remember JJ loves setting up mysteries. He hates paying them off or explaining them and prefers to do just distract everyone with NEW mysteries, even if the new mysteries contradict the old ones. This approach could be called "making shit up" or "Lost."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:15:52 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 10:49:24 AM

Eh, that's mostly Lindelof's influence.  If you watch Alias, or really anything Abrams made without Lindelof as the writer, he does actually solve the mysteries he sets up.  Abrams had very little influence on Lost, for instance.  It was mostly just the pilot.  After that it was all Lindelof.  And Into Darkness was written by Lindelof.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:08 AM

Yes, Lindelhof is who to blame for Lost even though I really liked Lost.

/grenade

The entirety of Lost was better than the entirety of The Last Jedi.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 11:30:48 AM

Why get worked up about any of this?  The story went through two different directors with no over-arching plan.  So anything they come up with now is just going to be pulled from someone's ass. 

I'm just going to enjoy the movie when it comes out and roll my eyes at the appropriate moments.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 15, 2019, 08:49:34 PM

This looks like grasping, desperate bullshit to me.  This current series has no inspiration other than "Milk that fucking nostalgia DRY".
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 15, 2019, 10:11:34 PM

A theory I saw was that we will get a sort of proxy fight between Palpatine and Luke (or Anakin) with them being Force Ghosts controlling and/or coaching Rey and Kylo. It sounded utterly ridiculous to me but I can almost see it happening at this point.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: April 15, 2019, 10:19:34 PM

No one's ever really gone!   swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #58 on: April 16, 2019, 05:56:23 PM

Idk why anyone would expect any kind of halfway decent universe building or plot from the mainline SW at this point. Those first 2 were drek in those regards. Hopefully whatever this mess is convinces someone to grow a pair and never make a prequel again and move the fucking story the fuck along to somewhere, anywhere.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 16, 2019, 09:34:30 PM

A theory I saw was that we will get a sort of proxy fight between Palpatine and Luke (or Anakin) with them being Force Ghosts controlling and/or coaching Rey and Kylo. It sounded utterly ridiculous to me but I can almost see it happening at this point.

So something like Real Steel or any other bullshit marionette style manipulation of characters.

You know, I wouldn't put it past Disney  ACK!

Star Wars needs to stop being 3 sets of trilogies and actually expand the universe past the characters and storyline  that I went to see as a kid in the movies in the 70s and 80s. Only Rogue 1 came close to being halfway good. Everything else since Empire has been rehashed drek with no vision*. Lucas didn't really have a mapped out plan past E4 and half the fanfic writers out there can outdo the last 5 episodes in terms of quality.

* Except Maul... and it was tragic that they didn't involve him more.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 16, 2019, 11:18:50 PM

The most obvious explanation for the title is that Kylo ren turns good.

Because that is what happens in return of the Jedi.

And what with the last two films being direct remakes of star wars and empire, and this involving endor, the emperor, and lando flying the millennium falcon, it seems fairly likely we're going the same way.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 16, 2019, 11:36:13 PM

That is where I would put my money if forced to.  During TLJ, we were given plenty of reason to believe he was undecided, and killing his own dad had the opposite effect on him than he expected.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: April 17, 2019, 01:36:00 AM

Keep in mind that Rian and JJ had disagreements about where to take the story, and Rian has made comments to the effect that JJ is probably going to retcon some of the events of TLJ in order to bring it back in line with his vision.

If there isn't an Ewoks vs First Order battle scene in the third act I will be amazed.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 17, 2019, 03:24:47 AM

Not sure if you are joking or not, but that is entirely plausible given what we are seeing.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 03:27:52 AM

So you expect 9 to be a "cover version" of 6 in the same way that 7 was basically a cover version of 4?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 05:29:26 AM

8 was such a mess I’d be fine with JJ shitting all over its vision, even if it means 9 will suck.  Because it’s probably going to suck anyways.  I accepted 7 even with all its flaws in the hopes that it was simply a setup for something new and good, and that was dashed to the rocks with 8.

I’m not done with Star Wars.  I thought Rogue One was great, and while Solo was nothing special, it was still enjoyable.  I’ll potentially be happy with many future TV series and movies set in the universe to come.  They can have a lot of fun with the universe.

But this new trilogy has mostly been a cluster fuck with random enjoyable moments.  It honestly amazes how badly they flubbed it, but when you know a movie is going to make billions regardless of what you do, I guess you should expect the directors to get extremely lazy.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 06:34:12 AM

Abrams has said  that he will "honor" Johnson's reveal on Rey's parentage but that "there's more to the story than you've seen".

So here's what I think is going to happen: we're back to Rey-is-a-Kenobi--the *granddaughter* of Obi-Wan, so that her parents were indeed sucky and horrible 'nobodies' who abandoned her but her grand-dad was still someone important.

There really isn't anybody else meaningful in the previous films who can have a secret child where the revelation doesn't flat out retcon Johnson's "your parents were nobodies". I suppose Palpatine could have had a secret child who then had Rey. Or Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen, I guess. Or midichlorian holy ghosts could be making all sorts of ladies pregnant.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:39 AM

Jesus Christ, I fucking hope Rey isn't the child of anybody important. Making her a nobody may have been the best choice Johnson made in TLJ, because all of his other choices were trash. Giving her Jedi heritage would totally kneecap the "kid with Force powers" scene at the end of TLJ and return the Force to fucking particles in the bloodstream.

Can a blood transfusion give you Force choke, George?

Goddamnit, just thinking that phrase makes me fucking angry on a level I should not be.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 08:11:56 AM

I dunno man, Star Wars is basically about family lineage. Can't really see a way around that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:33 AM

The only lineage in Star Wars is the Skywalker family.

Rey is probably going to be the parents of no one famous but her parents probably had some relation to some story in the past. Or whatever. Making her a famous scion of a old character is just stupid.

Unless she's Kylo's brother. Then it'll rhyme, like poetry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  
Jump to: