Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Hack Snyder thinks Everything Should Be Like Watchmen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hack Snyder thinks Everything Should Be Like Watchmen  (Read 7043 times)
Raguel
Terracotta Army

on: March 26, 2019, 02:32:44 PM

http://collider.com/zack-snyder-why-batman-kills-in-batman-v-superman/#images

It’s a cool point of view to be like, ‘My heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn’t lie to America. My heroes didn’t embezzle money. My heroes didn’t commit any atrocities.’ I’m like, ‘That’s cool, but you’re living in a fucking dream world.’ The cool thing is like mythologically speaking, I’m 100% fine—and by the way I love more than anything Superman and Batman—but in the same way that Alan Moore was fed up with the fucking like, ‘Okay no, they do this,’ clearly this is a response. Watchmen talks about comic books in the same way that this movie talks about comic book movies, but it talked about comic books at their most—they were broken, so he was just addressing that. The thing with comic book movies is—and you know I’m a fan, I go and see them, I love ‘em…”

People with lesser talent trying to ape Alan Moore is why (ok partially why) a lot of 90s 00s books sucked. Sorry his kid died but so glad this guy is gone.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:17:53 PM

He ruined Superman for me. DC needs to retcon that whole first movie.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:01:54 AM by Reg »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:45 PM

Dude is one of those guys who got in way over his head because of one film and it took this long for the suits to realize it. It happens a lot in Hollywood.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:06:08 PM

Dude is one of those guys who got in way over his head because of one film and it took this long for the suits to realize it. It happens a lot in Hollywood.

He's excellent at every technical aspect of directing, and absolutely awful as an artist (and Dunning-Kruger unaware of his incompetence).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:49:58 AM

Zack Snyder is that douchebro in college who was getting a philosophy minor and who would get a few beers in him and start loudly proclaiming that "You have GOT to read THUS SPOKE ZARATHUSTRA MAN!"

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:35:00 AM

Watchmen was great. Not taking that away from him. Does not take away from the fact that every other movie was dogshit.

Moore made his story with a new universe that he could make his point with. It worked very well in that context. Using an established franchise to make that point would never have worked.

That's assuming that Snyder is not just invoking Moore as a made up excuse as "the artistic reason" his movies sucked.

Hic sunt dracones.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:43 AM

Watchmen is great because Snyder got to make absolutely zero creative decisions regarding it. He just had to literally film an already completed storyboard.

Moore making his story in a new universe wasn't why it succeeded. It succeeding because it asked interesting questions and because the people doing the horrible things were the villains. The Comedian is a fucking villain! That is the point; the heroes cannot do anything about that villain because of how he has allied himself! Rorschach is a villain! He isn't out to help anyone and his revenge just gets more people hurt! Manhattan is a Villain. He literally has no clue how to interact with people anymore. Its not a coincidence that there were no traditional super villains presented in the entire book or movie! They were all otherwise heroes!

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". Snyder isn't making shit because its in an already established world.  He is making shit because his points are shit. (See Sucker Punch)

You could 100% make a movie with Batman as the villain being pursued by the police or an amateur detective. You could have batman maim people and cause loads of hurt and damage and this is why the police/amateur detective need to find him out. You could even end that movie with Batman winning because he is a rich and powerful guy and this could be the point. You could even end the movie with the police/amateur detective joining forces with batman. But if you do that and also present this to the audience as the proper moral choice then you're a fucking hack.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 04:04:13 PM

His remake of Dawn of the Dead was very good, and I say that as a huge fan of Romero's original.  But it's hard to go wrong with a James Gunn screenplay.  Everything since has been downhill.

Also, the philosophy minor comment is dead on.  He's attached to a film adaptation of The Fountainhead.  You can't get much more douchebro-philospher than Ayn Rand.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 05:19:41 PM

The Fountainhead? Urrrgh.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 07:08:36 PM

Yeah I didn't bring up that both he and Goyer (who he worked with on Batman v. Superman) are huge Randian shitcocks.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 10:09:27 PM

Anybody past the age of 30 that hasn't realized that Rand/Objectivism is pure bullshit is just grasping onto a 'philosophical' justification for being a selfish shit-weasel. You have an undeserved sense of superiority and think that the rest of us should be happy just scratching for your scraps. Own it, twirl that mustache, and quit pretending.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 12:01:15 PM

This is a good time to remind people that the Guardians of Ga'Hoole movie was a thing that happened.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Hack Snyder thinks Everything Should Be Like Watchmen  
Jump to: