Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stadia / Orion / Fuck Everything 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stadia / Orion / Fuck Everything  (Read 28956 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #70 on: June 06, 2019, 11:29:02 AM

Stadia stuff announced today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BbW6zAjL0

*Not* a games subscription service -- have to buy individual games (Pro sub gets some free games a la PS+ / Xbox Live)

Have to have Pro subscription to get 4K 60 fps surround sound, (free plebs max at 1080P 60fps stereo)

Pro subscription $10 a month

Need >=35 Mbps for 4K, >=20 Mbps for 1080P, >= 10 Mbps for 720P

$129 preorders to be a beta tester in November open now:

https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:32:43 PM by schild »
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 06, 2019, 11:35:48 AM

Those bandwidth requirements seem to me to be in reach of most broadband connections?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #72 on: June 06, 2019, 11:44:28 AM

In the US yes in theory. I don't know how good our infrastructure is at sustaining the higher speeds though. E.g. Netflix HD streaming only requires around 5 Mbps*. If everybody started trying to stream at 20 Mbps for hours on end I'm not sure what would happen.

Edit: * and service providers are already pissy about that much bandwidth usage
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:54:19 AM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #73 on: June 06, 2019, 12:32:58 PM

tempted to buy a founder's edition and do an actual review but

i uh

i don't want the ouya 2 now w/ streaming and a shorter lifecycle

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #74 on: June 06, 2019, 12:54:29 PM

Damn, I'd forgotten about the Ouya. My mind kept going to the Phantom.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #75 on: June 06, 2019, 01:02:12 PM

tempted to buy a founder's edition and do an actual review but

i uh

i don't want the ouya 2 now w/ streaming and a shorter lifecycle
If they had a game subscription plan like EA Origin Access I would do this to try it out but I'm really not interested in rebuying a bunch of games on top of the $129 just to see how well it works.

Edit: I guess it's technically $60 dollars extra since you have to cough up $69 for a controller even on the free plan.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:04:36 PM by Trippy »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 06, 2019, 01:20:49 PM

This not being a sub type of plan makes me not interested. I don't have time to play $60 games, but I have time to sample a whole bunch of them from time to time.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: June 06, 2019, 01:35:31 PM

the plan is offensively bad
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #78 on: June 06, 2019, 01:43:17 PM

Living outside a metro, looks like I don't ever need to think about the subscription because lol infrastructure. I'm solidly in the 720p range from their estimates.

And the lineup of games is so meh that I'm not even gonna comment on having to rebuy anything.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #79 on: June 06, 2019, 05:08:30 PM

I mean, it seems like the biggest selling point is 1) you can play it on a TV, tablet, or phone instead of your desktop and 2) you can play it in 4k without having to buy the hardware needed for 4k.

I don't see the draw. If I'm not getting free games that I want to play, the convenience of couch play or 4k as opposed to 1080p (since I don't have a 4k TV yet, the 4k isn't even a draw for me) isn't really that much of a draw, especially because I have to play it on a controller. If I want to play games on a controller, well, I have a PS4 for that. At least PSNow gives you a huge library. Why would you pay for this?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 07, 2019, 05:36:57 AM

I don't have a console or even a good gaming PC anymore and I still have no interest. I'd probably be the target for this service.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 07, 2019, 06:48:43 AM

I was worried about 4k gaming on my old pc, but at least with the Samsung Qs, they've done a great job with the scaling. Void Bastards has a ton of linear elements from the cel shading and it's nice and sharp.

I mean, they could be banking on people stuck on the idea of 4k but who hate consoles?

I'm pretty sure this is all about people who want to play decent games on their phones. Since nobody seems to be developing decent games for phones and tablets, this might actually be a good way to get that, if you live in a high bandwidth area that can withstand the additional pressure of these streams (if the service became popular).

For me personally, at 720p I guess it would be ok for a couple games now and again but I'm not shelling out $$ so I can play AAA on the shitter.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:50 AM

I forgot about cellphones. 4G's speed is 5-12 down/2-5 up according to Verizon, which is right on the cusp of playable at 720p; I haven't run a Wifi speedtest in a while so I'm not sure if that would be better, although I doubt I'd ever want to play a PC game on my phone while I'm at home.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #83 on: June 08, 2019, 04:43:30 AM

According to Polygon 60 odd hours of Stadia gaming at 4K is 1 TB of data. Watch data caps across the country crash and burn and more throttling and fast lane surge pricing for Stadia add on packages.
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: June 08, 2019, 06:50:06 AM

Ain't no one gonna be streaming at 4k outside of extremely major cities with fiber and no datacaps. Our infrastructure isn't made for that shit.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 08, 2019, 08:18:12 AM

I signed up for the founders edition. I figured its only$189 cdn and if it sucks then its not the end of the world.
My internet plan is 600mbps down and 20 up with no data cap so should be a good test candidate.

The idea of being able to be playing on the pc and then maybe just moving over to the couch, or if the wife wants to watch tv in the living room easily switching to the the bedroom tv seamlessly is pretty compelling to me.

I am also assuming that they will be providing a bunch of free games with the subscription. I know most of those will be shit, but there is usually some gems in these types of packages.

either way, I'm willing to test it out for that price and i get a chromecast ultra. so theres that i guess.

Professional Forum Lurker.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #86 on: June 08, 2019, 10:05:05 AM

Ain't no one gonna be streaming at 4k outside of extremely major cities with fiber and no datacaps. Our infrastructure isn't made for that shit.

I'd wager to say that the US infrastructure isn't made for the 720p streaming they are talking about doing in anywhere near the capacity they'd need for Stadia to be profitable. And if they are counting on people wanting to play real games on their cellphones with the fakakta piecemeal patchwork of bullshit that is the US cellular system, they are smoking the very best shit imaginable and I want some of it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #87 on: June 08, 2019, 10:26:14 AM

I signed up for the founders edition. I figured its only$189 cdn and if it sucks then its not the end of the world.
My internet plan is 600mbps down and 20 up with no data cap so should be a good test candidate.

The idea of being able to be playing on the pc and then maybe just moving over to the couch, or if the wife wants to watch tv in the living room easily switching to the the bedroom tv seamlessly is pretty compelling to me.

I am also assuming that they will be providing a bunch of free games with the subscription. I know most of those will be shit, but there is usually some gems in these types of packages.

either way, I'm willing to test it out for that price and i get a chromecast ultra. so theres that i guess.
You’ll need a second Chromecast Ultra if you want to seemless switch (i.e. without unplugging and replugging in cables) to a second TV. Right now the only confirmed Pro game is Destiny 2, which will already be free-to-play everywhere (a la Warframe) by the time the beta test starts, though Pro players will get the upcoming Shadowkeep expansion for free which the F2P players will not be getting (yeah let’s keep splitting the player base cause we still haven’t learned!).

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 08, 2019, 11:00:09 AM

I bet the weasel words will be "up to" 4k. Yep, 480 is not over 4k, for sure!!
schild
Administrator

Reply #89 on: June 09, 2019, 06:32:48 PM

i fixed the title
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #90 on: June 10, 2019, 07:23:37 AM

Just watch a little of the Orion announcement?

Why was anyone cheering this? Why the fuck is this even a thing with a name? Bethesda trying to reinvigorate their "licensing software tech" business since no one uses idTech for FPS'es anymore?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #91 on: June 10, 2019, 07:50:59 AM

Because the US has bandwidth caps?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #92 on: June 10, 2019, 08:46:18 AM

Oh, I'm not saying this couldn't be a good tech for games to license, especially esports/streamer focused games. I'm just more gobsmacked that they spent e3 time promoting this to consumers like it was ever something a consumer would ask for. It's like expecting a gamer to say "I won't ever buy a PC without hyperthreading."

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #93 on: June 10, 2019, 09:12:13 AM

Well that whole press conference was shit other than Ghostwire: Tokyo and maybe Deathloop as they didn't show what people wanted to see (Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield) so what's one more turd onto the pile?
schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: June 10, 2019, 10:49:29 AM

bethsoft was an embarassment

i'm glad their employees have hobbies and their fans like dragons though

that was important to know
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: June 10, 2019, 11:02:56 AM

I'm so glad I didn't watch this, I would just have been pissed. Skyrim 2 and Spacerim and are the only things I would have cared about.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #96 on: June 10, 2019, 11:15:12 AM

Ghostwire: Tokyo and Deathloop were very interesting (Arkane  Heart). The rest was truly embarassing. C'mon really, nothing to show about Starfield after a whole year since the teaser? What a joke. There were rumors about development restarting from zero multiple times, this kinda confirms it.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #97 on: June 10, 2019, 11:52:09 AM

the pc thing was bad
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 10, 2019, 12:09:20 PM

the pc thing was bad

Yep, saved only by Frankie Ward in a shark costume and with her 80s hairstyle

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 10, 2019, 03:34:40 PM

Sooooo, recap after the Ubi conference.

Subscription-based stores or whatthefucktheyare (talking about PC):

- Origin Access
- Xbox Game Pass
- UPlay Plus (which will integrate itself with Stadia or whatever I don't know)

And then, online stores bonanza:

- Xbox Store (PC)
- Uplay
- Steam
- GOG
- Epic
- Bethesda
- Origin

Soon:

- Stadia
- Orion

Yeah, I get that lots of those have redundant stuff but....HELP  ACK! ACK! ACK!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:36:28 PM by Lucas »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #100 on: June 10, 2019, 11:18:57 PM

It's kind of expensive compared to EA's plan ($4.99 vs $14.99) and it's not a good value for me compared to how I currently buy one or two Ubisoft games a year when they are massively discounted (usually 50% off, sometimes 33% off) but it might be worth a try for a month after Stadia becomes available next year to the plebs to see what that service is like rather than paying for full price Stadia games that I may or may not be able to play after Google shuts Stadia down.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #101 on: June 17, 2019, 05:25:30 AM

I just read this entire thread.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

I assume game streamings are the future because they will help control piracy. In the distant future.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #102 on: June 18, 2019, 01:24:20 AM

I especially like the thinly veiled intent behind all of the streaming announcements. I also read a recent Twitter thread by one of the business analysts covering gaming (which got retweeted by several people from gaming mags and publishers) which only talked in benchmarks and taget numbers

Firstly everyone was quick to tell us that game streaming won't be the 'netflix of gaming', meaning of course that it won't be flat fee a la carte gaming (see Stadia and how you'll have to pay for individual games on top of the monthly fee)
Secondly they want full publisher (not developer) control
Thirdly they've all been talking about how they want to funnel even more epeople into their free to play style games . The business analyst called it a shift to a more free to play economy and to get more value out of the subscriber base.
Lastly for a lot of publsihers game streaming is not a business model they really want to follow its more a way to put pressure on existing platforms to lower their cuts to preferably below 10% and to get more favorable visibility and coverage with respect to competition and indies.

No one was talking about games only about how to milk their customer base even more while providing even less value and keeping even more of the profits out of the hands of the game developers.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 18, 2019, 06:47:39 AM

Business analysts only talked in benchmarks and target numbers, stop the presses! Do you think record companies are interested in the quality of the music they produce?

I mean, the software service model has been the thing everyone has been pushing for since they realized they could do it. This is not new, nor surprising.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 18, 2019, 09:13:38 AM

And we should resist the fuck out of it.  Or actually, as I stated before, I doubt it is necessary yet.  The new generation of gamers would laugh at the performance.  1080p at 60fps (compressed like fuck and full of quality issues, I don’t care what anyone says) only passes muster for us old folks.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stadia / Orion / Fuck Everything  
Jump to: