Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -- new EA Star Wars game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -- new EA Star Wars game  (Read 30579 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #105 on: September 04, 2019, 01:46:14 AM

I haven't played an Assassin's Creed in forever but in Far Cry at least it didn't seem to make a difference. It was all first person and I'm not sure even cutscenes really showed your character and I never noticed any difference in reactions or dialogue based on gender. Still, the option is nice to have.

This game is more of an Uncharted/Tomb Raider game from what I see. That means it's probably not worth it to them to do two or more versions of cutscenes for different genders and such so they made a choice. I get that. I'd probably have been happy with any human protagonist (I'm a speciest, what I can say. "Human Power!")

In Far Cry, it doesn't really make a difference due to 1st person silent protagonist, but given that you're playing as a character and that the character is essentially a tabula rasa, it's nice to put your own spin on it. Besides, it's got that co-op element to it as well, so my African American deputy ran around with my wife's Latina as we shot the shit out of the game's multi-racial religious nutso hillbillies, and that had a nice feel to it.

On the other hand a game like Assassin's Creed Odyssey is also 3rd person has two genders with a shit ton of animations and voiced cut scenes. And the Mass Effect games with two genders are all about the voiced cut scenes too. So it could've been done -- they just chose not too.

And I'm ok with that. Like I'm ok with the lead in Gears 5 being a woman, or not being able to choose the gender of Aloi or the race of Nathan Drake or to play as Peter Parker vs Miles Morales vs Spider-Gwen in the Spidey game (though that last one would have been quite cool). I'm good with a mixture of choice, assigned race and/or gender/(species), and pretty much everything in between for games.

Like I said, context matters a lot. I was in a lore argument here a few years ago over Space Marine when a couple of people were all like "why can't I be a female Space Marine for this videogame?" and the (very reasonable, I thought) answer was "thirty years of established lore from the game's licensor". Reply then was "they should just change it" (for this licenced game that will be forgotten in 2 years), to which I pretty much facepalmed. OTOH, GW should have changed it with the advent of the Primarins revamp a couple of years ago - a missed opportunity for sure there.

On the other hand, shit like Ubi's piss-poor excuses for not having a female option for AC: Unity "animashuns are too hard for make at woman player" on the other hand, I'm not cool with.

Mass Effect is a massive (hah!) RPG with tons of choice and a detailed character creator. I'm not saying they couldn't have, minimum, given a choice between genders. I'm just saying it's weird this specific game got pushback on it when others are given a pass. I don't buy "Star Wars is progressive" because the whining of the Incels about Rey and Finn is deafening these days. And let's not forget, Padme died because she was bummed her boyfriend broke bad.

Star Wars has become progressive, and that's genuinely a good thing. I like Rey and Finn. The problem I have with Star Wars is that of the four new movies, one has been good (R1) one has been decent despite (or because of?) being a retread (TFA), one has been pretty bad but ok if ou have super-low expectations (Solo) and one was just fucking awful (TLJ). The issues there weren't because of the casting or the genders or races of the actors - just like Sam Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson and even poor old Hayden Christiansen - all of whom are good to amazing actors - the issue is with the writing and directing - which includes the totally lame way that Padme went out. But as much as we old nerds love the OT, Lando and that Bespin security guard may as well have had "token" patches on their clothing, which amazingly was still better than what we saw in ANH.

It's not weird it's being picked on cause it's EA.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 04, 2019, 02:07:50 AM

On the other hand, shit like Ubi's piss-poor excuses for not having a female option for AC: Unity "animashuns are too hard for make at woman player" on the other hand, I'm not cool with.

To be fair, a woman skeleton is different to a male skeleton, so if you want to do it right you do have to make different animations. Japanese and Korean games are ctually very good at mocapping with the different Genders for their characters, so theres no reason why UBI couldn't have done it if they weren't lazy fucks and not spend a bit of extra cash. Or you could go the GTA 5 route and effectivly just add tits and a waist to the male model and call it a day. 95% of people woudn't notice or give a shite if they did.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 04, 2019, 07:49:58 AM

The problem with using Revan is that to use Revan you have to nail down some basic facts that due to game mechanics they left vauge, like basic things like Revans gender. If the were to use that character, it will probably be as some humand that has evoilved into something completly nonhuman in order to keep the game "cannon," and to explain why he is alive 1000 years after KOTOR. Or actually slap a face on Revan and risk pissing off group X Y and Z.

The most popular solution when other games use Revan is that he/she wears a mask. It was the same solution Kotor itself used in prerendered cutscenes and solves pretty much all issues.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:42 AM

The most popular solution when other games use Revan is that he/she wears a mask. It was the same solution Kotor itself used in prerendered cutscenes and solves pretty much all issues.

True enough. Mask, obviously robotised voice and away we go.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 04, 2019, 09:03:20 AM

Prior to Disney and Revan becoming Legends he was by "canon" male and the Force Exile (KOTOR2's main character) was female. I don't think it matters too much though in the SWTOR MMO he's also a male when you fight him in a raid.

On the other hand a game like Assassin's Creed Odyssey is also 3rd person has two genders with a shit ton of animations and voiced cut scenes. And the Mass Effect games with two genders are all about the voiced cut scenes too. So it could've been done -- they just chose not too.

And I'm ok with that. Like I'm ok with the lead in Gears 5 being a woman, or not being able to choose the gender of Aloi or the race of Nathan Drake or to play as Peter Parker vs Miles Morales vs Spider-Gwen in the Spidey game (though that last one would have been quite cool). I'm good with a mixture of choice, assigned race and/or gender/(species), and pretty much everything in between for games.

This is pretty much where I am. I think when I was much younger I might've sometimes made choices based on that but as I grew older and became less stupid it stopped mattering to me. On a side note, I bet if the Spidey game was made after Into the Spiderverse those options might have been available. I think that movie hugely raised awareness of those characters, arguably Spider-Gwen more than Miles because she was such a scene stealer.

Like I said, context matters a lot. I was in a lore argument here a few years ago over Space Marine when a couple of people were all like "why can't I be a female Space Marine for this videogame?" and the (very reasonable, I thought) answer was "thirty years of established lore from the game's licensor". Reply then was "they should just change it" (for this licenced game that will be forgotten in 2 years), to which I pretty much facepalmed. OTOH, GW should have changed it with the advent of the Primarins revamp a couple of years ago - a missed opportunity for sure there.

This is actually a reason Space Marines are such a huge turn off to me in games where they're available. They're barely even human and are all big brawny dudes. I just find them very meh as characters. Give me Imperial Guard over them anyday since they're, you know, actual people.

Star Wars has become progressive, and that's genuinely a good thing. I like Rey and Finn. The problem I have with Star Wars is that of the four new movies, one has been good (R1) one has been decent despite (or because of?) being a retread (TFA), one has been pretty bad but ok if ou have super-low expectations (Solo) and one was just fucking awful (TLJ). The issues there weren't because of the casting or the genders or races of the actors - just like Sam Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson and even poor old Hayden Christiansen - all of whom are good to amazing actors - the issue is with the writing and directing - which includes the totally lame way that Padme went out. But as much as we old nerds love the OT, Lando and that Bespin security guard may as well have had "token" patches on their clothing, which amazingly was still better than what we saw in ANH.

Star Wars itself has. Some of the fanbase, not so much as we all know. Rey gets bitched about so damned much. I constantly have Yotube videos on my feed that are bitching about Rey or SJWs ruining Star Wars. I'm actually confused by it because I don't watch those kinds of videos so I don't understand why Youtube keeps popping them up to me.

Also, just for shits and giggles, my ranking of the Disney Era Star Wars movies.

The Force Awakens - The best of them. It's a retread but it was on purpose to show fans we were past the Prequel era of movies. And I genuinely like every single new main character. (Finn, Rey, Poe)
Solo - I didn't think I'd like this one but it won me over when I caught it on Netflix. I think it got screwed by its release being so soon after TLJ to be honest. That said, I'm glad it killed all the "Here are movies with backstories of characters because we can't think of a single new thing to do in this huge universe we have."
Rogue One - It has 45 minutes of awesome at the end. The rest of the movie is a drag and Jyn is a super boring protagonist who doesn't make any decisions until that last 45 minutes. She just sort of sleepwalks wherever Cassian drags her.
The Last Jedi - *sigh* It turned BB8 into a joke. Finn's plotline was a waste of time. The concept was good the execution was awful. The same applies to Poe's plotline. Rey's plotline...I actually liked. I even liked grumpy old man Luke who was lost in regrets and had turned his back on the galaxy. I liked the character of Rose but thought she was handled poorly. (The actress did a good job but the writing for Rose in general was bad.) Speaking of, I haven't seen her in any of the Rise of Skywalker trailers yet...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:04:56 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #110 on: September 04, 2019, 10:01:46 AM

To be fair, a woman skeleton is different to a male skeleton, so if you want to do it right you do have to make different animations.
Which is true if they have different skeletons. Or you can just share the same one like they almost certainly did with Odyssey -- i.e. the male and female models are extremely similar in size and I wouldn't be surprised if the underlying skeletons are identical or nearly so. Also makes modelling armor sets a lot easier.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #111 on: September 04, 2019, 04:02:41 PM

To be fair, a woman skeleton is different to a male skeleton, so if you want to do it right you do have to make different animations. Japanese and Korean games are ctually very good at mocapping with the different Genders for their characters, so theres no reason why UBI couldn't have done it if they weren't lazy fucks and not spend a bit of extra cash. Or you could go the GTA 5 route and effectivly just add tits and a waist to the male model and call it a day. 95% of people woudn't notice or give a shite if they did.

Absolutely, but they did already have female NPCs, which would have had a few of the animations - not nearly as many as PCs, obviously - but it would have been the lazy/cheap answer. Or perhaps it was planned and dropped early becaiuse of crunch (did they say something like that? I forgot), since the released game was far from properly finished/QAed?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #112 on: September 04, 2019, 04:27:57 PM

This is pretty much where I am. I think when I was much younger I might've sometimes made choices based on that but as I grew older and became less stupid it stopped mattering to me. On a side note, I bet if the Spidey game was made after Into the Spiderverse those options might have been available. I think that movie hugely raised awareness of those characters, arguably Spider-Gwen more than Miles because she was such a scene stealer.

Agreed - I think when the inevitable sequel comes out for PS5, there's probably a good chance of some stuff like that being incorporated into it. Maybe even some kind of ..what was that game? Web of Shadows? Where you play as different Spideys through the game. I could see that happening.

This is actually a reason Space Marines are such a huge turn off to me in games where they're available. They're barely even human and are all big brawny dudes. I just find them very meh as characters. Give me Imperial Guard over them anyday since they're, you know, actual people.

They're fine in their own way. The issue with them as characters is that they're often portrayed as far more one-dimensional then they need to. Even back in the 1990s there were books where they had a lot more nuance added to them aside from "for the emprah!" and a few other catchphrases - and that's been expanded on so many times now across a fair few books that are actually, you know, decent. I mean, we don't get that in videogames because kil kil kil.

Star Wars itself has. Some of the fanbase, not so much as we all know. Rey gets bitched about so damned much. I constantly have Yotube videos on my feed that are bitching about Rey or SJWs ruining Star Wars. I'm actually confused by it because I don't watch those kinds of videos so I don't understand why Youtube keeps popping them up to me.

Yeah, well, we can't have blacks and girls in our whiteboi treehouse, after all. I do wonder though - if the new movies had been overall amazing or at least much better (think MCU level) quality rather than subpar if these toolbags would have gotten as much traction as they have. What's his name? The Quickening? Something like that. He keeps popping up in my feeds and I have to keep whackamoling him (after that first 5 or 10-min listen I gave him out of curiosity).

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: September 04, 2019, 10:21:22 PM

Agreed - I think when the inevitable sequel comes out for PS5, there's probably a good chance of some stuff like that being incorporated into it. Maybe even some kind of ..what was that game? Web of Shadows? Where you play as different Spideys through the game. I could see that happening.

It was Shattered Dimentions, where you play Spidey, Ultimates Spidey, Spidey 2099 and Spidey Noir.

In Web of Shadows you fight Venom infecting an entire city with Symbiotes.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: November 14, 2019, 07:48:07 PM

I set my Xbox One to New Zealand location about 5pm my time today and played about 4 hours of this. It's fun and definitely harder than I expected though not "throw your controller at the wall" hard. I'm on the 2nd planet and have seen stuff on both of the first two planets I can't get to yet and will have to backtrack to when I get new Force powers. It's hard to judge how much game there is so far though I have 3 planets to explore so far. Interestingly I found the coordinates to one of them by just exploring on the starting planet. My little droid scanned a wall mural and it was like "Coordinates for <semispoiler> found."

It's definitely not a hack and slash game. I've seen a bit of variety in enemy types so far. Several types of wild life and I think half a dozen or so different types of stormtroopers with different attack styles you have to adjust to. Things can get quite hectic when the game mixes different types in, especially if some of them have attacks that can't be blocked and you have to watch for those and dodge them. The worst for me so far was two different kinds of scout troopers wielding stun batons , 2 regular stormtroopers and a stormtrooper with a missle launcher all at once. That was a wild fight!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:50:01 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: November 14, 2019, 09:46:58 PM

Early reviews are, like, extremely positive.  Huh.  I did not see that coming.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #116 on: November 17, 2019, 09:19:42 PM

The story is surprisingly good and while the controls are clunky as fuck and somewhat counter-intuitive when you start, once you're used to them, it's on. 

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:47 PM

Is this a game where a controller is preferred? 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: November 18, 2019, 06:14:19 AM

I played it on Xbox One and the controller was just fine. I can't compare it to keyboard and mouse so I don't know. I will say, in general I had zero issues caused by controls.

That said, this game is hard as hell sometimes. I purposefully avoided Dark Souls and I've heard this game called Dark Souls lite so I think I made a wise choice. There were a few boss battles where I was almost like "this is as far as I can get in this game" but I somehow managed to pull off a win. Oddly, the final boss battle was relatively easy but I also had a nearly full powered character and had gotten marginally better at the fighting as the game went on.

I quite enjoyed the story and think something like this would have made a good "A Star Wars story" movie. I also have to say this:

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: November 18, 2019, 07:32:37 AM

So, this is on steam.

Did everyone decide not be assholes all of a sudden, and/or is this going to do something awful to my PC?

I see a load of small print on the steam page but I'm too tired to decide wtf it all means in practice.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #120 on: November 18, 2019, 07:44:15 AM

I think EA realized no one was going to drop Steam just because it didn't have EA games on it, so stopped making shit Origin exclusive.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: November 18, 2019, 01:37:02 PM

They announced a partnership for EA Access to come to Steam recently, so I'm guessing a good chunk of EA games will be coming back to Steam but launch through the Origin client.  Just like like Fallen Order does and how Ubi does with Uplay.

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-and-valve-partnership
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 19, 2019, 05:35:20 AM

Really dislike the way the controls feel--like, the first fifteen minutes are the tutorial from hell with bad jumping shit mixed in. But yes, I'm also interested in the characters and situation.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 19, 2019, 01:33:18 PM

Really dislike the way the controls feel--like, the first fifteen minutes are the tutorial from hell with bad jumping shit mixed in. But yes, I'm also interested in the characters and situation.

It took me a bit to settle in but by the last 1/3rd of the game I was feeling like a Jedi bad ass. I was also playing on Xbox One so if you're on PC it may control a lot differently.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 19, 2019, 04:22:55 PM

On PS4 for this.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #125 on: November 19, 2019, 06:52:11 PM

Apparently I need to eat crow because I have ended up liking this. It really feels like SW and I care about where the characters and story goes.

Oct/Nov 2019 has actually been somewhat decent for releases.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #126 on: November 19, 2019, 07:39:56 PM

PS4. Like I said, the controls are shit at first, but once you’re used to it? Dark Souls/Mirror’s Edge with lightsabers. The story on top of that? Fucking Aces. This is the shit I’ve been looking for in the Star War.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #127 on: November 19, 2019, 08:53:40 PM

A good Star Wars game and a good Star Wars TV show release at the same time?  Something terrible is going to happen now.  The universe demands balance!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 20, 2019, 05:57:51 AM

A good Star Wars game and a good Star Wars TV show release at the same time?  Something terrible is going to happen now.  The universe demands balance!

Not just a good Star Wars game but a good game released by EA that is not riddled with microtransactions or even DLC/Season Pass stuff nor does it have any amount of online stuff. The stuff you get for preordering was relatively trivial too. A couple of extra lightsaber customizations.

I hope it sells like a billion copies so EA goes "Huh, this can actually make some money?"

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 22, 2019, 11:13:19 AM

Borrowing my kid’s PS4 account, and DAMN.  Blown away so far.  It is UnStarCharted Souls.

Also, how the FUCK does the PS4 still manage graphics like this?  Incredible.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #130 on: November 22, 2019, 06:27:01 PM

Finished it. I. Want. Moar.

If this and Mandalorian is what Disney/Lucas is bringing to the table, pump that shit directly into my veins.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: November 22, 2019, 09:03:30 PM

If this and Mandalorian is what Disney/Lucas is bringing to the table, pump that shit directly into my veins.

I feel the same on both counts. On the game front I loved the Night Sister and I only had a couple of issues with how it all ended:

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 22, 2019, 11:48:54 PM

If somehow the last movie is actually great, it will have been and insane few weeks for Star Wars fans. 

But it probably won't be, so two out of three ain't bad.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 23, 2019, 08:13:11 AM

If somehow the last movie is actually great, it will have been and insane few weeks for Star Wars fans. 

But it probably won't be, so two out of three ain't bad.

If Youtube is to be believed* it's going to be a disaster.

*A lot of the channels claiming it have been hating on Lucasfilm non-stop since TLJ if not since TFA.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 23, 2019, 08:34:37 AM

JJA remaking Rotj doesn't sound like a recipe for success to be completely honest.

The first 45 minutes of tFA, sure, that is exactly what he does well. But hey, we'll see.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 23, 2019, 08:46:27 AM

JJA remaking Rotj doesn't sound like a recipe for success to be completely honest.

The first 45 minutes of tFA, sure, that is exactly what he does well. But hey, we'll see.

I enjoyed most of TFA except for seeing the planets explode from the surface of another planet and Starkiller base in general. I've avoided leaks and spoilers for this movie but the trailers, at least, don't lead me to believe we'll be getting ROTJ remade.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: December 04, 2019, 10:17:34 AM

Played this a bit and more interesting than I thought it would be to play, but on the other hand holy hell the utterly bland storyline. I can't even concentrate through a 30 second cutscene of the boring lady. I got that the terminally dull dead Jedi was hiding some kids but have literally no idea why us travelling from planet to planet and then exploring along the only available route forward is helping those kids.

Everyone except the pilot guy is giving me Bao Dur flashbacks.

I haven't got to the telegraphed twist yet but fucking hell I'm going to understand entirely why they turned to the Dark side when I get there.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 04, 2019, 10:20:04 AM

On reflection your pal on starter planet was OK too. If a bit earnest.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 04, 2019, 10:28:04 AM

You've clearly tuned out. You're told very, very clearly why you're doing what you're doing. Multiple times. As for the characters, Cere wasn't my favorite but I dug the story and most of the characters.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #139 on: December 04, 2019, 12:22:38 PM

Expect lots of increasing corporate blanditizing™ to avoid triggering Internets. We're approaching peak retard commentary at light speed and there's nothing wrong with our hyperdrive motivators (reference the Pelaton commercial nonsense).

I've taken to watching Sanford & Son reruns just to remember what it was like when the world was a saner place. Also for research into my new phase of life as Fred Sanford.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -- new EA Star Wars game  
Jump to: